PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick Props

Armound
11-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Referance to Slow Stick Prop EP 1060.. What other manufacture is a good
Reliable Prop? Besides GWS Props. Thanks :)

flyranger
11-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I use e-flite black props. Currently running a 9x6 on my hopped-up brushless slow stick.

Armound
11-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks flyranger for the input, will check e=flite page.
Armound:)

Twmaster
11-08-2005, 12:44 AM
APC props, both the E (electric) and SF (Slow Fly) are good props. You may need to get an adapter to use them on a GWS gear drive. (GWS sells them separately)

I'm just curious. Why don't you want to use the GWS props? Is it the funky orange color? ;)

Armound
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Hello Mike, maybe there was prop that works better than GWS props that other pilots found to be better. Th Color Orange for the prop is no problem, I like it. And maybe balancing other manufature props may turn out easier. Thanks for the reply.:)

qban_flyer
11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Hello Mike, maybe there was prop that works better than GWS props that other pilots found to be better. Th Color Orange for the prop is no problem, I like it. And maybe balancing other manufature props may turn out easier. Thanks for the reply.:)

Twmaster has it right.

The other props are more expensive and won't be that much better, besides they break just as easy. Why pay $3+ for a prop you can get from GWS for $1.79?:)

Armound
11-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Hello qban_flyer, Excellant suggestion. Your correct on the $$, Being Retired ya got to watch the $$. Glad you came in on this thread. Thank Guys.:) :)

See ya Around the Campus, Life is Nothing than School Yard of Learning..:)

Electrothump
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't know guys, I've found the orange GWS to be pretty brittle. I think a couple extra bucks for a better one is in order. As for inexpensive props, I like the APC a little better. Of course, if you land hard and the prop doesn't break,, you may bend a shaft. Prop savers do a pretty good job. Just a thought.

Dave

Armound
11-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Good Thought Dave. Thanks.:)

qban_flyer
11-09-2005, 12:16 AM
I don't know guys, I've found the orange GWS to be pretty brittle. I think a couple extra bucks for a better one is in order. As for inexpensive props, I like the APC a little better. Of course, if you land hard and the prop doesn't break,, you may bend a shaft. Prop savers do a pretty good job. Just a thought.

Dave

I've been using GWS and APC propellers since they first became available. I have yet to have a GWS break because of brittleness, they, just as the APC SF series are very thin and fragile and will brak on hard landings, especially of the plane's landing gear is flimsy.

I see no reason to pay 50% to 70% more for something marginally better. BTW, GWS props come in black and gray also, not just that loud fluorescent orange color.

I do agree with your prop saver usage idea, however. I have them on all my 3D foamies.

Electrothump
11-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Gotta love foamies! qban_flyer, I guess you've either been lucky with the orange props, or I've either been unlucky, or I've been coming in with the nose down. And, with most landings, I nose over. That's why I can say the orange GWS ones are more apt to break than the black APC. I've broken plenty of all colors. Even the three blade oranges ones won't take as much strain. I'm not slamming the orange ones. Heck, I've bought bunches of them. With the orange ones being cheaper, it does allow you to buy different sizes, and experiment on trying to find that efficiency sweet spot without breaking the bank. The problem with the nose over is, the only place close to fly is in my neighbor's hay field. I don't care how slow I come in, or how much I flare it at the last minute, it always hits that stuff, and noses over. It's not much of a problem if the prop horizontal, but when it is vertical it takes a little hit. It's dang hard on shafts also. In my situation, a prop saver is a life saver. Now, something good about a hay field, , If it is spring or summer and the hay is high, and If you are new to flying, the hay is a great cushion. It's really nice when I get to fly where I can land on mowed grass, or blacktop.

Dave

qban_flyer
11-09-2005, 04:27 AM
Gotta love foamies! qban_flyer, I guess you've either been lucky with the orange props, or I've either been unlucky, or I've been coming in with the nose down. And, with most landings, I nose over. That's why I can say the orange GWS ones are more apt to break than the black APC. I've broken plenty of all colors. Even the three blade oranges ones won't take as much strain. I'm not slamming the orange ones. Heck, I've bought bunches of them. With the orange ones being cheaper, it does allow you to buy different sizes, and experiment on trying to find that efficiency sweet spot without breaking the bank. The problem with the nose over is, the only place close to fly is in my neighbor's hay field. I don't care how slow I come in, or how much I flare it at the last minute, it always hits that stuff, and noses over. It's not much of a problem if the prop horizontal, but when it is vertical it takes a little hit. It's dang hard on shafts also. In my situation, a prop saver is a life saver. Now, something good about a hay field, , If it is spring or summer and the hay is high, and If you are new to flying, the hay is a great cushion. It's really nice when I get to fly where I can land on mowed grass, or blacktop.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I try and keep the plane's nose away from paved surfaces, the wheels should be the ones seeking the pavement, not the nose. Every single prop I've seen break is when the darn planes (pilots more likely) are bent on taking a dive or hit an obstruction (read poles, walls, cars, uprights, etc.).:o

Now onto hay fields. Great cushions, aren't they? I've seen many a 'pilot' spend hours on end looking for their 'planes' when the hay is tall. But then, what the hay?:D

All kidding aside now.

Have you tried to land your plane on hay by stalling it one or two inches above it? Just like some 3D foamy pilots do in order to save their props? Just bring it in nice and slow under power, pull up the nose as high as you can once you are two inches above the hay then cut the power off. It will settle down (plop down is more likely) rather nicely.

I do that when flying near tall grass fields.

Electrothump
11-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi qban_flyer, I always try to come low, slow, and level, then try and flare it at the last second. But, the grass is really uneven this time of the year, and will be till spring, so each landing is gonna be different. Most landings, the landing gear hits the grass, and over she goes. When the hay is tall, I just slow it down, flare it, and it hits the hay high and there is no problem. It just hangs there, and doesn't even touch the ground. I strongly suggest flying in the hay fields when the hay is high for someone going for their first few flights. Man, it saved my buns when I first started. But, you just can't beat a smooth surface for normal landings. Touch and goes are completely out of the questions.

Dave

qban_flyer
11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi qban_flyer,
I strongly suggest flying in the hay fields when the hay is high for someone going for their first few flights. Man, it saved my buns when I first started.
Dave

No arguments from me here, especially if the pilot is a newbie without an instructor to help him/her out.:D

Electrothump
11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
No arguments from me here, especially if the pilot is a newbie without an instructor to help him/her out.:D

Yep, that's the way I started, no help from anyone. It would have been a lot easier having someone help me, but with the help of lots of glue and strapping tape, I struggled thru it. :-) Hobbyzone and Parkzone has some pretty easy to learn on planes. I guess the nose of my old striker is in at least fifteen pieces, but it still flies. The last time I repaired it, I must have gotten the thrust angle wrong. When the power is on, I have to use some up elevator. I can kill the power and it will glide fine without the up elevator. I haven't taken the time to mess with it for several months now. I've been flying a modified Yard Stik. I really enjoy slowflyers. You know, I'm not sure why they put such a poor power supply in the box with the YS. I first changed the motor and mount to a GWS 350 6.60.1, and 1250 lipo. I kept angle straight on the motor. Boy, what a difference! That down angle on the original mount was pretty much junk to me. I've now stuck a brushless E-Flite 400 inrunner on there. Lots more fun now. That puppy goes straight up, right out of your hands, and will still fly slow. Wonder how the modified YS would compare to a modified SS with the exact same mods? Have you heard of anyone trying to make a bipe out of either? Looks like that would be a real floater.

Dave

qban_flyer
11-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Yep, that's the way I started, no help from anyone. It would have been a lot easier having someone help me, but with the help of lots of glue and strapping tape, I struggled thru it. :-) Hobbyzone and Parkzone has some pretty easy to learn on planes. I guess the nose of my old striker is in at least fifteen pieces, but it still flies. The last time I repaired it, I must have gotten the thrust angle wrong. When the power is on, I have to use some up elevator. I can kill the power and it will glide fine without the up elevator. I haven't taken the time to mess with it for several months now. I've been flying a modified Yard Stik. I really enjoy slowflyers. You know, I'm not sure why they put such a poor power supply in the box with the YS. I first changed the motor and mount to a GWS 350 6.60.1, and 1250 lipo. I kept angle straight on the motor. Boy, what a difference! That down angle on the original mount was pretty much junk to me. I've now stuck a brushless E-Flite 400 inrunner on there. Lots more fun now. That puppy goes straight up, right out of your hands, and will still fly slow. Wonder how the modified YS would compare to a modified SS with the exact same mods? Have you heard of anyone trying to make a bipe out of either? Looks like that would be a real floater.

Dave

Same here. I had to go through nine models before I was able to bring it back home in one piece. :eek:

The Y/S is rather fragile and grossly underpowered. Pretty good looking thing though. :p

I have an extra wing for a Y/S and been thinking of making a cabane to mount it about five or so inches above the original one. :confused:

If I do, the photos and report will posted here. :D