PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick Flying Boat

ripster327
08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
What a blast! Finally got my GWS Slow Stick Flying Boat to ROW! The flying boat is made from the kit sold by Jim Spencer of Sayre, PA (jimsp1@yahoo.com). He's a Wattflyer member. Thanks Jim!!! SSFB total weight is 27 oz. Used a GWS speed 400 with 3:1 gear ratio and GWS 1180 prop, Electri-fly 12 amp micro ESC, and Electri-fly 3S (11.1V) 1500 mAh batt. Rose off the water (ROW) quickly. Flew level at good altitude at 1/2 throttle. With battery located below in the flying boat hull (resulting in low CG), the flight and landings are extremely stable. However, rather short duration, probably due to batteries not being fully charged. Previous flights required hand launching due to the use of speed 300 and 350 motors with 7.2V NiMH batteries. They were good flights but ROW was nearly impossible. Video clip to follow once I get someone to operate the camera. Check out Jim's postings on the SSFB as well as those by VTT. Very valuable stuff.

FlyingMonkey
08-22-2007, 08:16 PM
do you have a link to any pics of this?

what about a link to his profile so we can see what else he has?

ripster327
08-23-2007, 03:57 PM
The best pics of the SSFB are those by Jim Spencer and can be found at jimsp. Try his thread entitled" SLOW STICK FLYING BOAT II." Go there for virtually everything you want to know about this plane. JIM HAS SOME GREAT PICS. Also, check out the site by RetiredVTT. He shows some modifications to Jim's design, including the widening of the sponsons that I incorporated.

FlyingMonkey
08-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I have checked that out.

In fact, I referenced that thread yesterday.

LAbelle44
08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I too have a jimsp SSFB, down right now due to dumb thumbs. I wonder if you can provide a link to the mods by VTT. No time like the present for modifications!:ws:

ripster327
08-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I incorrectly provided the site you refer to. The correct site is retiredVTT. Check it out and you'll see a beautiful yellow/blue SSFB (with the FB modification of Jim's design) with the modified sponsons. I contacted retiredVTT (his name is Bill) regarding his power system. It is: Hyperion 2213/20 motor, 18 amp esc, 3S pack and 10/3.8 prop. He says it flys well on half throttle. Good luck with your SSFB. Don't get discouraged. Once you get things right, the sky is the limit! (Sorry, I just couldn't help that.)

Paul

LAbelle44
08-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Okay, so my thumbs are not the only dumb part, I do not understand how to get to "site retiredvtt". I tried a search for post,s by retiredvtt with no luck. And thanks for the encouragement. My fellow club memebers say the same thing. I am learning how to take pride in creative crashes er landing's!

ripster327
08-24-2007, 11:07 PM
No, it's not you LAbelle. I went back to try to fine the posts by retiredVTT, and here's what I found. On wattflyer I went to the posting by jimsp dated 11 Feb 2007. After a few minutes I found myself NOT in wattflyer, but in the www.rcgroups.com web site. I'm not sure how that happened. Anyway, if you find yourself there, go to posting #112 dated 3 August 2006. That is one by retiredVTT with many pics. Look around in the area of that posting and you will fine more pics by both Jim at jimsp and Bill at retiredVTT. Good luck. Let me know how you did.

Paul

LAbelle44
08-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks Paul, been on jury duty so havent had the energy to post. I will go hunting there!

tdearth
08-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I will second the fun factor of the slowstick float plane.
Here is a post I just made on RCGroups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735058

That post also has a link to Jim's original thread.

The only changes I made from Jims was to reinforce where the
pontoon CF rods enter the hull, and use a large rectangular hatch
for ease of battery insertion and water rudder maintenance.

This thing is a ball to fly off of even small water puddles.

Tim

ripster327
08-30-2007, 05:30 AM
tdearth,

Beautiful job! I really like the square hatch idea. I didn't know the SSFB would fly so high to require oxygen for the pilot.

What is the power system?

Paul

tdearth
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I have an eflight 370 outrunner with a GWS 10-47 slow fly prop.
I have been using TP1320 prolite LIPO but I am going to try a TP2100
because the extra weight is neglegible in this plane and I can use the extra duration.

With the 2100 I was afraid that the pilot would need oxygen for insurance.:)

Tim

ripster327
10-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Excellent move you made by reinforcing the CF rods at the hull. As my hull begins to disintegrate due to some hard landings, I'm beginning to see the utility in those reinforcements. I'll be sure to add them on my next build.

Paul

ripster327
10-11-2007, 04:02 PM
OK, I don't usually provide endorsements of products, but I cannot let this one go by without telling about it. I recently purchased an outrunner and ESC for my SSFB on eBay for less than $30! The seller is "heads up rc." He sells a brushless outrunner 2410-09Y and a 20 Amp ESC (already programmed for SlowStick performance) for $29.50 (Buy It Now). His shipping cost is only $2.00 for as much as you want to buy in a single purchase. I am currently using his products with a GWS 1147 prop and the SSFB flys perfectly. Batt is a 3S (11.1V) 1500 mAh LiPo. Check out "heads up rc" on eBay as he has lots of other stuff at extremely reasonable (that means "cheap") prices.

Paul

phupper
11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
"I recently purchased an outrunner and ESC for my SSFB on eBay for less than $30! The seller is "heads up rc."

The secret's out!

aviatordave
11-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Go directly to the site: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront

ripster327
11-21-2008, 03:04 AM
"I recently purchased an outrunner and ESC for my SSFB on eBay for less than $30! The seller is "heads up rc."

The secret's out!

Hey phupper. Don't forget to douse that motor and esc (and the rx) in CorrosionX. That stuff really works.

Paul

seth_man
07-28-2009, 02:53 AM
does anyone know how much tdearth's SS weighs? i too have made my FB from my PZ SLO-V and some insulation foam. Pics to follow, but i was just wanting to compare the weights.

Thank you to all of you, and your informational inputs!

ripster327
08-06-2009, 03:59 AM
does anyone know how much tdearth's SS weighs? i too have made my FB from my PZ SLO-V and some insulation foam. Pics to follow, but i was just wanting to compare the weights.

Thank you to all of you, and your informational inputs!

I flew my first SSFB for two seasons and finally destroyed it last week in a tree on shore. I've got a second one almost finished and will provide the weight and pics in a posting perhaps this weekend. Waiting to see your pics as well.

ripster327
08-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Just finished my second Slow Stick Flying Boat based on Jim Spencer's FB kit (jimsp1@yahoo.com). The markings are WWI Polish Air Force (my name is Wojciechowski). Here are the specs: 2410-09Y brushless motor (supplied from headsuprc.com), GWS EP1147 prop, Power Up 32A ESC for brushless motors also supplied by headsuprc (shrink wrap removed), Cirrus MRX-4 (Mk. II) Rx, two Hitec HS-55 Feather Servos for rudder and elevator, Electrifly 3S LiPo Batt 1500 mAh 11.1 V wired for balancing, weight is 25.0 oz. (including Batt.), Wing Area is 506 sq. in. or 3.51 sq. ft. Wing Loading is 7.11 oz./sq. ft., flight time (based on SSFB I) is 12 to 16 minutes on fully charged 3S LiPo. All the above items were used on my first SSFB with great success (once I converted to brushless motor and LiPo batt). Rise off water (ROW) is effortless and quite scale-like. Flight is extremely stable due to low CofG and deep dihedral when flying. Alerons not necessary. Jim Spencer sometimes uses a fourth servo for water rudder (would be nice, but not really necessary). Motor, naked ESC and Rx are soaked in Corrosion-X overnight for waterproofing electronics. Paint job is rough due to Krylon Spray paint. DON'T USE IT ON FOAM! It eats up the foam even when precoated with two coats of Minwax Polycrylic. Note that in the photos, only two rubberbands are used to attach the wing. This was only for the photos. You should use at least six rubberbands for this purpose. Happy flying!

CHELLIE
08-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Nice Flying SS Ripster, It looks like a lot of Fun, Take care, Chellie

lrb605
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
That is a great looking SS boat. I just wish I had water closer to me so I could have an excuse to build it!
Keep it up Ripster!:)