PDA

View Full Version : looking for horns + clevices

elec3d
11-05-2005, 05:07 PM
im just wondering what sorts of horns + clevices yas are using for your
3d foamys, a friend and myself have just started putting some 3d shockflyerish planes together but are at a bit of a loss finding suitable
clevices to suit the thin carbon rod, the shockflyer plastic parts are
fantastic if only you could buy them separatlely.

~Phill

fdix
11-05-2005, 08:43 PM
We use home made carbon horns connected to the rods via heat shrink tubing.

elec3d
11-06-2005, 02:46 AM
sounds like a good idea do you have any pics of this set up.

flypaper 2
11-06-2005, 04:45 AM
I make the horns from 1/32 plywood and Z bends or Dubro mini links for the pushrod ends. A V bent into the wire for adjustment. A piece of .030 piano wire is CA'd and bound with dental floss to the carbon fibre or bambo skewer pushrods. Hope this helps.

elec3d
11-22-2005, 12:53 PM
thanks for the ideas i ended up using horns made from lite ply and heat shrink on 2mm carbon rod with dubro mini kwik-link clevices its working spot on, the dubro 2-56 clevices are a nice tight fit on the 2mm carbon.

~Phill

G_Countryman
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Try using those zip ties, or cable ties some people call them. Just cut at an angle both ends, and drill the exact size hole for your push rod in one end, and stick the other end in the foam so as to line up the end with the hole right over the hinge line,then glue it in place, then make a Z bend and go from there, they work great, and you can make quite a few from one zip tie.
Gary

HermitRiver
05-16-2006, 06:56 PM
im just wondering what sorts of horns + clevices yas are using for your
3d foamys, a friend and myself have just started putting some 3d shockflyerish planes together but are at a bit of a loss finding suitable
clevices to suit the thin carbon rod, the shockflyer plastic parts are
fantastic if only you could buy them separatlely.

~Phill

I have been cutting about 7/8" yo 1" off heavy duty plastic knives and drilling holes. Use a Z bend or clevis if you like. Leave serated edge to rear. Cut a slot with razor knife, serations cut thru and fit very tight. Have used them on all my combat planes, even my HL yak55. Gonna keep using them too. Hermit

elec3d
05-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks hermit i will have to give that a try on my next project.
like your website
regards Phill

HermitRiver
05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks hermit i will have to give that a try on my next project.
like your website
regards Phill

Phil, works real good and saves a little to put into more goodies like a mess of foam. :DHermit