PDA

View Full Version : Brushless motor won't spin

Pconn5
07-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I just purchased this esc and brushless motor combo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220127699888&rd=1&rd=1
I started everything up and turned the motor on it started spinning fine then all of a sudden i heard a loud grinding noise. I turned it off immediately. It happened again after i tried again. Now the motor won't turn at all it just studders back and forth a little! What could be wrong did i fry something? Also im using a 7.4 volt lipo to power it.

cbusse1
07-17-2007, 08:28 PM
You bought it from Heads Up Rc. The owner, Jeff, is a great guy and he stands behind his products. e-mail him or give him a call and I'm sure he will help you out.
Have you examined the motor closely? There may be something caught in it that is preventing it from turning. These are cheap motors and maybe a screw fell out and got lodged inside somehow. Small metal objects like screws are attracted by the strong magnets inside the motor and I have had some get caught in there while I was mounting the motors to the motor mount.
Take a magnifying glass and get a close look.
Good Luck,

Pconn5
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
OK i sent him an email. I checked everything closely and nothing seems to be jammed at all. The esc wont go through the normal start up sequence anymore but everything still has power.

EDIT: He has tested an esc and motor and is going to ship me out the new one and im shipping him back mine. He has amazing customer service!

d&mrc
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I have bought this same motor 3-4 times. I have used it on all my planes, save the new mini ultra stick I just got. My latest one has the sam problem you are describing! But, that esc has been through many crashes, and several planes......

FlyingMonkey
07-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I had something like this happen. Turned out that the little "C" clip that holds the shaft, came off, and the magnets sucked it inside the bell housing. Check in there.

Grasshopper
07-18-2007, 11:04 PM
I also had a motor do that once. The thing just sat there and stuttered as you described. I reprogrammed the ESC and all was good.

Sky Sharkster
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Hello Pconn5, I had a similar problem, turns out it was the wiring. Here's the thread;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10973
Just another idea!
Ron

MTDV
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
I had a problem with mine also, but I used ESC CC-10 with a home made CDrom motor. The motor could not keep up with the ESC, so it failed at high power climb during take off. This caused the airplane plunged into the lake. I took everything apart and used alcohol to dry them up, reprogrammed the ESC, and everthing went smooth except the lipo had to be replaced (old one died in the water).

ron_van_sommeren
08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
MDTV, it's the motor that 'tell's' the controller when to switch.

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron

testpilot43
10-13-2007, 08:22 PM
yep.......just yesterday my rimfire 1000 took a dump on me found out an hour later wire was on with one strand so i solderd it and works perfect now way down deep it was