PDA

View Full Version : Nieuport 28 ARF

simibill
06-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I just bought one of these for $85 + S/H. It's a pretty neat model, built up balsa and plywood with chinese monocoat covering. I haven't decided on a motor for it yet, maybe a 400XT. The instructions consist of 15 pictures, no other info. French red, white, and blue stripes on rudder and top wing are the only markings.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=297582

WWI Ace
06-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Cool simibill let us know how it flies!!! Steve.

Tinman
06-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Nice looking plane Bill. Keep us upated.

RBean
08-17-2007, 06:45 PM
When I saw the Nieuport 28 ARF ad I knew I had to have one. I think it is the best looking plane to come out of the "Great War". I ordered the package with outrunner motor, ESC and servos from Maxford USA. The plane is all wood balsa and light ply. The kit goes together well with no assembly problems. However the instructions are a series of photos and are essentially wouthless. One who has put together a few ARFs will have no problems. However, lacking was a balance point and control throws.
As with most WWI rotory engine models, one has to get all the weight as for forward as possible. I used a three cell lipo 11.1 v. 1350 mAh, placed as for forward as possible with the ESC also as for forward as possible but still had to add a bit of weight to the nose.
My balance point is 2.5 inches back from the leading edge of the top wing. Control throws are: elevator, up and down .5 inches, 30% expo; alerons up and down 7/16 inches, 25% expo; rudder, one inch, 30% expo.
Take off is fairly streight. Has plenty of power and will fly around fine at about 30 to 40% power. I will do all the normal aerobatics, loops, rolls, snap rolls, spins, etc. The wheels are big enough that one can operate off very short grass. Photos attached. I added a little camo and the roundels.

FlyingMonkey
08-17-2007, 06:59 PM
They need to sell this things with a non glossy covering...

WWI Ace
08-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey RBean that's a very nice plane!!! It looks better than I thought from the pictures on the sellers website!! Steve.

Voyager2lcats
08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I love the Nieuport. I am going to have to scratch build this baby when I finish my SE5a. I agree with FlyingMonkey (hey! I AM a Monkey Minion!), don't make it in a glossy paint finish. Still, beautiful little plane.

Bob

steve crewdog
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Gang,

I've also purchased one of these, but the instructions show the cg at 3.5" back from the LE of the upper wing. With such a big difference I'm concerned. Any thoughts? (How did you come up with 2.5"?)

Thanks,

Steve

degreen60
04-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Now those red DR1s better watch out. HAHA

On my Camel that needed lot of the weight forward I just used 6 1800 Nimh cells mounted on the front of the firewall in an upside down U over the brushless motor. Did not have to add any extra weight.

Wonder if a coating of dull clear would get rid of the glossy look.

Sence I scratch build some of my planes I have to fly (read crash a few times) to find good location for COG. Just start over TALL grass and be ready to cut power.

RBean
04-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi Crew Dog. I e-mailed bu

RBean
04-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I'll try again crewdog. There was no cg info when I got mine. The first time I flew it, it was tail heavy and very twitchy. Had to add a little weight to the nose. CG is 2.5 inches back from the leading edge of the top wing. I rechecked it on the cg meter. It flys good this way. It may be I like more stability than others. Landings or ok also.

steve crewdog
04-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I like stable. If I want twitchy I'll go hang around with my crazy sister. :D

Steve

WWI Ace
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
There is a review of this plane in the new AMA Park Pilot magazine!!! Steve

7car7
05-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I've got a book for RC modeling that discusses CG. (I bet many of you have it)
It shows that a straight wing, with a stagger like the Nieport is pretty easy to figure out.

Looking straight down on the plane, take the measurement from LE Top Wing, to TE Lower Wing. Measure 25% back from that combined number, there's your CG.

Example.
If each wing has a 5 inch chord, and the lower wing is 2 inches more to the rear, your measurement is a total of 7 inches.
Take 25% of 7 (1 3/4 inch) and that's how far back your CG is from the LE of the Top Wing.

What I find interesting is that doing this method, my Great Planes SE5a is a bit off from what the manual says. (Hmmmm...) But it is a great start for a plane that has no instructions, or a scratch build.

dai phan
05-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Can you please post a link to the review of this N-28? Thanks DP

Kmot
11-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Howdy! I just noticed this thread at the bottom of a post I made in another thread about this model.

Yours looks great! I also love the rigging you made for it! I am going through that process right now. Can I ask how you mounted the rigging to the lower fuselage? It looks like you made brackets?

How has your model been holding up?

rhino
11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
They need to sell this things with a non glossy covering...

If you "dust" it with a thin layer of a flat clear, it'll dull the finish down nicely.

RBean
11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Howdy! I just noticed this thread at the bottom of a post I made in another thread about this model.

Yours looks great! I also love the rigging you made for it! I am going through that process right now. Can I ask how you mounted the rigging to the lower fuselage? It looks like you made brackets?

How has your model been holding up?

I made small bracketts with aluminum sheet, small screw and used ca in the screw hole. Used elastic thread for rigging. I still have the plane and it is holding up pretty well. Just learned it will do a great flat spin if you input opposite alerons during a spin. Recovery requires opposite rudder and down elevators.

smit73
06-02-2009, 03:31 AM
I just received my Nieuport 28. I bought the receiver ready version.
I was shocked by the lack of instructions. If anyone would not mind
helping me, I have some questions, as follows:

1. How do you attach the aileron servo box to the wing?

2. What did you use to attach the control rods to the servos?

Thanks for the help Bob

Kmot
06-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Maybe this will help?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40979

http://maxfordusa.com/manual/nieuport-m.pdf