PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Align 22.2v Lipo 4400

Crash9
08-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I just thought I would pass this on if it hasn't been already. I resently purchased 2 new Align 4400 lipos 1 last week and 1 on Saturday for my Trex 600. I discovered a problem when I went to balance my newest lipo for it's first charge and it only was 17v at start with some cells being below 2 volts. I went ahead and charge it at a slow rate recommend by my LHS when I called to report the problem. The battery charged to 25.2 (normal) but only lasted for a 1-1/2 minutes of flight. To shorten my story I discovered that Align has discontinued the 4400 due to problems and the 4200 is a re-labled Thunder Power pack and that's why it's $20 more for less mAhhttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif. Tomorrow I'm going to Align USA here in So Cal to exchange it for the TP pack. Not Happy that I spent over $400 on useless batterieshttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif.
Time I start looking into the A123 Li-ons or Airthunders.

Crash9
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Recap: I resently purchased the Align 4400 lipo 22.2v from Hobby Town. When I returned home to balance the new lipo it had only 17volts which is to low for a 22.2 battery. I called Hobby Town and returned the battery for there examination to make sure I didn't damage it on the drive home. They had concluded that the battery was in fact bad and did not hold a charge. They contacted Align and Frank told them that the consumer (me) needed to return the battery with proof of purchase and they would replace it with a Thunder Power 4200 lipo since the Align 4400 was now discontinued according to Frank at Align.
To keep this short I went to Align yesterday and got the big RUN AROUND. First they tested my battery and they determined it was bad also and then went to get me the new TP 4200 pack. Just as I was getting ready to leave a man came out from a office (Andy, Prez.) and said NO NO NO you have to return it to Hobby Town and they must return it to Horizon and then they will have to return it to us. I then left and called HT and they called ALIGN where ANDY TOLD HT THAT THEY WOULD REPLACE BATTERY IF I CAME BACK. Who ever is running that show there has no clue on what there doing....Beware

Sentertainment
08-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Haha...sorry, my bad...

anyways, I was laughing cuz I work at XXXXXXXX for the time being and I've discovered that many are too lazy or don't know and will often send people out to others just to avoid doing extra work (or to be cheap).

Just sit them down and tell them their the manufacturer, it's their product.
If bring them proof that it's new and you bought it from an authorized retailer, they need to process it themselves.

Crash9
08-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah I totally agree with you. I really think everyone involved were just trying to avoid the paper work and passed it all on to me and the only thing in my defence was I called Hobby Town as soon as I got home with the battery and discovered the problem other wise I think I would have been told to pound sand. I would think a big company like Align USA aka Assurance R/C would of been more then willing to help but I was wrong. Instead they wanted to charge me $50 more for the TP re-placment pack because the HT price tag showed $179.99 and the TP 4200 lipo at Align was list $229.99. I maybe wrong but I think that's illegal here in the States to force the consumer to upgrade to a higher priced item on a warrantyhttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif.

brnyrbbl
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I believe they would have to replace it with an equal or Greater value prduct or offer your money back. Forcing you to pay the difference is illegal as far as I can remember.

Crash9
08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah I complained when I got the new lipo today and I didn't have to pay the extra $50. Andy at Align said in his ramblings that Horizon owed Align alot of money and he was pissed off at them:sad:. So I quess he feels better on taking it out on the consumer :< and why he felt he needed to share this info with me I have no idea. Not the sharpest tool in the shed that guy:).

Sentertainment
08-16-2007, 10:03 PM
For a faulty product under warranty, 99% of the time it would be considered fraud or false advertising to charge extra for the replacement product.

Sometimes warranties state that you may have to pay for shipping fees, etc...but that's the most I've seen with any companies.

Sukhoiboy
08-19-2007, 05:13 AM
I have a new battery from them as well and it took a dump rather quickly. It was a gift with some other items, and I called Assurance the other day and got the run around. All I know is that I will NEVER purchase anything from them.

Sorry to hear about your exerience. That is poor customer service.

Crash9
08-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Well I just came back from flying my 600 and the other 4400 swelled up!!! after 5 minutes. I've been over to RCG and they all say the 4400 is no good and your lucky to get 20 cycles with them before there donehttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif.

Sukhoiboy
08-20-2007, 03:14 AM
That realy sux. This is honestly forcing more people to go nitro. Truly sad. These batteries are expensive from the get go, then they are very fragile. Not cool.

Dmac
08-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi All
FYI This was posted on the Aussie distributors site Yesterday

www.wattsuprc.com.au/index.asp

Did you know??

All the batteries used on T-rex 450, T-rex 600 and T-rex 600N BEC are Lipo batteries which need to be taken more care of compared to other types of batteries.

For Lipo batteries, you should not just pay attention on over-charge, over-discharge and also on the battery storage environment.

According to the testing, we found the higher discharge rate the battery has, the shorter durableness of the storage of the battery is.

Generally speaking, to avoid the swollen, you should discharge the battery in 6 hours after the battery is charged. Both JK and Allan mentioned that they charge their batteries one to two hours before they fly their T-rex 600 and they only charge the batteries they need to fly the heli every time.

For all Lipos, many flyers charge them once they get back home after flying and leave the batteries for 2 to 5 days, and they found the batteries start to swell.

Did your battery get swollen due to this reason??

Crash9
08-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the link. I was reading the Blade Recall on the CFs and noticed I have a set of the ser #FGO7 new in the box. Looks like I have something else from Align to return.
I was over at RCG and found a that others are getting the same run-around when it comes to the problems with the 4400 lipos. I have 42 lipos and treat them with gentle care and never had a problem until I purchased the Align 4400. Seems Align is sticking it to the consumer.

Bill G
08-26-2007, 03:09 PM
All things considered, I'm going to start going cheapie on my lipos:D. Its not that my TPs, PQs, and others have been bad, but that when batts charge top dollar prices, they need full replacement easy warranty. I've heard enough nonsense that most are so #%$&!!:Q cheap that they won't replace a thing.

I've heard good things about the discount DN Power, and a few other brands, that supposedly really do 15 to 20C. The prices are low enough, that if you do get the occasional bad one, you can live with it. I'm not a warranty fan to begin with. I either expect perfect initial quality from top brands, or I'd just as soon pay less and deal with an occasional beating. As far as I know, other than maybe high end transmitters, NO, and I mean NO hobby company does real final test. Sure, they may hook up a batt and see correct terminal voltage, but no load test. We know this, since lipos are manufactured at partial charge. For what you pay for the "good" brands, I would expect that they would charge, load test, and then partially discharge for shipping, to verify the batts. They don't.
Same goes with ESCs. Sure, they may hook them up to a tiny 12mm inrunner:Q with no load and see it spin and say, "Ship it, its a goodie", but that doesn't verify crap. We deal with an industry that has basically zero final test and zero QC. That's why any brand, high end to low end, has good batches and bad batches.

Bill

platinumjason
11-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Its almost getting to the point where you are better off buying cheapie lipos. For the money if you only get half of the cycles out of them but you are only paying a fraction of the price. This way when your lipo craps out after 20-30 cycles you arent out $200+ for something that has a bad reputation anyway.

I just picked up a T-Rex 450 today and am going to start off running either Apogee 3S 2200 or The United Hobby lipos.

Bill G
11-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Its almost getting to the point where you are better off buying cheapie lipos. For the money if you only get half of the cycles out of them but you are only paying a fraction of the price. This way when your lipo craps out after 20-30 cycles you arent out $200+ for something that has a bad reputation anyway.

I just picked up a T-Rex 450 today and am going to start off running either Apogee 3S 2200 or The United Hobby lipos.
Its at the point where you are better off buying cheapie everything.:D
The brand names have a substantial markup, and a playing the advertising game. I've found a number of things at 1/4th the cost, that I'm convinced are basically the same thing as the high priced brand name products. They are all paying almost nothing to buy the stuff from China, so there is a lot of flexibility in pricing.

garlonbs
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I had 11 of the Gen 1 lipos go bad from mfg problems and UH replaced them without requiring me to return the originals. The Gen 2's are running my Trex and assorted ESky heli's with absolutly no complaints. At $29.50 or so per they are the best investment I've made in RC. Thunder Power told me to go fish when I tried to get them to replace 3 of their 2100's last year that swelled up after 10 flights or so.

jb48
12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I agree with you all. I no longer buy «Hi-Quality Top Brands» at twice or 3 time the price of perfectly running so called cheap lipos and motors, which often are Top Brands in disguise or clones better made (sometime) than originals.

Curtis
01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Working in the media, I can tell you that 'quality' products are usually anything but. The bad Align lipo's were probably made on some assembly line in China with no QC whatsoever, and with impurities in the manufacturing process that caused the issues int he first place.

Often times it is the name on the sticker placed on the product that determines the price - not the quality of the product at all. That's why they spend all the money on advertising instead of a quality product in the first place.