PDA

View Full Version : Good quality Lipo's

JimClark
11-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Let em start off these are not going to be used in a plane but a boat. But you guy's have the most experience with Lipo's. our club has a member who does a lot of importing from China. He has arranged to provide Lipo's to us on a one time buy ( a brand new cell for this manufacturer. These batteries are 4s1p 4000mah 20 continous cells. My question is this these cells are going to be extremely cheap compared to what I have seen available now in that size of battery. We draw 30 to 40 amps continous and at times especially in the turns 60 amps. I have heard that China cells are not very good and that the aluminum tabs do not hold up well in high amp draws.
Any comments on China cells? I should add they are made by the same people who make OEM Batteries for Sharp and Phillips electronics.

thank smuch
Jim Clark

roccobro
11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Do you happen to know the name? If it is really cheap, I'd give them a whirl. As long as you have something (chart/experience) to compare them too so you know what they *should* be doing you'll be fine. Might be a the ticket or a bust. With so many manufacturers, you just don't know.

Just how "cheap" are they selling for?

Justin

watt_the?!
11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
i once spent quite a bit of time inivestigating lipos in hardcore boats...a resounding NO was the answer due to their ability to temp runaway and react with water and oxygen. plus the fact that the nimhs actually assist in boat dynamics and can take a dunk and survive. Actually brushed motors do quite well also.

the world record speed was achieved by nimh cells partly for this reason.

the gurus know about brushless and lipos and their position is clear. something to consider anyways.

Tim.

Twmaster
11-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Jim from what I have read cheap cells are exactly that. Perhaps Red will chime in with his experiences regarding 'cheap' Lipo cells. I don't think I would trust them myself. Especially in a boat.

Red Scholefield
11-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Like most product out of China, some are great others are garbage. It can vary from shipment to shipment even from the same manufacturer. They can make excellent products, unfortunately it is up to you to sort them out.:o

GeraldRosebery
11-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Let em start off these are not going to be used in a plane but a boat. But you guy's have the most experience with Lipo's. our club has a member who does a lot of importing from China. He has arranged to provide Lipo's to us on a one time buy ( a brand new cell for this manufacturer. These batteries are 4s1p 4000mah 20 continous cells. My question is this these cells are going to be extremely cheap compared to what I have seen available now in that size of battery. We draw 30 to 40 amps continous and at times especially in the turns 60 amps. I have heard that China cells are not very good and that the aluminum tabs do not hold up well in high amp draws.
Any comments on China cells? I should add they are made by the same people who make OEM Batteries for Sharp and Phillips electronics.

thank smuch
Jim Clark

To the best of my knowledge, at this time, virtually all new sources of LiPO's are Chinese. They are not likely to be crap as the company has made a huge investment to make them and Chinese quality control is MUCH improved. The problem relates more to the design of the cells and the current draw they were designed to handle. If they are made for electronics, then C rate is likely to be lower than 10C max. You need to know C rate or you are going to fry them in charging or in use. BTW, using zinc solder and special flux, it's not hard to solder to aluminum.

JimClark
11-10-2005, 07:46 PM
What I am told is they will be 20C continous