PDA

View Full Version : Lanier 21st Century Citabria (Glow-to-Electric)

guapoman2000
11-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Hello fellow R/C Hobbiest,

I present you with a rather light ARF from Lanier, the 21st Century Citabria "or" Airbatic written in reverese:D

Very nice and larger wing span model known as the Citabria .40 2-stroke Glow and will be converting it to Electric.

This is a new ARF, fresh from "China" and very light for the size of 64 inch wing span (Semi-Symmetrical airfoil).

Specifications:
64 inch wing span
44.5 inch Fuse length
625 sq.-in. wing area
"Long" barn door ailerons with light ply covers for servos.
Excellent detail for this size model.

guapoman2000
11-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Okay, here's the dry weight of all the parts!
1. FUSE 15 3/8 oz.
2. Cowling 2 1/4 oz.
3. Vertical Stab/Rudder 1 oz.
4. Horizontal Stab/Elevator 2 1/8 oz.
5. Right Wing 8 oz.
6. Left Wing 8 5/8 oz.
7. Aileron Covers/Main Gear cover
and wing joiner 1 1/4 oz.
8. Aluminum Main Landing gear 3 1/8 oz.
9. Struts + push rods 3 1/4 oz.
10. Wind Shielf + windows 4 1/8 oz.
11. Hardware, Tires, Tail wheel etc.. 7 1/4 oz.
--------------------------------------------------
Total Dry Weight 56 3/8 oz.
"or" 3.523 lbs.

guapoman2000
11-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Here's the rest of the dry weight process pictures....

ragbag
11-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Keep us posted on the progress of your conversion. Looks good coming out of the box.
Do you have any thoughts on the power setup that you are going to use?

Lots of pictures, especialy on the modifrications.
By George

guapoman2000
11-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Windows seem to be on the heavy and thick.....and the ALU. Main landing gear is sort of heavy but, will leave as is...

Just super results after fit checking all components! http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I placed my World Models RAMBLER EP for comparision (Rambler EP has 39.5 inch wing span).

guapoman2000
11-02-2005, 11:08 PM
The FUSE on this Citabria is very well constructed and super light unlike the World Models P-51D Mustang that I had selected earlier. Really, the difference in dry weight between the two models were just under 4 oz., however, the Citabria has 40 sq.-in. "more" wing area more that the Mustang.

This model will keep me happy for now since I don't have to buy a new Transmitter for retracts as it would have been should I stayed with the Mustang and that extra $$$ I can concentrate in the Citabria and other models that I have waiting in the wings.

am going with a more robust tail wheel assembly from Klett Plastic Company, Fort Worth, Texas. (Made in the USA!!! http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif )

'and'

I have selected the Hitec HS-81 metal gear servos for the ailerons (quanity 2).

guapoman2000
11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
HIMAX HA3630-1533 (Translates to 36mm diameter can brushless, 33mm long, delivering 1,500 RPM/VOLT, with a 3.3:1 Planetary gearbox).

Here's the proposed setup using P-Calc....

Swinging the APC "E" 14 X 10 Prop. and 14 Cells, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH's, almost 7.4 lbs. of static thrust and a little over 4 lbs. of in-flight thrust.

Moderate of duration at only 36 AMPs @ WOT.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If those out there find this thread sort of familiar it is because I am porting it over to Watt Flyer from RCG's as I am in the process to continue this fine model and build. (EDIT: I never flew the HA3630-1533 as I suspected it would be just too little Propeller RPMs for the amount of Round Cells I was going to use so, I exchanged it at the hobby store for the "new" HA3618-3043 motor/gearbox combo!)

Therefore, the HA3618-3043 power system that is shown in the pictures have been flown in my other Glow-to-Electric model known as the World Models Sky Raider Mach-II (54 inch wing span low wing sport trainer with full symmetrical wing airfoil). The Power system has been great and has pulled this heavier trainer (4.68 lbs. ) along very well. The power system in actually was setup as follows:

Master Air Screw "K Series" 12 X 8 propeller
Castle Creations PHX-45 ESC
9-Cells, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH's <---22 oz. just the battery pack!:D

The measured wide open throttle AMP draw was observed at 35 AMPs using the ASTRO FLIGHT 101 Watt meter.

Duration of flight (actual) was an average of 12 Minutes with power to spare and taxi the model back to the pitts. This heavy Sport Model Trainer performed the best hammer heads, inverted flight with a half outside loop without increasing the throttle, loops and very good roll rate considering it's skinny ailerons.:) However, the propeller speed was really not enough and the gearbox output shaft exhibited a vibration/whobble!!! This power system was shipped out to MAXX Products for warranty repairs and during it's stay at MAXX Products I called and ask for the HA3618-3033 instead.

HA3618-3033:
After exactly 6 days later, it arrived and I quickly re-installed it on the MACH-II and measured the Wide Open Throttle with the same MAC 12 X 8 Propeller and the AMP draw was at a whopper at 41 AMPs~!:eek: it flew for 3 flights and I had to perform some maintainence on the MAXX Products Planetary Gearbox that came with this Motor assembly. The gearbox started to make a loud noise after the third flight and MAXX Products recommended to disassemble the gearbox and remove all thick grease inside and apply a light machine oil so, I did and cleaned off all grease and used Marvel Mystery Oil. Once I did this the model has flown with very good results and super quiet for another 22 flights.

Two weeks ago, however, the output shaft / prop adapter / propeller exhibted a lateral whobble. I called MAXX Products again and the verdit is still out as I have to unscrew the forward thrust plate and see why the whobble. MAXX Products does sell the forward thrust plate along with the output shaft assembly for a very small fee:)

I am attaching some pictures of my adventures with the HIMAX 3618-3033 and it's planetary gearbox. Notice the first couple of pictures show the thick grease that produced viscus friction during high RPMs and the later pictures show a clean gearbox!

However, because of all of these gearbox problems, I am considering to go with the AXI 2826/10 Brushless Outrunner motor with the metal U bracket mount.

More to come.....

ENUT
11-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Skip this gear box mess:eek: Go do yourself a favor and by the AXI outrunner.If your cowl is strong you can mount the motor to the back of it.You may need to glue in a piece of 1/16 aircraft plywood(for extra strength).I just assembled a arf (bonnie 20) Hobbylobby. This plane uses this method of mounting the motor.Nice thing also is just remove cowl screws and motor/cowl are in the open for service.Good luck,ENUT;)

guapoman2000
11-03-2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion....however, I already have the AXI 2826/10 "and" the U-Bracket Mount.

Have new pictures but, pretty tired and will post them Thursday late evening....need to sleep work and be a dad!:D

Thanks for your interest.

Nite nite,
Carlos;)

guapoman2000
11-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Skip this gear box mess:eek: Go do yourself a favor and by the AXI outrunner.If your cowl is strong you can mount the motor to the back of it.You may need to glue in a piece of 1/16 aircraft plywood(for extra strength).I just assembled a arf (bonnie 20) Hobbylobby. This plane uses this method of mounting the motor.Nice thing also is just remove cowl screws and motor/cowl are in the open for service.Good luck,ENUT;)

Certainly, I am not saying anything bad about Himax products because the power system has delivered spectacular performance. I don't know if the propeller adapter has slid off the output shaft of the gearbox and during manuevers it has created a large amount of stress inside the thrust plate bearing so, I am going to disassemble the gearbox once again and attempt to find out what might have gone wrong. Jarvis from MAXX PRODUCTS has told me that these gearboxes are very robust and they have tested them extensively without any lubricant to the point that you can see the glow at night!

One particular observation is that MAXX PRODUCTS are just a toll Free Telephone call away and Jarvis "or" the other Technical representatives are more than happy to help out in anyway. Their customer service is very good and they try to really listen carefully to what is going on with your problem.

Tweet
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Keep us posted on the progress of your conversion.

Lots of pictures, especialy on the modifrications.
By George

No worries there. I recognize Guapoman2000's name from the other forum and he always provides plenty of details and anwers questions.

Mustang11
11-08-2005, 02:57 PM
"I am attaching some pictures of my adventures with the HIMAX 3618-3033 and it's planetary gearbox. Notice the first couple of pictures show the thick grease that produced viscus friction during high RPMs and the later pictures show a clean gearbox!"

Carlos,
I had exactly the same problem with the Hi-Maxx 4.3 gearbox on a 2825 series motor and used a synthetic hi-temp grease that's actually made for automotive uses and it has worked great. I typically get 10 hours of flight time before the GB requires a cleaning/re-greasing, and it doesn't take more than a couple of toothpicks worth in the GB to do the trick. AIRC, you work for NASA and I'd bet some of your co-workers could suggest some really good grease that'll do the trick ;). LRV

pza366
04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
wHERe does the wing doubler go? on the top of the wing would be so ugly....any suggestions? I dont want that ugly thing on top of my wing.