PDA

View Full Version : Sky Beetle Build

n001pa
11-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Ok folks. This is my first build thread. This is a Flying Styro Sky Beetle. I picked this up on ebay for a song. I have always loved the lines of this plane but Hobby Lobby stoped selling them for some reason.

This version includes a 280 motor and gear box but I wanted to build it as a true glider and possibly get my brothers Chubby Lady to tow it up. He has started a thread here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2290) for help on setting it up right.

First impressions are very good. I like the quality and packaging.

n001pa
11-07-2005, 02:55 AM
This glider probably wouldn't be real good for a complete newbee. The instructions leave alot to be desired. The illustrations are decent but the text is pretty badly translated. On the plus side there isn't much to the plane so you should be able to figure everything out if you have built one or two arfs in the past.

The parts look real good and I kind of like the motor and gearbox setup. It will end up on another project.

n001pa
11-07-2005, 02:58 AM
The first challenge would have to be getting the landing skid on right. It was a little tricky but having an extra set of hands helped.

n001pa
11-07-2005, 03:48 AM
I think I am going to do my first mod here. The radio installation will be very diffecult. All of the gear is installed through the cockpit and there just isn't any room. I am going to cut the top of the fuse loose from the cockpit forward to about a half inch from the nose cap. This should give plenty of room to install everything and to change the battery. I will then use very thin magnets to hold the hatch in place.

n001pa
11-09-2005, 06:52 AM
I got the new hatch cut out. Will make it alot easier to install the radio gear. I also got the tray for the radio gear in it.

n001pa
11-09-2005, 07:15 AM
The instuctions say to cut the wing struts down to 280 mm and glue them to the landing skid first. You then bend the wings down slightly to the struts. This gives the wing a slight inverted gull wing shape. The problem is that when I did that I ended up with the wings bent down at a considerable angle. I didn't have any more hardwood sticks to cut new ones with so I cut some spacer blocks to get the correct dihedral. If I built another one I wouldn't cut the wing struts down any.

n001pa
11-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Here all the radio gear has been installed. I am using a 2 cell lipo for the reciever battery because it's the lightest battery I have. Will this be a problem? I have never used a lipo for a reciever battery. I also had to put the battery under the pilot because ther is no way it would balance in the nose without weight added to the tail, even with the lipo.

I also got the hatch reinstalled. I used four pieces of 3 mm depron glude to the inside of the hatch. These pieces hold the hatch to the inside of the fusalge. I think this will work pretty well.

n001pa
11-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Here it is before the decals and pilot. It will be a few days before I can finish it because I have to go back to work.

velojet
04-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Are you still watching this thread, n001pa? I hope you are, because I've just bought a Sky Beetle kit at online auction - partly because it looked good in your build photos!

How did you get on with it? I'd be most interested in any further building hints - and of course flying hints!

n001pa
04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
There was an issue with Wattflyer not allowing unpowered gliders quite some time ago so I stopped the build. Like alot of projects it then got set aside and I haven't done much with it since. I'll see about getting it back out this weekend and get it finished. It's still a sweet looking plane and a fun and relaxing build.

Carl

velojet
04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the timely response, Carl! It's great to know that this thread - and your project - still has life in it. I look forward to seeing more pictures - including in flight!

I'll build my Sky Beetle as a powered craft, so it'll be interesting to compare.