PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Contest?!?

Water Boy
08-18-2007, 02:54 AM
I was not around here last Halloween so forgive me if this a normal thing. But I was thinking of a Halloween contest where members paint or cover their plane with a Halloween theme. Then the rest of the Wattflyer Community can vote on the winners. Few stipulations being...
1. Must be painted or some other medium, you can't just print something from your computer and paste it on.

2. Plane must fly, this way at least your not just taking a foam glider and painting it.

3. One entry per person (of course)

I'm sure many of you guys would like to do this. Maybe we can get the mods involved to make this thing legit and see what we can do for prizes. Heres another thought, we can have a couple different awards...

Best Foamie

Best Balsa

WF com. choice

And maybe some members can get together and donate something be it money or items and then they pic a winner for their prize. I would even do this and maybe donate say $50 towards a Gift Certficate from a sponser or other company.

Anyways please leave your comment/thoughts when voting. Thanks

Water Boy
08-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh come on guys. If your gonna vote "No" you could at least say why. This way we may be able to come up with something.

Mike Parsons
08-19-2007, 03:52 AM
I think the staff could get behind this. I feel pretty confident, we can sponsor the prize as well.

Maybe something with pumpkin carving as well with an RC flavor to it?

Water Boy
08-19-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback Mike. Let me know if theres anything I can do to help.

Biplane Murphy
08-19-2007, 04:20 AM
This would likely bring the builders out of the woodwork so to speak.:)

xuzme720
08-19-2007, 04:30 AM
how about this painted in flexstone(granite looking paint, if you were wondering) and R.I.P stenciled across the front?;-):Q

EpoweredRc
08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
how about this painted in flexstone(granite looking paint, if you were wondering) and R.I.P stenciled across the front?;-):Q
That would look cool. I love halloween and Not going to be able to do my haunted trail this year, so i need soemthing to do.

i think you should be able to make whatever plane you want. 3d,slow flyer, wing,delta whatever paint it halloween colors and put halloweenish things on it and post pics and a video of it flying. let the people on here vote for the one they like the best.
out of colors and how it flys.

maybe if the mods , do help then give one price for best painted plane ( painted taped or whatever) and one for best flying or someting like that...

xuzme720
08-26-2007, 01:45 AM
hmmm...is everybody busy building?:<

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 02:02 AM
hmmm...is everybody busy building?:<
I'm building but not anything Halloweenish.............YET! I figured more people would be on board with this, guess not.

xuzme720
08-26-2007, 02:08 AM
I am still building mine even if no one else is on board...after all, it's already cut out! I just have to get it put together and painted...

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Are WW1 Aircraft Scary enough?.....:roll:.........

actually I might have something soon to fit this catagory.....

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 03:32 AM
Are WW1 Aircraft Scary enough?.....:roll:.........

actually I might have something soon to fit this catagory.....
Yeah they are! Try to get one balanced right when keeping the short stubby nose and long tail. With out adding dead weight or extending the nose to compensate. I have a couple ideas maybe I'll start drawing some stuff up and make a test glider to get the CG all fingered (not mispelled) out.

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 03:34 AM
I love how people can vote "NO" but don't care to explain why!:roll:

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 03:35 AM
are you refering to the super expensive CG machine....2 index fingers?...;-)

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 03:46 AM
are you refering to the super expensive CG machine....2 index fingers?...;-)
No, I have noticed (at on least scratch built ones) that the orignal planes needed a long tail to compensate for the extra heavy motors. Thats why the nose is short and tails are long. If your trying to go scale then you need to keep as much weight up front and very little out back. Thats what I meant by being scary to balance.
Oh and I use my middle fingers, this allows me to help stabalize the plane with my index fingers and thumbs better.

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 03:56 AM
No, I have noticed (at on least scratch built ones) that the orignal planes needed a long tail to compensate for the extra heavy motors. Thats why the nose is short and tails are long. If your trying to go scale then you need to keep as much weight up front and very little out back. Thats what I meant by being scary to balance.
Oh and I use my middle fingers, this allows me to help stabalize the plane with my index fingers and thumbs better.

Oh I hear you on the bipes and tripes.....not much in the nose for balancing....

I use the middle fingers too.....

EpoweredRc
08-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I thought more would be in on it too, maybe to early? was this going to be a start Oct 1st and go to Halloween ? I am getting more into helis and trying to get it going so I might not be able to come up with anything either. not sure i will see

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I thought more would be in on it too, maybe to early? was this going to be a start Oct 1st and go to Halloween ? I am getting more into helis and trying to get it going so I might not be able to come up with anything either. not sure i will see
I was thinking maybe starting on 9/21 Fri and ending with all pics/vids in on Fri 10/26. Then voting will be held until 10/30. Then the winner(s) will be announced on Halloween. But with the lack of votes and support from members, I think it will be a bust. Maybe the powers at be can shed some light on the situation. I know Mike was behind it and hopefully he and the rest of the mods have discussed it.....

firemanbill
08-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey my flying is scary enough without dressing up my plane!:<:red:

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 11:41 PM
A Prize would bring people in on it....if Lucky Bill the Fireman stays away.:Q

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 11:47 PM
A Prize would bring people in on it....if Lucky Bill the Fireman stays away.:Q
Well I even offered up a prize of a $50 gift cert/card to any sponser's site or site of winners choice. But that would be a sperate award this way I could win.
Luckily this would be a poll contest, but would still win. Heck everyone else's planes would not work,cameras break or PC crashes but his. Declaring him the winner by default.:Q

firemanbill
08-26-2007, 11:48 PM
oh! now if there is a prize involved count me in!:Q

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 11:56 PM
oh! now if there is a prize involved count me in!:Q

Easy there "Sish-Ka-Bill"..........:Q;-):)

firemanbill
08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Easy there "Sish-Ka-Bill"..........:Q;-):)

Well heck it is Halloween... a bloody thumb might just do it!

EpoweredRc
08-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Well heck it is Halloween... a bloody thumb might just do it!
:< No Bill No dang it he found the thread, Y did someone tell him about this? We can't win anything now with him around :tc:

Just kidding Bill.

As said Don't know if I can be in this or not. I am thinking about building that foam plane that was seen in the Model book a month or so ago. those look neat.

Saucerguy2
08-31-2007, 10:02 PM
We can even expand this one to cover all of the major holiday's year round.

Water Boy
08-31-2007, 10:10 PM
We can even expand this one to cover all of the major holiday's year round.
Oooo, Great idea Saucer, I once tried a flying sleigh for X-mas. Never quite got it though.

Saucerguy2
08-31-2007, 10:31 PM
I saw one of these contests in another forum last year, the winner was a guy that took one of those crafts store foam pumpkins, hollowed it out and carved it up as a jack o lantern and used it to shrowd his heli, it looked cool, it even flew, be it barely.

Those of us that scratch build are going to have the definout advantage with any of these contests, a paint and color theme will not be much of a match for some new flying creation done in the holiday theme.

I think the gift certificate would be a good route to go, this would allow the winner to choose what they want for a prize. Also, advertizers could sponsor/donate along that end, it gives them cheap exposure, and since it's in a thread, will last as long as the forum stands to help promote them.

Water Boy
08-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Now if we can the mods to really get this ball going, that would be great. I wish more people would vote, only 12 yes 2 no and 3 maybe. Is that adiquite or will we need more? Personally, I think if this was to become real. Then many more would come out and join.

Saucerguy2
08-31-2007, 11:38 PM
They'll join once it's launched, people like a competition.

xuzme720
08-31-2007, 11:44 PM
I saw one of these contests in another forum last year, the winner was a guy that took one of those crafts store foam pumpkins, hollowed it out and carved it up as a jack o lantern and used it to shroud his heli, it looked cool, it even flew, be it barely.

Those of us that scratch build are going to have the definite advantage with any of these contests, a paint and color theme will not be much of a match for some new flying creation done in the holiday theme.

I think the gift certificate would be a good route to go, this would allow the winner to choose what they want for a prize. Also, advertisers could sponsor/donate along that end, it gives them cheap exposure, and since it's in a thread, will last as long as the forum stands to help promote them. that would be cool! I think you definitely have a leg up on us SG! I am still working on mine but at this point it's mainly graphics refinement before I start painting...and I keep finding things to keep me from putting it together, too.

like MY BRAND NEW COMBAT FOAMIE!!!!:Q ooh, it's just too sweet! AND it's mostly built right out of the box it came in...what? oh, ok. back to my contest flyer...:red:

xuzme720
09-01-2007, 03:19 AM
ok, I must have berated myself enough,(that and Saucerguys awesome scratchbuilt dragon!) I finally went ahead and put together the main structure. even with the CF it's still a little flexy, but it wasn't built to be a screamer. in fact, in flight it may not even be a factor...time will tell. anyway, some pics then I'm off to work on the graphics...

Biplane Murphy
09-01-2007, 05:50 AM
So does a plane in a super fancy costume qualify....hehehehehe

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 02:50 AM
made some progress on my entry today, but the more I work on this thing the more I feel like it's going to be a handfull in the air. at least I think it should fly pretty slow, that might help some...besides if this thing got to speed I think the whole thing would flutter like it was scared! anyway, I'm gonna hold off on pictures until it's completely finished. I have a little surprise! stay tuned!

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 02:50 AM
So does a plane in a super fancy costume qualify....hehehehehesure, if it's scary! :Q

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Gary, hopefully Mike or someone else can CHIME in with some insight as to whether or not this is going to happen. You would think they would have given us some kind of notice.

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 03:46 AM
still too early...besides, we can hold it just for fun if no one else steps up...no prizes or minimal prizes or whatever. no need to get anxious just yet...still got lot's of time.

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Yeah your right, I guess I better get to thinking. I don't wanna be too far behind in the building. Lets see what can I think up?

Brian, I saw your Dragon fly (dragonfly?:D) that would be a pretty good entry.

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 03:58 AM
lol but he and Murphy both have one! lose points for duplicate entries! lol

Saucerguy2
09-03-2007, 04:38 AM
If I were to enter, it would be something really insane, I might just stay on the sidelines for that reason alone. Hey, I offer a build service, perhaps something can be worked out. "evil grins...."

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 04:40 AM
lol actually with your experience it would be a sure thing! as long as Bill didn't enter!

smokejohnson
09-03-2007, 04:41 AM
If I were to enter, it would be something really insane, I might just stay on the sidelines for that reason alone. Hey, I offer a build service, perhaps something can be worked out. "evil grins...."

I think you should do a killer airbrushed paint job on the dragon :D. The possibilities are endless with that plane.

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 04:42 AM

lol actually with your experience it would be a sure thing! as long as Bill didn't enter!
Oh my GOD just imagine if he and Bill joined forces......heaven help us all.:Q

Biplane Murphy
09-03-2007, 05:23 AM
If you guys want to see the future winner of the halloween contest....
Look Here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24012

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... (evil Halloween laughter)

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 05:25 AM
grrrr....I may have to change the inscription on my entry! lol

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 05:29 AM
If you guys want to see the future winner of the halloween contest....
Look Here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24012

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... (evil Halloween laughter)
I saw the video of Brian's. Looks pretty good. Are planning an Asian dragon or Midevil? Maybe someone can make a flying Knight and you can do combat with them.
Brian appears to do great work, I would really like to design something and have someone kit it.

Biplane Murphy
09-03-2007, 05:40 AM
grrrr....I may have to change the inscription on my entry! lol

Is the inscription going to read Wilbur Frederick Monkeyton?....:Q:Q:Q

If it does, I'll vote for yours.:)

aviatordave
09-03-2007, 05:48 AM

I knew he has a corny name :Q

Biplane Murphy
09-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Mine will be more of the European variety......I am planning to spend some time on painting it....:)

And yes, Brian does some really nice work....:)

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 06:00 AM

If it does, I'll vote for yours.:)
lol I'll send you a PM with pics of what I have now. just remember it isn't done yet and I may still really screw it up! lol

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 06:04 AM
let me know if I have your vote...lol;-)

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 06:22 AM
lol I'll send you a PM with pics of what I have now. just remember it isn't done yet and I may still really screw it up! lol
I wanna see! I wanna see!

Biplane Murphy
09-03-2007, 06:24 AM

I like it... Brilliant!!:)

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 06:29 AM
I wanna see! I wanna see!PM sent:Q

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 06:39 AM
PM sent:Q
:QThats too funny!:Q I can't wait for the big reveal. So everyone else can see!

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 07:03 AM
:QThats too funny!:Q I can't wait for the big reveal. So everyone else can see!me too! now I just have to finish it and get it in the air! lol

Saucerguy2
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Unless you have GWS riding your heels, might as well bring it to the surface for all to see..........

lmopar69
09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
2DogRC.com sponsored a Holloween contest last year on RCG. It was a lot of fun and some really cool paint jobs were done for it. I think that its a great idea... and of course, if theres a contest... IM IN!!!

Laine.

Water Boy
09-03-2007, 04:09 PM
2DogRC.com sponsored a Holloween contest last year on RCG. It was a lot of fun and some really cool paint jobs were done for it. I think that its a great idea... and of course, if theres a contest... IM IN!!!

Laine.
Hey Laine hows it goin? I was going to enter that last year but never did. Did'nt you have a sister or something like that paint yours? IIRC it was black and white? My fav contest over there was the Scratchbuilt Foamie one what a blast.

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Unless you have GWS riding your heels, might as well bring it to the surface for all to see..........but it's not finished...:red:. ok, I'll post one of the graphic...but even that isn't 100% done yet....

smokejohnson
09-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I love it thats funny.

Saucerguy2
09-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Now you just gotta have the monkey on it with Xed out eyes like they show in the cartoons when a character dies.

lmopar69
09-04-2007, 02:35 AM
Hey Laine hows it goin? I was going to enter that last year but never did. Did'nt you have a sister or something like that paint yours? IIRC it was black and white? My fav contest over there was the Scratchbuilt Foamie one what a blast.

Yup my sister the tattoo artist painted mine. In fact, I just sold it yesterday for $130 ready to fly with a Himax outrunner CC controller, GWS RX and 3S 1800 lipo.

Water Boy
09-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Only 2 days left to vote!

Gary how did you paint your plane?

Mike any word?

Biplane Murphy
09-05-2007, 02:13 AM
O.K. here's my entry.... It's dressed up as the invisible man....heheheheh

Water Boy
09-05-2007, 02:19 AM
O.K. here's my entry.... It's dressed up as the invisible man....heheheheh
Wow! Great attention to detail! So scale looking I can't tell it from the real thing. Good job you'll win for sure!:Q

xuzme720
09-05-2007, 02:42 AM
Only 2 days left to vote!

Gary how did you paint your plane?

Mike any word?wait, 2 days? thought we had til halloween! shoot! I'm not ready yet!

Water Boy
09-05-2007, 02:47 AM
wait, 2 days? thought we had til halloween! shoot! I'm not ready yet!
2 Days to vote in the poll for creating the contest. Shot if the contest was over in 2 days you'd win. Your the only contestant.

Major Danger voted NO, I think its because I gave him a hug.:Q

Biplane Murphy
09-05-2007, 03:00 AM
wait, 2 days? thought we had til halloween! shoot! I'm not ready yet!

That's what I thought he meant too.... hence the invisible plane joke....hehehehe

xuzme720
09-05-2007, 03:07 AM
oh the poll...been a long day! lol

Water Boy
09-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Only 35 mins left to vote (on the idea of the contest ;) )
I don't think anymore will vote as its been open for a while and only 23 votes. Thanks to all who voted and like Gary stated we can always have the contest for Ss & Gs;-).