PDA

View Full Version : What does your website do?

cuc tu
07-19-2007, 04:05 AM
When I come here to the main index, my PC locks up every time for about 5 seconds. If I were to guess, I'd guess that it is sending/receiving data, but I'm not sure?

I have high speed DSL.

I'm just curious...

Mike Parsons
07-26-2007, 05:29 PM
What OS are you running? Does it do it if you go to http://www.wattflyer.com/forums? instead of www.wattflyer.com

cuc tu
08-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm running XP Pro SP2 and IE7.

I asked in another place and got this kind of response:

With my Firefox and NoScripts, it seems three items are trying to run:
Google analytics
rcuniverse.com
wattflyer.com

This may happen with other sites, I just seemed to notice it here and it might just be normal behavior when something is loading.

stinkweed007
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
in all honesty, there is something trying to run at the bottom of the screen of the main page. When I accessed via my Windows Mobile 6, it told me that certian scripts failed to run.

aviatordave
08-04-2007, 09:45 PM
This has been happening to me also...the site locks up for a few seconds after loading. I have been on 4 different pc's and get the same result. It doesnt matter if I use the '/forums' or not.

admin
08-05-2007, 03:36 AM
I am checking into this and testing.

admin
08-05-2007, 03:39 AM
I could not duplicate right now but I have a few things I suspect. I will be keeping an eye on them and also making some changes to increase performance of a few things on those includes. the rcuniverse pull is from our utopia.rcuniverse.com ad server system and also from the electric reviews at the bottom of our homepage. the google analtics is a page view/visitor counter stat tool. any of all of these could hold up a page but most likely it is one of them.

does this happen on any other page other than the homepage? if not that would help narrow this down

admin
08-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok..any better?

Mike Parsons
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Guys? Any feedback for Marc?

aviatordave
08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
sorry...fell asleep behind the wheel.

No change, same annoying delay here....

Gohmer
08-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Guys? Any feedback for Marc?

Yep, got some for you. Mine is on dial up and it is a long delay, 30 secs or more, for me before the main page works every time I come back to it.

I put up with it and the side scroll issue. Maybe some day you will find someone smart enough to fix it.

Mike Parsons
08-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Maybe some day you will find someone smart enough to fix it.

Maybe indeed. Picken's are slim around here. :roll:

stinkweed007
08-08-2007, 08:11 AM
a choke test on my box shows that the delay occurs when the page loads the "Whats Going On" statistics fields at the bottom.

choke test is a easy test, load a page which "chokes" but hit the Stop button when it chokes and see what didnt come up yet..

cuc tu
08-08-2007, 09:06 AM
The entire page seems to load, then there is a freeze. It does not matter what browser button, Start menu, even alt-tab...the whole PC is locked except the mouse movement. If the mouse was over a link, the pointer is stuck in finger mode until whatever is going on is done. And then if I had happened to click the Start menu or other actions, it is like they get buffered and then all happen at once.

I guess that long list of stuff at the bottom gets loaded right after the freeze...

aviatordave
08-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Since I am visiting the dungeon....

Any fix on this annoying delay? Everyone must have it because it happens at home, on the laptop when I am away and at work (I know...I should be working anyway...)

FlyingMonkey
08-23-2007, 03:32 AM
not a problem on my......... MAC :D

aviatordave
08-23-2007, 03:41 AM
not a problem on my......... MAC :D

You shouldnt word a sentence with two negatives; problem & Mac :)

btw...what browser do you use, I use IE 7, maybe I should try mozilla?

FlyingMonkey
08-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Osx

Gohmer
08-27-2007, 04:48 PM
As I understand it, Marc is researching this still. This is intermittent and not experienced by all users. That makes it much harder to nail down for a solution.

Nothing intermittent here about it! Same thing constantly on my PC that is on dial up, my PC that is on broadband and my laptop that uses a cell phone connection.

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Nothing intermittent here about it! Same thing constantly on my PC that is on dial up, my PC that is on broadband and my laptop that uses a cell phone connection.
I understand your frustration Gohmer. By intermittent, I mean it is being experienced by a handful of users while others dont see to experience it. That is what makes it difficult as we have to narrow it down. It is also time consuming, because we cant duplicate it, so we have to look at the code and tweek here and test there to see if the problem goes away. We are no less committed to fixing the problem than day one it was brought to us. I ask that you have patience and remember that we have full time jobs to go along with this that only prolongs our effectiveness.

Thanks,
Mike

aviatordave
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
I understand your frustration Gohmer. By intermittent, I mean it is being experienced by a handful of users while others dont see to experience it. That is what makes it difficult as we have to narrow it down. It is also time consuming, because we cant duplicate it, so we have to look at the code and tweek here and test there to see if the problem goes away. We are no less committed to fixing the problem than day one it was brought to us. I ask that you have patience and remember that we have full time jobs to go along with this that only prolongs our effectiveness.

Thanks,
Mike

I have the same issues as Gohmer. I use DSL at home and T1 at work with that annoying delay. If you need me to help with the tests let me know.

I am using IE 6.0 on 4 different computers, all have the delay.

rea59
08-27-2007, 05:16 PM
If this helps any:

I use IE7 on an XP platform with Cable Broadband at home---No Delay

At work it's IE6 on a 2000/pro platform T1 connection with delay.

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 06:07 PM
I have tested it on both XP IE 6 SP2 and XP IE 7 SP2 and dont get a delay on either.

Dave,
Ill do that. As changes are made, Ill ask you for feedback since you seem to get it regardless and are here a lot :)

Mike Parsons
08-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Gohmer,
Can you tell me if you are still experiencing this? I have had two users tell me they arent seeing the delay after I tweaked a setting. Let me know thanks.

cuc tu
08-30-2007, 10:13 PM
hey, did I start all this?

I just did a quick test on IE6 SP2 and I do not see a delay now.

It also seems that there is a long block of text at the bottom of the page that is no longer there. I forget what I think I saw, but was that the change?

And, thanks for looking into it. I'm sure it is a hassle and no fun, especially with the rolling complaints...

Mike Parsons
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes you did! ;)

Yes, the block of text at the bottom is what I removed. I took the query out of "who's on line". It seemed that it was waiting on that query to return before finishing the page. I just want to make sure that was it. Took a few days of disabling, testing, re-enabling, but I hope I got it.

-Mike

Gohmer
09-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Gohmer,
Can you tell me if you are still experiencing this? I have had two users tell me they arent seeing the delay after I tweaked a setting. Let me know thanks.

That fixed the delay for me, thanks. Now please fix the annoying side scroll issue.

aviatordave
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
That fixed the delay for me, thanks. Now please fix the annoying side scroll issue.

Isnt that just a matter of changing your screen resolution?

Mike Parsons
09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Isnt that just a matter of changing your screen resolution?
Yes.

aviatordave
09-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Ok....what changed? I got the annoying delay again!

Mike Parsons
09-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Bear with us..were trying a few things. You'll notice the query of online and visiting users at the bottom of the main page. That query is what is causing it, but we have to figure out why. Only way to do that is to fire it up and dissect it.

Gohmer
09-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Bear with us..were trying a few things. You'll notice the query of online and visiting users at the bottom of the main page. That query is what is causing it, but we have to figure out why. Only way to do that is to fire it up and dissect it.

I heard the same thing about the annoying side scroll issue, then found out that you know how to fix it but refuse to. Probably the same thing here. Sure, I can eliminate side scrolling by making changes to my monitors, only trouble is the text is too small to read when I do!

Sad situation.

Mike Parsons
09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
I heard the same thing about the annoying side scroll issue, then found out that you know how to fix it but refuse to. Probably the same thing here. Sure, I can eliminate side scrolling by making changes to my monitors, only trouble is the text is too small to read when I do!

Sad situation.
Gohmer,
I need you to test something for me. If you go to the very bottom of this page you will see a drop down box that has "Default Style" in it. Click on that and choose "optimized for smaller resolution". Let me know if that looks better to you.

Gohmer
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks Mike, much better!

Mike Parsons
09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif :ws:

oimmuk
09-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey I just tried it and I like it. Now when are we going to get to place captions on our Atachments Like I saw yall playing around with the other day... :D

FlyingMonkey
09-20-2007, 09:24 PM
That's all in all good, until someone posts a picture that is too large...

http://askbobrankin.com/redx.jpg

Mike Parsons
09-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey I just tried it and I like it. Now when are we going to get to place captions on our Atachments Like I saw yall playing around with the other day... :D
I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make the code non intrusive.

Today you can do it. However it will be a drop down box after you click on the thumbnail. I want it either to show with the display of the thumbnail or in addition to having the drop down. Here is a short how to:

Upload your photo as normal.

Click the http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/editor/attach.gifin the editor above and then choose your photo.

You'll get the following text to indicated your photo is attached.

Then click the http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/documentinfo.png button in the editor tools above. A pop up window will open allowing you to input the attachment ID (in this example it is 41671 as indicated in the attach fields). You will now see the following code:

You then want to place your caption in between the attcap brackets as such
This is where the caption goes

Click submit and your caption is now attached to the image in a drop down box.

Eye for an eye or whatever else you want to type. I am sure you can do as much text as you would like as their is no cap. If you notice in the eye, there is a bulldog. But not any bulldog as it is UGA (pronounced uh-ga). The mascot of the Georgia Bulldogs. I have tailgated way more than I could count at the University of Georgia...41671

Mike Parsons
09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
That's all in all good, until someone posts a picture that is too large...

Working on that one as well.

FlyingMonkey
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
why ruin my fun?

oimmuk
09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Mike, Now I can have more fun Develing the MWS brigands (j/K) :D

oimmuk
09-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Testing...Kawabunga...This has been a test...:D

oimmuk
09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Coolio it works...:D

FlyingMonkey
09-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Testing...Kawabunga...This has been a test...:D

Where do you come up with all of these images?

oimmuk
09-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Where do you come up with all of these images?

Google where else...lol. I just try to make sure if it has any info on the photo as to credit to keep it there don't want to take someone esles work for my own...:D

aviatordave
09-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Gohmer,
I need you to test something for me. If you go to the very bottom of this page you will see a drop down box that has "Default Style" in it. Click on that and choose "optimized for smaller resolution". Let me know if that looks better to you.

Sweet, I like it better also.....has that always been there?

Mike Parsons
09-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Sweet, I like it better also.....has that always been there?
No. I created it yesterday. I prefer it as well even though I had no scrolling issues with the other format. I might make this one default.

aviatordave
09-24-2007, 04:38 AM
double post.....I need to read before I write :)

oimmuk
09-24-2007, 05:24 AM
not to mention long load times even for those with Cable/Dsl as I am typing this it still has not finished loading...lol

aviatordave
09-24-2007, 06:13 AM
not to mention long load times even for those with Cable/Dsl as I am typing this it still has not finished loading...lol

I had that problem, but Mike fixed it. I have DSL at home and T1 at work..all is fast now for me. I wonder if its a personal pc thing ?? Alot of different variations going on now....

oimmuk
09-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Dont know about that but it is that durn picture that FM posted with the Pinguins on it some desktop or something for linux.

FlyingMonkey
09-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Dont know about that but it is that durn picture that FM posted with the Pinguins on it some desktop or something for linux.

:D

aviatordave
10-02-2007, 06:44 PM
The delay is back again, seems worse now (for me at least) & I am on broadband

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 06:45 PM
It's only for you Dave.

I bought this virus that stalls your computer, and I sent it to you in my last PM.

aviatordave
10-02-2007, 06:57 PM
It's only for you Dave.

I bought this virus that stalls your computer, and I sent it to you in my last PM.

hmmm, I like the looks of this then....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/aviatordave1967/banmon.jpg

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Is that better?

aviatordave
10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Looks good to me! lets see if anyone else notices.....

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
They won't believe it, I post too often... :D

We should save it for the next time I do a 3 day weekend at hodge's.

There's one coming up in three weeks.

oimmuk
10-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Well, I tried something and it would not work,,,Dave You got me there on how ya did that but I will figure it out...lol

Mike Parsons
10-02-2007, 09:54 PM
The delay is back again, seems worse now (for me at least) & I am on broadband

Dave,
When did it start?

oimmuk
10-02-2007, 10:11 PM
vbmenu_register("postmenu_282385", true); There I think I got you covered now...lol

aviatordave
Undercover Monkey
Minion

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/misc/im_yahoo.gif (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=282481#) http://mystatus.skype.com/smallicon/aviatordave1 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=282481#)

iTrader: (0 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/itrader.php?u=5621))

oimmuk
10-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, I still didnt get it right, but oh well... Mike I too have been experiencing delays as well, wonder if we are sucking too much bandwith with the attachments?

Mike Parsons
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
We have a wide river of bandwidth, so that should be a problem. Let me dive in though.

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
While I have you here Mike...

1) How was dinner?

2) Why doesn't it tell me how much time I have left when I post too frequently?

3) Have you read my report from Hodge's Electric Fly in this past weekend?

4) And what about my PM I sent you? Need my address? :D

aviatordave
10-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Dave,
When did it start?

I've noticed it over the past couple days....Maybe as early as Fri or Sat...

aviatordave
10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
While I have you here Mike...

1) How was dinner?

2) Why doesn't it tell me how much time I have left when I post too frequently?

3) Have you read my report from Hodge's Electric Fly in this past weekend?

4) And what about my PM I sent you? Need my address? :D

Geez....you sound like a desperate girlfriend

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
When you put it that way....

Mike, why don't you ever call?

Grasshopper
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
When you put it that way....

Mike, why don't you ever call?

You have to ask?

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Oh...

aviatordave
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Mike,

Here is a video of Wattflyer loading up, it takes about 6 seconds. I am on a broadband connection (T1) and other sites that I go to load up instantly.

Wattflyer Movie (800 kb) (http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/wf.wmv)

Mike Parsons
10-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Mike,

Here is a video of Wattflyer loading up, it takes about 6 seconds. I am on a broadband connection (T1) and other sites that I go to load up instantly.

Wattflyer Movie (800 kb) (http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/wf.wmv)

Wow Dave.. that is annoying. Can you load up a new page and tell me what it says at the very bottom of the page. I am interested in the page loaded in X seconds.

Fred,
It's not you...it's me. Now off to the OT forum with you!:D

aviatordave
10-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Page generated in 0.26919 seconds with 52 queries

wow .2 seconds, ?????

It still takes 4-6 sec to fully load

Grasshopper
10-03-2007, 02:22 AM
I think you jinxed me Dave. Now I have the delay. I've never had it before.

aviatordave
10-03-2007, 02:24 AM
It's only for you Dave.

Tom,

Has Wilbur pm'd you? This delay started when he joined WattFlyer.

Monkeys are bad business

Grasshopper
10-03-2007, 02:54 AM
Tom,

Has Wilbur pm'd you? This delay started when he joined WattFlyer.

Monkeys are bad business

He sent me a Primate Message a while back. Maybe it's because I responded to quit asking me to be his friend.

FlyingMonkey
10-03-2007, 03:17 AM
One of the questions was kinda on topic.

The notification about how long you have left before you can post again, has dissapeared.

aviatordave
10-03-2007, 04:09 AM
One of the questions was kinda on topic.

The notification about how long you have left before you can post again, has dissapeared.

ahem.....Monkeys in glass cages should not fling poo.

FlyingMonkey
10-03-2007, 04:11 AM
Now the green "New Posts" has gone missing...

oimmuk
10-03-2007, 04:19 AM
Dave that is about what mine is doing too ( like in the Movie you posted ), I think my problem is too much stuff on too little hard disk slowing it down along with all the other websites.

aviatordave
10-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Dave that is about what mine is doing too ( like in the Movie you posted ), I think my problem is too much stuff on too little hard disk slowing it down along with all the other websites.

That could contribute I suppose. When I did that little movie, I had nothing else running in the background besides Lotus Notes which aint much of a memory hog. That was my work pc which runs the same as the other 2 work pc's I use on a T1 connection as well as the 3 home pc's that run off of DSL.

I wonder if it is location or server set up as most others dont encounter this ??

oimmuk
10-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Well here I got Time Warner Cable, which aint no rose believe me. But we got like 8 comps running almost all time.

Mike Parsons
10-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Now the green "New Posts" has gone missing...
It is back up.

That could contribute I suppose. When I did that little movie, I had nothing else running in the background besides Lotus Notes which aint much of a memory hog. That was my work pc which runs the same as the other 2 work pc's I use on a T1 connection as well as the 3 home pc's that run off of DSL.

I wonder if it is location or server set up as most others dont encounter this ??

What I find strange is I am getting the delay on my laptop, however my desktop it is an instant page load. Same query on each and page loading in seconds is identical. However, the laptop is noticeably slower to display the page. Everything is the same via wireless, same router, DSL etc. The only difference is the computer. I'll have to see what that is about.

Mike Parsons
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I have narrowed it down to something to do with IE. The reason I was seeing an instant load on my desktop and a delay on my laptop is the desktop is running firefox and my laptop is on IE. I duplicated it using IE and then Firefox on my desktop.

It seems IE is handling something differently (at least for me). However, this morning, IE is loading the page instantly as is firefox on my laptop.

Grasshopper
10-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Mike,

Just to confirm, I am running IE and it is loading instantly on mine this morning too. I never thought to try Firefox. I switched off of it a while back. For some reason, FF wouldn't let me cut and paste in to posts but IE will.

Gnascher
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Do you have any heavy JavaScript code running?

If so, that will be dependent upon the processor speed and other environment issues on the client machine. If you've got a script that runs after the page is partially loaded, that can cause a delay.

I sometimes get a long delay after the page header loads... and perhaps even after one (but never two) of the ads has loaded. I've always assumed it had to do with waiting for the ad server to send the ads down the pipe.

I notice that you allow flash ads ... perhaps some of your ads have an unnecessarily heavy .swf?

NOTE: By "header" I'm referring to the logo banner, and the top-nav area.

Mike Parsons
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I thought about that too. But it didnt make a difference if I turned ads on or turned them off.

The only java we have running is a very light script. The header is nothing more than an html loading images. And there isnt anything special which is what is perplexing.

What is even more perplexing is that this morning, IE is loading instantaneous. Nothing has been changed since yesterday. Spooky :<:
Do you have any heavy JavaScript code running?

If so, that will be dependent upon the processor speed and other environment issues on the client machine. If you've got a script that runs after the page is partially loaded, that can cause a delay.

I sometimes get a long delay after the page header loads... and perhaps even after one (but never two) of the ads has loaded. I've always assumed it had to do with waiting for the ad server to send the ads down the pipe.

I notice that you allow flash ads ... perhaps some of your ads have an unnecessarily heavy .swf?

NOTE: By "header" I'm referring to the logo banner, and the top-nav area.

Mike Parsons
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Mike,

Just to confirm, I am running IE and it is loading instantly on mine this morning too. I never thought to try Firefox. I switched off of it a while back. For some reason, FF wouldn't let me cut and paste in to posts but IE will.
Yeah, that is the only thing I dont like about FF. I have to ctrl>C to copy and ctrl>V to paste.

aviatordave
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
It must be me.....it seems to be running slower than yesterday. After the header is up...a couple seconds go by and I get the 'DONE' at the bottom of the page. Then a few more seconds roll by and the whole page appears.

IE is what I am using, like Grasshopper I quit using FF awhile back for the same reasons

Mike Parsons
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Dave,
Do you have the option of trying FF to see if it improves?

aviatordave
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Yep...I'll try it at home tonight and let ya know -

thanks

aviatordave
10-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Dave,
Do you have the option of trying FF to see if it improves?

I'm on FF now and it works good!

Grasshopper
10-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Wow! FF is almost instantaneous.

FlyingMonkey
10-04-2007, 05:33 AM
No problems here with Safari

(That's the Mac browser program, for those who don't know...)

aviatordave
10-04-2007, 05:46 AM
No problems here with Safari

(That's the Mac browser program, for those who don't know...)

Monkey uses Safari.....I see the connection

Whats a Mac? A hamburger?

oimmuk
10-04-2007, 07:12 AM
I wonder how Mozilla would work, I am still on IE6.

Gnascher
10-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I wonder how Mozilla would work, I am still on IE6.

You could install it and see, it's free. I bet it works pretty much like Firefox.

Mike Parsons
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm on FF now and it works good!

Wow! FF is almost instantaneous.

Thats good to hear. I know it is something with IE, but not sure what yet. And don't know why some are experiencing it and others aren't.

I'll be doing a lot of testing in the next 24-48 hours, so if you guys see some weird stuff or things out of place..just ignore it.

FlyingMonkey
10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
What happens at Wattflyer.com, stays at Wattflyer.com...

Grasshopper
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Thats good to hear. I know it is something with IE, but not sure what yet. And don't know why some are experiencing it and others aren't.

I'll be doing a lot of testing in the next 24-48 hours, so if you guys see some weird stuff or things out of place..just ignore it.

We already do ignore the Monkey Mike.

aviatordave
10-04-2007, 03:47 PM
We already do ignore the Monkey Mike.

Well...we try to at least

FlyingMonkey
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Monkey Mike?

Who is this Monkey Mike.

aviatordave
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Monkey Mike?

Who is this Monkey Mike.

Thats as offensive as Penguin Wilbur...

Grasshopper
10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Mike, I apologize for having your name linked to Monkey.

FlyingMonkey
10-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Thats as offensive as Penguin Wilbur...

Thank you. But you failed to scold Mike when he changed my avatar to the one with the penguin...

in fact, as I recall, you guys kind of encouraged him........

aviatordave
10-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Mike,

Since I am here in the dungeon.....same old delay exists. Have you experimented with any solutions? I have not seen a change with IE

thanks -

Mike Parsons
10-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Dave,
It has something to do with the version of IE. That much I have figured out. I just havent narrowed it down to the trigger yet. I tried it with 6 different computers at work (including my own) and only 2 of the 6 had the delay (mine included).

I have some time tommorrow so I plan on mowing through it line item by line item.

FlyingMonkey
10-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Wow Mike...

You know how to have a good time.

I doubt people appreciate how much you do for the site.

Heck, I know now, just from reading this thread, that you're more than just a pretty face around here...

I guess I am trying to say thanks, kinda, um, yeah.

aviatordave
10-10-2007, 06:12 AM
cool - thanks !

Mike Parsons
10-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Wow Mike...

You know how to have a good time.

I doubt people appreciate how much you do for the site.

Heck, I know now, just from reading this thread, that you're more than just a pretty face around here...

I guess I am trying to say thanks, kinda, um, yeah.

Yep..just call me Yortuk Festrunk cause I am a wild and crazy guy.http://www.stevemartin.com/imgs/level2/world_of_steve/television/festrunk/festrunk_7.gif

Gohmer
12-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Gohmer,

What happened? Default style box is gone, takes forever to navagate! All the other forums that I frequent work fine.

Mike Parsons
12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Gohmer,
once we got the default style optimized to eliminate the scroll bars for those using 800x600 we eliminated the optimized style. It has been gone for the better part of two months.

Gohmer
12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Gohmer,
once we got the default style optimized to eliminate the scroll bars for those using 800x600 we eliminated the optimized style. It has been gone for the better part of two months.

OK, I believe you. I thought my settings might have gotten changed. What I would like is some help from you to make visiting here something other than frustrating. I imagine there must be others that are having the same frustration that I experience here. Maybe they just give up and use other RC sites.

aviatordave
12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I had to shut off ads to make my laptop run smoother here @ wattflyer. For some reason they were really dragging me down and it took forever to navigate the site, very frustrating. I blame it on the laptop I have because it performs well with the desktops. Did you try shutting down the ads Gohmer?

Gohmer
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I had to shut off ads to make my laptop run smoother here @ wattflyer. For some reason they were really dragging me down and it took forever to navigate the site, very frustrating. I blame it on the laptop I have because it performs well with the desktops. Did you try shutting down the ads Gohmer?

Thanks Dave. At least someone is trying to help. I have always had the ads turned off. I'm on Quest broadband here. It was better for awhile then worse than ever lately. RCU and RC group work fine. There must be some way to fix this site.

No one ever reads this section. Maybe a poll in general to see if others are having the same problem?

Mike Parsons
12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks Dave. At least someone is trying to help. I have always had the ads turned off. I'm on Quest broadband here. It was better for awhile then worse than ever lately. RCU and RC group work fine. There must be some way to fix this site.

No one ever reads this section. Maybe a poll in general to see if others are having the same problem?
Gohmer,
Do you have another computer you can use to check it out? We did a software upgrade Saturday, but it sounds like your problems stem before that.
I imagine if others were having issues, they would post here. I browse from four different computers at least once daily (two desktops, two laptops) and three with different Operating systems. I do this just to make sure that everything seems to be operating smoothly.

aviatordave
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Gohmer,

What are you using? Internet Explorer? or Netscape?

Try this:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

its a little more user friendly than Internet explorer and may speed up your navigation, it worked well for my slow laptop, sped it up a bit.

Gohmer
12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Gohmer,
Do you have another computer you can use to check it out? We did a software upgrade Saturday, but it sounds like your problems stem before that.
I imagine if others were having issues, they would post here. I browse from four different computers at least once daily (two desktops, two laptops) and three with different Operating systems. I do this just to make sure that everything seems to be operating smoothly.

I just tried it with my laptop. Slightly faster but still way slower than any other site. I guess you just don't believe me! Everything works fine on your computer so it has to be the same for everyone else? If other sites load quickly and navagate fine for me except yours then their has to be something wrong with my equipment?:confused:

Mike Parsons
12-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Gohmer,
There is no need to get defensive. I have no reason not to believe you. I dont doubt that something specific to Wattflyer is slowing you down, but it has to be something between our site and your hadware. I come to this conclusion because it seems to be isolated to your connection and you said it was fine for a while and then it got worst, when nothing has changed on the site that I am aware of. That is the reason I asked if you could try a different computer.

Just because I am not responding rapidly, does not mean that I do not care that you are experiencing issues nor that I am not working on it.

Dave made a good suggestion as well that if you are using Internet Exporer, to try Firefox and see what that does.

Thanks Dave!

aviatordave
01-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Is there something going on with the display of the J-slides? Maybe its me, but it takes forever for it to load and display when looking at other peoples attachments.

T1
IE (at work , no FF here)

thanks -

Mike Parsons
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Dave,
I just tested FF and IE and both seem to work fine on my end. Ill have the other team members check to see if they notice anything.

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Mike,

Today from another computer I get an alert that says WF is MALWARE, wont let me connect. I noticed the changes today, is there something happening?

BTW - what is malware?

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Massachusetts and Delaware merged.

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 03:18 AM
Massachusetts and Delaware merged.

must be what crabzilla sees in you......

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 03:22 AM
deductive reasoning, you should try some sometime

Mike Parsons
03-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Mike,

Today from another computer I get an alert that says WF is MALWARE, wont let me connect. I noticed the changes today, is there something happening?

BTW - what is malware?

Dave,
Malware is defined as: software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informed_consent).

There isn't any malware on our servers. We do active scans to ensure all is clean.

Did you see that when trying to hit the WF homepage, or once in the site?

I made three changes today:
- Increased the size of the Quick Reply box

- Tweaked the table width for better dynamic browsing.

- Testing side columns on the forum homepage. I have some plans for displaying user articles etc. I will be taking this down shortly.

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 03:26 AM
I didnt even make it to the WF site. As I connected to it on IE, it hesitated for a few seconds and came up with the Malware warning, I couldnt connect at all.

I wont be back to try it out until tomorrow, I'll see if it happens again. I was locked out all day from a PC that worked fine since the beginning of WF -

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 03:28 AM
While we're at it, what is goldbrick media?

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 03:30 AM
I noticed that sometimes the AIM icon doesn't work. When this happens, it fouls up the profile cube. Makes it wider than usual.

Mike Parsons
03-14-2008, 03:43 AM
While we're at it, what is goldbrick media?
Goldbrick =
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oxOKpieJ6jc

I didnt even make it to the WF site. As I connected to it on IE, it hesitated for a few seconds and came up with the Malware warning, I couldnt connect at all.

I wont be back to try it out until tomorrow, I'll see if it happens again. I was locked out all day from a PC that worked fine since the beginning of WF -

If it didnt make it to the site, it doesnt sound like anything on this site. Usually for malware to load it will load the webpage as it loads a script. Not always, but usually.

Your PC locked you out? Like shut down on you or the network locked you out?

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 04:14 AM
The network locked me out. Must be on my end, huh?

Weird......RCG & RCU work fine.

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 04:23 AM
Make sure your volume is down for the Goldbrick, every window in the house will break when he gets that turbine going!

Mike Parsons
03-14-2008, 04:45 AM
The network locked me out. Must be on my end, huh?

Weird......RCG & RCU work fine.

Dave,
Not sure if you can reach out and touch your IT guys, but they should tell you what was suspect and caused it. If they can, let me know.

Malware can be hidden in just about anything (photos or avatars for example). Could have been a banner ad, or photo in the gallery. That is why I am curious to see if your IT guys can put a trace on it.

If I recall, this happend at RCG some time back. Malware was hidden in a guys avatar. Dont think it was intentional, but it does happen.

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 05:26 AM
So goldbrick is a video program?

Mike Parsons
03-14-2008, 06:23 PM
So goldbrick is a video program?

More of a interface portal. If it see's a particular format in a link (ie http://www.youtube.com/watch?-yckghsisis), it will see that it is a youtube video and format it in the post as such. Then places it as a thumbnail with description in the post and when a user clicks on it, it will present a highslide window of the movie.

Bells and whistles really.

FlyingMonkey
03-15-2008, 12:44 AM
ahhhh, gotcha

aviatordave
03-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Dave,
Not sure if you can reach out and touch your IT guys, but they should tell you what was suspect and caused it. If they can, let me know.

Malware can be hidden in just about anything (photos or avatars for example). Could have been a banner ad, or photo in the gallery. That is why I am curious to see if your IT guys can put a trace on it.

If I recall, this happend at RCG some time back. Malware was hidden in a guys avatar. Dont think it was intentional, but it does happen.

Well....our IT guys are in India. Ya, you know how that goes, I cant understand them and they cant understand me. We have a couple local fixit guys at our plant but they cant do anything without India's help. It prob wont get fixed. It was weird as it happened in the middle of the day as I was cruising the forum.

I'll let it sit for a week or so and see if it goes away.

Thanks -