PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Seawind Seaplane EP

mpotter187
08-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Anyone have one of these yet I just noticed it on Towers site today. I wonder how it flys and if its durable being all EP foam? Seems like a rough landing on water may cause a crack in the hull and sink it. Here is a link as well http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/greatplanes/gpma1169.html

Fly Time
08-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Sharp looking airplane! I'm thinking about getting one too. I wouldn't worry about sinking it though. It's made of foam so you probably couldn't sink it if you tried. I would be more worried about flipping it over in the water and shorting out the electronics.

John C
08-25-2007, 02:56 AM
My LHS got one in and the co-owner grabbed it and took it to the pond. Report is it flies well, rolls & loops, etc. He got it about 900' out and lost signal with the small Rx he was using and dunked it, shorting out Rx and BEC. It's about ready to fly again from what I understand.

I'm going to look into one as well, but it will be a couple of months out.

John C

rcplanecrasher
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I saw one fly this past weekend at the Midwest Regional Float Fly. It was set up with the recommended motor and battery. I handled on the water way better than the glow version. It flew very well, the pilot did every trick in the book including rolling circles. The flight times were very long with mostly aerobatics. Touch and goes and landings worked good. The pilot said it handled winds better than expected.

killickb
09-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Got one of these last monday, flew today off of short grass. Used the 950 motor, APC 8x6 prop, 1800 pack, 18 T'bird ESC. Only mod was to make the water rudder a single bolt mount able to kick up above rear chine for land takeoffs. Did mount wing with 4-40 bolt instead of the screw ---looks like the blind nut or nylon tube is tapped for 4-40 although that seems strange for an offshore kit ??
Anyway flew perfectly with cg at aft limit. Easy take off from grass, very stable in air. Does all expected manouevres including outside spins. Inverted with little down required. What was great was it's pitch stability essential for smooth water landings -- now off to the lake!

agshane
09-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Have had the Seawind for about three weeks and have flown it almost every day. It was setup with a Rimfire and ESC as spec'd by Hobbico. It is guided with a Spektrum DX7 and powered with a 1300 mah lipo. Waterproofed the electronics with CorrosionX.
The Seawind will takeoff from grass or water with equal ease! Flies in the wind without any problems what so ever. (10-12mph).
The Seawind will stay in the air about 9 to 10 minutes at 1/2 throttle. Aerobatics, no problem, water landings, a little nose up, no problems.

The only thing you must remember: No hard throttle increases when flying slow or taking off on the water and be sure to hold full up elevator on the takeoff run. Other than that the plane flies like it's on rails and very, very smooth! :tc::tc::tc::)

rcplanecrasher
11-04-2007, 11:18 AM
:) Yup, I got one of my own. As others have said, it flies great with no bad habits. After several flights off water with nary a bad landing, the wing came off in flight. The resulting crash broke the fuselage, tore the motor mount loose and peeled the hull bottom plastic strip off. The autopsy showed that the wood support for the wing screw had separated from the foam and the wing jumped into the prop. All damage was fixable and it is back in the air. :tc:

kawika1kalina
11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I got one about three weeks ago. It took one evening to put it all together. Then I had to wait a couple of weeks to try it out due to bad weather.

Last Monday was my first chance to give it a try, the lake was glass smooth.

I taxied around for a bit, adding a little more throttle each pass, everything ran smoothly and looked good. I brought it back in to do a last check before take off, ever thing was working as it should.

Taxied way out to my right, turned it around so it would pass and lift off in front of me. With elevator up full and adding throttle gradually to 3/4, it passes me like a rocket, but still on the water, added more throttle and then more and finally it lifts off, but not climbing, went to full speed and it climbs to about three feet. By now it is getting way out there and I can't turn for fear of dipping the wing tip in the water, I throttled back to land it. Suddenly there is two big splashes and the plane looks like a duck feeding on the bottom, nose down, butt in the air. Now I'm thinking I killed it and I'm wondering how I'm going to get her back to shore.

Slowly the plane rolls upright, but it don't look pretty, something looks twisted. I tried the throttle and the plane moved, so I brought it back to shore. It's then I find that the tail is cracked wide open on one side and the elevator is in the full down position. I try the radio and all controls worked but at full up the elevator looks at level to slightly up.

Back at home, I fixed the tail with a little epoxy and then worked on the elevator, I thought maybe the cable to the elevator came loss and slipped at the servo, but everything was tight, so I readjusted it to the point where it would work like it should. The cable is now a 1/2 inch shorter and I can't figure out why.

Anyway, I haven't tried flying it sense the repairs were made. Winter is almost here and I'm working on adding skis to a couple other planes.

Still I would like to know how that cable could stretch to affect the elevator to go full down.

Anyway that is my experience with this plane, it can only get better.

Dave

RocketMan
11-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Anyway that is my experience with this plane, it can only get better.
Dave

That is quite a gripping story Dave! I am searching for the 'perfect' winter plane and the Seawind looks like a candidate to me. Uncontrolled behavior like you experienced however would freak me out. I will be very interested to know how your next flight goes!

RM

rnkeng
11-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Anyone know who has the Seawind EP in stock?? Also on the CorrosionX, which are you using Agshane??

Fly Time
11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Anyone know who has the Seawind EP in stock?? Also on the CorrosionX, which are you using Agshane??

Here's one:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/Models/ElectricAirplanes/Kits/Seawind.html

I'm assuming they actually have it in stock, but not certain. Chief Aircraft is actually a full-size aircraft part supplier. Didn't realize they sold RC stuff, but it looks like they actually have a pretty good selection.

Fly Time
11-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey rnkeng, I see my Google search notched me a "Thanks". So did Chief actually have one for you? If so I'll look forward to your flight report. This one is still on my wish list, but I may wait for warmer weather to actually put one in my hangar.

On the question of CorrosionX, I read in another thread that you should use the regular or standard product, not the heavy duty stuff.

stevecooper
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
ya'll can Build one for 20$, two chunkers and a GWS float, sounds like they fly about the same, I had a run of bad luck with G.P. but this new one they got does looks good! your bub, stevecooper

Fly Time
11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey my bub stevecooper, looks good! You are a master of workin' foam! You should go to work for one of the ARF sellers and build prototypes. I know a guy out here in Seattle that does that and makes a nice living messing around with model airplanes all day long!

stevecooper
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
D Payne (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=16830): your to kind my bub, I'm just an old man with to much time on his hands, I invite anyone to build theses planes, I'll even help, my favorate part of this sport is hang'in with my bubs on wattflyer an share'in nutty ideas,your bub, stevecooper

rnkeng
11-18-2007, 02:22 PM
D Payne..... Chief doesn't actually have them in stock, but says the order is due in in early Dec, so I'll let the backorder stand until I get it or find it elsewhere. Thanks again for your assistance.

John Havrilla
12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey guys, I have about 100 flights on my little Sea Wind now. I can't explain how much I love this plane. I'm using a hand made motor that might just be slightly stronger than the recommended motor. I'm also using a spectrum system and 2100 3S TP Light battery. I fly for at least twenty minutes aggressively and have plenty of battery left. You need to get the balance exactly right on this ship or you won't be happy. In the air the plane is more like a pattern ship than a sea plane. This thing can do anything except a nice knife edge. Absolute fun, and even everyone else that I know feels the same way about it. I've flown in 10-12 mph winds also and the plane handles nicely. I'll be trying it off the snow pretty soon.
John

LAbelle44
12-28-2007, 06:42 PM
I got mine in September, used a slighly larger Scorpion than the recommended motor and the stock prop. The wing mount sucks, I re did mine so it would stay on. As a low time pilot i flew it off the grass at my club field a half dozen times before I tried the water. No mods, just flew it and was astounded by the way it flys, very stable, a little fast but not terrible. Now have a dozen water flights and LOVE it. Cant wait for spring to get it on the water again!:ws:

John Havrilla
12-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey 44, What Scorpion did you choose? I also have a Scorpion 2215 and a 2221 (Both kits) that swing the standard prop at about 9,500 rpm's. (13-14 amp draw) I was thinking about using one of them on a second plane. This prop and the HD style props cavitate for me at this speed. I'd like to find a stiffer prop like and APC that isn't so heavy. Does anyone know what the rpm of the suggested motor is with the standard prop and a 3S 2100 mah pack is?
John

John Havrilla
12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh, by the way guy's. I've been flying off the snow. I think it works better than water. I experienced some major trim diferences though. Maybe because of the cold changing the size of the foam or something. But great fun.
John

Fly Time
12-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Hey 44, What Scorpion did you choose? I also have a Scorpion 2215 and a 2221 (Both kits) that swing the standard prop at about 9,500 rpm's. (13-14 amp draw) I was thinking about using one of them on a second plane. This prop and the HD style props cavitate for me at this speed. I'd like to find a stiffer prop like and APC that isn't so heavy. Does anyone know what the rpm of the suggested motor is with the standard prop and a 3S 2100 mah pack is?
John
A 3S 2100 mAh pack will put out about 12 volts (as will any 3 cell lipo regardless of capacity). The suggested motor is the Rimfire 28-30-950. It's a 950kv motor, so RPM at WOT should be 950 x 12 volts = 11,400, assuming the prop doesn't have to work too hard to get there (I can't think of any reason why a recommended prop and motor combo would not run at max RPM).

BTW, if anyone has a different understanding of how this works, please speak up. As my "custom user title" says, I only THINK I know the answer!

LAbelle44
12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
John, I am using A 2215-18 and a 3S1650. I did some testing (but dont put too much on it,I am still refining my procedures)
100% throttle 14.10 amps, 11.14 volts,7560 RPM,158 watts. I am not sure why the RPM is so low from what I expected, the scorpion chart shows it should be about 9600.
but it does fly nice! , had my instructor fly it and he indicated plenty of power was availible.Using a scorpion 25 amp ESC and the supplied 8X6 GP Prop
Hope that helps!;-)

Mark Wood
01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks, LAbelle44! That was exactly the information I needed. I did my first float flying yesterday with a 25E UltraStick and E-Flite's 25 floats. GREAT fun!
The owner of a LHS dropped by just after my flight and had a Seawind along. I was so impressed that I asked him to get one for me on the spot. I have a Scorpion 2215-18 also and Neu 3s 2100 packs available and was wondering if they would work in the Seawind. You answered my question mjust in the nick of time. I might try an APC SF 8x6 prop as it's likely a bit more efficient but it really wouldn't be much of an issue there, eh?

mw

John Havrilla
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey D, I don't think so. I would think the KV of a motor is given as a no load figure. If you have a motor doing 9500 rpm when you're giving it 10 volts, you can certainly estimate what you might have at 12 volts, but you'd never get that with a prop on it. Especially with an 8-6 on a motor of this size. I thought I saw somewhere that people were getting about 7,500 rpm with the stock motor.
Check it out some time.
Happy New Year!
John

John Havrilla
01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
44, I don't think you're off the mark with your Scorpion 22-18. My guess the performance you report would be about equivalent to the Rimfire. Maybe someone with a Rimfire would give us a bench mark, if it's not in the thread someplace already.
I wound one of my Scorpion kits to be a 22-15-20 which is just between the stock options. My KV is almost exactly 1000. I usually get much more wire on the kits than the stock winds. I think I got 7 strands of #30 wire as apposed to #32 wire on the stock wind. This may give me a slight advantage on performance. I just tried a two year old 2100 mah Thunder Power 3S battery and got 8,500 rpm @ 14.8 amps with the stock prop while the battery was running @ 11.3 volts. Running the motor from a power supply @ 12 volts gave me an rpm of 11,969 (no load). When I added the prop and adjusted the supply to 12 volts again the rpm was about 9,000 rpm.
I think I'll put this motor on the Sea Wind and put the hand made motor that's in it now back in the plane that it was designed for.
Hey stop letting us instructors have all the fun flying your planes. Get them sticks under them thumbs of yours, and have a ball. This plane is great.
John
John

LAbelle44
01-02-2008, 02:24 AM
I let my instructors fly it the first few times so I know exactly who to blame when it crashes, like my SS did today, Note to new guys, when plane is inverted push right stick up to go up. pulling down gets you into lawndart competion. But hey I wanted to take out the dihedral and recover anyway;-)

aviatordave
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I live along this quarry, do any of you guys who flew this plane think this is sufficient room? (I cant tell by the video on great planes website how much room is needed for take off and landing)

thanks in advance.....I just noticed the plane is on backorder until Feburary ..

LAbelle44
01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Looks big enough to me, probably will want the wind blowing along the long axis though, It dosent need a real long take off and once off will climb quickly. I life on a river and used a lot of space for a nice shallow landing. Better pilot would probably be able to shorten the approach by a bunch. Neat place to live!:<:

Fly Time
01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
There are a number of youtube videos that I've seen featuring this plane. You could probably get a good idea of take off and landing distances by watching them.

It's a great looking plane! I'm going to get one this summer. It's too cold to be playing on the water this time of year.

SeaFuryOne
02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Pros:>

Great flying plane.
Needs nothing! except the recommended accessories, and use a 2100 not a 1300 battery.

I went with the "hot wind" of the recommended motor.
Unlimited vertical, faster then any plane I have this size (5 others)
1300 battery is to gimp imo, with a 2100 handles wind like there is none, and flies for over 20min's full throttle.
ROG easy
ROW easy
ROS easy
Fully aerobatic minus like knife edge.

Cons:>

Absolutely garbage foam!
Foam is highly cheap, easily dented, scratched, pitted, broken you name it, grass flying ruins the bottom also.
Water removes all paint/decals.
Wing mount may have issues, both of mine were fine.

Does NOT ROG if on wet grass, it simply sticks to it.

If this was made of Elapor or Z foam it would be an all time plane, but the foam its made of is trash :(

Flying advice:>

Applying throtle cause's the nose to pitch down significantly, this is exagerated at slow speeds, as in hand tossing and then applying throttle = instant high speed nose dive from your hand, toss at a high angle when hand launching, ROG is best.
Take offs from ANY surface REQUIRE full up elevator, once she breaks off the surface ease out of the elevator.
If you don't to this it wont ROanything.
Watch ailerons as she gets up on step keep them level or wingtip drag and wipe out occurs.
For water flying, get you some plastic (like a 2liter soda bottle or something) cut strips, 2" wide, 3-4" long cut slit in bottom of outer wing pontoon, at an angle slanting back-wards, insert 1 strip, glue into place, repeat on other-side.
This effectively extends the wing pontoon to reach the surface of whatever your flying from, water, land etc, reducing the likelihood of a wingtip dragging on takeoff which= cartwheeling/crash. Worst location this occurs in on water.
This will look like 2 invisible "ski's" on the wingtips hanging down, it keeps the wings level adds no weight and is almost invisible provided you use clear plastic. Search on http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php for detail and pics of this mod.

If flying on water, waterproof the planes electronics, use corosionX, baggies, something, or you WILL regret it, ask my wallet if you don't believe me.

Conclusion:>
Great plane, fast, fun, sporty, multiple flying field choices, bad, bad, bad foam.

jlintvet
05-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I am new to electric motors but I have an extra Park 480 920 kv (I think). Would this work in this plane by chance?

Fly Time
05-29-2008, 04:57 AM
I am new to electric motors but I have an extra Park 480 920 kv (I think). Would this work in this plane by chance?
The Park 480 910kv motor is made to spin a slightly larger prop than you would want on the Seawind. GP recommends an 8x6, and the 480 is much more efficient with a 10" to 12" prop. A 10" prop might not even fit on that plane without striking the fuselage.

jlintvet
05-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Perfect, thank you!

Mark Wood
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I've been flying my Seawind all summer on the Scorpion 2215-18 and an APC-e 8x6. It's a great combo with a 3s 2100. Tracks great, it's fast and stable. Great fun! :)

mw

Fly Time
05-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Well I've been thinking about buying one of these for awhile now, and with warm weather approaching decided to pull the trigger. It should be here tomorrow, but I'll have to wait another week or so for the ESC to arrive from HC. I've got a Suppo 2217-8 (aka PowerUp 450, aka BP A2217-8) 1100kv outrunner (150 watts) that should fly it nicely.

Looks like there has been a modest price decrease on this plane. I seem to recall it was selling for about $110 last year. It's going for $99 at most places now :)

Fly Time
06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
I flew my Seawind for the first time on Sunday. Was hoping to fly it off of Lake Washington, but decided to do a grass take off from the local school yard instead. I used a GWS 8040 3-bladed prop which worked very well. Not super fast but pretty good climb rate and it sounds great (it's probably just out of balance :rolleyes:). Take offs were quite scale as it took a good 50 or 60 feet to get airborn!

This prop draws just 13 amps vs. close to 20 for the stock 2 bladed prop, so I will probably see a big increase in performance with the stock prop. I'll try it next time.

bfaulguy
09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=SeaFuryOne;367268]Pros:>

Absolutely garbage foam!
Foam is highly cheap, easily dented, scratched, pitted, broken you name it, grass flying ruins the bottom also.

If this was made of Elapor or Z foam it would be an all time plane, but the foam its made of is trash :(
QUOTE]

I was very hesitant to buy the Seawind EP because of this post, but I think you must have an older version. I just bought a new Seawind RX-R, and the updated version is now made of Aerocell Foam....AKA Z-Foam. It's the same stuff my Parkzone T-28 is made of. I called both GP and Tower asking if the foam had been changed, yet both said "no." However, it has been changed from beer-cooler foam to the basketball-sized cell Z foam. This new version is incredible, well worth every penny. I can toss it up front in my boat's cuddy, and go charging through wakes at 50 MPH without fear of it getting damaged. Flies awesome too- it really impresses at cove gatherings. A kid on one of the other boats there says "It's like we're getting a free airshow!"

AirmanAirhead
09-07-2009, 06:44 AM
No doubt others have posted some videos of the Sea Wind. Just recently, me and my buddy flew his Sea Wind, and my Polaris at a local lagoon.

Here's the link of you want to compare the two,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Dys9pzX_s

AirmanAirhead
09-08-2009, 02:04 AM
One more video of just the Sea Wind. Mike buzzed the fountains near the end of the clip. He was in the groove that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LH-3TS5LU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LH-3TS5LU)

FREEBIRD
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=SeaFuryOne;367268]Pros:>

Absolutely garbage foam!

QUOTE]

I was very hesitant to buy the Seawind EP because of this post, but I think you must have an older version. I just bought a new Seawind RX-R, and the updated version is now made of Aerocell Foam....AKA Z-Foam. It's the same stuff my Parkzone T-28 is made of. I called both GP and Tower asking if the foam had been changed, yet both said "no." However, it has been changed from beer-cooler foam to the basketball-sized cell Z foam. This new version is incredible, well worth every penny. I can toss it up front in my boat's cuddy, and go charging through wakes at 50 MPH without fear of it getting damaged. Flies awesome too- it really impresses at cove gatherings. A kid on one of the other boats there says "It's like we're getting a free airshow!"

Tower's site states the RR version is indeed "Aerocell" foam, which is no doubt better than that EPS, that styrene foam is as fragile as a coffee cup. I may have to get one of these.

AirmanAirhead
12-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Not sure about the changes or not that you guys might be referring to regarding the foam. I just know from flying with a buddy of mine (video above) that his is pretty tough. It's foam, and all foam has it's limits, but his is certainly not fragile. He's upgraded the motor and tends to overfly the thing and has had his crashes, but the foam is not the problem, it's him!!!;-)

Alexie9
06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Hello, everyone, I have been flying for a couple months and am looking for a float plane and the seawind caught me, although after reading your posts, I don't quite understand some of the terminology.

Could someone please explain, what is meant by a SCORPION 2215-18 AND 2215-2221. and what a RIMFIRE 28-30-950 is. and finally what a APC SF PROP AND A GP PROP IS.

Thankyou very much, sorry for the ignorance:)

FREEBIRD
06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Anyone have one of these yet I just noticed it on Towers site today. I wonder how it flys and if its durable being all EP foam? Seems like a rough landing on water may cause a crack in the hull and sink it. Here is a link as well http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/greatplanes/gpma1169.html

One thing to watch is the wood motor mount, I have heard they loosen over time, and a few flyers have had them fail in flight. I actually epoxied mine to the foam, and put a coat on the motor box ,and it seems to be doing well. Others have actually drilled holes and pinned them to the foam with dowels. This is indeed a nice seaplane

bfaulguy
06-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Definately pin the motor mount in with some toothpicks or bamboo skewers before first flight. Then what I did was coat the motor mount and all exposed wood with Minwax waterbased polycrylic. The bottom is remarkably tough on the water, but don't do what I did and fly on icy snow. (It's really fun on snow!) Turns out sharp ice can tear it. Still was repairable though, and here's how I did it- I used very light fiberglass cloth with Minwax poly and layed two narrow strips down in between the plastic keel and chines on the hull. This added very little weight, and is now incredibly tough. I've since mixed the proper color bluish green in Walmart acrylics and painted it, the plane looks good as new. Very easy mod. Looking forward to another fun summer on the water with this plane.

bfaulguy
06-06-2010, 12:29 AM
And finally finished.

DragonWeezel
06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Bfaulguy

I am waiting on parts for a Super Stryker I'll be glassing as soon as I get my lights in from Taiwan. I'll take a few strips from that and apply as you suggest. I used some birthday $ to purchase a Radian I've been flying while waiting, and have a Seawind that arrived today at the LHS! TY for birthday's and Visas w/ PTs!

I'm stoked to finally have a full summer w/ a full hanger of different planes and flying styles to choose from!

I'll probably stick to my standard AR6000s for this lil guy, but may go w/ a full range 5000. I'll be using a TP 1800 30C pack, and was wondering what kind of flight times and speed should I expect. These packs are amazingly light, small, and really deliver the oomph too.

FREEBIRD
06-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Bfaulguy

I am waiting on parts for a Super Stryker I'll be glassing as soon as I get my lights in from Taiwan. I'll take a few strips from that and apply as you suggest. I used some birthday $ to purchase a Radian I've been flying while waiting, and have a Seawind that arrived today at the LHS! TY for birthday's and Visas w/ PTs!

I'm stoked to finally have a full summer w/ a full hanger of different planes and flying styles to choose from!

I'll probably stick to my standard AR6000s for this lil guy, but may go w/ a full range 5000. I'll be using a TP 1800 30C pack, and was wondering what kind of flight times and speed should I expect. These packs are amazingly light, small, and really deliver the oomph too.

I run TP 2200 mah 30 C packs and it moves along quite well, makes for a little higher wing loading than the recommended 1200-1300 mah packs. I would say it's as quick as a Parkzone P51 brushless version.

DragonWeezel
06-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I may pick up a 2200 if the flight times are not enough. I think I'll do O.K. though. I'm digging these TP batteries. Super light compared to anything else in it's Mah class, and 30C to boot!

Cresco
09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
HELP! Has anyone got any ideas on keeping the ESC cool on this bird. Will it help if I use a larger one,I am using a 25amp and it still gets hot??

Fly Time
09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
HELP! Has anyone got any ideas on keeping the ESC cool on this bird. Will it help if I use a larger one,I am using a 25amp and it still gets hot??
Normally I would say to find a way to increase airflow over the ESC, but in this case you probably don't want to open up any holes to the outside. Where air can enter, so can water!

Do you know how many amps you are drawing? If you are at or near 25 amps (which would surprise me with this plane), then a larger ESC may be in order. It could be that you have a bad unit, in which case you might just try a replacement. Direct from HK you can get one for $10 or $15 delivered. This (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6460&Product_Name=Hobbyking_SS_Series_25-30A_ESC) is the one I have in my Seawind and it works great (it may actually just be the 18-20 amp version - can't recall).

Cresco
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks Fly Time,
Avery quick reply, actually the question was not mine but a club member who has not got a computer. Thanks for the prompt reply I will pass on the information and ask him what he is drawing in terms of Amps. We have a club meeting tonight Our club is based in Hamilton New Zealand and fly all types of aircraft. Tonights meeting is a report with videos by a couple of guys who went to Oshgosh, for one of the it is thie third or fourth time.
You may have heard of Fraser Briggs who is one of our members.
Regards Mike (Cresco)

Cresco
09-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Fly Time Hi!
Just been on the phone to Tom my friend with the problem and he says he is only drawing 13Amps. We now think it could have been caused by contact with water, or the ESC was a faulty one. He has got another ESC fitted and will try it again when the weather clears

Fly Time
09-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Fly Time Hi!
Just been on the phone to Tom my friend with the problem and he says he is only drawing 13Amps. We now think it could have been caused by contact with water, or the ESC was a faulty one. He has got another ESC fitted and will try it again when the weather clears
Yep, 13 amps sounds about right. You should not have any heat issues with 13 amps through a healthy 25 amp ESC.

If you can get CorrosionX (http://www.coastalcorrosionx.com/CorrosionX-16oz-Trigger-spray-91002.htm) down there in NZ, just soak the ESC in it real good before installing it and it should be 100% waterproof :cool:

Cresco
09-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi! Fly time, we do not seem to have the Corrosion X here in New Zealand Just had a thought so will try the electrician we had at Pacific Aerospace when I was there, he may know what we used there because I have no recollection. By the way Tom sends his regards and told me to thank you from him for you help.
I will let you know what I find out.

Cheers Mike.

DragonWeezel
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
The first few times I tried flying it, it crashed into the water, or got tipped upside down, or was too touchy. I finally got it nailed down so I've been flying the piss out of this little bugger over the last week. I really like the performance of this small plane. It feels great in the air. Take off and landing is a breeze on anything from a large puddle to wet grass. I get about 20 minutes worth of high throttle flying and touch and goes on water w/ a TP 1800 30c pack.

Then, a small issue cropped up. When I took it out to show a friend, (why is it s*$4 happens when you are trying to show off?) the motor got stuck, and required a few max throttle blips, and then it started again. The motor feels like it's spinning free when touched by hand. I don't know why I risked flying it, but it took off and flew just fine, but would require a blip if I returned throttle to zero.

Did my motor get wet on one of my rougher landings? Did flying in the rain screw something up? or was my esc not fully encased in caulk and some moisture got in there?

Any ideas on what may be causing my issues? I used some caulk in the esc, anda bag and silicon on my rx. The other channels are working fine so I don't think it's the rx.

Fly Time
09-15-2010, 12:47 AM
The first few times I tried flying it, it crashed into the water, or got tipped upside down, or was too touchy. I finally got it nailed down so I've been flying the piss out of this little bugger over the last week. I really like the performance of this small plane. It feels great in the air. Take off and landing is a breeze on anything from a large puddle to wet grass. I get about 20 minutes worth of high throttle flying and touch and goes on water w/ a TP 1800 30c pack.

Then, a small issue cropped up. When I took it out to show a friend, (why is it s*$4 happens when you are trying to show off?) the motor got stuck, and required a few max throttle blips, and then it started again. The motor feels like it's spinning free when touched by hand. I don't know why I risked flying it, but it took off and flew just fine, but would require a blip if I returned throttle to zero.

Did my motor get wet on one of my rougher landings? Did flying in the rain screw something up? or was my esc not fully encased in caulk and some moisture got in there?

Any ideas on what may be causing my issues? I used some caulk in the esc, anda bag and silicon on my rx. The other channels are working fine so I don't think it's the rx.
It's possible that you accidentally reset the programming on your ESC. The timing may be set wrong or the throttle needs re-calibrating. Depending on what ESC you have, you may be able to fix it just by going into programming mode. It helps to know what you are doing here by way of the instruction manual, but I have managed to fix similar problems in the field by trial and error.

If you don't have a manual, try this: Before hooking up the battery, move the throttle stick for your Tx to full open. When you power it up, you will hear a series of beeps (1 beep followed by a pause, then 2 beeps followed by a pause, then 3...and back again to 1 beep). After the 3 beep sequence, pull the throttle to closed. This will calibrate the throttle and on most ESC's set the brake to off. If you prefer the prop to not spin (brake on or partially on), try pulling the throttle closed after the 1 beep sequence or the 2 beep sequence (personally, I prefer the brake off).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

DragonWeezel
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I did accidentally get into programming mode once that day now that I think about it.

I'll see what if I effed something up and get back to ya.

Fly Time
07-13-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, my Seawind has reached its expiration date :(

I was flying it a couple weeks ago for the first time in 7 or 8 months. Not 30 seconds into my flight, I pulled up into a big fast loop, and the wings folded and pulled free of the fuselage. The fuselage continued upwards for another 20 feet before arcing toward earth, smashing nose first into a dusty baseball infield. As crashes go, this one was very impressive! :cool:

Although it is probably repairable, I think I will salvage the motor and electronics, which all survived, for my next project.

For all of you still flying yours, beware that the wing spars on the top and bottom of the wing are actually two-piece hollow fiberglass tubes joined in the middle by a thin steel rod, apparently with no glue (or maybe just a small amount) holding it in place. The wing is two-pieces of foam as well, joining in the middle at the same place the spars are joined. Before the crash, it looked like the spars are one solid piece, which would have been very tough to break.

One of the tubes on the bottom of my wing split open and the joining rod popped out. From there there was really nothing holding the two halves of the wing together :eek:

The tubes must have become brittle over time, because I did not do anything on that flight that I haven't done many times before.

Fly Time
07-14-2011, 12:37 AM
It's official, the Seawind will not be rebuilt. The parts are going here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=18944

Time for a new build thread :D

DragonWeezel
07-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks, I've taped up the seam on the wings!

jap71173
07-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Just did the Maiden... bad take off and landing... i was too nervous and forgot to hold full up elevator for the take off... then saw i was running out of landing space so did a panic plung! Plane survived although it had a defective esc even before the maiden as the motor wouldn't bind till i gave it full throttle and it would pulse sometime... should have flown it that way but did... paid for it on the 2nd take off when the motor cut and plane crashed... had to swim for it!

Swaped esc with a spare 30amp i had and plane flies great again! I have read in quite a few threads that this very same 25 amp stock esc in the EP-RR version is having alot of trouble... anyone else????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4tvqE6poyU

CHELLIE
07-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice flight :ws: Your take off and Landing was ok, its in one piece right ;-) I bet that not even a 2x4 could wipe that Silly Smile off your face :D LOL, soak you ESC in Corrosion x for a Few days in a jar to Water proof it, and you should be ok and not have to worry about ruining your ESC, You were having way to much fun, Shame on you :Q Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.coastalcorrosionx.com/

http://www.coastalcorrosionx.com/images/1282716714055424369007.gif (http://www.coastalcorrosionx.com/CorrosionX-16-oz-aerosol-90102.htm)

CHELLIE
07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Larry3215 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291)
Look out for that tree!!!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/customavatars/avatar6291_1.gif (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291)

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/images/photo1.png (http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=6291&cat=500)63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS

Awards Showcase (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291#award)
http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/data/506/4ksmall.png (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291#aw_issue308) http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/medals/2kwicon.jpg (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291#aw_issue235) http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/medals/kw.jpg (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291#aw_issue234) http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/medals/100icon.gif (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291#aw_issue163)
iTrader: (6 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/itrader.php?u=6291))
Friends: (19 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6291))
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif
I dont know if Id give up on the stuff just yet.

I had some problems even with CorrosionX when I applied it the way you did. You would think that shooting it in the ends like that is good enough to cover the entire board but it often isnt.

Try pooring enough of that stuff into a small container to completely dunk the controller and work it for a while to be sure all the air bubbles are out.

I put mine in one way then turn them upside down and then sideways both ways then lay them flat both ways then take them out and put them back in the opposite way etc etc. I really give the stuff a chance to get into and under and around every possible nook and cranny and chip on the board. The oil needs time to soak into small spaces.

Remember, water is thinner than the corrosion block so it can penetrate into smaller spaces easier than the oil can. You need to work at it a bit and give it some time.

Of course, it still may not work as well as CorrosionX but I think you need to give it a better chance.

crash-rc (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=24230)

Club: tcrcm

iTrader: (0 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/itrader.php?u=24230))
Friends: (0 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=24230))
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif
I agree with Larry on this one, I used the spray can of Corrosion X and the spray tube and sprayed the ESC really well from both ends. I Fried 3 ESC's doing it that way. I have since sprayed the can into a mayo jar and now soak ESC's and receivers for about 3 days turning and swishing the jar around when I think about it. Haven't fried and ESC since I started doing it this way. I am still going to order a can of Corrosion Block next week just to try it out and I will use the soak method

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52065&highlight=corrosion

DragonWeezel
07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Definately fly w/ a waterproofed esc, I just fill mine w/ a little hot glue, but it adds more weight.

jap71173
07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Nice flight :ws: Your take off and Landing was ok, its in one piece right ;-) I bet that not even a 2x4 could wipe that Silly Smile off your face :D LOL, soak you ESC in Corrosion x for a Few days in a jar to Water proof it, and you should be ok and not have to worry about ruining your ESC, You were having way to much fun, Shame on you :Q Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.coastalcorrosionx.com/

Thx, my father in law just so happened to have some on his boat! Anyway... here is my most recent flight... its an awesome plane!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpUnPMcKE70