PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning blue foam

JLK
11-10-2005, 12:35 PM
How can I clean the printing off the one side of the 1/4" blue construction foam?
Folks at the field say they use mineral spirits but I've tried regular and odorless without success.
Thanks!
JLK

Mike18
11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I use 90% rubbing alcohol.

Ben-Rod
11-10-2005, 06:31 PM
How can I clean the printing off the one side of the 1/4" blue construction foam?
Folks at the field say they use mineral spirits but I've tried regular and odorless without success.
Thanks!
JLK

A lot of people use denatured alcohol.

Ben

r/c jedi
11-24-2005, 06:15 AM
I used the testors thinner on a rag. just not on the sides...
test a small area, but I swear it works. Add panel lines with
a ruler and sharpie. the foam has a clear plastic layer which
protects it. I love the dumpster....oh.... I mean "found" materials
Dave

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 06:32 AM
Plain 70% cheap isopropyl alcohol will do the job. :)

ForestCam
11-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I wish I could remember the name of this stuff but the surplus store at the local university has a bad habbit of writing the price for computer items directly on the plastic with either a grease pencil or, worst case, a permenent marker. I was there in line once complaining about them doing this and my inability to remove it without damaging the item, another customer told me about this cleaning solution that he swore by but it was a couple of years ago and I can't remember the name.:(

RMS
12-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I use windex and the Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponge. Effortless.

defranci
12-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Goo Gone. Haven't found anything that works better than the spray bottle.

jhgustaf
12-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Seems like there might be a variety of successful ways to clean "Blue Foam". Possibly the reason for so many are that there are several different manufacturers, types of Blue Foam, or types of ink. I use Dow Bluecor P/P and one very effective way to remove the printing from it is with a 50/50 (by volume) mixture of denatured alcohol and acetone. This cleans the surface completely. BUT WATCH OUT! THIS IS A VERY FLAMMABLE MIXTURE AND YOU COULD BE FLYING HIGHER THAN YOUR FOAMIES! It's also not very good stuff to breath, so do it outside! I make a very small quantity (one ounce of each - mixed), dampen an old rag with it, and wipe quickly. Change locations on the rag often or you'll spread removed ink to another area. I can clean a whole panel in 5 - 10 minutes with the 2 ounces of mix. I have occasionally had to go over a 2' x 4' panel with fresh mix to remove last traces of ink.

WingTips24
12-15-2005, 06:00 PM
what is the difference between regular and denatured alchohol. I used isopropal alchohol and the inc did not budge a bit. I use dow blue core foam from Home depot. Glad o see someone was asking this question I been wanting to know the answer to this cause I have had no luck so far.

Tips

JLK
12-15-2005, 06:24 PM
I found something that works great!
The CA glue "debonder".
I believe this is nitromethane.
It takes very little so the small bottle that it comes in will do all the foamies you ever build!
JLK

jhgustaf
12-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Rubbing alcohol contains isopropyl alcohol and about 15% water. A lot of people call it "regular" alcohol, but it is not. Used to dilute an epoxy resin mix, the water can mess it up real good. Regular alcohol is usually considered ethanol and is the "drinking" kind. Denatured alcohol is about 99% ethanol with an additive that makes it very nasty and unsafe to drink and therefore can be sold without a tax stamp. Try a 50/50 mix of Denatured alcohol and Acetone (both available from Home Depot) and they will clean the black printing off of Dow Blue Foam. Please be careful - both of those solvents are very flammable and not good to breath.

Gus

WingTips24
12-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Rubbing alcohol contains isopropyl alcohol and about 15% water. A lot of people call it "regular" alcohol, but it is not. Used to dilute an epoxy resin mix, the water can mess it up real good. Regular alcohol is usually considered ethanol and is the "drinking" kind. Denatured alcohol is about 99% ethanol with an additive that makes it very nasty and unsafe to drink and therefore can be sold without a tax stamp. Try a 50/50 mix of Denatured alcohol and Acetone (both available from Home Depot) and they will clean the black printing off of Dow Blue Foam. Please be careful - both of those solvents are very flammable and not good to breath.

Gus

Gus thank you my friend,.. you know how you get a question buzzing around your head that just needs to be answered. Great info and explanation. Okay windows up and home depo here I come..

Thanks again

Tips

FiveO
01-11-2006, 06:07 AM
WOOT!

The Goo Gone works like a champ!

Thanks for the info!

:D

tallflyer
01-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I have to go with Goo Gone also works like a Champ! put some on a old rag and blot it on the parts with the writing and then just make little circles and the writing comes right off!

FoamFlyer
01-20-2006, 04:17 AM
The plans for my new Obsession says to remove the plastic coating off the bluecore, is there an easy way of doing this without messing up the foam?
Thanks

tallflyer
01-20-2006, 04:23 AM
One Trick is to get a roll of packing tape and use the tape to remove the covering on the foam press it on in long strips and then remove the fil taking off the covering below it!

FoamFlyer
01-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Hey, thanks allot for the info, I will be sure to try that!