PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible...

sikorsky
11-08-2005, 12:02 AM
to use a cellphone Li Ion cell for flying a foamie?
I have two cellphone-packs (for Nokia) with 750mA and want to use them for a small foamflyer. Motor is a brushless outrunner with normal 6-10A, up to 14A. And how can I connect these 2 packs?
Will this go, or not?

Red Scholefield
11-08-2005, 12:26 AM
to use a cellphone Li Ion cell for flying a foamie?
I have two cellphone-packs (for Nokia) with 750mA and want to use them for a small foamflyer. Motor is a brushless outrunner with normal 6-10A, up to 14A. And how can I connect these 2 packs?
Will this go, or not?

I really don't want to sound like a smart ass, but If you have to ask how to do this you probably should not be doing it.

Playing with lithium packs without a good understanding is hazardous to say the least.

sikorsky
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
@Red Scholefield,

I know, how dangerous LiPos can be! And LiPos are very new to me.
Cause I don't know another modelbuilder in my area (they are all flying stinky motors in big models), who can give me a correct help. So I've tried it here in the forum!
But I have these two packs here.
When I have a look at the silver, plasticbagged, cells at our modelshop, they are looking more dangerous for me. The above mentioned packs are in a hardplastik, and not open. That looks sure against crash.
But if I am wrong, please tell it.

ragbag
11-08-2005, 11:45 AM
If you have followed the forums, then you are aware of the "C" ratings that are mentioned.
The cell phone packs and some other type lipos are not rated for the output to run the motors that we use.

The reason the packs we use are not hard cased is to keep the weight down.

As Red said, buyer beware. (Couldn't come up with a snappy remark):D

By George

Red Scholefield
11-08-2005, 01:29 PM
The cells in the hard plastic cases are the same we use with the same hazards.

sikorsky
11-08-2005, 06:37 PM
@ragbag

this is a better explaination for me. Cause cellphones have a low consume under 1C, the cells are not good for RC and BL-motors.

@Red Scholefield

I had a look at your site and found very good explainations! Thank you!!!

So I have to spend a little more money, to get the right stuff.
Our next model fair is in two weeks at the Lake Constance (Friedrichshafen) and there are much merchandisers.

watt_the?!
11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
i heard of a guy parallel-ing up something like 25 of these packs once as he managed to get hold of a ''trailer load'' that was headed for disposal.

not kidding...he posted pics of his setup and obviously knew what he was doing...made up some little rack and had each cell in there all wired and ready.

not sure what the benefit, if any, was over a larger pack though, other than the fact he didnt have to pay for them... (but wouldve spent ages wiring and soldering at risk).

im certainly not condoning this by any means BTW.

Vamooska
11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Kinda like putting a car battery in your backpack and wiring to a flashlight aint it?:D
Vammy