PDA

View Full Version : Notice something with himax and park motors

LuckyArmpit
11-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I noticed something on park and himax motors. These are inrunner types where you'd throw on a gearbox. If you just hand turn the prop while its on the motor/gb, very easy to turn. Basically, almost no resistance. But, stick on a 3S lipoly pack and run the motor for 20 seconds or so. Then try to hand turn the prop, you feel all kinds of resistance. Does just a bit of heat expand something inside to cause this? Noticed this flying my mini funtana a few days ago. Was worried that something had given inside the motor. But, threw in another pack and the plane flew just fine.

Dave...

hoppy
11-05-2005, 04:11 PM
That doesn't sound good. Have you tried lubricating the bearings?

Dr Kiwi
11-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Simply the fact that you have a battery connected makes it harder to turn (motor armed but obviously at zero throttle). Try it with and without the pack connected and you'll feel the difference.

fdix
11-05-2005, 07:41 PM
It's proably the ESC's brake...

EpoweredRc
11-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I noticed something on park and himax motors. These are inrunner types where you'd throw on a gearbox. If you just hand turn the prop while its on the motor/gb, very easy to turn. Basically, almost no resistance. But, stick on a 3S lipoly pack and run the motor for 20 seconds or so. Then try to hand turn the prop, you feel all kinds of resistance. Does just a bit of heat expand something inside to cause this? Noticed this flying my mini funtana a few days ago. Was worried that something had given inside the motor. But, threw in another pack and the plane flew just fine.

Dave...

why are you turning a prop by hand with a battery hooked up to it, They do bite and they dont do like a dog and just nibble they can take your finger off. Be careful, I would say its cause it has no power running to it then your hooking power to it.

debhicks
11-05-2005, 09:29 PM
? Likes to live dangerously? :) You'll get respect first time it starts up on you with you little fingers in the way. Like touching the hot stove:)

Please be careful.

LuckyArmpit
11-06-2005, 03:37 AM
I have a heavy glove I use sometimes on my glow engines to start.
I had it on when turning prop by hand so as to not repeat a trip to the ER.
I haven't oiled anything as of yet. But will do so!!!! Makes sense about the brake on the esc and motor being armed.
Yeah, I am a bit goofy by hand turning prop with batt connected.....got bit once a few years ago on a speed 600 and Olympus gearbox with 12x8 prop. Had the system on. Just got a new Eclipse radio. Went to grab something and just nicked the throttle lever. That prop's tips hit my forearm and caused 4 stitches worth of damage, a tetanus shot, and blood stains on basement floor that still stands there today. Its a reminder to keep that radio away from the general work area.

Dave...

trogdor
11-06-2005, 05:48 AM
This has something to do with a charge(?) being built up in the ESC I think. I've noticed this on some motors/escs where when power off for awhile it spins freely but when run and then unplugged from battery its stiff for 20 seconds or so, it frees up after though to normal, no need for oil!

larrymcg
11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
With my HiMax 2015 and E-flite ESC I find that, with the prop brake OFF, there is resistance to spinning the prop that shows up as soon as you disconnect the battery. And the resistance lingers for at least 2 hours. Connecting a battery allows the prop to spin freely again. One of our experts at the field says it's working just like it should.
Larry

ragbag
11-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Turning a prop by hand with the battery connected?

Unlike glo motors, when an electric prop hits something it doesn't stop.

It asks for more amps and continues to turn until something breaks.

Fingers, prop or the esc lets the smoke out of the little smoke box that they all have built in them.

Not good for something or somebody!

MHO/.02:D

By George

larrymcg
11-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I spin my prop using the spinner. That keeps the fingers out of danger!
--Larry

Gullwing
11-15-2005, 03:10 AM
I have found that all my brushless motors do this, I have MP Jet outrunners; AXI outrunners and e-flite park 370 with a gearbox. From what I was told it is normal. It is a feed back from the esc brake, even if the brake is set to the off setting and even after the battery is unplugged. It goes back to normal after awhile. The way to tell it is the esc is to unplug one or two wires off the esc and it loosens right back up......GW