PDA

View Full Version : Electristar Wing Damage

JIM WEST
07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
The Electristar is an RTF trainer with a traditional built up wing. The plane is designed to have the wing held on by a total of 12 rubber bands. Well, I recently noticed that the rubber bands have caved in the leading edge in about 1/2" for a distance of roughly 3".

I am new to this and need advice on how to fix this properly.

wcmead
09-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Have you fixed the problem, yet?

I've flown ours several times without any wing problems. Are you using #64 rubber bands?

To repair, I'd remove the covering around the damage and use epoxy to mount a 1/16" plywood plate on each side, extending back 2-3" beyond the front of the wing. You might have to glue it in stages, allowing it to dry with epoxy on the trailing edge of the plywood, then spread epoxy on the rest and clamp or rubber band into place.

Good luck.

Dorsal
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
12 rubber bands?? I've never seen more than 6 used on a 60-sized balsa stunter!
Maybe that's the cause of the problem, in the first place.

JIM WEST
09-13-2007, 09:49 PM
The wing is now fixed. I know 12 rubber bands seems excessive but that's what the instructions call for. I'm going to try cutting that down to 6 and see how secure that is. Thanks

gfdengine204
09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Jim,

Hiya neighbor! I have the same plane. Noticed a little indentation, but not 1/2"! I will keep an eye on mine in the future.

Also, I have used 10 rubber bands and the wing is mighty secure. I sure wish they woulda built it with the option of bolt-on for future use.