PDA

View Full Version : Crash - With a lesson

Yaldy
07-20-2007, 01:04 AM
So there I was...

I had been flying my E-flight Mini Ultrastick PNP for a while. I had learned on it and graduated to aerobatics.

There were only two of us at the field and there was plenty of room for everyone. I was banking it around for a landing and was at low altitude with low speed. My friend's plane got close and it happened so fast...

I remember I jerked the stick one way and jerked it back after I over compensated. I wasn't sure which way was up and before I could comprehend anything it slammed into the ground and smashed to pieces.

Dumb thumbs and complete pilot error on my part.

The lesson learned after discussing with my friend was although planes can hit each other in mid-air they seldom do. Keep your eyes on your own plane and gradually fly it out of the way. No need for immediate evasive action. If they hit in mid-air it is better than being spooked and crashing into the ground.

Sorry no pics and hope this small piece of advice can help others.

Don't panic....

Nathan King
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Every time I fly and especially when training on busy training nights, I give the airspace a good glance. Just for a split second. Most people focus on just the airplane, not the airplane and the airspace in their peripheral vision. Broadening your focus can go a long way to avoiding being startled.

It's similar to when you learn to drive. At first you focus on the car and road directly ahead of you. After a while you look further out and get a broader perspective and can see road construction/problems before you get there.

r_kopka
07-23-2007, 08:59 AM
The lesson learned after discussing with my friend was although planes can hit each other in mid-air they seldom do. Keep your eyes on your own plane and gradually fly it out of the way. No need for immediate evasive action. If they hit in mid-air it is better than being spooked and crashing into the ground.
Not necessarily. The last meeting I had 2 Midairs !

First one: we had two Pylon models in the air and although flying the same circles the courses came to a crossing. Fuselage can easily be repaired, wing is really bad :-(

Second one: had a boy at the buddy box who was flying OK when a 1m 3D plane hit my poor Wingo with some speed. But I will assemble the puzzle again !

In both cases I don't think the ground would be worse.

RK

Twizter68
07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Last meeting of the Elephant Feild Flyers, I had another guy thunk into my converted Tower .40.....kept on flying, did not appear to have any damage....well, it took a bit of time to fix the horizontal stab! 3 busted ribs, busted rear spar, and had to cut it out of the plane to finish fixing it!

Later on, greased a super smooth landing on my Funtana X, only to have the gear collapse 3 ft later.......still not done fixing that one.....