PDA

View Full Version : Your plane may still be repairable, post photo's here!

Saucerguy2
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I hear of people that simply throw out their planes due to some minor stuff that can be fixed. Even though it may look bad on the outside, coming from a builders perspective, it's only a minor set back and at most a couple hours worth of time to repair, sometimes making it better then new.

Technically, unless the plane is a pile of 1/4" pieces of balsa and ply, just about any plane can be repaired. Before you throw out that plane, please post pics of it here, chances are you'll have plenty of people give you advice upon how to fix it, or are willing to take it off of your hands, or even fix it for you.

efinkg
08-30-2007, 04:50 AM
Good call, most planes can be fixed, just step back and give yourself some time to get over the crash. Then look at the plane, chances are it's nowhere near as bad as it seemed.

Gnascher
08-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Rather than cross-post, I'll link to my sad story with a happy ending:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23564

Thanks PD1! I'll be re-maidening on Saturday morning most likely.

Saucerguy2
08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
That old man has alot to teach, I envy you being close enough to hang out with him at his shop, even more so, being able to learn from him first hand.

oimmuk
08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
You did a fine restore on that bird. I always had more fun building and re-building then flying my birds I used to have years ago... If fate is with me I will have the denero to get back into it my mind is awhirl with ideas for planes I want to build. I hope my older attitude will make the flying more fun now...lol.

But back on subject when I looked at your first few pics of the Decth I knew it was a minor, heck it don't even move into major untill you gotta splice the wing at the minimum 4 times...lol.

Gnascher
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
You did a fine restore on that bird. I always had more fun building and re-building then flying my birds I used to have years ago... If fate is with me I will have the denero to get back into it my mind is awhirl with ideas for planes I want to build. I hope my older attitude will make the flying more fun now...lol.

But back on subject when I looked at your first few pics of the Decth I knew it was a minor, heck it don't even move into major untill you gotta splice the wing at the minimum 4 times...lol.

Thanks, but PD1 deserves all the credit. All I did was provide the canvas, he provided the artistry. I've done some other more minor repairs, but nothing that needed so much structure rebuilt.

It's the worst crash I've had yet ... I'm rather proud of that fact considering I'm a self-taught pilot. I've probably got somewhere just over 100 flights now (possibly more as I think about it, but let's stay conservative) ... I think I'm at the 'dangerous' point in my flying education where I'm becoming a little more confident than competent. :ws:

I really thought the damage was more critical than it was ... but watching what PD1 did to put it back in service ... I see that it wasn't really all that bad afterall. Next boo-boo, I'll try and bandage myself.

Saucerguy2
08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
You also learned that you don't need to rush right on out there and get a replacement part, this is going to save you a ton in the long run. It's one of those things people eventually learn, these are not classic muscle cars, it's OK if they aren't stock any more, as long as it functions it's good to go.

firemanbill
08-30-2007, 09:19 PM
My 1st SuperAirliner that I crashed at SEFF...

before/after

I did not even try to repair this one

spitfire
09-01-2007, 12:36 AM
My 1st SuperAirliner that I crashed at SEFF...

before/after

I did not even try to repair this one

wow:), i want that, can i have:ws: it, please!:ws::ws:!!!

tmackel
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Last Sturday my son and I finally maidened our Supersportster. My son did not want to crash it first so he let me do the crash test. We are pretty green when it comes to ailerons so landing was our issue. Getting it up and flying around was no problem. I cartwheeled the plane on landing and thought for sure it was toast. The propeller snapped and the fuse was cracked behind the wing, but still stable and intact. I put on a new prop and told my son it was his turn. He did much better, he did a few loops and rolls, he was nervous about the landing and put it in tall grass which snapped off half the prop. He accidentally hit the throttle before we unplugged the battery and the unbalanced Eflite 15 snapped the front of the plane off.

That night I put the plane back together with 5 minute epoxy and we flew the next day. I did not have any red monokote so we have a few yellow monokote patches.

-Ted

Biplane Murphy
09-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Last Sturday my son and I finally maidened our Supersportster. My son did not want to crash it first so he let me do the crash test. We are pretty green when it comes to ailerons so landing was our issue. Getting it up and flying around was no problem. I cartwheeled the plane on landing and thought for sure it was toast. The propeller snapped and the fuse was cracked behind the wing, but still stable and intact. I put on a new prop and told my son it was his turn. He did much better, he did a few loops and rolls, he was nervous about the landing and put it in tall grass which snapped off half the prop. He accidentally hit the throttle before we unplugged the battery and the unbalanced Eflite 15 snapped the front of the plane off.

That night I put the plane back together with 5 minute epoxy and we flew the next day. I did not have any red monokote so we have a few yellow monokote patches.

-Ted

Glad you got it fixed.......I usually use a different color covering material for repairs....that way I can easily see areas of the plane that have been fixed.... Also it makes themlook battle scarred.:)

tmackel
09-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Glad you got it fixed.......I usually use a different color covering material for repairs....that way I can easily see areas of the plane that have been fixed.... Also it makes themlook battle scarred.:)

I think that if you repair your planes after wrecking them can only make you a better flyer. We had one that almost vaporized and was not worth repairing................but lawn darting a control line plane (WOT) into the pavement is never pretty.

-Ted

Ribcracker
09-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Check out the resurrection of my Funtana. There's always hope!

Gnascher
09-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Check out the resurrection of my Funtana. There's always hope!
Ouchie. Nice rebuild!

phupper
09-13-2007, 03:37 AM
So far I've only got 2 flights out of maybe 4 attempts. I was more than a little nervous as I threw that beautiful, brand new, shiny plane into the air. After the first crash I rebuilt the plane.

The next day I noticed I was much less apprehensive as I threw that hideous piece of crap into the air.

Moral:

After the first crash, I don't worry so much about crashing anymore.:ws:

Gnascher
09-13-2007, 03:43 AM
So far I've only got 2 flights out of maybe 4 attempts. I was more than a little nervous as I threw that beautiful, brand new, shiny plane into the air. After the first crash I rebuilt the plane.

The next day I noticed I was much less apprehensive as I threw that hideous piece of crap into the air.

Moral:

After the first crash, I don't worry so much about crashing anymore.:ws:
So, everybody ... take that shiney new plane and drop it from the roof. :silly:

Or, for only $19.98 (+ $45 s&h), you can ship it to me for my patented "pre-crashing service". I'll ship all the pieces back to you (ok ... all the pieces I can find, or don't need for my own plane) in some nice baggies so you can have the pleasure of rebuilding, and have that fearless re-maiden experience without the trauma of that first crash.

tmackel
09-13-2007, 04:02 AM
So, everybody ... take that shiney new plane and drop it from the roof. :silly:

Or, for only $19.98 (+ $45 s&h), you can ship it to me for my patented "pre-crashing service". I'll ship all the pieces back to you (ok ... all the pieces I can find, or don't need for my own plane) in some nice baggies so you can have the pleasure of rebuilding, and have that fearless re-maiden experience without the trauma of that first crash.

:silly::D

phupper
09-13-2007, 04:07 AM
Say what you will. I had much more fun flying the hideous piece of crap, than I did crashing the beautiful new plane...

But maybe that's just me.

Saucerguy2
09-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Say what you will. I had much more fun flying the hideous piece of crap, than I did crashing the beautiful new plane...

But maybe that's just me.

He he, I hear you. I tell new pilots that no matter how ugly their trainer is, it looks wonderful in the air compared to a nice looking plane they aren't ready for crashed into the ground.

grubbyjeans
09-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I just posted pics of the repair on my SC foamie in the Crash thread.

grubby

Captain
10-01-2007, 06:51 AM
This was the result of my attempt to teach myself to fly a trainer I have had sitting in the garage unbuilt for years. Built it up last winter and only had a couple flights before the wreck. I have since become proficient on a 3 channel Hawk and have been having a blast but this has been a nagging question to rebuild or not. I felt somewhat obliged to rebuild her after spending so much time on it last winter. I have posted on other sites and was convinced to rebuild if I really liked the plane, so here goes!:o

Captain
10-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Those die-cutouts I saved will come in handy for patterns, allready made a new firewall. Wing was not nearly as bad as it looked before I started cleaning it up!

Gnascher
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow, looks like you really spiked that one. Care to share your crash story?

Wing was not nearly as bad as it looked before I started cleaning it up!My first serious crash with a balsa plane looked about as bad as your in terms of fuselage damage, but the wing was unharmed.

It really is amazing at how devastating it looks with all the busted up pieces still attached and laying there like a "bird meets 12-gauge with buckshot at close range" mess in the middle of the field.

Once you strip away the gore ... you really do get a better perspective on the rebuild-ability.

Saucerguy2
10-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Where are the fuse formers, there doesn't seem to be any, I applaud this plane to have survived without them after the crash, I think it's time you put in a few formers since you are now literally digging into it.

Captain
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Came in for lndg way too hot, gave full power go-around, climb, turn crosswind, level, wait- its not level but is it turning away from me our towards me? hard to tell without the sun to my back (needed more bright color on top) Well you guessed it and I choose wrong rolling it over 90deg. low to the ground and just couldnt recover in time. The plane hit hard on the nose and actually bounced up and slide 10-15 feet. Lucky the motor seems fine and electrics are O.K. There was a tank deck turned battery deck that ran the length of the fwd fuselage midway up that took most of the force, its not in the picture. I plan on cutting back to the cabin frame then put on new sides with doublers inside.

Captain
10-02-2007, 02:38 AM
New nose section being fitted together today!

Captain
10-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Finished the fuselage today, even did a test run and everything checked out O.K. except I noticed the prop adapter shaft is bent. Anyone have any ideas to straighten? It seem to run fine with the bent shaft but it should be fixed or replaced. On to the wing!@

pd1
10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Captain, The repair looks real nice.
Can't even tell it's been repaired.

Paul

bsoder
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I know I posted my crash pic on here somewhere but can't remember what thread it was in, so this is as good a place as any... so - before, crashed, repaired. :)

Captain
10-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks pd1, stopped by the LHS for the only supplies I had to buy for this repair (ultracote and wood stock for the leading edge).

Bsoder-The initial carnage looks real bad! Nice repair job, does it fly the same?

bsoder
10-10-2007, 04:15 AM
Bsoder-The initial carnage looks real bad! Nice repair job, does it fly the same?

Don't know yet, hopefully I'll find out this weekend. One more picture :)

pd1
10-10-2007, 11:31 AM
bsoder, Nice repair. Even nicer picture.

Paul

bsoder
10-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Flies great, just like it did before the rebuild. I'm happy. :)

CHELLIE
10-15-2007, 04:16 AM
Flies great, just like it did before the rebuild. I'm happy. :)

I bet the pretty little girl in the picture repaired that plane for you :D Chellie

Saucerguy2
10-15-2007, 08:59 AM
She was instructing him about how to fix the plane the whole time. :)

Captain, bent shafts are the leading cause to mechanical failure throughout the rest of the plane, the vibration just wreaks havvoc on everything, believe me, I push my own way too far and fly with less then stellar shafts all the time only to face the fact, I get less flights between crashes due to it.

I'm ordering extra shafts with every single b/l motor I buy these day's for that reason.

This is turning out to be a good thread, what's alarming is the number of balsa rebuilds shown here, surely we have more foamie ressurections to show.

bsoder
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
She was instructing him about how to fix the plane the whole time. :)

She's female, isn't she? I'd think that was obvious. ;)

This is turning out to be a good thread, what's alarming is the number of balsa rebuilds shown here, surely we have more foamie ressurections to show.

Foamy repair is either 30 seconds with CA, 5 min with epoxy, or go to Safeway and buy another cooler. ;)

Captain
10-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Yep for 5.00$ I figured I would just order a new prop adapter, of course U/H is out of stock! Tower sells the rimfire adapter, I wonder if it would fit on a HXT-35?
Going to wrap up the wing today.

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5497

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/greatplanes/gpmq4900m.html

Captain
10-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Finished my rebuild! I will fly it tommorrow if the weather is good. It sure is nice not seeing that wreck laying around staring me in the face anymore.

pd1
10-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Captain, Excellent rebuild,The plane looks great again.

Paul

CHELLIE
10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Beautiful Job on the rebuild Captain :) take care, Chellie

Saucerguy2
10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Your' repaired plane is actually stronger now. Very good job, I can't wait to hear of the re-maiden.

Sam_K
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM
After my first ever major crash last weekend I now totally understand what you guys mean about giving yourself time to get over the crash before you decide what to do next.

My crash thread is here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25594) and, as you can see from the title, on the day it happened I was convinced it was ready for the bin. But the next day, after AEAJR said it looked like an easy repair, I took another look at it and realised he was right.

I am now partway through the repair job and I'm quite happy to have an excuse to finally upgrade to that brushless motor with custom mount that I've been dreaming about for months now.

Really the only hard (time consuming) part of the repair is going to be fixing the custom cover job which is totally optional but I'll probably do it anyway.

bsoder
10-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Captain, nice fix - looks really good.

One thing I've found useful - bring a trash bag with you when you fly. If you crash, get EVERYTHING, no matter how small - every little bit of balsa, etc. You never know what will be helpful later.

keithmartin
11-14-2007, 02:57 AM
I have a Hellcat that I got on one of the Hobby Lobby crash sales, I really liked the plane, got it put together and did the maiden without any problems. But on the way home, my flight box fell over when I stopped at a red light. It cut the Hellcat into 3 parts just aft of the canopy. Well I was pretty upset. So I put it back together, again and again. Most of the damage has been to the frount end from running into things, it was getting pretty bad but this last time I added fiberglass to the inside of the frount, a new fire wall and silkspan on the outside, did a new paint job, new motor and again she is back in the air. I did lose the canopy and found one that would work

Have a look.

Saucerguy2
11-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Looking good, as I stated before, your plane is now much stronger. I rebuilt the front section of my guillow's108, wing saddle/canopy area rebuilt, this time with solid balsa stock, now removable, added ailerons, ditched most of the dihedral, and it's awaiting for it's next maiden, that wing won't be falling off any more since it's now a one piece unit, it will make a good trainer, and I won't care if someone crashes it, it can now handle it.

Elfi Flyer
11-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Fix This!

Gnascher
11-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Zorks ... what'd you do to that one ... run it over with your lawnmower?

It looks bad ... but get the covering off and it may not be as terrible as you think.

-G

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 03:43 AM
Fix This!

That's... welll..... ummm....... Yikes!:eek:

grubbyjeans
11-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Oh...that'll buff right out! :D

Captain
11-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Well the lipo is for sure a goner.

R.I.P Sparky!

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
My wife got mad at me once, errrrr ok twice.And while I was away took a perfectly good Mini Funtana down from the ceiling in trhe garage.Beat on it with a hammer than danced on the ashes .No i didnt repair it, but it looked worse than Sparky

Elfi Flyer
12-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Here's a couple more........

Bub Steve
12-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Elfi Flyer: why in the world would you let monkey fly your plane?

pd1
12-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Elfi Flyer, When I saw those two all I could think of was a line from the Monty Python, Holy Grail movie.

It's just a scratch.

Paul

Captain
12-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Wow Steve! that was such a cool plane. I follwed it in the other thread and its a shame to see it turn up here! What happened?

Bub Steve
12-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Wow Steve! that was such a cool plane. I follwed it in the other thread and its a shame to see it turn up here! What happened?
I had a ESC go out at low alt, I've had to fly her on one motor before but was eight mistakes high an needed six of um to trim her to fly on one( like fly'in a crab)I un-hooked one power leg to one ESC and She's fine now, not to worry, I needed to do a few mod's anyhoo an she's better than ever now, Beefed a few things, went with BIG lang-gear&wheels( I need mud flaps now!)your bub stevecooper

Captain
12-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Whats that old pilot saying "if you lose one the other will take you to the scene of the crash!"

Elfi Flyer
12-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Old jump school proverb...... when a student asks what to do if the parachute doesn't open...

"Take it back and get a new one!!"