PDA

View Full Version : MaxAmps Polys?

GeraldRosebery
11-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Can anyone comment on the MaxAmps LiPO's and how they compare to Thunderpower. They are generally cheaper, but a LOT heavier. For example for a 5S 6000 mah (approx) Thunderpower weighs 610 grams vs 895 for MaxAmps. How do they stand up? How well do they stay balanced?

ragbag
11-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Here is a thread you might want to look at. Quite a discussion on them.
By George

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789

turnwaldw
11-03-2005, 01:42 AM
I have one of there 4200 11.1 batterys it took them almost five weeks to get them to me with no asnwers to my emails and put me on hold for ever till I hung up.
As far as the battery goes I can,t complain it is alot heavier than my thunder power battery of the same type. It has been a good battery I cant complain about that.

GeraldRosebery
11-03-2005, 02:49 AM
Here is a thread you might want to look at. Quite a discussion on them.
By George

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789

That thread was all about their lousy customer service. Everyone seems to know about that. I was more interested in technical issues.

ragbag
11-03-2005, 03:09 AM
To me bad service is part of the technical issues. If I have a problem with their product and can't get satisfaction then it is technical.

I just directed you to the thread.
By George

GeraldRosebery
11-03-2005, 01:56 PM
To me bad service is part of the technical issues. If I have a problem with their product and can't get satisfaction then it is technical.

I just directed you to the thread.
By George

Yes, I suppose you are right George. I wondered how they perform and stand up over time.

Unbalanced prop
11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I can't comment on their present cells, but I purchased a couple 3S2P 4500 packs last winter that I flew all summer. They were lighter then the current cells. I don't push them hard (around 6C with 12C bursts). They still hold over 80% of their capacity and I look forward to using them next summer also.
BTW: I don't know what changed, but I received good service from them.:confused:

Doug

GeraldRosebery
11-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I can't comment on their present cells, but I purchased a couple 3S2P 4500 packs last winter that I flew all summer. They were lighter then the current cells. I don't push them hard (around 6C with 12C bursts). They still hold over 80% of their capacity and I look forward to using them next summer also.
BTW: I don't know what changed, but I received good service from them.:confused:

Doug

80% capacity after 1 summer of use (100, 200 cycles?) does not seem very good to me. At low draw, it seems to me that you should get 700-1000 cycles, perhaps less pushing them hard. Did they ever give close to 100%?

Unbalanced prop
11-03-2005, 07:33 PM
They never had 100%, more like 95%. In my experience, most lithium packs lose capacity 10% to 20% per year without any cycles at all. They have a limited shelf life compared to nicads. I have yet to see a lipoly get close to 700 let alone 1000 cycles. Most I ever heard of was 374, but they were getting low on capacity. If you know of a brand that will get 1000 cycles, please let me know. I have used Polyquest, Apogee. Maxamps, Etecs, Kokams, Tanics and TP. None of them would give 700 - 1000 cycles. Most are pretty much done in the 200 range. The Etecs, TPs, Maxamps and Tanics are holding up pretty well for me, but none will get close to 700 cycles.

Doug

ragbag
11-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Funny, the oldest batteries I own are 2s700 Etecs, cycles unknown.

Started messing with GWS about three years ago and started with the Etecs, moved "up" to Kokams. I've never counted cycles but I know they were used at least three times a week in the begining, I never charge at the field, when the battery is down I use the next one and charge at home.

Still flying them and the Kokams are dying. I have some home built 700 and 1500 3s kokams and they were the first to start showing their age. The factory ones have now started the same degraded service.

My polyquest seem to be doing a good job for me. But they are kinda' new.

All of the original Kokams and Etecs were purchased before such a thing as "c" was mention.

By George

GeraldRosebery
11-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Weare getting off topic here. I was trying to get information regarding the reliability of MXAmps products

ragbag
11-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Sorry about that:)

I have never had any so all I could contribute was the little blurb about the other thread.
By George

TheLost
11-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I've ordered a few MaxAmps packs and have always been happy with the service and build quality of the packs! Austin has always stood behind his products. Check out his feed back on RCG... you won't see one complaint.

If you have a problem.... call him.. Not many vendors post their phone number!

He's currently selling (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428142) 15C 2100mah cells @ $13.50 + $5 build fee ($3.85 shipping). That's only $45.50 for a 3s 2100mah pack with taps and deans!

Mine showed up in ~5 days... not bad for a custom pack. For a couple extra bucks he also built an adapter so i can use my TP-205 balancer with the pack.

~Brian

GeraldRosebery
11-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I've ordered a few MaxAmps packs and have always been happy with the service and build quality of the packs! Austin has always stood behind his products. Check out his feed back on RCG... you won't see one complaint.

If you have a problem.... call him.. Not many vendors post their phone number!

He's currently selling (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428142) 15C 2100mah cells @ $13.50 + $5 build fee ($3.85 shipping). That's only $45.50 for a 3s 2100mah pack with taps and deans!

Mine showed up in ~5 days... not bad for a custom pack. For a couple extra bucks he also built an adapter so i can use my TP-205 balancer with the pack.

~Brian

Yes, the prices are good but weights are very high. For my part it really doesn't matter if Austin were nominated for the Nobel prize for peace. Are the packs any good and how well do they stand up over time.