PDA

View Full Version : Here's A Video Request For Ya'.

GreenAce92
08-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Hi all,

I was watching dogfights the other day one of my favorite shows on discovery channel and i remember hearing about a manuver where you pretty much skid. You put in either right or left rudder and bank the opposite way. Now my request is could someone with a plane that has ailerons and rudder try this like video tape it doing that. That would be neat ive never seen that be done before.

thanks.

Oh and i wouldnt care what type of plane that does it i would just like to see that manuver pulled off.

yossarian
08-14-2007, 09:15 AM
The only planes I've been able to Side Slip are my gliders. I mean, I can side slip my other planes too, right into the ground!

Usually the manuever is used to dump altitude as in the case of a high aproach. In a dogfight, I guess it was probably used to throw off an attackers gun hairs?

It's called side slipping because it's exactly what you're doing. Slipping off to one side. The wings are held around 45 degrees of bank, with tons of opposite rudder, like you said. Your heading indicator will say one thing and your gps will say your ground course changed about 30 degrees in the direction of the bank! :D

GreenAce92
08-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah i remember they said that that move was for when you have an enemy behind you firing you do that move and it makes it harder for them to hit you because the body gets smaller and its also not facing straight os its harder to hit i think thats what they said i might have to rewatch the episode i always try this move on simulators but i havent pulled it off.

yossarian
08-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Imagine how confusing it would look too. You've got the guy lined up, you're even leading your shots towards where it looks like his plane is going. After all, you're taught to lay out sleeper rounds, in the path of the defender, investing in the future. But you're shots are consistently going high and to the right. 'Cause the bastard is side slipping. :D

Now that you mention it, I think I know the dogfighting episode you're referring to. Some slower Navy plane get's engaged by two Zero's. The only thing the Naval aviator has going for him is a much tougher plane and better training. I believe he forced them into continuous head-on passes, as opposed to a turning dogfight that he would likely lose with his slower, less manuverable plane. So while he was head on passing one zero, the other would be lining up on his tail so he'd side slip, immelman when the zero overshoots, and take on the other zero in a head-on again. My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember the Navy plane taking a few hits, but the armor saved it. One of the zero's was even downed by a collison from the Navy pilot. Navy guy makes it home in that episode.

GreenAce92
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah it was on that episode and also with the Republic P47's fighting the ME109's i think. It must be hard to hit a plane if they are side slipping. Once i get a nice size plane that has ailerons and rudder i will have to try this move.

yossarian
09-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Just get pletny of altitude before the new trick! ;)

GreenAce92
09-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I hope it works later on i will have to post the vid on here. Oh and sorry for the long pause on my replies my Computer crashed and i just got it back from the shop.