PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled by the Brushless Motor...

SHIDENKAI
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi there...

I have built few electric r/c planes with brushed motors & suitable esc...it was quite easy for me to "connect" the wires because all the time "same color to same color" rule was working...now I'm in trouble with my "new" outrunner brushless and the "suitable" esc...the integrated wires (3) of the brusless motor are all in "black"...and really I do not know how to "connect" that wires to which of the wires of the new esc...esc having 3 wires colored as black, red & yellow...both esc & bl motor wires' open ends are bare (bullet connectors are not applied yet)..

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks in advance,

Shi-den-kai

Prof100
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi there...

I have built few electric r/c planes with brushed motors & suitable esc...it was quite easy for me to "connect" the wires because all the time "same color to same color" rule was working...now I'm in trouble with my "new" outrunner brushless and the "suitable" esc...the integrated wires (3) of the brusless motor are all in "black"...and really I do not know how to "connect" that wires to which of the wires of the new esc...esc having 3 wires colored as black, red & yellow...both esc & bl motor wires' open ends are bare (bullet connectors are not applied yet)..

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks in advance,

Shi-den-kai

I know this sound counter-intuitive but solder up the wires (you should use plugs). Plug in the 3 wires (be careful to not short them against one another) and test the motor to see if it is going in the right direction. If running backwards, stop the motor, disconnet the battery, swap any two wires and power it up again. It will reverse. Trust me, it works. When properly wired add the insulating shrink to protect the wires from shorting out against one another.

I am new to the brushless motors and am on my third installation. The last motor even had the same color combination as the ESC. Did it run in the right direction? Answer, no, I had to swap to wires. I haven't yet guessed right the first time in three tries, but the odds are getting better. :)

Grasshopper
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Hello Shidenkai,

Prof100 is correct. You may also want to consider soldering bullet connectors on the ESC and motor leads in case you need to remove the motor or ESC. If you do choose to solder the leads together, just make sure to put the heat shrink on the wires before you solder them and keep it away from the solder joint until it cools. You can't add the heat shrink after you'e soldered them.

SHIDENKAI
08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Dear prof100,

Many thanks for your fast reply...I'll do what you've told to me...unfortunatley all of my material are in the summer house and must wait till Friday to "test":silly:...
Anyway..thanks again..have a good week...

Best Wishes,

Shidenkai

SHIDENKAI
08-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for your detailed "hints" Grasshopper...and "fast" reply..I'll do what I've been told...and for sure the result will be ok...
Take Care,

Shidenkai

danny.act
08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Check out the instructions that came with Your ESC, it could be possible that you can change motor running-direction with your ESC. It is also worthwhile to check other settings as correct timing, battery type, etc...

Gnascher
08-21-2007, 05:59 PM
With Brushless motors, polarity is irrelevant. At different times throughout a revolution each individual wire cycles between OFF, POS and NEG.

Brushless motors work on phase ... as current is applied to each winding, it generates an magnetic field briefly which reacts against the magnets. The magnetic field is "moved" around the motor by cycling polarity, etc...

Prof100
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
With Brushless motors, polarity is irrelevant. At different times throughout a revolution each individual wire cycles between OFF, POS and NEG.

Brushless motors work on phase ... as current is applied to each winding, it generates an magnetic field briefly which reacts against the magnets. The magnetic field is "moved" around the motor by cycling polarity, etc...

Gnascher,

Very good, thanks for the explanation.

Norman Albert
08-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi: All you need to do is connect all 3 wires in any order. Try the throttle and take note what direction the motor rotates.( without a prop on) If wrong direction, just swap any 2 wires. Problem solved. Norm