PDA

View Full Version : What's a good setup for a Chubby Lady

n003lb
11-07-2005, 01:57 AM
I have an FSK Chubby Lady here and I want a little advice before I build it. I had one of these a few years ago and it had some major motor problems. It was one of my first models, so I didn't realize it had problems until it was too late. It crashed and was destroyed on it's maiden flight. About 2 weeks ago, I manged to get another one from ebay and, now, I want to do this one right.

What would be a good setup (Motor/ESC/Battery/...) to use on this one. I would like it to have a fair amount of power because I want to use it for aero-towing some small gliders I have, including an FSK Sky Beetle.

I have an E-flite Park 370 brushless motor here that I would like to use on it, but I don't know if I could. Would it be too much power for this plane. The Lady comes stock with a Mig 280 motor geard 1:4 (that's what the box says). I know I'll have to stiffen the wings up some. I had planned on doing that anyway.

I may start a build thread on this plane when I start it.

[EDIT] If anyone is interested, my brother has a build thread going for his Sky Beetle glider. This is principally what we want to tow up with the C/L.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293

GallopingGhost
11-07-2005, 02:21 AM
I have no advice on that plane as I have never seen one. However more power is almost always welcome. Is the weight of both power systems about the same? If the weight and balance works out tooo much power is easy to live with if you have the self control.

qban_flyer
11-07-2005, 05:52 AM
I have an FSK Chubby Lady here and I want a little advice before I build it. I had one of these a few years ago and it had some major motor problems. It was one of my first models, so I didn't realize it had problems until it was too late. It crashed and was destroyed on it's maiden flight. About 2 weeks ago, I manged to get another one from ebay and, now, I want to do this one right.

What would be a good setup (Motor/ESC/Battery/...) to use on this one. I would like it to have a fair amount of power because I want to use it for aero-towing some small gliders I have, including an FSK Sky Beetle.

I have an E-flite Park 370 brushless motor here that I would like to use on it, but I don't know if I could. Would it be too much power for this plane. The Lady comes stock with a Mig 280 motor geard 1:4 (that's what the box says). I know I'll have to stiffen the wings up some. I had planned on doing that anyway.

I may start a build thread on this plane when I start it.

You don't state which of the Park 370 motors you have. Is it one of the two outrunners or is it the inrunners.

I bought a Chubby Lady from H/L and hated its gearbox/motor combination. Not enough power to get it going properly and if I added an extra cell to get more thrust out of it, I was defeated by the extra weight of that cell. Catch 22 all the way. Wound up getting rid of such cute little thing.

All versions of the E-Flite Park 370 motors will outperform what was recommended for that plane three plus years ago by a wide margin.

If the inrunner get the E-Flite gearbox, it will be ideal with that model. If what you have is the EFLM1000 or EFLM1205 outrunner, it makes for an easier installation than the geared affair, though both apporaches will perform superbly with your C/L.

That model will take off at approximately 1/3 throttle with either combination. You'll have plenty power to get you out of trouble should the plane be flown under brisk wind conditions (up to 10 MPH).

BTW, those motors won't rip the wings off unless you put the plane on a full throttle death dive.:D

n003lb
11-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I didn't realize Eflite made more than one Park 370. I got it consignment from a LHS. It is an inrunner, 5400 kv. That's all I know about it.

I decided to try the plane initially with the motor from a GWS EPS-300C that I had laying around here. It should provide better power than the 280, and it's a perfect fit for the stock gearbox. I'm going to upgrade it to the Eflite motor as soon as I can, probably within the month, or as soon as I can get a gearbox for it.

qban_flyer
11-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I didn't realize Eflite made more than one Park 370. I got it consignment from a LHS. It is an inrunner, 5400 kv. That's all I know about it.

I decided to try the plane initially with the motor from a GWS EPS-300C that I had laying around here. It should provide better power than the 280, and it's a perfect fit for the stock gearbox. I'm going to upgrade it to the Eflite motor as soon as I can, probably within the month, or as soon as I can get a gearbox for it.

The GWS will be a better set up thatn the 280, the E-Flite would make a much marked improvement on the C/L flight characteristics. It will have a "crisp" feel to its flight, for lack of a better description.

They make five (5) different versions of the 370 series. Link below will take you to their site, where you will find the one you have as well as others.

Their 20 amp Brushless ESC is very good and simple to operate too.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByBrand/BrandDetail.aspx?OverallBrandID=EFL&CatID=APK&SearchType=Standard

n001pa
11-07-2005, 08:10 PM
I thought I would post here that n003lb is hoping to be able to pull my Sky Beetle (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293). Here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293) is a build thread for it.

WWI Ace
11-07-2005, 11:32 PM
I thought what would be good for a Chubby Lady is a sandwich!!!! HaHa!!!

Twmaster
11-08-2005, 12:51 AM
I thought what would be good for a Chubby Lady is a sandwich!!!! HaHa!!!

Bwahahhahhaaaa! Good one Ace!

n003lb, please post your results as I have a new in box Fatty Sparrow and will for sure not be using the awful power set that came with both kits. I saw that CL on Feebay last week (or was it two weeks?) ago. Damn near bid on it. ;)

I was thinking one of those Chinese TowerPro or BP21 outrunners for mine since I have two sitting in my parts box.

n003lb
11-08-2005, 01:02 AM
n003lb, please post your results as I have a new in box Fatty Sparrow and will for sure not be using the awful power set that came with both kits. I saw that CL on Feebay last week (or was it two weeks?) ago. Damn near bid on it. ;)

I was thinking one of those Chinese TowerPro or BP21 outrunners for mine since I have two sitting in my parts box.

I will post how she flys as soon as I get her flying. Hopefully by this weekend. I've got some other projects going right now.

I actually got outbid on this plane, but the seller gave me a second chance offer and I took it. I noticed that night the seller had another one up for sale again.

Twmaster
01-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Say n003lb, didja ever get this flying?

Warden
01-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Yep, the stock Chubby Lady is woefully underpowered. It'll fly but not very well. I got a replacement motor and a gear box with a bearing from H/L and the flight improvement was tremendous.

And then..........I got a little too adventureous and started doing some mild aerobatics. Coming out of a loop the left wing folded up just like a wounded duck! Soooooo, if you are going to do more than putt around with the CL, reinforce the wings!

Twmaster
01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Warden: What motor/GB did you end up with?

Warden
01-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I figured someone would ask me that but to be honest about it, I don't know. I just called HL and told them that I wanted a new motor/GB for the Chubby Lady.
The new motor/gear box is a direct swap with the old one. The only difference was that the prop shaft on the new gear box was a bit shorter so I had to cut back the cowl a bit to clear the prop.

I looked for the reciept to see if I could give you the actual numbers for the the new set up but I came up empty. Sorry.

Twmaster
01-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Warden, no worry. I appreciate you taking the time to look yet alone respond to my query.

Cheers!

n001pa
01-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I thought I'd post and let you know what's going on. N003LB lost his job and so the CL has been on hold because he doesn't want to risk it with to weak a motor. As soon as he can get a new job he hopes to get a brushless for it.

Warden
Thanks for the heads-up about the wings. I'll be sure to tell him so he can add some carbon rod to the wings.

Twmaster
01-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Thank you for the update. I'm thinking about a small JustGoFly.com 300DH outrunner for my Fatty Sparrow.