PDA

View Full Version : Keuka Lake in New York State

ripster327
08-24-2007, 07:43 PM
I live on Keuka Lake in the Finger Lakes region of mid-state NY. I've just started flying off the lake with my Slow Stick (modified using Jim Spencer's flying boat kit--excellent kit by Jim). I'm looking for fellow seaplane flyers who might be in the neighborhood including surrounding lakes (Canandaigua, Waneta, Seneca, and others). Anybody out there? We might want to form an interest group or something like that for trading info and ideas etc. I suppose gassers might be welcome, but as far as I'm concerned, castor oil and water really don't mix. Electric motors do a lot better taking a bath than do those air breathers.

Paul

Bill G
08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
We used to have a cottage, when I was growing up, on Canadaigua on the southeast end. Miss it a lot.
I'm modeling a Seabee now, which is done after a scheme of a guy who flies his on Keuka lake. I gotta get back on mine, and finish it. Nearly complete
Have you ever seen the full size version of mine at Keuka?

Bill

ripster327
08-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Bill, Beautiful job on your bench!!! Hope you can get it off the water soon. Yes, I know Canandaigua Lake very well. Anyway, yes, I've seen the blue/white Seabee here on Keuka. I think it is owned by a former airline pilot who is active in the Curtiss Museum here in Hammondsport at the south end of Keuka Lake. I'm sure you're aware that Glenn Curtiss is the "Father of Naval Aviation." Guys at the museum have built several of his planes and flown them during the annual float fly-in. This year, they will be flying the "America," built by Curtiss just prior to the Great War. The plane was built to fly the Atlantic over to England! At the outbreak of WWI, Curtiss sold the plane(s) to The U.K. for sub recon (I believe). Anyway, big news: Next month, on September 14,15 and 16 the America will be rolled out and flown! I believe the pilot will be the fellow who owns the Seabee. It's definitely worth a trip for any ROW fan to see it.

Paul

ripster327
08-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Bill G,

I just took a look at your Seabee scratchbuild project. Incredible(!) is all I can say. Absolutely incredible. I doubt I could never get to that point in this great hobby. I'm going to make sure the fellow down in Hammondsport who flys his and is building "The America" sees it. Anyway, if you want more info on the America project going on down there and the Seaplane Homecoming weekend, go to their web site:

www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/Seaplane/seaplane_homecoming.htm (http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/Seaplane/seaplane_homecoming.htm)

As you can see from the site, the America is a gargantuan twin-engine biplane seaplane. It is my understanding that the project is on time and thus the plane will fly on that weekend in September.

BTW, during the Seaplane Homecoming, owners of the planes that fly in for that event sell rides (for a nominal charge) up and over Keuka Lake including the Seabee! Now, doesn't that want to make you plan the trip to Hammondsport?

Let's keep in touch and let me know the next time you're in the area.

Paul

Bill G
08-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all the good info Paul. I would like to come up there to see all that stuff. Love the area too.
My dad (WWII vet) had a good friend with a cottage near ours, at Canadaigua, Paul Bacon. He was a WWII Corsair, Grumman Cat vet. Spent countless hours as a volunteer at the Geneseo National Warplane Museum. Went there a few time with him, once to a historical airshow.
If only I was as into this stuff back then, as I am now.

The owner of the full size Seabee of my model is Jim Poel, on this page:
http://www.republicseabee.com/MembersNQ.html

Bill

ripster327
08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Bill G,

Yes, we sometimes take for granted the availability and value of oral history until it's no longer available. Thanks for the info. Good article by Jim.

Paul

flicka5
08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the good info Paul. I would like to come up there to see all that stuff. Love the area too.
My dad (WWII vet) had a good friend with a cottage near ours, at Canadaigua, Paul Bacon. He was a WWII Corsair, Grumman Cat vet. Spent countless hours as a volunteer at the Geneseo National Warplane Museum. Went there a few time with him, once to a historical airshow.
If only I was as into this stuff back then, as I am now.

The owner of the full size Seabee of my model is Jim Poel, on this page:
http://www.republicseabee.com/MembersNQ.html

Bill

Took this at Sebring Fl. earlier this year. It must be Jim's aircraft?
Flicka5

FlyingMonkey
08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I saw that plane on land at Sun N Fun this year...

ripster327
08-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the update on the Seebee.

Bill, have you got it wet yet?

Paul

Bill G
08-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Basically ready. Still got to try this thing. I believe I can fly at a large nearby state park lake, after the summer season is over. Wish I had a large lake in my backyard.

Nice pics of Jim's Seabee in Florida too.

Bill

ripster327
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Bill,

I've got Keuka Lake in my backyard. If you're ever in New York wine country, you can fly off my dock. There's about 20 miles of lake to use. That ought to be sufficient. We might even try to have Jim P christen your plane.

Paul

Bill G
08-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Bill,

I've got Keuka Lake in my backyard. If you're ever in New York wine country, you can fly off my dock. There's about 20 miles of lake to use. That ought to be sufficient. We might even try to have Jim P christen your plane.

Paul
Thanks, I really do miss that area too, as you know we used to have a cottage on Canandaigua. I should come visit sometime.
May finally motivate me to fly this thing too.:D

Bill

shv2sail
08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Paul! My father lives at the north end of Owasco lake...and is just getting started in electric float flying. I picked him up a set of e-flite .25 floats for his .25 trainer (electric converted) and he's finishing up a set of Birdi floats for his .40 trainer (also "e"). He's just getting started in float flying, and I'm sure he'd like a local person to bounce ideas off of. I'll steer him in your direction!

-Steve

ripster327
08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Steve,

Nothing beats flying off the water (for me, at least). You never have to worry about running out of runway, and a view of a plane just breaking off the water into flight leaving water behind is very pretty. I've been on Owasco Lake as part of the Great Race (canoe/bike/run) with my sons--lovely lake.

Good luck to your dad and his first float plane. If he's looking for an easy entrance into water flight, I recommend the Slow Stik Flying Boat (SSFB) (ala Jim Spencer's styrofoam hull as discussed in earlier threads). I'd love to see some pics once he's flying.

Above all--waterproofing of electronics!!!!!!!!! I use Corrosion X and recommend it for the Rx, ESC, and motors. You'll find more about that in past threads.

Good luck to your dad.

Paul

ripster327
08-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks, I really do miss that area too, as you know we used to have a cottage on Canandaigua. I should come visit sometime.
May finally motivate me to fly this thing too.:D

Bill

I, for one, would love to see it.

Paul

shv2sail
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Paul. I'll pass on the info about the SSFB and the waterproofing of the electronics.

I'm a big fan of flying off water as well, unfortunately all the liability issues in this area have all but ended most of the water flying -all of the Maryland float flys are no more. If/when I finish my Catalina conversion I'll probably be bringing it up to CNY to maiden it off of my home lake.

Thanks again!

ripster327
08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Steve,

Sad to hear about the Maryland ban on float flying. You must be living in a rather populated area.

Do I understand that you are converting a PBY Cat to electric? THAT'S BY FAR MY FAVORITE!!! If so, and if you are planning to bring it up to Owasco Lake to fly it, please let me know--I'll be there.

Good luck and again good luck to your dad and his entry into flying off water.

Paul

idealhobbies
08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Paul,

I was born in Penn Yan. Majority of my family is there. Know any of the Searles or Deal clans? My grandmother was in Dresden. Pretty much all of my Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins are there. My mother was living at the Soldier and Sailors Hospital (which I had the unpleasent experience of having to "put" her there or the state was going to "put" her somewhere).

Beautiful place. I'd love to live there, but there are not enough good paying jobs. I tried back in 2001 to find a good living in the area, but I finally decided that it was in my best interest to stay in Delaware.

My Grandmother lived by the creek in Dresden just uphill from the power plant. I used to love walking along the creek bed and get flat rocks for skipping when I was a kid. I had a lot of fun along that creek.

shv2sail
08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Yup...it's Kyosho's version of the Cat. Unfortunately, I received the airframe is less than flyable condition (wing looked like it was broken over someone's knee)...but I've been slowly putting it back together. I'm trying to come up with a scale tip-float mod for the beast...since I have all the covering off the wing and all. Right now that's been the slow part of the rebuild.

I'll let you know if I'll be bringing it up there!

Steve

Bill G
12-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Looking back at old threads, and I found this one. Keuka lake now has a Curtiss America replica that has flown from the lake, and is now in the museum. Quite an attraction, and a good reason for folks to stop by and visit the Glenn Curtiss museum, when in the area.
The replica is so beautiful, that when I saw it, I had to build a replica of the replica. :Q Hopefully in some years, I'll make it to the museum, and maybe donate the model.

ripster327
12-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Bill,

You are truly amazing. The replica of the America is beautiful. How many hours did you put in on that? I can't get over your building prowess. Thank you for posting it. BTW, I've seen the plane fly twice during the Glenn Curtiss Seaplane Homecoming held each September. It is pure beauty in flight. The sound of it approaching and flying overhead is unforgettable. Jim Poel piloted it each time. Now you have two models connected to him--the America and the Seabee. Speaking of which, have you flown it yet? Thanks again for the post.

Paul

P.S. I have no doubt the museum folks would welcome having your replica of the replica hanging in the museum. They already have some spectacular looking models, most of which were donated by excellent model makers. If and when you ever do make it to the museum, please let me know. I would like very much to walk through it with you. The attractions there continue to grow--models, full size replicas and many of the real thing. One of my favorite "real things" is the 28-cylinder (3800 hp!) engine from the Convair B-36. It is a marvel of machining. I have to look at it every time I'm there.

shv2sail
12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow...that is a beautiful replica indeed! I too agree the museum would probably love to have it...great work.

I was lucky enough to be in CNY for the annual seaplane fly-in at the lake/museum two years ago and as able to see the America replica fly as well (I think I have some cell-phone video of her passing directly overhead). Amazing stuff and I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the museum timed to coincide with the fly-in - especially if you're a Seabee fun...lots of those in attendance.

cyclops2
12-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Hi Bill

I was there when they first tried to maiden her on the lake.

It is a BIG plane to fly with no power boosts !!

We wound up doing a wine trail & I found out that I like Dr. Franks Reisling. First wine I have really enjoyed in 72 years. :)

I am converting all the GWS planes to geared Hyperion 12 mm 5980 KV with 11.77 : 1 BP Hobby gearboxes. Twins also.
The Guan Li PBY has to do a War Rating take off. Otherwise it will be OK.

What are you working on now ?

Rich

Bill G
12-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the comments all, on the America.
Paul the America build was a record. A few days under 2-1/2 months. I'm still not sure how I pulled that one off.

Amazing stuff and I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the museum timed to coincide with the fly-in - especially if you're a Seabee fun...lots of those in attendance.

Shv2sail, I modeled the Seabee of the guy who piloted the America, Jim Poel. He flys it on Keuka lake. Still need to fly it though.
Hi Bill

I was there when they first tried to maiden her on the lake.

It is a BIG plane to fly with no power boosts !!

We wound up doing a wine trail & I found out that I like Dr. Franks Reisling. First wine I have really enjoyed in 72 years. :)

I am converting all the GWS planes to geared Hyperion 12 mm 5980 KV with 11.77 : 1 BP Hobby gearboxes. Twins also.
The Guan Li PBY has to do a War Rating take off. Otherwise it will be OK.

What are you working on now ?

Rich
Hello Rich. I'm working on a 42" Saro A1 with a 69mm Eflite Delta-V fan setup. Today is a good day, as I finally completed all of the balsa parts, less the tiny vertical stab extension. Lot's of fun covering ahead. :eek:
I temporarily placed everything together for the bare bones shots below.
Given that I started from a lousy enlarged 3-view with no sections, it is my most ambitious project to date. I'm using an advanced CAD design program called MS Paint. :Q

furn1593
02-17-2011, 03:24 AM
http://www.republicseabee.com/
http://www.republicseabee.com/Images/Jimpoel_2010.jpg (http://republicseabee.com/jim%20poel.html)

The Seabee Community has lost one of its most influential members, Jim Poel died today (1-29-2011) at 4:30 PM. He suffered a heart attack after recovering from his injuries from his "Curtiss Albany Flyer" accident in June. I can tell you that in my mind, Jim was the quintessential pilot. I wanted to be like him when I grew up. He was the inspiration for me taking over the Seabee website and I always admired, and was envious of, his professional yet humorous approach toward flying. I am honored and grateful to have had the privelege to know him. A better person has not graced the Seabee community. He will be sorely missed. My eyes are looking to the west...
"Beyond the edge of darkness I see the gift of light
where all the things I dreamed of are now within my sight,
beyond the pain and suffering that held me down so long,
I see a new sun rising I hear a brand new song."

by Rich Grover
(a tribute to Jim from Rich Grover)

ripster327
02-21-2011, 03:33 AM
I am shocked and saddened by the news of the passing of Jim Poel. He was so much a part of the Curtiss Museum and its shop where he worked on the teams that built the replicas that once finished, he would then fly. My sincerest sympathy to his family and all who loved Jim. He will truly be missed. Thank you for posting the notice.

Paul

Bill G
02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
I am shocked and saddened by the news of the passing of Jim Poel. He was so much a part of the Curtiss Museum and its shop where he worked on the teams that built the replicas that once finished, he would then fly. My sincerest sympathy to his family and all who loved Jim. He will truly be missed. Thank you for posting the notice.

Paul
Sad news Paul. I had a feeling that he was not well lately, as I could not find any recent updates on how he was doing. The accident must have really taken its toll on him. I was hoping to contact him, to show him the model of the America that he has flown. He enjoyed seeing the Seabee pictures of the model resembling his Seabee. I always thought his Seabee was the sharpest looking, and was the obvious choice for a scheme. If the America and Seabee models survive flying, I should donate them to the Museum someday. The Seabee would also be fitting as a display, since it was Jim's personal plane.

ripster327
02-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Sad news Paul. I had a feeling that he was not well lately, as I could not find any recent updates on how he was doing. The accident must have really taken its toll on him. I was hoping to contact him, to show him the model of the America that he has flown. He enjoyed seeing the Seabee pictures of the model resembling his Seabee. I always thought his Seabee was the sharpest looking, and was the obvious choice for a scheme. If the America and Seabee models survive flying, I should donate them to the Museum someday. The Seabee would also be fitting as a display, since it was Jim's personal plane.

Bill G,

I think your idea of eventually donating the America and Seabee to the Curtiss Museum is awesome. Everyone there had tremendous love and respect for Jim. I have no doubt that those pieces would find a very special spot in their building. Thanks for your note.

Paul

obbm
07-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi, Ripster327,

I was looking at Curtiss Museum planes and some Jim Poel sites, and found this thread. I am curious where you are flying on Keuka. I have lived in Hammondsport 33 years, and have been in R/C since 1955. I now live on the corner by the "Welcome to Hammondsport" sign. My E-mail is obbm1 "at" hotmail.com if you care to reply.

Thanks,
Bill Narby

road king 97
07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Ripster, I wish i was closer, i would fly with you guys any day ! I retire soon and i will take my seaplanes on the road. Getting my coach and seaplanes ready to travel already for next summer. joe

ripster327
07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Road King 97,

Beautiful 4-engine ship. Load it and yourself in the coach and get up here to Kueka Lake. The summers are perfect for flying off the lake just as Glenn Curtiss found it to be a hundred years ago. Any specifics on the plane in the pics?

Ripster

road king 97
07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
It is from ivans plans and i have build thread here in the forums. Iam going to build his albatross next ,i love flying off water and have been flying off water only for 7 years now. They have to lure back to my club field with free food.lol Here is my build.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60775

obbm
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Those flying on Keuka lake should read this. It is on Keuka Lake

obbm
07-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Those flying on Keuka lake should read this.

obbm
07-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Those flying on Keuka lake should read this. It is on Keuka Lake now. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412424

I had to post three times in order to include a link.

road king 97
07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
That was a nice thread ,my boss is a little nutty and bought a swamp boat with a 300 hp continental motor in it and a carbon fiber 3 bladed prop . He was out on the river last fourth of july and seen a guy doing touch and goes with a water ultrilight and when he came in on tues he wanted me to find him one. I wont cilmb aboard any thing he drives now and i told him a single passenger is the way to go. lmao He had a 38 ft fountain boat with two 502 merks in it and asked if i wanted to get on a intertube behind it . lol I DONT THINK SO lol I have told him that i cant find one so i hope he will give up the thought of flying because he is bad enough on the ground. joe

JackM
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Canandaigua Sky Chiefs holds an annual fun float fly at Honeoye Lake in September. If I have my Cloud Ranger flying on floats I plan on attending.

Jack in Rochester

obbm
07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Here are a couple of videos of the Lazair Electric on Keuka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZmXmVY5rM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YINO0aoSAGg

For you water flyers, this would make a great scale model.

He took it to Oshkosh this week.

Bill