PDA

View Full Version : Heli trainer-consumers needed

theecoop
08-12-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm in the process of building an aluminum heli trainer. It will rotate 360 degrees. will allow approximate 3' -4' of flying height. should be able to use in any 6'-7' area. Advantages, Less broken parts,trainer should handle up to size 50 type heli's with ease. can be used indoors or outside. Low Profit margin on this will make it a steal.
Once I get final packaging cost I will post here.
Expected price range $60.00-$75.00usd

Would like to hear from those interested..to see if I'm just spinning blades;-)
David C.

xuzme720
08-12-2007, 04:55 AM
I actually wouldn't have to wait for the wife, but I would need to wait for my other "needed" items to be purchased, but to be honest it wouldn't be more than a week or 2. and even though I can fly, this would be ideal for initial setup in lieu of training gear.

theecoop
08-12-2007, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the comment, I do plan on giving one away to one of the forum members once production is complete. It will be in a drawing from names in a thread post which I will place names in a box and let my 4 year old grand daughter draw name from.

CHELLIE
08-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Theecoop :) I have seen other heli training stands, but none that could be used for a 400size heli to a 50 size heli, normally you would have to buy 2 training stands, one for the smaller helis and one for the larger helis, so, I think you have a winner, with a single training stand that will handle both 400 size and 50 size helis, take care, Chellie

dotyj
08-12-2007, 10:39 AM
I just spent $150 on my T-Rex 450S, $10 on my GWS Dragonfly II, and $20 on my Heli-Max Axe all because I was practicing last weekend.

I wouldn't mind having a product that can protect me from myself. Although I've lived long enough to become an adult, I don't seem capable of protecting myself from myself. :)

theecoop
08-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Well I got material cost in, now jst waiting on packaging and cnc work cost. Hoping to have a final price this week for everyone interested.

xuzme720
08-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Sweeet!!!

raccoonone
08-14-2007, 04:26 AM
I'd have to see how well it works. but it seems like it would change the fly characteristics of the helicopter.

theecoop
08-14-2007, 04:28 AM
It shouldn't for the reason of the balance weight . inwhich will make the heli not realize it is attached.

xuzme720
08-14-2007, 04:41 AM
it actually might, due to the inertia of the arm, but for a training stand this will help some. it won't affect how it hovers though for the most part, though.

CHELLIE
08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
I have a century swift 30 size heli, and that stand would help me to get it set up right the first time, and save a possible crash, If you could only make the stand to where I could practice inverted flying, that would be Awesome :silly: ok just kidding on the inverted flying, Take care, Chellie

xuzme720
08-18-2007, 12:52 AM
any progress, Coop?

theecoop
08-18-2007, 03:27 AM
waiting on first shipment of materials ordered
:sad:

deiricm
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
waiting on first shipment of materials ordered
:sad:

Did you ever produce those stands?

Deiric

theecoop
04-23-2008, 02:11 AM
No ,I had to help some family members out So wasnt able to afford the machine work to get done yet

neilg.
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
HOW MUCH:

then i can fly my blade 400 with not getting any boo

theecoop
04-23-2008, 09:58 PM
I dont know yet ontill the machine shop gives me price on the parts needed to make it work proper.

Just tring to find out interest. and cost to see if it would be of benfit to me and the consumer to make and sell at a great price...
I haven't givin up hope on completing yet !
trying to keep price below 50.00 + or _ shipping not able to set it in stone yet

neilg.
04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
after i saw your design, i went googling. the cheapest ones i saw were about in the $75 range. some were made of pvc. i did see a hovering stand which looked okay but it did not allow for front to back movements. unless you put it on wheels, which might be sort of dangerous.

good luck

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dpem.tuc.gr/robolab/ASSETS/IMAGES/EQUIPMENT/HELI/BASH_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dpem.tuc.gr/robolab/ENPAGES/EN_EQUIPMENT/EN_HELI.htm&h=267&w=400&sz=55&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=gK50O8Lb2IXvyM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Delectric%2Bheli%2Btraining%2Bstand%26 gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

there's a few videos with this.

theecoop
04-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Well I got machine shop to start figuring out cost on the parts... So will keep everyone updated

theecoop
05-13-2008, 01:44 AM
the machine shop has all but one part done ,should have by tommorrow ,then I will get the other parts made that I can do and will try to have assembled for testing by this weekend. will keep you all posted with photos if any success.

helisafeproducts
05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
[quote=neilg.;398081]after i saw your design, i went googling. the cheapest ones i saw were about in the $75 range. some were made of pvc. i did see a hovering stand which looked okay but it did not allow for front to back movements. unless you put it on wheels, which might be sort of dangerous.

Hi there,

Have a look at this site for more information on heli stands. You have several options on equipment choice.

www.helisafeproducts.com (http://www.helisafeproducts.com)

Hope it helps you.

David

theecoop
05-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Well I Seen Your Link And Have Modified From This To A Concept Which I Believe Is Better And Different From The One On That Site. Thanks For The Info

Formap
05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm definitely in on it. When's do you propose a release date?

Angler-Hi
09-03-2008, 09:12 PM
So do did you ever get any made friend? I could really use all the help I can get:p>. Thanks.

Mike

Gofer303
09-04-2008, 01:07 AM
I have built one like Don Herbert has shown off on You Tube and have had very limited success it seems too jerky and does not allow free movement through all the ranges of flight....better then a sim but then you can get a feel for how your heli will react to controls. Think you got a winner there.

theecoop
09-04-2008, 02:50 AM
i got the parts from the machine shop ,just need to get tubing now, But i have been down for about 6 weeks from pinched nerve in back ,,,but now finding that i may have other things going on ,so not sure if i will be able to complete for a bit
sorry . I wanted this to take off to help everyone out with a cheap trainer.. I will finish it as soon as I am able though....you can beat that watts fliers will get great deal on one.

Angler-Hi
09-04-2008, 02:58 AM
No worries friend. I hope you feel better soon. I'll just get one when you get them finished, no rush. Thanks for everything Coop.

Mike

Formap
09-04-2008, 04:40 AM
I had bought one of the indoor/outdoor type heli stands. ($79.95 at www.helisafeproducts.com (http://www.helisafeproducts.com). I believe this is where I purchased it from.). It appears to be pretty well made but I don't think the small heli stand that I bought is "really" for outdoor use. I hammered the large nail supplied into the grass, but after a few turns, the nail started coming loose.

It was very hard to control the helicopter (mostly because of my limited use of and control of the helicopter (Trex 450)). Also the diameter of the circle made by the helicopter was rather snall so it would start going around the stand wildly out of control. I never could get anywhere near a hover using the stand.

I'm not really thrilled with the limited flyiing ability I got out of the unit. I mostly use the set-up now as a model stand for building and testing.

Maybe the large version (for strictly outdoors or a VERY large indoor room) would give the operator more time to react and control the helicopter. It might give the pilot some time to test fly the helicopter without it going in wild circles. I'm sure the main cause of my problems with the stand was the lack of skill I have in flying helicopters. But then again, how can I improve my skills if I can't stop the helicopter from going around in circles on the stand?

I'm not trying to be critical of the stand or the manufacturers, this is just my observations. Others heli pilots may have much better results. :sad:

theecoop
09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Here is a simple heli trainer that may be made from simple hardware store items for less the 25.00

The 1/8 in aluminum rod 3 ft long should allow flexing .
Just a concept

helisafeproducts
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I had bought one of the indoor/outdoor type heli stands. ($79.95 at www.helisafeproducts.com (http://www.helisafeproducts.com). I believe this is where I purchased it from.). It appears to be pretty well made but I don't think the small heli stand that I bought is "really" for outdoor use. I hammered the large nail supplied into the grass, but after a few turns, the nail started coming loose.

It was very hard to control the helicopter (mostly because of my limited use of and control of the helicopter (Trex 450)). Also the diameter of the circle made by the helicopter was rather snall so it would start going around the stand wildly out of control. I never could get anywhere near a hover using the stand.

I'm not really thrilled with the limited flyiing ability I got out of the unit. I mostly use the set-up now as a model stand for building and testing.

Maybe the large version (for strictly outdoors or a VERY large indoor room) would give the operator more time to react and control the helicopter. It might give the pilot some time to test fly the helicopter without it going in wild circles. I'm sure the main cause of my problems with the stand was the lack of skill I have in flying helicopters. But then again, how can I improve my skills if I can't stop the helicopter from going around in circles on the stand?

I'm not trying to be critical of the stand or the manufacturers, this is just my observations. Others heli pilots may have much better results. :sad:

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you were having trouble with our stand. I personally have used the stands and they work great and as advertised.

The problems you mention are caused by set up and control, or lack of.

The stand can be ground mounted using the 12" stake. If this does not hold the stand in place (test hold before flying heli) then the ground is not firm enough and the soil is too loose. You could mount the stand on a plywood sheet as suggested in the instructions to hold the unit in place, indoors or out. I included a photo for your reference.

If the heli races around in circles out of control then there is too much power used and the controls need major adjusting. The heli should stand/hover nearly stationary if the transmitter controls are left in neutral. Out of control heli means out of adjustment controls, and the stand does not correct for bad control settings. In fact, this shows that the stand was doing its job....holding an out-of-control heli from being a flying away and who knows what.

The larger stand would not solve the problem as it is the heli control settings that need adjustment.

Only last week we had a similar situation, and advised the operator to reduce power and servo control throw movements, and this solved the problem of poor control due to over control.

We do offer free technical services with the purchase of the stand, and are only an email away.

Hope this helps to explain what you experienced, and please email any questions.

David Howard, Sales
Heli-Safe Products, Inc
www.helisafeproducts.com (http://www.helisafeproducts.com)

theecoop
09-12-2008, 02:32 AM
I finally got the first one built,Will test it to see if any modifications need made .....if everything is ok I will take some photo's and a video of it in action....Then we will see if we can sell some cheap enough to help beginners out.

Asperamanca
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, sounds cool!

I'm a complete newbie to the hobby (first real heli hopefully shipping this week), but I also had a similar idea as you describe.

Not being much of a tinker, I didn't think I could do it myself, though. So I'd be happy to buy one!