PDA

View Full Version : Eco 8/16 motor

dotyj
07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Hi all:

I've got a hankerin' to build either an Eco 8 or Eco 16 but I have a question or two.

I know everyone will tell me to go brushless, but I can't, it's too expensive.

I've got a Graupner Speed 500 brushed motor and a Jeti JES 250 (I know it has a break, but that is disabled with a jumper) speed controller.

Yeah, I know this is not a great setup for stunt flying, but I'm not ready for that anyway.

I also have a seven channel receiver I can use and a five channel transmitter.

So, my questions is this. Will this setup work with the Eco 8, Eco 8 Royal, or hopefully, the Eco 16?

CHELLIE
07-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi all:

I've got a hankerin' to build either an Eco 8 or Eco 16 but I have a question or two.

I know everyone will tell me to go brushless, but I can't, it's too expensive.

I've got a Graupner Speed 500 brushed motor and a Jeti JES 250 (I know it has a break, but that is disabled with a jumper) speed controller.

Yeah, I know this is not a great setup for stunt flying, but I'm not ready for that anyway.

I also have a seven channel receiver I can use and a five channel transmitter.

So, my questions is this. Will this setup work with the Eco 8, Eco 8 Royal, or hopefully, the Eco 16?

Hi dotyj :) here is a great place to buy a brushless motor for about the same price as a brush motor, hope that helps, Chellie

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=63&ParentCat=59

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=61&ParentCat=182

dotyj
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Okay, so those are good prices. Now, if I spring for the extra $50 or so, which wouldn't kill me, I could use my Hi-Tech transmitter (I think) and buy the Eco 16.

I assume a 25amp speed controller would be plenty, but which motor would I need?

CHELLIE
07-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Okay, so those are good prices. Now, if I spring for the extra $50 or so, which wouldn't kill me, I could use my Hi-Tech transmitter (I think) and buy the Eco 16.

I assume a 25amp speed controller would be plenty, but which motor would I need?

I will look into the Eco 16 I also like the Eco 8, If memory serves me right, Ikarus made a new world record with either there Eco 8 0r Eco 16 in flying a heli non stop for over 1 hour, amazing , i will list some motors for you, after i research them more, Chellie

dotyj
07-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Looks like I'd need to get a different speed controller after all. I found my manual and my old speed controller has a low voltage motor cut off. That's just great for planes, but I expect that would be very bad for helicopters. :)

Helihobby has package deals. I've sent them an e-mail looking for an Eco 16 with this package:
- 67900 ECO-16 Helicopter Kit without Motor
- HH384 12C NiCD 14V CP2400
- 620151 ECO Performance Motor
- 720667 Heli 4000 Digital Brushed ESC
- 720615 Ikarus Smart Micro Gyro
- HRC31081 HS-81 Hitec Servo (Nylon Gears)
- WSD1300 Large Deans Ultra Plugs

I've also asked for a transmitter crystal to match the one in the receiver I've got.

I expect this to cost at least $500.00. I was hoping to use my existing motor/speed controller to save $100.00 but I don't think that will happen.

dotyj
07-11-2007, 01:53 AM
I couldn't work out a way to buy an Eco 16 for a price I was comfortable with, so I went with a T-Rex 450S with everything needed to fly. Just over $500.00 with shipping.

CHELLIE
07-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I couldn't work out a way to buy an Eco 16 for a price I was comfortable with, so I went with a T-Rex 450S with everything needed to fly. Just over $500.00 with shipping.

Kewl that will work great, good deal, you will have a lot of fun with that heli, and may never outgrow it, Take Care & have fun, Chellie

Wazza
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi Chellie,

I have recently bought an ECO 8 Royal and I'm looking for a good brushless motor/ESC combination.

I saw the help you gave dotyj and I was wondering if you could suggest something for me.

I'm a newcomer to electric helis and would appreciate any help with this.
I wouldn't say that cost is not an issue, but I'm quite happy to spend a bit to get some good quality kit.

Many thanks.
W

CHELLIE
11-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Hi Chellie,

I have recently bought an ECO 8 Royal and I'm looking for a good brushless motor/ESC combination.

I saw the help you gave dotyj and I was wondering if you could suggest something for me.

I'm a newcomer to electric helis and would appreciate any help with this.
I wouldn't say that cost is not an issue, but I'm quite happy to spend a bit to get some good quality kit.

Many thanks.
W

Hi, There is a lot of information on this page, with different motor set ups, what type of batteries will you be using, I think its best to use lipos myself, here is the link, Take care, Chellie

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t284241p1/

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t321715p1/