PDA

View Full Version : Walkera 36B as a second heli

Chippie
08-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Hello!

Thanks to you guys my introduction to helis has been a great success :)
I started with the V3 Lama from esky and i feel i have really mastered it, so i am starting to look around for a second helicopter these days.
The Walkera 36B looks like real fun, but do you think it might be to big of a step from the V3? Any other recomendations for a heli nr 2, or does the 36B look like a okay option?
It really seems like its a machine you can grow with, learn to tune and adjust as you wish over time..but if any of you has som experience with it, just feel free to share some :D
Thanks alot for your help :ws:

xuzme720
08-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Hello!

Thanks to you guys my introduction to helis has been a great success :)
I started with the V3 Lama from esky and i feel i have really mastered it, so i am starting to look around for a second helicopter these days.
The Walkera 36B looks like real fun, but do you think it might be to big of a step from the V3? Any other recommendations for a heli nr 2, or does the 36B look like a okay option?
It really seems like its a machine you can grow with, learn to tune and adjust as you wish over time..but if any of you has some experience with it, just feel free to share some :D
Thanks alot for your help :ws:

the walkeras have some issues with their electronics and out of box setup. I own a 60 and it took some serious tuning to get it where it was flyable. they are a reasonably priced bird if you have the know how to set it up or have someone that can help. just be careful with the radio they come with, as it seems to be fairly glitchy when you have some distance between you and your bird. if you have a decent radio already, this shouldn't be an issue. hope this helps.

Chippie
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
i've heard som rumors about that as well..seems to be quite an issue.
I've got a Hitec 7 radio though, think i might be able to use that, but then i still ned a gyro and ESC etc. The good thing is that the money in this business goes away no matter what happens :D
Anyway, thanks alot for the reply, i'll keep it in mind :)

xuzme720
08-05-2007, 08:20 PM
i've heard som rumors about that as well..seems to be quite an issue.
I've got a Hitec 7 radio though, think i might be able to use that, but then i still ned a gyro and ESC etc. The good thing is that the money in this business goes away no matter what happens :D
Anyway, thanks alot for the reply, i'll keep it in mind :)

I do like the walkera gyro, it seems solid enough. and so far the servos are holding, but I have heard stories about them, too. but the airframe itself isn't too bad for the price. I can't speak for the 36 but my 60 with the BL/lipo upgrade and the metal head and tail, (minus the radio trouble) was a very reasonable deal.

Chippie
08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Well maybe this little boy gets a new baby in one of the following days then:D Isn't the 60 just an upgrade from the 36? or i might be moving into some wrong fields here..
oh, and BTW! Just a couple of last things, i've noticed the words "PIT" on the controller, tried to look it up, but couldnt find anything, now what it is?
And 36/60, does this mean the size of the heli? like...i've got a 60 size heli?

xuzme720
08-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Well maybe this little boy gets a new baby in one of the following days then:D Isn't the 60 just an upgrade from the 36? or i might be moving into some wrong fields here..
oh, and BTW! Just a couple of last things, i've noticed the words "PIT" on the controller, tried to look it up, but couldnt find anything, now what it is?
And 36/60, does this mean the size of the heli? like...i've got a 60 size heli?

I'm not real sure what the numbers mean exactly, but judging from what I can find on them, I think you're basically right. the 68,(which is about what I have now, after the upgrades) is the same size as my 60, which I believe is also the same as the 36, but fewer features, like motor battery and such. or the 36 might be a class size under the 60. the 60 is a 400/450 size like the t-rex 450. have you seen anything about the size of the 36?

the PIT lock on the controller is for adjusting the pitch curve. it's covered in the manual they come with, but if you need more info just let me know.

Chippie
08-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I see i see, i'll try to read some on the subject myself and see if i can make something out of it :) those heli's of yours dont seeme to differ much from one another either, so the class might have something to say with the equipment you're using as well?
Anyway, Your machines looked really nice though:D
And if I buy a heli with for instance a brushed motor a Ni-MH battery, it's possible to change to BL/lipo without to much trouble? no doubt does the BL pack a bit more punch

xuzme720
08-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I see i see, i'll try to read some on the subject myself and see if i can make something out of it :) those heli's of yours dont seeme to differ much from one another either, so the class might have something to say with the equipment you're using as well?
Anyway, Your machines looked really nice though:D
And if I buy a heli with for instance a brushed motor a Ni-MH battery, it's possible to change to BL/lipo without to much trouble? no doubt does the BL pack a bit more punch

just keep in mind when you go from brushed to brushless, you need to change the speed controller as well. so to go BL/ lipo from brushed/NiMH means new motor,new ESC and new battery. just consider the cost when you're shopping. I got my 60 on ebay with the lipo and brushless setup included, with the metal head and tail as a free upgrade. the radio I'm using with it now, I already owned. I only needed a new Rx to fly with that radio. also note the training gear as I'm still chasing a weird bobble that comes and goes. I haven't had much time to fly it so I haven't found the exact cause yet, but I might need to swap out the servos or ESC.

by the way, if you look closely, they are slightly different in size. the 60 is a 400 size and the t-rex is a 450.

here's a shot with my firefox 100 that I'm trying to the gyro straightened out on so I can get the bird in the air for real! lol

Chippie
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Okay, to replace all those may be up in 60$ or something if i'm not all wrong (not top of the line equipment though) a bubble, as in the electronics are "hicking (?)" i've had some trouble with that on other heli's..
Yea, now I see it, the t-rex is a bit bigger!
Haha :D all the small joy's in life =)

xuzme720
08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Okay, to replace all those may be up in 60$ or something if i'm not all wrong (not top of the line equipment though) a bobble, as in the electronics are "hicking (?)" i've had some trouble with that on other heli's..
Yea, now I see it, the t-rex is a bit bigger!
Haha :D all the small joy's in life =)

depending on where you get the parts, that sounds about right. and yes, the bobble seems to be a weird hiccup in the electronics. also sorry about the delayed reply. I've been out of town for the last week. I had my laptop with me but the hotel only had wi-fi in the lobby.:red:

Chippie
08-12-2007, 01:58 PM
He he, that's okay!:D
Yea thats exactly the same things i''ve seen as well.. You probably got alot more experience with this than me, but if i ever find out what that stuff is, i'll share it right here:D

By the way..forgive me father, cause i have synded (dont really know how to wright it) BUT!
A couple of days ago I ordered a Copter X 450AE with a futaba 401 gyro, and the hitec 7 radio set i already have from previous rc things..
i was told this was quite a hardcore setup (well..not as Trex-level, but still)
Hope to get it in a matter of days..wish me luck!:D

xuzme720
08-12-2007, 06:41 PM
that does sound pretty sweet. the only thing I would tell you is this...if I had it to do over again, I would probably have gotten my first bird, then just flown that until I was able to get a t-rex. even if it meant waiting and doing like I am now, a few parts at a time. if you have a chance, just check out a rex. you have some experience with parts and fittings by now and you can see and feel the difference. this is the same thing I was told when I first got into heli's but being me I thought I could shortcut it and couldn't see paying that kind of money when I could find cheaper heli's that looked the same.
anyway, enjoy the new heli. I know you will! and good luck!!

Chippie
08-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Yea thats true, the reason it ended at the copterX was because its just a much cheaper version of the trex, but like one-third of the prise even if much of the parts are the same..
But I really see your point, and i'll have it in the back of my mind, thanks:)
I can post some pictures and let you know how i'm doing when a get it, and I hope to hear som cool stories from you as well :)

oh..i do got some other good news as well, not to far from here I got to know a 10 time norwegian champion in RC heli and he was very willing to set it up and learn me some real heli flying, so thats a little comfort though :)

xuzme720
08-13-2007, 12:45 AM
that's too awesome! the help will be more ...well, help....than a more expensive heli.

Chippie
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Just crossing my fingers now! :) see you later!

Chippie
09-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey once again!
My copterX 450 is now completed and flies like a dream! thanks for all the tips i got from looking at these sites. Even got a 30 sec hover the first time i got it airborne, i was quite impressed myself, he he:)

RemoteFlyer
11-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I got a cheap Walkera #36 in bits, so I upgraded it to Brushless, changed the receiver and messed with it, it's now a great bit of cheap fun that i don't worry about too much when I fly it. And as the dark nights are now with us, i still have lots of fun with it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/images/17576/medium/1_Walkera__36_Night_Flyer_1.jpg
And a remote control Landing Light

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/images/17576/medium/1_Walkera__36_Night_Flyer_2.jpg