PDA

View Full Version : Floater conversion kits..........

Pilotmikie
07-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Are there any floater kits for a Piper Cub with 35 inch wingspan? Or do I have to make my own? Thanks.

soar-ne
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
GWS makes a float kit for their parkflyers. I used them on a 36 inch sorta ugly stick which I flew off of snow and ice. Never tried them off the water yet, but they use them on Beavers and E-Starters all the time. The kit is only around $10 if I remember right. Includes the struts and the pontoons but you have to assemble everything. The pontoons come in two peices (top & bottom). I used a small amount of GOOP to put them together and then checked in the bathtub for leaks. For the money you cant beat them I dont think!!!!
Good Luck
Bob

There are also many plans around the net for makeing them out of various foams also.

Pilotmikie
07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks, I'll check GWS kits and hopefully post pics when I'm done.

RBean
07-03-2007, 12:37 AM
I put GWS floats on a Wattage Cub. 41" wing span. Flying off water I found that the plane became very twitchy upon coming up on the step. It had a 400 inrunner brushless with a cell lipo and was not over powered. I was told the deep v-hull design of the GWS floats made the plane twitchy. After a crash, (radio failure) I rebuilt the plane and use flat bottomed floats from Float.com. Directional control is much better on take off. Also up graded power. If I can make it work attached are photos with the GWS floats