PDA

View Full Version : Covering Ultrafly models

DaveRC100
11-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Has anyone tried to use one of the low temperature coverings on an Ultrafly model? It seems to be quite a soft foam and I understand that the higher temperature films require too much heat. I have a PC-9, haven't started building it yet but would like it too look nice (and stay looking that way) when it is finished.

hoppy
11-10-2005, 02:35 AM
I like colored tape - http://www.fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html

It adds little weight but much strength and protects the surface. After application, I go over it with an iron at 200F. Takes any wrinkles out and makes it stick real well. There are some very thin (0.8mil) clear packaging tapes which can be used over painted surfaces. I've also used Nelson Lite Film / So-lite which can be put on at 180F but prefer the tape.
Here's my Pitts covered in tape.

DaveRC100
11-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks hoppy. I'm concerned about the particular type of foam that Ultrafly make their models from. I expect yours would be different - they all seem to be.

ultimate bipe lover
11-23-2005, 05:28 PM
i use the peel and stick momokote on these type of foam models. I did this on my bae hawk and it came out nicely here is a few pics it is not currently flying but still looks nice i even cut down a pilot to put in

Jeremy Z
11-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I've got an EdgeRC flying wing on the way. They recommend that you cover it with Ultracote. It has a wider temperature range (lower) than Monokote. Tower Hobbies is also marketing their own brand of film, which they advertise as having a wide heat range. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one. I would think that it would look a lot better than any tape when it's done too.

Tape is best used to protect edges and add highlights. Having to overlap tape to do the job is just kind of ghetto.

Jeremy

Zeroaltitude
11-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Solite and Solarfilm (for a slightly tougher surface) is quite safe, and lightwheight. The fact that they are both easy to work with doesn´t hurt either. Do keep the iron moving over the surface though just to be on the safe side.

Anders O

DaveRC100
11-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I feel better about sticking the iron on now.:)