PDA

View Full Version : li-po charging and hobbico field charger

rmbler
11-06-2005, 01:04 AM
hi all once again i am in need of your help i just picked up a hobbico field charger from a friend with no instructions i know the 3rd time you push the button is for li-po's but i need to know if the charger in fact has a safty switch so as to not over charger. any help at all will be greatly appreciated. its the hobbico quick field charger mkII

thanks in advance
Phil.

timocharis
11-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Phil,

In all probability it will undercharge. Those were designed for Li-Ion (and are safe to use as far as I know) but will only go to 4.1v/cell instead of the typical 4.2v max for LiPolys. They automatically sense cell count and will turn of the cycle when the battery is done. They're generally reliable.

Before you panic about the low voltage max, that amounts to less than 10 percent of the total charge. It does mean your flight times will be a bit shorter, with a bit less initial burst, but you won't notice it that much. The plus side is, since they average on the low side, they're much less likely to cause a slightly imbalanced pack to get an overcharged cell. In general, you'll get slightly less oomph out of your batteries, but they should (in theory) last longer than they otherwise would.

Dave North

rmbler
11-06-2005, 02:40 AM
thanks for the very reassuring info i was a bit worried i have a 11.1 v 860 E-Flight battery and want to run the charger through a stand alone auto battery charger with a 12v accessory input and was told to leave the amps on the charger at between 6-7 amps is this correct?

thanks again
Phil.

timocharis
11-06-2005, 04:28 AM
On that dial that's 0.6 to 0.7 amps. Basically, that's good advice. In theory you can go up to 0.86 safely, but the dang dial is so coarse you never really know where you are. So it's best to do just as advised.

Dave North

rmbler
11-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks again Dave i feel much more secure knowing what i am dealing with here i don't mind the shorter flight time as long as i don't blow the battery up its worth the few minutes i will lose i would rather get another li-po and just change it out after a few mins. again i am very grateful for you help

Regards,
Phil.

timocharis
11-07-2005, 04:32 AM
You're welcome! And you're right to ask. Better safe than sorry when it comes to LiPos.

Dave

Jimmy Hoffa
11-09-2005, 12:01 PM
want to run the charger through a stand alone auto battery charger with a 12v accessory input

Phil,
I'm not sure what you meant, but you can not use a battery charger as the power source for your Hobbico. You need either a 12 volt battery or a 110volt power converter.
Phillip

rmbler
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
hi Phillip i think i wasn't clear as to how i was gonna use the battery jump starter it has a 12v adapter on it that allows you to charge cell phones ect. its out put is 12 volt like a cigarette lighter

Regards
Phil

gditeam
08-07-2007, 05:23 AM
how do you know when the hobbico is done charging though?

Crash Test Dummy
08-07-2007, 05:40 AM
When it is done charging it will beep at first and then the light will flash. I have had one of these for about 2 years now and it has been great. I have it and a Triton, so I can re-charge 3 batteries at a time. Great value for a low cost. However they won't put out much more than 1 AMP for charging larger packs. With the Triton I can charge a 2100 Mah pack much faster cause I can set the input AMPs at 2.1 on the Triton.

CTD

nicomtl
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
The manual for this charger is available from hobbico's web site:

Download the manual (http://http//manuals.hobbico.com/hca/hcap0290-manual-v1_2.pdf)

Nicolas