PDA

View Full Version : Wattflyer Online flight sim.

Saucerguy2
08-30-2007, 12:58 AM
This is another idea that would be a cool feature here. How about an online WF flight simulator. It would be a nice beginning training tool, be loads of fun for the regulars and could be done in a WattFlyer theme. It could be done in shockwave/flash/java, etc. and would have alot of appeal, especially if we could make it multiplayer, where you are able to virtually fly with other members.

xuzme720
08-30-2007, 01:18 AM
This is another idea that would be a cool feature here. How about an online WF flight simulator. It would be a nice beginning training tool, be loads of fun for the regulars and could be done in a WattFlyer theme. It could be done in shockwave/flash/java, etc. and would have alot of appeal, especially if we could make it multiplayer, where you are able to virtually fly with other members.wow! that's a great idea! how cool would that be, a virtual field complete with pits to "shoot the breeze" between flights. sounds like a winner, if it could be done. maybe that's too pie-in-the-sky though...:roll:

firemanbill
08-30-2007, 01:20 AM
If you have G3.5 you can do live online flying with other folk. I think some of the other better ones can do it too... I've never tried it though so I can't speak as to how well it works but that might be a place to give it a go...

I'd be game to try :ws:

Saucerguy2
08-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Coming from an IT background, I know for a fact it can be done, the question is, how much programming it's going to take, which correlates to how expensive it's going to be to pay the programmer. Likely, you as the player will have to download a plug in, but with the vast amounts of online multiplayer games out there as an example, it's very doable.

xuzme720
08-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Coming from an IT background, I know for a fact it can be done, the question is, how much programming it's going to take, which correlates to how expensive it's going to be to pay the programmer. Likely, you as the player will have to download a plug in, but with the vast amounts of online multiplayer games out there as an example, it's very doable.

I'm sorry SG, I should clarify...I know it CAN be done, but can it be done without a too extreme drain on the forum resources, namely money and time...while I am not an IT guy strictly speaking, I am fumbling towards literacy...:roll:

gfdengine204
08-30-2007, 02:50 AM
If you have G3.5 you can do live online flying with other folk. I think some of the other better ones can do it too... I've never tried it though so I can't speak as to how well it works but that might be a place to give it a go...

I'd be game to try :ws:

Bill,
Do you have G3.5? I do; we should do that sometime. :)

firemanbill
08-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Bill,
Do you have G3.5? I do; we should do that sometime. :)

Yes I do Kev! Sounds like fun... Of course this would entail getting out the manual to figure out how to do it...:red:

phupper
08-30-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm thinking bandwidth would be an issue for a multiplayer sim.

Saucerguy2
08-30-2007, 05:01 AM
It might be helpful if we can team up this project with the developers of fms, that would cover alot of ground at once, so it would be a manner of integrating it into an expanded system, just an idea.

I agree, bandwidth is going to be an issue, a dedicated server may be required to set it up.

Nathan
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
That would be cool for sure, but the time and cost in a project of that magnitude is probably not justified.

Saucerguy2
09-02-2007, 12:02 AM
As a web designer, I'd get alot of people wanting some back end scripting to be put in place. In the early days, you'd have to manually program it all in from scratch, now a days, I just send them to places like hotscripts.com tell them to pick something out, and integrate it within their site, so no need to reinvent the wheel. That's my take on seeing if others that have already done alot of the work by developing their own flight sim to get on board with. This way, they are adding onto what they originally created in order to keep the final costs down.

I've never designed a sim or game from scratch, just using a logical approach to it all, otherwise, yeah, to make it from nothing would be a large task that would be difficult to justify expense wise.