PDA

View Full Version : I need to seek professional help

dotyj
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Please, please, someone give me the strength to just say no. Please.

Two years ago I bought my GWS Dragonfly II, as some of you may have read. I gave up pretty quickly due to rising repair costs, lack of skill, and not knowing a practiced R/C copter pilot.

A few months ago ona whim three of my buddies and I boughr IR controlled two channel cheapo micro helis. What fun! We've had a ball with those.

A couple of months ago I bought a Blade CX2 and have crashed a lot but finally got to the point where I can fly through a battery without crashing and can fly to where I want to and land with accuracy. I no longer even fly with the training gear on. I've recently given the CX2 and all my spare parts to a close friend who is one of my buddies who bought an IR helecopter and owns an Axe CP so that she could give it to her room mate who's expressed interest in learning to fly, but is legally blind.

That wasn't enough for me though so last month I bought an Axe CP. I'm just now getting to where I can hover for up to a minute indoors (middle school gym where I work), and 15 seconds or so outdoors in a slight breeze. I'm just now at the point where I've been able to practice through a battery without breaking something. Today marked the second battery in a row with no crashes! Yeah!

But I just had to try my hand at something with a belt drive. :( I'm spiraling out of control here. I looked at the Eco8/Eco16 with longing but was talked out of them by an online r/c shop. I really couldn't get into either copter for under $500.00 and still get quality electronics.

So I bought the $499 combo with Spektrum DX6 T-Rex 450S from one of the online r/c shops yesterday.

The nicest transmitter I own is the one that comes with the Axe CP. I've got a couple of small receivers floating around with nothing to do, but I thought that heck for this kind of money I'm getting what I hear is a great helicopter and after having used the spread spectrum radio that came with my CX2, I'm totally hooked on them.

Plus this copter comes with what appears to be a decent brushless motor and speed controller, and a good sized 3 cell lipo pack with an el-cheapo lipo charger. I ordered a decent lipo charger to go with this setup though.

For the money I think I made a better choice. Plus, although I wanted to go with something with close to 48" diameter blades, I just couldn't have done so with a package I would have been very happy with. Maybe next year?

See, I'm doing it again! I haven't even received the T-Rex 450S and I'm already talking about next year!

I'm telling you all, I really, really need help!

CHELLIE
07-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi Dotyj :) your OK, just drink 2 Margaritas after your flights and you will be fine :ws: But dont drink and fly ;-) I thought I needed help too, but the Margaritas did the trick :silly: What, I cant be out of money in my account, I still have more Checks :Q Take care, Chellie

dotyj
07-12-2007, 07:56 AM
What's funny is that Saturday night two of my buddies and I went to the gym where I work at around 9:30pm or so. We brought two Axe CPs, a Dragonfly II, and a CX2.

One of my buddies left at around 10:30pm or so but the other buddy and I stayed until we ran out of batteries at close to midnight. By then I'd broken all of the Axe CP blade grips that I had in my toolbox (3 of them) anyway. Since then I've not broken any parts so I've certainly improved.

Anyway, we packed up, picked up our litter, put the beat up ping pong table we were using a repair hanger back where we got it, turned out the lights and went to a local bar for Zomies. :)

We came back to my place (We walked by the way) at around 1:30am and sat talking about our flights and played penny whistles, guitar, and ukuleles until 3:30am.

Six hours later we went to a local restaurant for breakfast, I bummed a blade grip from my buddy and we went flying for a couple more hours. It was amazing how much better we'd become.

We came back to my place and chatted some more, mostly about how our flights had been and where we were doing well, as well as where we weren't doing well.

My buddy then left for her place in Seattle some 160 miles north of me.

No, really, I think there's something wrong with me.

My buddy from Seattle will be back down the weekend of the 20th. Why? So we can go fly in the gym some more. Maybe there's something wrong with her too?

CHELLIE
07-12-2007, 08:07 AM
You all have been bitten by the RC bug, and it will never be the same for you, its infectious, and needs to be treated with more and better planes and helis :ws: and more Zombies, I have had this bug for 40 years, It just gets worse, there is no cure for it, Sorry, but true, :silly: Now that you know, Go for it ;-) and have fun, Chellie

dotyj
07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
40 year, wow.

So, when did you get into electric helicopters, and what was your first electric helicopter?

I know nothing about the history of r/c helicopters at all.

I'd played with line control planes in the late '70s. I tried my hand at a glow powered 3 channel r/c plane in the early '80s with no success.

In the late '90s I got a two channel toy r/c plane and did pretty well so I bought a GWS E-Starter and killed it, so I bought a GWS Beaver which I've not had a successful flight with yet, but I haven't killed it, except for a damaged horizontal stabilizer and elevator when I moved a couple of years ago.

I also have a 4 channel r/c Cessna 182 park flyer which I have flown succesfully and look forward to flying again as soon as possible.

Really, I'd only just recently, within the last two years when I bought my Dragonfly II discovered there was such a thing as electric powered r/c helicopters.

Murdock1
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Ya, most people get bit pretty bad, I know I did. I've been messin around with my CPP since March 9th of this year. I'd never flown any RC craft before, although I did spend about six weeks prior to getting the Pro with the G3.5 sim and that really helped. I'm embarassed to say how much I've spent on parts, suffice it to say I'm sure it's enough that I could've had a DX-7 and a 450 SE V2 by now. (Not really but it feels like it).

I dream about helicopters now. My daughters call me 'Rotorhead'. I go into conversations with non-heli people about my latest exploits and they get a glassy eyed look and call me a geek.

Oh well, it's a blast. I get an adrenaline rush everytime I lift off and watch that little bird do what I want it to.

dotyj
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I get very excited now when ever I manage to hover for more than 15 or 20 seconds. It's amazing what a person can teach themselves to do.

I'm doing really well with Clearview. I can't hover upside down reliably yet but at least it doesn't cost any money to crash the simulated helis.

Murdock1
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Just wait till you hover out your first entire battery without landing....the really cool part about that is that you won't beleive it even while you're doing it. =]

CHELLIE
07-13-2007, 04:58 AM
40 year, wow.

So, when did you get into electric helicopters, and what was your first electric helicopter?

I know nothing about the history of r/c helicopters at all.

I'd played with line control planes in the late '70s. I tried my hand at a glow powered 3 channel r/c plane in the early '80s with no success.

In the late '90s I got a two channel toy r/c plane and did pretty well so I bought a GWS E-Starter and killed it, so I bought a GWS Beaver which I've not had a successful flight with yet, but I haven't killed it, except for a damaged horizontal stabilizer and elevator when I moved a couple of years ago.

I also have a 4 channel r/c Cessna 182 park flyer which I have flown succesfully and look forward to flying again as soon as possible.

Really, I'd only just recently, within the last two years when I bought my Dragonfly II discovered there was such a thing as electric powered r/c helicopters.

Hi :) I got into electric helis about 3 years ago, started with a Ikarus Piccollo, it was ok, but the landing gear keep falling apart at the glue joint, I have a shogun v2 with a brushless motor, it moves real good, I have been flying control line and Rc since i was 12, my father got me into it, with a pt 19 and a p40 cox U Control, that hooked me :ws: I have flown the flight streak, voodo, ring master, buster, you name it, with a McCoy 35 red head and a torpedo 29, then I got a foam 2 channel 049 powered cox plane, that was my first rc plane, it did not last to long, I flew it at the local flying field, made a perfect hammer head right into the rest room roof :silly:
used the electronics from that and made a 2 meter glider, that was my rc trainer, the glider, then picked up a duraplane with a fox 40, and I was totally hooked :< since then, I have built bi planes 40 and 60 size nitro, and pattern planes 60 size, my newest toy is a 30 size electric heli from century, its called the Swift, So this bug is incurable ::o but fun , Take care, Chellie

HX3D014
07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Six hours later we went to a local restaurant for breakfast, I bummed a blade grip from my buddy and we went flying for a couple more hours. It was amazing how much better we'd become.
this is the tell tale sign of a True Addict in the makeings. it may be a blade grip today. but soon you will be Bumming Motors and or Rotor blades...

It is good you came here. Just remember. Peir pressure can cause you to "Just have another shot at it" . May I sugest you get on the sim when you are on the down side and stay there till you are able to Controle your urge to wizz around some more..

I Might sound a little Hypocritical (Being an Adict myself, Hell, I am on the RC's as a Decoy from the real ones <My instructor sugested I do this hehe>)

Good luck and Keep it under controle.

CHELLIE
07-14-2007, 05:04 AM
HI Dotyj :ws: You know What ? I think we should start a RC Anonymous group :Q Naaaaa this is to much fun ;-) Take care, Chellie

dotyj
07-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi, my name is Dotyj, and I'm an R/C helicopter addict.

I've been an R/C helicopter addict for three months and I'm on my fourth helicopter with one on the way.

I haven't flown an R/C helicopter since 5:00pm Pacific 7/13/2007.

CHELLIE
07-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Thats cute Dotyj :)

Me Next ,

Hi, My name Is Chellie, I Have been a RC airplane and Heli addict for 40 years, I need to get a fix and go flying tomorrow, I did not fly today, only because I was celebrating my birthday, I am 53 today, thank goodness I dont look my age or act it :ws: I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up, I hope they have RC Airplanes and Helis in Heaven too. I am Hopless when it comes to RC :Q

vortex05
07-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi, my name is Vortex05 I've been an RC helicopter addict for 1 year now,

I'm know a known buyer from 5 helicopter shops which have started calling me on a 1st name basis when they get my orders filled.

Although still on my first helicopters I have countless sets of blades still in their packaging. I've flown in every condition including rainy and way too windy for common sense resulting in crashes.

Although I have only flown for a year I've read many full scale RC helicopter flight manuals and pilots certification books making me sound like a moderate expert when discussing rotorcraft physics.

:::sits back down:::

dotyj
07-16-2007, 02:46 AM
This is fantastic.

I'm going to have to admit something. I really hate to do this, especially since I thought I was making progress on recovering.

I got a package in the mail yesterday at noon. Yup, and brand spanking new T-Rex 450S with enough additional goodies to make it fly, including a DX6 transmitter and associated receiver.

I worked on that helicopter from noon yesterday until 5:00am this morning. Then again from noon today until 5:00pm. That's 22 hours in the last 24. What is more amazing is that this kit came 85% complete and it's still taken me 22 hours to build it.

I'm just now at the sub trimming stage, but need to wait until the transmitter batteries re-charge. I must have left the transmitter on without realizing it since I had charged the batteries for nine hours before I even started setting up the radio equipment.

Another night or two of heli-all-nighters and I'm gonna have to start freebasing Diet Pepsi to stay alive.

So here I sit in the back row, sort of scrunching down so no one notices I've got a DX6 manual in my lap that I'm reading during this support group gathering.

Saucerguy2
07-16-2007, 02:46 AM
My name is Brian, I am an non recovering RCoholic. It has been 24 hours since my last flight. With the help of my AA "aeronautical anonymous (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkyYJvppGbnoBGopXNyoA/SIG=139qv9r3i/EXP=1184632713/**http%3a//search.yahoo.com/search%3fei=UTF-8%26fr=yfp-t-501%26p=aeronautical%2banonymous)" group, I take it one plane, I mean day, at a time, hehe :)

I'm lean towards the building element more then flying, this can get expensive in gear, covering and raw materials on planes that only get a few flights in before I yank the gear and move onto the next one. I have to physically put everything away, or messing around with it leads to tinkering, which leads to retrofitting, which leads to building. I did a short stint with heli's, yeah, they can be very expensive to repair, being a builder does have it's advantages even in that area, much of the things such as the main blades, landing gear struts, booms, etc. can be made in house to help keep the costs down though. I hated it when I'd fly and tally up the costs of the damage and think, I could have bought alot of raw materials for the same price it's going to cost me to replace all of this stuff.

I did regain my sanity eventually and sold the first heli, only to replace it with a second, but making a bone head mistake upon not knowing there are extra batteries that go into the reciever, it remained unflown. I ended up selling it because I needed the money, but will get another later on, still not looking forward to buying the replacement parts since that's going to distract from the endless circle of plane construction.

dotyj
07-16-2007, 03:08 AM
My name is Brian, I am an non recovering RCoholic. It has been 24 hours since my last flight. With the help of my AA "aeronautical anonymous (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkyYJvppGbnoBGopXNyoA/SIG=139qv9r3i/EXP=1184632713/**http%3a//search.yahoo.com/search%3fei=UTF-8%26fr=yfp-t-501%26p=aeronautical%2banonymous)" group, I take it one plane, I mean day, at a time, hehe :)

that's going to distract from the endless circle of plane construction.

I've attempted to build a couple of balsa r/c planes in the past, but without great success. I'm just horrible at any kind of woodwork.

I've got a Prairie Bird 50 (or is that Prairie Dog 50, I can never remember?) that I started building about four years ago now. I've done a pretty good job building and covering the wings and stabilizers and such, but the woodwork on the fuselage isn't very good.

The plane is complete enough to mount electronics in and fly but I worry that it won't fly very straight or it will come apart in flight. :)

CHELLIE
07-16-2007, 03:15 AM
I've attempted to build a couple of balsa r/c planes in the past, but without great success. I'm just horrible at any kind of woodwork.

I've got a Prairie Bird 50 (or is that Prairie Dog 50, I can never remember?) that I started building about four years ago now. I've done a pretty good job building and covering the wings and stabilizers and such, but the woodwork on the fuselage isn't very good.

The plane is complete enough to mount electronics in and fly but I worry that it won't fly very straight or it will come apart in flight. :)

Hi Dotyj :) make some planes from foam, much much easier, and quicker, here are some build threads i have done, take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16298

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15024&highlight=dr1

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16612&highlight=f111

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHUDosAbW6A

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lgLfXZamiHw

CHELLIE
07-16-2007, 03:19 AM
This is fantastic.

I'm going to have to admit something. I really hate to do this, especially since I thought I was making progress on recovering.

I got a package in the mail yesterday at noon. Yup, and brand spanking new T-Rex 450S with enough additional goodies to make it fly, including a DX6 transmitter and associated receiver.

I worked on that helicopter from noon yesterday until 5:00am this morning. Then again from noon today until 5:00pm. That's 22 hours in the last 24. What is more amazing is that this kit came 85% complete and it's still taken me 22 hours to build it.

I'm just now at the sub trimming stage, but need to wait until the transmitter batteries re-charge. I must have left the transmitter on without realizing it since I had charged the batteries for nine hours before I even started setting up the radio equipment.

Another night or two of heli-all-nighters and I'm gonna have to start freebasing Diet Pepsi to stay alive.

So here I sit in the back row, sort of scrunching down so no one notices I've got a DX6 manual in my lap that I'm reading during this support group gathering.

Oh Oh Dotyj It sounds like you fell off the Wagon :Q :ws: ;-) thats ok i do it all the time :silly: take care, chellie

dotyj
07-16-2007, 04:36 AM
[quote=CHELLIE;227487]Hi Dotyi :) make some planes from foam, much much easier, and quicker, here are some build threads i have done, take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16298

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15024&highlight=dr1

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16612&highlight=f111

You build some nice aircraft.

How thick is the foam board you're using?

I have some odds and ends laying around that might make good home built flyer fodder.

CHELLIE
07-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Hi Dotyj :) Thank you for the complements :) I use 5 or 6mm depron or foam board from WalMart the foam board is 20" X 30" x 5mm and its less than $3.00 per sheet or you can get it at michaels arts and crafts stores, also here are some places to get foam at very cheap,

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=255&category_id=67

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V603330&pid=A3818147
this foam has a plastic skin on it and is great for molding bends the plastic needs to be removed at the area to be glued at

http://www.rcpowers.com/6mmdepron.htm

dotyj
07-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Wow. That's so cool.

I don't have a Wal-Mart or a Michaels within 15 miles of me, but I could mail order some from one of th........................

Oh crud!!! I'm doing it again!!! I haven't even finished dialing in my T-Rex and I'm thinking of building a foam plane!

Okay, so I wheel back to the potium. Hi, you all. My name is dotyj and it's been 10 minutes since I last thought of building an r/c flying model.

Sigh, I'm weak and I'm becomins suspicious that people here are enablers, like my co worker "Steve the Viking" (Long story) who keeps asking if I'd bought another helicopter yet today.

CHELLIE
07-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Wow. That's so cool.

I don't have a Wal-Mart or a Michaels within 15 miles of me, but I could mail order some from one of th........................

Oh crud!!! I'm doing it again!!! I haven't even finished dialing in my T-Rex and I'm thinking of building a foam plane!

Okay, so I wheel back to the potium. Hi, you all. My name is dotyj and it's been 10 minutes since I last thought of building an r/c flying model.

Sigh, I'm weak and I'm becomins suspicious that people here are enablers, like my co worker "Steve the Viking" (Long story) who keeps asking if I'd bought another helicopter yet today.

Be Strong Dotyj :) dont let tempation drive you like it has driven me for 40 years :) LOL Take care, Chellie

Saucerguy2
07-16-2007, 01:22 PM
<passes dotyj an arf and a margaritta, hehe...

Nooo, we are not enablers at all, every person here shows absolute restraint along what they own, build and fly and it's just a simple, casual hobby that is absolutely under control. We can all stop any time...........

vortex05
07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
lol stop at any time that's what you think.... Once an RC'er always an RC'er

CHELLIE
07-17-2007, 06:18 AM
<passes dotyj an arf and a margaritta, hehe...

Nooo, we are not enablers at all, every person here shows absolute restraint along what they own, build and fly and it's just a simple, casual hobby that is absolutely under control. We can all stop any time...........

Not Me, I will walk a mile for Foam, lipos are my best friend, receivers are not someone that catches a ball, Visa is maxed out to hobby shops, Heeeeelp Meee :silly: ok another Margaritta will do, Take care, Chellie

vortex05
07-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Lol everyone's got their vice.