PDA

View Full Version : adding balancing connector

JimClark
11-07-2005, 07:51 AM
I was wondering how hard is it to add the wiring and connector necessary to an existing battery be able to balance lipo cells? they would be 4s1p 20c packs
Jim clark

Matt Kirsch
11-07-2005, 05:36 PM
This is one of those things that if you have to ask, it's probably not something you can, or want to, do yourself. I say this because adding the taps requires a skilled hand with the soldering iron to keep from ruining the cells in the process. That level of skill with the soldering iron would also imply enough electronics knowledge to know where to place the taps, and how to wire them.

But if you're really determined, and don't care if you destroy the cells in the process...

In a nutshell, a tap is a wire that extends from each cell-to-cell connection, allowing you to connect to each cell individually.

On a 4S pack, you'd have a total of 5 wires for tapping purposes. Starting from the main + wire, you have a wire between cell 1 and 2, a wire between cell 2 and 3, a wire between cell 3 and 4, and the main - wire. By connecting to any two consecutive wires, you can measure the voltage of any individual cell, and/or charge it independently of the others.

If you want it to be compatible with an existing balancing system, such as FMA's or ThunderPower's, or Apogee's, or whatever else is on the market, you would need to consult with a manufacturer or vendor to get the proper wiring and connector type. A mis-wired tap system is worse than no taps at all.

ragbag
11-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Here is the wiring diagram for the Polyquest PCM's.
It gives you an idea of what you would want to end up with. It does take a steady hand and the proper tools.
The PCM is the safety unit for their packs. It would be easier to put taps on theirs if they weren't already there.

Some units have a pc board on the head of the pack, I wouldn't even cut the shrink off of one of those, it would require soldering on a pc board. Smoked too many cig's when I did smoke.:eek:
I do shake.:o

I have put "taps" on several of the older Lipo's, it was the first of the balancing system. Guess that's how we know it works.

By George

3578 3579 3580