PDA

View Full Version : Lipo battery balancing?

ENUT
10-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I just started flying with lipo batteries(TP 1320 3S) "How often do the need to be balanced?" thanxs,ENUT

Yes I'm a Lipo newbee:eek:

Matt Kirsch
10-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Truthfully, there's no hard and fast rule for balancing. The older the batteries are, and the harder you use them, the more often you should check to make sure they're balanced. In a perfect world, the cells should probably be checked every flight, but that's only practical if you have a balancing charger like the Skyvolt setup from FMA, or the offerings from Apogee or Thunder Power. With "conventional" packs, the reality is that you'll probably check individual cell voltages somewhat less than every flight. This is okay because under normal circumstances, the cell voltages don't go out of balance all that quickly, and cells that are in good condition and aren't abused won't vary much over the long haul, if they vary at all. Still, it's good to keep half an eye on the situation. ;)

Unbalanced prop
11-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I just started flying with lipo batteries(TP 1320 3S) "How often do the need to be balanced?" thanxs,ENUT

I have been checking and or balancing my 3S TP PL 1320s around every 10 flights. So far, after almost 100 cycles, they stay balanced very well on their own. I check my other brands around every 10 cycles also and they usually are very well balanced. As Matt said, I don't abuse my packs which helps to keep them in good shape and balance.

Doug

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Is there any problem of soldering a connection to each cell to connect a balancer? My balancer only fits/connects to a Graupner battery?

I'm not sure I feel too comfortable playing with Lipos that way...

HGF

Unbalanced prop
11-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Is there any problem of soldering a connection to each cell to connect a balancer? My balancer only fits/connects to a Graupner battery?

I'm not sure I feel too comfortable playing with Lipos that way...
I added taps (very carefully) to a couple older packs and made adapters for packs that already have taps to fit the balancer I use. Some cells have very fragile aluminum tabs to solder to any you have to use special flux. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I would leave it alone. Packs that allready have taps should be no problem converting.

Doug