PDA

View Full Version : Too many TRex Models!!

pilotwi
08-30-2007, 09:45 PM
I want to build up a TRex 450 in the winter months and have been looking at various models. With the different designations, my mind is awhirl with SE, S, XL, V1 or V2.

Basically I have a 7 CHP with associated 7 channel receiver, and four S3151 gyros. I am not sure if I can use these gyros in this helicopter.

Is it wiser to get a bare bones TRex (please give me the model type!!) or get something with the servos or ESC and go from there.

Any help to organize my noggin would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

paranoia
08-30-2007, 10:01 PM
i got the T-rex 450 SA, which is alrealy 95% assembled. it cost about 150 to 210

futaba's GY401 gyro and digital servo 9650 (you can buy them in a pack for ~200)

three HS-65 hitec servo's ~26ea

A 35amp ESC, i like the castle creations gear.... about $80

BEC power supply, i like the parkBEC (yes you need it!!) ~$20

any 400 or 480 sized brushless motor that turns at 2500 to 4500rpm/volt , i like mega motors so the 16/15/3 is about ~80 ps use 13 or 14tooth gear w/ the 16/15/3

get 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motor....

A 15-20C 2100mAh 3cell lipo, w/ deans Apex are $30, or Thunder power are $80 (same pack)

go fly........

TheBum
08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
It all depends on your budget. If you can afford it, it's definitely worth going to an SE or SE V2. Don't be fooled by the inexpensiveness of the S, SA, and XL (discontinued): they're inexpensive because they use plastic in most places in the head and tail. The parts are cheap to replace, but in a crash you're likely to break more plastic parts than you would metal parts in a more expensive heli, which can make the repair actually cost more than if you had a metal head and tail.

For most people, the SE is sufficient. The SE V2 has some performance enhancements that are worthwhile if you're one of those hot 3D pilots.

photors
09-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Unless you have micro fingers, don't try to build a micro heli from a scratch kit.

FLYBYNIGHT
02-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Building the kit is more than half the fun of it. Besides when...not...if you crash, you'll have a much better understanding of what you're dealing with.all this IMO

Sentertainment
02-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Unless you have micro fingers, don't try to build a micro heli from a scratch kit.

I bought all my heli parts from dif. sellers online and managed to get it put together quite nicely. Although I will say you may want a good allen wrench tool set. ;)

The pre-built ones usually cost a bit more too, depending on how much is built, the kit assembled isn't too bad. But honestly, if you can assemble the kit, I'd say it's better for understanding how to fix/maintain the heli.