PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Toucan_e

Madman
07-05-2007, 01:57 AM
I suspect that many of you have seen this magnificent bird?
http://www.turbinetoucan.com/homepage/
And, if you poke around long enough, the GOOD NEWS is that Quique Somenzini has a license to design and build a series of R/C models of this machine.
http://www.turbinetoucan.com/clubtoucan/rc.php
However, there's no indication whether any of these models will be electrified; nor WHEN they might be available for purchase.
I'm already lobbying with Precision Aerobatics, since PA's Katana MD is my current favorite in my hangar; but not knowing just how tight the Q's license might be. If you'd like to join the lobbying crowd (just me, mind you, at the moment), then in the lower left corner of PA's home page (http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/default.aspx) is a mini-window letting you e-mail them with requests for new products.
Anyone else interested in an e-bird version of the TT???

FlyBri
07-11-2007, 04:31 AM
I wished I would have seen it before I cast my vote to PA.
I can't belive no one is talking about the katana md on here.What Color did you get MadMad? I got mine about a month ago and it has been my favorite ever since. It it the best performing plane I ever flown with wicked power on recomended set up. And it's got to be for it's size, the lightest and strogest built plane. Of all the ones in my hanger, and the others no longer in my hanger, the KMD is the best flying plane.
OK enough about the the katana md it's just I get too exciteded talking about it,.. It would be nice to have a I did think of a by plane Fiberfusion Tucan. What an awesome paint sceme on it.

Brian

Madman
07-11-2007, 06:57 AM
I can't belive no one is talking about the katana md on here.What Color did you get MadMad? I got mine about a month ago and it has been my favorite ever since. It it the best performing plane I ever flown with wicked power on recomended set up. And it's got to be for it's size, the lightest and strogest built plane. Of all the ones in my hanger, and the others no longer in my hanger, the KMD is the best flying plane.
OK enough about the the katana md it's just I get too exciteded talking about it,.. It would be nice to have a I did think of a by plane Fiberfusion Tucan. What an awesome paint sceme on it.

Brian
My red KMD is the clone of yours, Brian. Your assessment matches mine. You've got a good looking hangar there ... but a fiberfusion bipe would make it all the better. Hope PA is listening, or that Quique hurries up his production of his TT model in this class.

FlyBri
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks, MadMan, I think the bipe would be nice. I have 2 bipes the new Goldburge Pitts monster 12 e. and the Rogue out of the 2 the Rogue is a much better flying plane, but the Pitts looks cool in the air. Can only imagine what the Tucan would look like flying by.

Brian

Madman
07-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Can only imagine what the Toucan would look like flying by.
BrianProbably a lot like this (http://www.turbinetoucan.com/mmedia/video.php)
but hopefully more maneuvering.:Q
Bob

Toucan
07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Guys,
Just thought we'd stop by and say hello. We are the owners of the Turbine Toucan. Love all the posts. Quique is hard at work getting the first electric production version out. Should be soon now. Kind of boring video, we know.....

As long as we are in the test phase, not a lot of exciting video or stills to look at. That will all change soon enough! We are almost over with all the test work and will proceed with experimentation (at altitude) for next years airshow season.

Any quesions we can answer about the plane just let us know, we're all happy to provide what we can. The RC community is very important to us and is why we teamed up with Quique early on in our program.

All the best.

David Kervinen

smokejohnson
07-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Awesome :silly: subscribed :tc:. The plane is beautiful, I would imagine the power is just off the charts. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Thanks :D

Toucan
07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the enthusiasm! We have a blog on our site we update a few times a week, if we have any fun news to report. The performance is incredible. The plane is so stable, and so smooth, better than we expected honestly. The control harmony is fantastic, the vertical performance is off the charts and we are hoping aesthetically, we struck a cord with people like you. We are seeing 8500fpm rate of climb at about 50% power. Were at 5000ft by the end of a 6000 foot runway.

How will this translate into a good airshow? We are developing maneuvers no one has ever seen before. Our entire airshow program (which includes the plane) is about differentiation. Were not out to compete with the Sean Tuckers of the world, but complement their work.

This fall well start shooting some nice video to share, once we are out of test mode, which is extremely tedious, but rewarding.

Madman
08-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey Guys,
Quique is hard at work getting the first electric production version out. Should be soon now.
Any questions we can answer about the plane just let us know, we're all happy to provide what we can. The RC community is very important to us and is why we teamed up with Quique early on in our program.
All the best.
David Kervinen
Hi, David ... welcome to the unreal world ... that's trying to emulate your real world.;-) Some of us let our bodies get too old and decrepit to do any more what you guys do every day, but that doesn't mean we don't miss it. So we turn to our models as the next resort (and the simulations thereof on our computers).
Any chance we (meaning you:Q) can persuade Quique to establish a thread, or hook up with this one, to let us track his progress with his first electric model as it evolves? That was a fantastic adventure for the KMD prospective buyers and stakeholder owners/operators when PA let us track their progress through design, testing and release, and thereafter. He may find himself with a bunch of speculative investors buying while betting on the come. Most initial KMD model owners made purchase commitments 4-6 months ahead of productions release. Count ME in.
Thanks for joining up. Best wishes to you all, and every success with your magnificent machine.
Cheers,

Toucan
08-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Greetings,
I can pass this along to Quique and see if he can get started on the thread but I think he is super busy. Between travel (around the world), working on prototypes and all I can't even connect with him very often. That said, I will do what I can.

I think this is the one time where the real world is trying to immulate the RC world. You guys have been doing 3D for years, we are new to the game!
dk

Gnascher
08-01-2007, 02:07 AM
What an awesome machine you have! I am green with envy that your full time job is playing with this bird ... and I only get to fly my "tooth picks in close formation" on the weekends.

Glad to see you pushing the envelope in the 1:1 scale world ... hopefully I'll get to see you at an air show near me sometime.

Toucan
08-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Ill tell you, its not all what it seems from the outside. My life savings (and others) and home is on the line. We cannot get insurance on the aircraft for the first 40 hours of flight (test period), so you tell me if Im having a good time. When we can get insurance, the annual premium is the cost of a decent new car.

Actually, I am having the time of my life. It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done with my life. This is coming from a guy who spent 20 years in the film industry, who worked on 20+ feature films and has won two Emmy awards, and it doesnt compare with the experience of developing an aircraft like this. What is better then the aircraft is the people. Aviation enthusiasts are a very special group. No matter if it is scale models, or full-scale aircraft, the passion and camaraderie is what it is all about. It is that connection that really inspires me.

Do I have a good job, no. Do I have a great job, yes. But I will not have a successful job until we have secured our fortune 500 sponsorship and have blown you away in the process.

Gnascher
08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I’ll tell you, it’s not all what it seems from the outside. My life savings (and others) and home is on the line. We cannot get insurance on the aircraft for the first 40 hours of flight (test period), so you tell me if I’m having a good time. When we can get insurance, the annual premium is the cost of a decent new car.

Actually, I am having the time of my life. It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done with my life. This is coming from a guy who spent 20 years in the film industry, who worked on 20+ feature films and has won two Emmy awards, and it doesn’t compare with the experience of developing an aircraft like this. What is better then the aircraft is the people. Aviation enthusiasts are a very special group. No matter if it is scale models, or full-scale aircraft, the passion and camaraderie is what it is all about. It is that connection that really inspires me.

Do I have a good job, no. Do I have a great job, yes. But I will not have a successful job until we have secured our fortune 500 sponsorship and have blown you away in the process.

Point taken ... reward definitely comes with risk. I'm guessing that getting that sponsorship shouldn't be too difficult once you're able to prove the machine. Seems the corporate world trips over itself to sponsor even the dumbest crap ... and your machine has cool-factor that tips the scales heavily. Maybe Froot Loops (Kelloggs) will sponsor you ... then you don't need to add any silly out-of-character stickers to that gorgeous plane!

Toucan
08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Yah, I didn't mean to come off sharp, just trying to be funny. Corporate sponsorship is a very long sales cycle. We're in talks now but anything can happen at any given time. It's hard to operate without it, that is for sure.

Please keep an eye on us, we'll be posting video on the site soon enough. dk

Gnascher
08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Yah, I didn't mean to come off sharp, just trying to be funny. Corporate sponsorship is a very long sales cycle. We're in talks now but anything can happen at any given time. It's hard to operate without it, that is for sure.

Nope, not too sharp. I see from your site you've had some successful flights and are seeing some impressive performance. I can't wait to see what happens as you open the envelope more.

Keep it safe, and happy landings!

Madman
08-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Can't wait to see the vids. Any chance you and/or Quique would/could post some 3-view dwgs for us so the designers at RealFlight G3.5's KE forum can get started laying our R/C model simulations? Any/all specs for the e-model will also be much appreciated once you all are comfortable releasing them to the public eye.
What? Who me? Whaddaya mean "too anxious"?:< Every good wing has a leading edge.

Toucan
08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Hey there,
We don't have any 3 views that we could actually share. We have full scale blue prints/drawings but they are hard to scan and we have an agreement with Quique Somezini regarding drawings, so at the moment we can't provide them. Really sorry about that.

Madman
08-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Hey there,
We don't have any 3 views that we could actually share. We have full scale blue prints/drawings but they are hard to scan and we have an agreement with Quique Somezini regarding drawings, so at the moment we can't provide them. Really sorry about that.
No harm, no foul ... unless Quique refuses to share the essentials with the modelers on RF G3.5. That would not makes us happy campers. We understand all there is to understand about competitive sensitivity and proprietary interests, and respect it completely, but there should be a time when the basic 3-view and performance info should become public. Can't simulate a bird that's invisible to us.:sad:

Toucan
08-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Fair enough. You all have most of the data if you look at our spec page;-)

We'll do what we can for you! dk

Toucan
08-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Exciting news from the Toucan Team; we have slowly started introducing aerobatics/unusual attitudes into our test regime. The airplane saw extreme angle of attack attitudes (75%+ deck angle) at very slow speeds:ws: We then brought in the power and was able to accelerate out of high alpha to between 3500-4000fpm maintaining the same deck angle. This is all in an effort to work into hovering and accelerating out of the vertical, so we are on track.

Lots of traditional maneuvers have been explored, and the control harmony of the plane is better than we have expected. Weve been as fast as 200kts straight and level cruise so we are creeping up on the speed.

We have had 12 squawk free flights and have now introduced the entire fuel system. The duration of flights is now well over an hour. Our next venture is to go up high and establish all the at altitude profiles for the plane before we close out the phase one test flights. We are quickly rounding up on 40 hours, so well be able to return to SQL in about another week. Then it is off to exploring the potential of the aircraft.

Madman
08-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Anyone have a paper towel. I've gone and salivated all over myself.::o
HOW EXCITING ... and congratulations on meeting your expectations.

FlyBri
08-05-2007, 01:54 AM
WOW! thiat is great I can't wait to see you at an airshow. and now can't wait till QQ releases this arf. the world needs a better rc ep biplane :)

smokejohnson
08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm still having a hard time believing it. It's going to be mind blowing to see it in action. Thanks for keeping us posted on whats going on.

jayxer
08-16-2007, 05:46 PM
wow, congrats on the accomplishments so far, and good luck to you and you're team on a successful campaign! I know its propably way too early on for you guys to even worry about, but I have to hope that EAA in oshkosh is on your list of airshows to attend!!!!!

Madman
08-16-2007, 06:40 PM
For those interested modelers waiting for Quique's announcements/pronouncements regarding his TT_e adventure, I thought I'd copy here from the big bird's news site, so we can follow the phenomenal progress of the point-of-departure of "our model".
Toucan, will your website have some new pix and vids soon? Yes, we understand that your priorities are elsewhere, and in the right place, but we selfishly stand by and wait, with drool oozing down our chins.:ws:
10 knots From History
Monday, August 6, 2007, 07:32 PM
Nothing could be more rewarding than making a place in aviation history. Not because it is an ego thing but because it represents an achievement or a benchmark that is universally recognized by like-minded enthusiasts. From the conception of the Turbine Toucan, one major goal, though not a principle reason for building the plane, was to break the worlds fastest biplane record. The record was set back in 1941, by an Italian Fiat CR42B at a speed of 323 mph.

Little can be found about the circumstances of that current world record, which makes it a bit frustrating. Because the FAI does not recognize Biplanes as a particular class, it makes it even harder to find a way to not only legitimize the claim, but also properly record the attempt with the correct equipment to substantiate the claim. This is where we hope to get support from the National Aeronautical Association. Either way, its going to happen and hopefully before the end of this November.

A milestone was made this past Friday by creeping up to a straight and level speed of over 205kts (235mph) indicated @ 6500ft at about 70% power. Though we know the plane will go much faster, we only need another 10 knots of indicated airspeed to obtain our goals. If we can take 215kts indicated up to 32,000ft (under waiver) we will true out at 362kts @-35F. This number translates to 407mph TAS (true airspeed). If we can pull it off, we'd be the only biplane in history to break the 400mph mark.

The entire team feels very good about the ability to reach this goal this year, so well keep you posted on our attempts. And if that were not enough, we plan on three other world records by years end. When we get a little closer, we'll fill you in on the other attempts. Were just waiting for a little colder weather now.

Toucan
08-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Hey All,
We are installing the bleed air system in the plane at the moment, which is a fairly complex install. Bleed air is what is going to provide us cabin heat for the venture up to 17500ft and beyond. We also activated the on-board oxygen system and should have these two things complete by end of week.

My point with this was, once we are done with these systems and checking them all out, we'll starting working on some VIDEO (and stills).

Thanks for hanging with us, we'll get you some new stuff to look at very soon! All the best, Team Turbine Toucan.

Rabbitcreekok
08-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Thanks for keeping us informed.

Spencer J
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
"Beauty: The simation of the parts working together in such a way that nothing needed to be added, taken away or alterd"

-Carlaty

Toucan
09-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Infinity Entertainment Inc. and Quique Somenzini are proud to preview the first of several models in the works! Quique has been hard at work developing an electric that is not only a great flyer but one that best balances the esthetics of the original Turbine Toucan, and we think he’s nailed it! The first model (pictured on www.turbinetoucan.com) is fully ARF and very quick to assemble. Preliminary info includes wingspan of 41inches and length of 45 inches. Class and weight information will be coming soon.

Only 4 servos required to drive all control surfaces! Also, the TT will have a very unique system to attach the wings that makes the assembly at the field just a matter of a very few minutes, simple amazing! Stay tuned, a lot more info to follow soon enough!

To see Quique's new electric, check it out at http://www.turbinetoucan.com/clubtoucan/rc-2.php

Madman
09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
A bit smaller than I'd personally hoped for, and it looks like all the lifting surfaces are flat? Is it a foamie? What's the next in line? No doubt a gasser? Is a larger electric in the plan? If so, when?

When will the particulars become available for modeling in the simulators? Need 3 clean (top\front/side) views, and a few key dimensions.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Toucan
09-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Quique would best answer those questions. He did say it flew very very well for 3-d stuff. A few more planes in the works, you are correct. This is the first out of the gate from what he told me last week. We promised him we'd host the photos on our site. It's not a foamie. The wings have a very neat system for easy installation at the field, which is a plus.

Madman
09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
The Q-man is a very busy guy, so he's not real good about providing answers, although he does try to correspond in answer to a direct question at his website. Guess we'll just wait and see.

Toucan
09-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Yah, he is even hard for me to get a hold of. He travels all over the world and has lots of irons in the fire for sure. He'll keep us all posted. We really just wanted people to know it is being worked on and is not smoke and mirrors here. have a good one Madman!

Madman
11-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Been about 6 weeks since we last heard anything. No progress with the model evident on the real-airplane website. Has the "Q" given up on this one, too? Looks like someone is delaying the E-Flite Pitts 12 (http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2550) also, which is another of his long awaited designs.
Is there a story here?:<:

Toucan
11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey Madman,
Sorry we haven't posted anything lately. We've been SUPER busy with Sponsorship Ops and ICAS coming up. I can't speak to the E-Flite stuff but I did talk to QQ a little over a week ago. Things are going very well on the QQ's TT. I should have some video to post on the Turbine Toucan site shortly. I believe QQ is in Argentina at the moment but things are moving forward.

Hope that helps! David

Toucan
12-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I just uploaded a few short clips of the Turbine Toucan, the bird is in its element, sort of speak. The take-off clip shows the Toucan with over 528lbs. of fuel on board which is more then twice what we'll carry on our time to climb record attempt (though we already broke the C-1C record by 40% on our first practice flight). The high speed pass has a sound which is all its own. We were really worried that a turbo prop might be way to quite for air show crowds until I made a pass at better then 242mph, not bad for level flight in a biplane. The real magic will start to happen when Ken Erickson takes the Toucan through its paces in never-before-seen maneuvers. Thanks again for all your continued support over the past eighteen months!

We'll have the clips on our site soon enough but for now, please go to either youtube.com or www.airshowbuzz.com (under new videos). Links provided for youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhSLbQHL74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARFM1gxE6As

Madman
12-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Thanks, David. Fantastic machine, as we all predicted.
Guess the "Q" man is too busy to produce his R/C model of the Toucan, huh? :sad:
I got tried waiting for a new model bipe, so I went ahead and ordered the newly released E-flite Pitts Model 12 (also a "Q" design). Since it's in the same general size range as Quique's delayed release of the Toucan as advertised at your website, but not his, I wonder what he will do to make the Turbine Toucan_e "special" to those of us who impatiently purchased other bipes while waiting?

Toucan
12-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I understand your frustration. We don't hear much from him either, he has been in Argentina for a few weeks. It will happen, its just not happening as fast as we all hoped. Infinity Entertainment Inc. is not in the business of building or selling RC planes, just so you know. This is all QQ's efforts since he purchased rights to sell the Turbine Toucan.

That said, don't give up please!!! It will happen and we'll do what we can to be supportive of the RC community at large. Thanks for your kind note. David

Toucan
12-05-2007, 11:53 PM
WOW, The E-Turbine Toucan Debut!

Geee Whizzzz,
If the news about Quique becoming FAI’s F3A World Champion wasn’t enough, we just received some exciting video of the E-Turbine Toucan. We’ll upload the video on the site in the next week or so but in the mean time, check it out on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUwup_5n7E

This is some exciting news! I’m sure Quique will keep us posted on the production kits coming out soon, so stay tuned!!!!

Madman
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Suppose this is still the only one in the world?

Thanks for the link, David. His flying seems to match the real bird's behavior patterns pretty well. He's definitely a winner in all respects. Just slow in bringing new bipes into the world. The Python 100 is still the only bipe he sells at his own website, and its a gasser. Sure wish his model TT-e would come out just a tad larger (maybe 60" span, say) than his Pitts 12 design. Mine gets here tomorrow according to UPS.
If you look at Quique's performance with his Pitts 12, in the following link, I can't see a lot of discrimination between it and his TT-e in your YOU-tube link.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Files/EFL2550-Hi.wmv