PDA

View Full Version : Triton charger

Doppelganger
11-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Can a Triton charge a 4000 mah 3s2p lipo battery?
Thanks in advance.

Steve

mclarenhpi
11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
The triton charger can charge up to a 4 cell lithium polymer battery however it can only charge at a max rate of 2.5 amps and discharge at 2.5amps:mad:.
Sam

GeraldRosebery
11-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Can a Triton charge a 4000 mah 3s2p lipo battery?
Thanks in advance.

Steve

The Triton max time can be set. The 2.5 amp rate would give you about a 2-2.5 hours charge time. There are better chargers for this purpose.

Doppelganger
11-08-2005, 03:59 AM
Yes, I know there are better chargers. I'll just have to keep buying small packs, or get an Astroflight 109. Thanks for the replies.:)

Steve

Rugar
11-08-2005, 04:47 AM
I have one E-flite charger, one Triton, and two 109's. All I mostly use now are the 109's.

Doppelganger
11-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Yup, I've used the 109 in the past. And with the exception of the charger mis-detecting the cell count from time to time, it's a great charger.

Steve

d_wheel
11-08-2005, 03:51 PM
"mis-detecting the cell count"

Doppelganger,

What were the circumstances when this occured? Cell count; cell capacity; voltage at beginning of charge; age of pack; if amps knob was not turned to 0 when pack was connected?

I have heard about this a few times, but have had 2 109's since they first came out and have never had it happen to me. Just trying to figure out why some people are having trouble and others are not.

Later;

D.W.

wingman
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Has anyone else had any experience with the Duratrax Intellipeak ICE DC Battery Charger? I have one and so far I have not had any problems.

larrypaul
11-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Can someone explain, how the triton lipo charger, can charge series parellel batteries, or do I have to charge individualy, charger does not seem to be orientated for these tyoes of cells,or am I wrong

hoppy
11-08-2005, 09:31 PM
The charger doesn't know if 1 cell, 2 cells or ? cells are connected in parallel. It only knows to keep pumping electrons into the pack until a voltage of 4.2V/cell (in series) is obtained. In other words, the charger is set for the "s" setting and a 1C charge rate, the rest is automatic. A 3s1000mah and a 3s4p4000mah pack would both be set for 11.1V. So, case #1 would be 11.1V and 1A, case #2 would be 11.1V and 4A.

larrypaul
11-09-2005, 05:49 AM
Thank you hoppy
So you are telling me that I can safely charge all kinds of pack cofigutations with the TRITON CHARGER and it will still stay in an auto mode, and the charger will auto cut off....?

Shadrack
11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
To be really safe, I suggest you use TP batteries and get the TP balancer. I use this combo with my Triton and with my Electrifli 4-1 charger and have no problems, and my batteries stay balanced too.

larrypaul
11-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Right, checking on thunder power, batts and balancer, don,t have a clue as to how the balancer works as yet

Shadrack
11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
The instructions are kind of horrible, but it is actually pretty easy. You can plug it into the extra connector on your battery without the charger hooked up and it will tell you if the cells are in balance. If they aren't, you can hook your charger up to the other battery lead (the one you usually use) and start charging. The balancer will keep things in balance and also warn you if a cell is overchargine.

hoppy
11-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Thank you hoppy
So you are telling me that I can safely charge all kinds of pack cofigutations with the TRITON CHARGER and it will still stay in an auto mode, and the charger will auto cut off....?

I just use the "Select Battery Type" to select the battery..... for instance, select NiMH, set current level, and push start. Battery automatically charges and shuts off when done. For Lipo's, select lipo, set battery voltage (to match # of cells in series), set current, hit start and it charges and automatically stops when done.

The charger remembers the last settings used. There is a memory function but it is too easy to use it manually to bother with it.

So yes, it will charge all types automatically after you make a few selections for type, current, and voltage in some cases.

I would advise putting a fuse in the output + charge lead with a value a little bit higher than the maximum charge current yu plan on using. They will self destruct if you short the output leads while they have power on them.