PDA

View Full Version : Two new features added

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
There have been two new additional hacks added by Marc and our VB guy.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Thanks Post MOD added to replace the rep system. It is more post oriented and instead of green rep bars, there is a X has been thanks X times in X threads.

Any member can search another members thanked information by looking at the users CP and searching by Thanked posts. Hopefully this one will get used as intended.

Second Hack is a hide signatures MOD.

Signatures have gotten a little on the wild side and can be distracting to some users. A user can turn them on or off by clicking on the Hide signatures or show signatures in the thread at anytime.

As always...give our members more of a choice!

smokejohnson
08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I see "Thanks:" right above "Thanked X Times in X Posts". Right now you are showing 1 Thanks and 2 Thanks in 2 Posts. Is it going to work where every 10 thanked posts gives you 1 more "Thanks" power??

Gohmer
08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
New fearures are fine, but why can't you fix the existing site so you don't have a long wait to navagate from the home page every time you come back to it. Also fix it so you don't have to side scroll to read the pages. RCU and RCG don't have these problems.

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 03:33 PM
We are ironing that out. That might stay..or it might go. I am not to keen on any "Power" or rep associated with it.

Any member can view another members thanked posts by going into anyones public profile and clicking on the view thanked posts and view them all to search through them.

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
New fearures are fine, but why can't you fix the existing site so you don't have a long wait to navagate from the home page every time you come back to it. Also fix it so you don't have to side scroll to read the pages. RCU and RCG don't have these problems.

As I understand it, Marc is researching this still. This is intermittent and not experienced by all users. That makes it much harder to nail down for a solution.

smokejohnson
08-27-2007, 03:38 PM
So the "Thanks:" is the number of times you have given out "Thanks"...right??

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes. Again. that might stay or it might go away. Not sure yet. We are still working through the feature.

Biplane Murphy
08-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks count looks like how many times you have thanked various posts......

Thanked x times in x posts looks like the runnung total of your recieved thank you's......

I like this!!!... very friendly, happy and positive type feature!!!

Mike Parsons
08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I like this!!!... very friendly, happy and positive type feature!!!
I am glad. Still some tweaking to do, but I dont think it will deviate to far from what you see now.

bsoder
08-27-2007, 05:43 PM
It needs to say "Spanked X Times in X Posts" aside from that looks good. ;)

Gohmer
08-28-2007, 01:52 AM
As I understand it, Marc is researching this still. This is intermittent and not experienced by all users. That makes it much harder to nail down for a solution.

Nothing intermittent about it here. Constant every time on my PC that is on dial up, my PC with a broadband connection and my laptop with a cell phone connection.

Mike Parsons
08-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Ok..I have been working for hours trying to break the box I am working on to duplicate the problem. I officially broke it. I get a 2-3 second delay when I hit the homepage before I can scroll down the page.

Now...what in the heck did I do to break it...<makes more coffee>

smokejohnson
08-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Nothing intermittent about it here. Constant every time on my PC that is on dial up, my PC with a broadband connection and my laptop with a cell phone connection.

Maybe he means intermittent in that it does not happen to everybody. I have a 19" monitor, broadband connection, and I use Mozilla Firefox for a web browser and everything works fine for me. I have read several post of guys having the same problems but for me its not an issue. Wattflyer is very user friendly with my set up.

Biplane Murphy
08-28-2007, 03:54 AM
My only problem is the screen is almost always a little to the right when I view each thread. have to use the positioning bar to drag the display left to view the whole post etc....
It is off to the right about where the post# is on each reply.

Grasshopper
08-28-2007, 04:23 AM
So far, I've had no issues at all. No intermittent problems and screen is centered and the correct size. I'm on cable and IE. Works great here. Maybe if it were slower I wouldn't spend so much time on it and my P-47 would be done.

firemanbill
08-28-2007, 04:28 AM
I've got the delay... on cable high speed, always have had... I also have the scroll left right thing... Only here though, no other sites.

aviatordave
08-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Now...what in the heck did I do to break it...<makes more coffee>

I've found beer helps me think...:tc:

aviatordave
08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
How come the threads dont display number of viewers? This was there before wasnt it? Or am I dreaming?

brnyrbbl
08-31-2007, 11:48 PM
How come the threads dont display number of viewers? This was there before wasnt it? Or am I dreaming?
I also thought I have seen that feature. So maybe I'm not dillusional after all :)

brnyrbbl
08-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Second Hack is a hide signatures MOD.

Signatures have gotten a little on the wild side and can be distracting to some users. A user can turn them on or off by clicking on the Hide signatures or show signatures in the thread at anytime.

As always...give our members more of a choice!
I like the idea of hiding signatures, but could it be an option in the User CP instead? That way it's not on the bottom of every post which makes for more scrolling to read them.

Mike Parsons
09-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Dave. I believe it was one of the things I removed while working on the delay issue. Anything that was waiting on a query before loading, I took it off. I am hesitant to fold things back in yet.

I like the idea of hiding signatures, but could it be an option in the User CP instead? That way it's not on the bottom of every post which makes for more scrolling to read them.
Ill see what can be done.

Gnascher
09-01-2007, 04:17 AM
The only way I can get side-scrolling is if I reduce the size of my window. It looks like there's appx 35px. of padding around the main "content area". This means on smaller view ports, the content is skewed 35px to the right, further exacerbating the issue.

It wouldn't surprise me if many folks here are on 800x600 resolution, especially since we've got a fairly high representation of the over 40 crowd. However, it appears that you are optimized for 1024x768 or wider.

I understand the design challenges that have made you lock the min width of the main content area, but you really should at least remove or reduce the padding/margins so that those with lower resolution settings aren't losing an additional 35px of left-side real-estate.