PDA

View Full Version : 2nd style SS Wing Upgrade Build pics

TaSaJaRa
08-07-2005, 07:18 AM
This is the build pics of the slower custom Blue FFF that is made like the faster one here. Faster SS Wing (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222)

Pic 1) Panel cut out using the FF as the leading Edge 12" x 48" making one side a little longer 1/2 inch or so to make up for the airfoil.

Pic 2) You can roll a pizza cuter on the foam about 2" wide to help with the rolling of the foam. Make sure not to press down to hard or you will cut the foam. You just want to crease it.

Pic 3) Use the edge of a table or an edge that has a smooth shape to roll the foam over. Click image for larger version Name: 2-roll edge on table.jpg Views: 1 Size: 27.8 KB Description: Use the edge of a table or an edge that has a smooth shape to roll the foam over.

Pic 4) Do the rolling lightly not the press to hard or you will have crushed spots where your thumb and fingers press.

Pic 5) once you get it rolled for the spar you can messure back 2 inches mark it , then cut the foam just deep enough to peel the plactic flim off where the spar glues down. This way the spar will stick better.

Pic 6) after the spar is glued you need to messure and get a center line to cut the wing in half. About 23 and 7/8" from edge to center. Click image for larger version Name: 5-center line to cut.jpg Views: 1 Size: 34.9 KB Description: after the spar is glued you need to messure and get a center line to cut the wing in half. About 23 and 7/8" from edge to center.

Pic 7) Now that you have the wing cut in half. Lay down something to keep the glue from sticking to your work table when you glue the 2 sides together.

Pic 8) For this wing I used 2" Dihedral. So lift up one side 4" while the other side stays flat. Once glued it will give you 2" per side.

Pic 9) now that you have the 2 sides glued together you can add a small foam strip at the center joint to make it stronger. You can add a carbon fiber spar as the first wing above. Center of the LE & TE. But on this wing I didn't

Pic 10) Remove a strip on the top and bottom so the TE will glue better. Also were the spar will touch the top of the wing.

TaSaJaRa
08-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Pic 11) Put some weight on the panel to hold it down when you glue the spar and TE down on the top panel Click image for larger version Name: 9-weight to glue spar.jpg Views: 0 Size: 76.0 KB Description: Put some weight on the panel to hold it down when you glue the spar and TE down on the top panel

Pic 12) Now on the second side you will need to trim the center to fit the first side you glued down

Pic 13) Side view of wing after the spar and TE are glue

Pic 14) I put a little fiber glass tape on my center line to make it a little stronger, this is up to you how you do it.

Pic 15) Stand the wing up on it's side to cut out an end cap as you see here. You can use a bamboo stick to roll the plactic flim up on to remove before you glue it on

Pic 16) Glue end cap in place. Once glued sand the edge to fit.
Top view of the finished wing. After finished you can cover your wing as you wish. I used colored packing tape on the one above.

Pic 17) Top view of the finished wing. After finished you can cover your wing as you wish. You can use colored packing tape on the wing as I did it the Fast Wing Link above.

Pic 18) LE view of wing. I added a little bamboo sticks to the LE and TE where the rubber bands go so not the crease the foam when mounting the wing to the SS.

This ver. of the SS wing flys a lot like the stock. But without the problem of floating on windy days. Much smoother, but will still go slow when you want to do so.

bc-slowflyer
08-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Tas;

Great build pictures. I'm going to have to cut out some of my FFF and try this.

Thanks;
Rod

fr0g_D
08-11-2005, 01:36 AM
this looks just like building a spad wing.
i have done that before........ lots of times!:eek:

fr0g :D