PDA

View Full Version : Precision Aerobatics Katana Mini Now Distributed by Atlantahobby.com

atlav8r
08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Cumming, Georgia 8/01/05
Atlantahobby.com the nations leader in providing innovative Electric Flight products to consumers around the world announced today that it would be the exclusive importer and distributor for the exciting new Precision Aerobatics Katana Mini.

About the Katana Mini
Two-piece removable wings with a CF wing tube make the Katana Mini a compact, durable, and easily transportable package. Cliff Whitney Owner of Atlantahobby.com stated The Katana Mini is an exciting flying machine and one of the highest quality aircraft we have seen in a long time. When we saw the quality construction and the extensive use of Carbon fiber throughout the aircraft we knew it was a winner. Its clever design is capable of any maneuver you ask of it but gentle enough for relaxing flying around in the neighborhood. The Katana Mini uses Advanced laser cut materials and the highest quality building technology for a superior product. Some of the features include 4 different color schemes,
Fiberglass pre-painted cowl & wheel pants,
Tinted canopy,
Carbon fiber reinforcements (wing spar, fuselage, leading edge),
Carbon fiber control horns,
Carbon fiber pushrods,
Carbon fiber wing tube,
Carbon fiber wing socket/sleeve (inside the wings & fuselage),
Carbon fiber anti-rotation wing pins,
Carbon fiber landing gear,
Carbon fiber reinforcement ribs in the fuselage, All of this adds up to provide a structure that is extremely lightweight and strong.

With a large commitment to volume and a close working relationship with Precision Aerobatics in Australia Atlantahobby.com is now able to bring this aircraft to market. Mr. Whitney went on to state You will not find an aircraft for under $200 with the features and quality build like the Katana Mini has. We plan to offer the plane at the incredible price of $119.99 and will carry a large range of parts and combos to make it easy for pilots to fly the best!

About Atlantahobby.com
Originally launched in 1978 as Whitney's Glider Supply, Atlantahobby.com is a privately held Georgia corporation located in Cumming, GA. Atlantahobby.com mission is to deliver the highest quality E-Flight products to consumers and dealers around the globe. The company is blessed to be located in a very rural area 45 miles north west of Atlanta, Georgia and is fortunate to have two locations, one for flying and testing new products and one for its retail storefront and mail-order activities. Cliff Whitney is the company owner. Mr. Whitney has been called a visionary by Internet and retail industry executives. He is recognized as an eCommerce industry innovator who helped to design and create the world's first on-line photo storage and sharing systems. These systems, now owned by Eastman Kodak as O photo and also known as AOL's You've Got Pictures. Cliff has been a guest lecturer at universities and large corporations around the world, has served as a guest columnist in over 11 national magazines. Mr. Whitney is a sought after retail and Internet consultant working with some of the nations largest retailers.

Dealers are invited to Contact CliffW@atlantahobby.com for distribution details

atlav8r
08-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Here are a few Photos

atlav8r
08-05-2005, 12:04 AM
A few more Photos

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-05-2005, 02:22 AM
I have seen this plane in person and about fell over. The thing was amazing! Covering was perfect, and more carbon than one knows what to do with. Beautiful fiberglass cowling too!

Mike Parsons
08-06-2005, 05:48 PM
It flys great too!

Doppelganger
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I thought these planes were sold for 109.00? Did you guys add something to the kit?

atlav8r
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
I thought these planes were sold for 109.00? Did you guys add something to the kit?

Thanks for the note Doppelganger,
Yes, There has been quite a bit done to the production kits we will be receiving and the design will continue to improve in the future as most all planes do. The first planes were already nice but a few changes to mention are,

New gear attachments inside the fuse
New Canopy Material (thicker Plastic)
New Instruction book (larger photos)
Even the box has been redesigned to better protect the product in transportation.
Hope this helps, it really is an exciting aircraft!
Good Winds
Cliff

Jason T
08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
This is a great looking plane. I have seen it in person. :)

Jason

Mike Parsons
08-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I just came from Cliffs and got to oogle all four colors built and RTF. They are just stunning....

-Mike

Doppelganger
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I wish they made the new instruction manual a PDF. The first one was horribly done. The pictures are incredibly small. I'm not a master plane builder. The only balsa ship I've built is the Mini Sportster. So the pics are important for me. I'll probably sell my Katana. I picked it up for 90.00:) It's a great plane, but it's not without more than a few flaws. Even Czec instructions are clearer and have better illustrations than the one that came with the first batch of Katanas.

A beautiful bittersweet kit.:)

Steve

atlav8r
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the note, yes, small photos but a nice book none the less. Most instructions are more illustrations vs actual books (Fliton as an example) but this aircraft could be built without the instructions as it is more assembly now that actual building.

It sounds like what you really want to see is larger Photos and this has been done in the new airplanes as well as some additional details on a few of the sections. There will not however be an electronic version.

I appreciate your feedback, and I will pass it along to the designers. we are always working to improve all of our aircraft designs.

Good Winds

Doppelganger
08-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Why no electronic version? I'm sure you have the manual on your Hard Drive, or CD? A few minutes with Acrobat and Voila!!!:)

Steve

atlav8r
08-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Why no electronic version? I'm sure you have the manual on your Hard Drive, or CD? A few minutes with Acrobat and Voila!!!:)

Steve

Thanks Steve,
PA does not allow an electronic version to be published.
I am sorry but even I don't have one.Is there a portion of the construction I culd help you with?
I am happy to mail you one of the new books when the new planes arrive in a few weeks.

Cliff

papasmurf
08-27-2005, 09:51 PM
the gear for the planes sold in the first run? I have one from the first run and it flies great but you cannot land it without the gear folding or ripping out. I had three very nice landings before the landing gear ripped from the plate. I have had it completed for several weeks now and cannot fly it while I am looking/waiting for a solution. PA used to be an active participant in their thread at RCG but curiously has gone silent for several weeks now.

atlav8r
08-27-2005, 10:22 PM
the gear for the planes sold in the first run? I have one from the first run and it flies great but you cannot land it without the gear folding or ripping out. I had three very nice landings before the landing gear ripped from the plate. I have had it completed for several weeks now and cannot fly it while I am looking/waiting for a solution. PA used to be an active participant in their thread at RCG but curiously has gone silent for several weeks now.

Even though you have not purchased the plane from us, If you have had issues with your gear and it is defective from the factory I will be happy to replace it for you when I get ours in stock. Just send your gear to our address (below) and I will send you a new set as soon as they land here in the states no charge at all. I am also sure that the dealer where you purchased your plane will do the same as will Precision Aerobatics. I would suggest you first drop them a note directly via email (if you haven't already). If you have any issues I am always happy to help. I have a lot of spare parts on order for the planes and will support the product as we do with all of our other planes.

I have flown several of the earlier versions which had a lightening hole in the gear mount which made it a little weaker and would suggest a small piece of liteply to reinforce the inside of the fuse where the landing gear attaches. This with a small piece of triangle stock on each side of the fuse and against the firewall to brace the new lite ply should make the mounting plate bullet proof with little weight added. Note you will need longer screws to go through the new lite ply piece.

Our aircraft are 1 week ahead of schedule (on the water for 1 week now) and I am enjoying flying mine every few days.
Good Winds and hope this helps?

papasmurf
08-28-2005, 12:20 AM
I have already cut out a new plate for the gear to mount to. Do you know whether the new gear is still pieces? Thanks again for your help.

Hotshot Charlie
08-28-2005, 12:29 AM
What motor/battery/ esc combo are you using on this? Servos? This plane looks nice.
Also, when will it be available with a good supply of parts to back up the purchase?

atlav8r
08-28-2005, 01:12 AM
I have already cut out a new plate for the gear to mount to. Do you know whether the new gear is still pieces? Thanks again for your help.

Yes the gear is in two pieces.

atlav8r
08-28-2005, 01:19 AM
What motor/battery/ esc combo are you using on this? Servos? This plane looks nice.
Also, when will it be available with a good supply of parts to back up the purchase?

Thanks for the note Charlie,
I have used many many motor combos in our testing and like the Himax 2025-4200 the most. Easy one screw install and over 40 OZ of thrust with a 12-6 prop and a TP 2000 pack. The AXI 2808-24 outrunner and the new large Hacker Outrunner also make a good power combo.

Our aircraft are 1 week ahead of schedule (on the water for 1 week now), The exact date is in flux due to customs etc but I expect them by the 10th-15 of September. It looks like our full 40ft container load of aircraft might be sold out by the time it gets to us however so if you think you want one visit www.atlantahobby.com (http://www.atlantahobby.com) pick a color and get your name on a slot.

Good Winds

Hotshot Charlie
08-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks Cliff for the info. I will be checking out your website. I am mainly a heli flyer, but this little plank looks nice.

atlav8r
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Good news,
The ship (named the Wilson) docked on 9/5 a few days ahead of our projected schedule and if all goes well customs should clear the shipment today or tomorrow. We started the clearance process while the ship was still well out at sea as we do with all of our containers so I am still on track to have the full container in Atlanta around the 13-15th. We will start filling the large bakorders to consumers and dealers then. This shipment will also have a good suply of spare parts available.

I am flying my KM a lot and have just been having a blast with it each time I take it out.

Good Winds
Cliff Whitney

Walter Phillips
09-12-2005, 09:27 PM
There is a thread on RC Groups on the Katana Mini. One of the members has recommended a gear from TNTLandinggear.com. He shows a few pictures of it installed. It is a bit heavier. I am waiting for a Mini from the next batch. I called TNT and ordered a gear in anticipation. Price is around $22. They had the dimensions on hand when I called.
Another recommendation is a Fliton gear that I understand Atlanta Hobby carries.
Happy flying. Walt

papasmurf
09-13-2005, 12:10 AM
I have been an active member in the katana mini thread at rcgroups and am planning on purchasing the gear from TNT. I think they quoted me $30 with S&H. I like the one piece design and they look like they match the stock gear perfectly.

Walter Phillips
09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
My landing gear from TNT arrived today. It looks great and came to $30 with S&H. Waiting for the plane with anticipation. Thanks for the help.

atlav8r
09-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Container cleared customs two days ago (Thursday) and we hope to start shipping late this next week.

We have posted some new videos of the KM flying and you can see them here
http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=5778 (http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=5778)

Good Winds
Cliff Whitney

Mike Parsons
09-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Thats an awesome video Cliff!

Mr. Baggins
09-21-2005, 03:04 AM
Spoke with Cliff tonight and he said any day now. His words were something like this.
"They are on a train now headed in my direction and if they aren't here and flying out the door by the end of the week I'm gonna fold up." Something along those lines anyway. :) He gave me some impromptu motor recommendations and was really accomodating considering how busy he must be. Thanks Cliff and hope to see you posting some good news here soon.

Bill

atlav8r
09-22-2005, 02:40 AM
We started shiping today so I will not have to be jumping out of any windows!

Mr. Baggins
09-22-2005, 02:45 AM
My brother called me and told me they showed up on the site earlier. He should be pressing the Buy Now button about right now. I'm right behind him. Have you had a chance to sample the ones you received?

watt_the?!
09-23-2005, 12:56 AM
a young friend of mine was given this plane to do some flying videos...

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/Download.aspx?6oSD1eGoxagxKKyJtkb5kYI4IVe4q3Kipm0p wudyo3g@05 (http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/Download.aspx?6oSD1eGoxagxKKyJtkb5kYI4IVe4q3Kipm0p wudyo3g@05)

hes a bit of a gun and very resourceful. we got him to do some JJ and AFF Laser videos too if anyone wants to see them.

tim.

Hotshot Charlie
09-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Link didn't work for me, server error???

watt_the?!
09-23-2005, 01:11 AM
PA's site isnt working fo0r the video.

im uploading the video he sent me to my site.standby.

tim.

here 'tis:

www.totalerc.com/rcstuff/JamesArmstrongflyPAKatanaMini.mpeg

9mb.

Walter Phillips
10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Received my Mini with the Hi-Max package from Atlanta Hobby. It is one of the best looking ARF's I have seen. The build and covering are perfect. Mine did not have a ding or bump in it from shipping. I have a TNT landing gear that I ordered and received before the plane got here.
Off to the bench to build. Will let you know how it flys.
Thanks Cliff for getting it to me after I E-mailed you. Great service.

atlav8r
10-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Received my Mini with the Hi-Max package from Atlanta Hobby. It is one of the best looking ARF's I have seen. The build and covering are perfect. Mine did not have a ding or bump in it from shipping. I have a TNT landing gear that I ordered and received before the plane got here.
Off to the bench to build. Will let you know how it flys.
Thanks Cliff for getting it to me after I E-mailed you. Great service.

Thanks Walter!
I know you will have a blast with it,
Cliff

Hotshot Charlie
10-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Ok gang, those that have gotten these planes.....

What are you running on them? Motor, ESC, Servos, Battery Pack?

Walter Phillips
10-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi Charlie,
I just received mine. Have the HiMax 2025-4200 with a 6.6:1 gearbox. ESC is a Castle Creations 25. I have yet to get the PH-Linx to work and be able to program the ESC on the computer instead of using the beep-flash method. When I first purchase it my ESC's were too old. This one must be too new (-: The servos are HS55's. Battery will be a Polyquest 2200 at 11.1V(3cell). Also have an aluminum landing gear that I bought from TNT Landing Gear ($22 plus shipping).
Walt from RI

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Walt,

Do you have the himax GB where you can change main gear?

If you do, go for the 5.5:1 setup with the same 12 x 6 prop.

Tim.

Hotshot Charlie
10-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys.... sounds good ! Anyone else with their favorite setups?

Walter Phillips
10-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks Tim. Will give it a try as soon as I get it built. Hard to believe we are exchanging ideas from Australia to RI. These forums are something else.

atlav8r
10-10-2005, 12:23 PM
We just got in the newest Torque motors (260+Watts). Not up on the site yet but I think this will be the best all around performer.
CW

Walter Phillips
10-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Ran into a few problems with assembly of the Mini. Think I saw the problem with the wing bolt holes not lining up with the fuse holes mentioned on RC Groups. Also the bottom of the front fuse has square corners and the cowl is round. Anyone run into this and how did you solve it?

NUTS
10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Got mine from Atlanta Hobby today. "I love that big brown truck"
YOU THE MAN CLIFF!

Walter Phillips
10-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Got mine from Atlanta Hobby today. "I love that big brown truck"
YOU THE MAN CLIFF!
Big Brown stops here so often even if he does not have a package he toots and waves. I'm sure he thinks I am running a hobby shop out of my house.
You are going to love the construction job on the Mini.

watt_the?!
10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
We just got in the newest Torque motors (260+Watts). Not up on the site yet but I think this will be the best all around performer.
CW

Hi Cliff,

What are the specs for these?

i.e. internal resistance, no load current, kv?

Tim.

atlav8r
10-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi Cliff,

What are the specs for these?

i.e. internal resistance, no load current, kv?

Tim.

I gt this one up for now, It is the same spec as the A30 28S Hacker but has a lower KV. http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=5953
CW

atlav8r
12-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Just a quick note that the second container load of aircraft docked November 30th. These are now in customs and should be to us in a few days so all colors will be back in stock next week intime for us to fill the big list Santa has given us.
Cliff