PDA

View Full Version : Electric helicopter that can lift 500g (1.1lb)?

rickd
08-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi,

Is 500g (1.1lb) too much to expect any electric heli to be able to lift? (weight of my camera). I'm new here, so sorry if that is a stupid question.

Could someone point me at the right heli to be looking at if this is possible?

Thanks.

p901
08-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Good morning Rick,

Saw your post and it occured to me that the set of floats I made for
my helicopter weighed the same amount as the weight in your inquiry.
If you have a moment you may wish to take a look at my machine in the post titled "Hirobo Conversion".
Sometimes I fly the machine without the canopy (274g) and the floats (494g) but use the skid gear, (180g) so roughly speaking if I take away the scale elements I come up with easy 500g of carrying capacity.
There is also a guy that converted a Hirobo Lama to electric but he went the other way, (heavy instead of light) and he flys his machine with parallel battery packs and all the scale pieces, I think he is running around 6.5 Kilos total weight so I think you can see that a ".30" sized machine has the capability of taking this payload.
I get solid ten minute flights and if I wanted to be more efficient as far as total weight and run a fully charged battery to its lowest limits I could probably get 12 minutes with my setup.
I have made modifications away from the stock Hirobo setup, blade length, direct drive no clutch, (saves weight) and shaving weight off the frame, slightly increased coning, lower headspeed, etc. to prolong flight time and favor the scale aspect. Some of the machines I studied during the conversion process were the Mikado Logo10, 14, and 16 as far as weight, setup and performance.
I think one of the Mikado with the right setup would also do the job for you with less work than trying to do a conversion like mine.
Hope this helps, andrew

Kai_Shiden
08-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi rickd, welcome to wattflyer :)

Lifting a little over a pound is easy, in fact I flew around my 1meter diameter rotor LAheli Sniper with my Canon S3IS camera on it (and even floats as well, that brought it up by over 1.5lbs). There are much cheaper options than the Sniper for doing what you want (Century Swift, Eco8, Eco8 Royal, etc).

Here's my thread on my aerial video testing with my Sniper: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20182

Here's a thread with air-to-air video: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22336

Here's a thread with air-to-hydro video (the reason for the floats): http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20680

And, here's how I fly it without the camera (and why it's expensive): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723995

Probably the cheapest heli to get in the air with would be an Eco8 (which comes with flat bottom wood blades, so makes a ton of lift, in fact I was running Eco8 blades on my Sniper in the hydro racing vids). However, an Eco8 would become a money pit if you start down the upgrade path (it's cheaper to buy another Eco8 kit than to buy spares). Next cheapest in line would be a Swift (and inexpensive parts to keep it in the air as well as inexpensive upgrades, however it would require a good bit more battery pack cost to fly as it's not as lite).

-Kai

dotyj
08-13-2007, 05:09 PM
That's a cool copter.

pyaresquared
10-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Jokers and Maxi Jokers will lift well over 1 lb. I have an approximately 1 lb Canon A640 on my Joker with a camera mount, for a total of maybe 1.5 lb. I fly a Canon Rebel XTi on my Maxi Joker. I estimate that the Rebel and mount on the Maxi Joker weigh about 2.5 or 3 lbs.

pfatz
02-04-2008, 03:13 AM
Check the Aerial photography section on this and other forums. Lots of folks are using Heli's to fly a great assortment of cameras both film & video. Somewhere i Saw some charts re: camera sizes and weights.

I have seen an article re: a pro photographer flying big cameras and a scale fuselage all at the same time. He was not into RC with other pilots & did not know a lot about any of it except his Heli.

EdH