PDA

View Full Version : 2-Piece E-Starter

CustomCougar
11-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Tried doing an outside loop yesterday with my E-Starter. I started at 2 mistakes high. I don't think 3 high would have helped. She just wouldn't pull out. Staight in...full speed..from around 75 ft.

Results: Broke the fuse in half, plus cracks all over the cabin. Shattered the gearbox and cowl, cracked the wing and more.

After an hours work, the fuse is ready to fly again. Just need to epoxy the cracked wing, repair a broken aileron and remount the aileron servo/linkage.

I guess a high wing with dihedral is not a great choice for outside loops!
Anyone out there able to do this with their E-Starter (without a b/l motor)?

debhicks
11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
If you take out some of the diheadral and clip off the winglets you will get a higher performing estarter. Flys nice. I flew one that was brushless. Couldn't really ask for a more stable plane.

But I think you will get good performance out of the stock motor with the right battery pack.

CustomCougar
11-09-2005, 10:39 PM
If you take out some of the diheadral and clip off the winglets you will get a higher performing estarter. Flys nice. I flew one that was brushless. Couldn't really ask for a more stable plane.

But I think you will get good performance out of the stock motor with the right battery pack.

I'm quite happy with the performance for now (I'm a beginner). I get 9 minute flights and the plane can handle some pretty stiff winds. It will do inside loops with ease. It was the attempt at an outside loop that killed it. It just wouldn't pull out of it's vertical descent. Maybe too much speed?
I started out by going full throttle into an 8mph wind. Gave it full down elevator. It quickly turned nose down, then refused to continue towards inverted. Jst kept plummeting. Like a dummy, I tried fighting it instead of attempting to save it.
Oh well, live and learn.

CustomCougar
11-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Ok, nothing a little epoxy and super glue couldn't fix. Here's a pic after repairing all the damage. There were a lot of cracks thru out the fuse. I hope it holds up.

matwiyj
11-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I feel your pain. My first airplane, the Parkzone Decathlon died the same way. I was 3 mistakes high because I thought maybe it couldn't do it and I still smashed it in. Folded the prop back along the fuse and accordioned the whole thing from the trailing edge forward. Wing was intact though. It was really pretty comical looking, kind of the way you'd expect an airplane in a Bugs Bunny cartoon to look after nosediving into the ground. I now fly a GWS Corsair that can loop inside and outside with no problems :cool:

Jarod Matwy
Winnipeg, Canada

debhicks
11-10-2005, 05:11 PM
You should see the one my friend has modified. :) Your's looks wonderful. At least you haven't carved up blue foam and taped into voids:)

CustomCougar
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I now fly a GWS Corsair that can loop inside and outside with no problems :cool:

Jarod Matwy
Winnipeg, Canada

How easy is it to transition from E-Starter to Corsair? It's on my short list for next plane.

CustomCougar
11-10-2005, 09:14 PM
You should see the one my friend has modified. :) Your's looks wonderful. At least you haven't carved up blue foam and taped into voids:)

I was real close to doing just that! Thought I'd give the epoxy a try first. The cabin is definately not a strong as it was. It now has a little flex in it.
Replacement foam is next if needed!

I plan to try and re-maiden tonight (winds permitting). No more new stunts for a while tho.:eek: