PDA

View Full Version : Waco down...

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Well gang it was boud to happen sooner or later... I sure hoped it would be later...:sad:

I was at the field and had just taken off with the waco when this guy fires up a BIG 100cc Edge. I should have went ahead and landed but I've never been one for good judgement. I had made a couple more circuits and was bringing it around to land when I just lost it...

I woul dlike to blame it on interferance, some cosmic asteroid or anything besides the fact that I just plain 'ol dumb thumbed it in. But I just goofed...

It headed towards the woods and for some reason I just couldn't straighten it back out... I think it would have been fine since most of the trees are just little scrub trees but it had to go in between to pretty good size pines.

It is tore up pretty bad but repairable, it will take a while though. Both wings are pretty beat up and the top of the fuse where the center wing struts mount is trashed pretty bad too. All the electronics, motor, esc and batts are good. Whew!

Once I got to it I realized what had happened and I felt about 2 inches tall and my heart sank. Somehow in my haste to get around and land I had hit the dual rate switch to high. I had not even really programmed high rates, I just didn't deprogramm it so to speak and when I hit it they went to full 100% travel. I just couldn't fly it and then i knew why.

So.... I guess my luck finally ran out... It was bound to happen sooner or later... I had just wished it was later...

I was going to fly her first then maiden the Airliner but I sure did not feel like flying after that...

I am a sad, sad, man...:sad::sad::sad:

I'm to heartsick right now for pics so please don't ask...

rea59
09-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry to hear about that Bill..but as you say it's repairable and the expensive electronics survived.

Maybe just replace the airframe?? (I don't know just thinking.)

Hope you have it ready for SEFF.

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Sorry to hear about that Bill..but as you say it's repairable and the expensive electronics survived.

Maybe just replace the airframe?? (I don't know just thinking.)

Hope you have it ready for SEFF.

I am thinking the same thing Ray, I might just do that. The covering is tore up pretty much all over and I'm sure when i get in there real good I'll find a lot more than I can see now. The wings are what would be a pain to fix. The lower wing broke in half, not in the middle though, so the whole left half will need rebuilding...

EEEGADS this makes me even sick to talk about it...:sad:

rea59
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I am thinking the same thing Ray, I might just do that. The covering is tore up pretty much all over and I'm sure when i get in there real good I'll find a lot more than I can see now. The wings are what would be a pain to fix. The lower wing broke in half, not in the middle though, so the whole left half will need rebuilding...

EEEGADS this makes me even sick to talk about it...:sad:

It's only Money..

Let me rephrase that (I just looked it up) It's only a lot of money.:sad:::o

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks Ray... Makes me feel a lot better...:roll:

You are right though... They are only toys after all...

rea59
09-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Maybe salvage what you can and only replace that which needs it??

rea59
09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Hmmm...I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Super Airliner....Win one...Fly for a while...Crash....Buy one.

Waco...Win one...Fly for a while...Crash....Buy one.

It's obvious now that the ones you won were defective.....yea that's it.........at least that's the story I'd use.:roll:

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Well they gave 'em away for a reason... hmmmmmmm

No, I wish I could blame this on someone else but I can't... The Airliner yeah... this one... not so much.

Karma maybe huh?!

rea59
09-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Well they gave 'em away for a reason... hmmmmmmm

No, I wish I could blame this on someone else but I can't... The Airliner yeah... this one... not so much.

Karma maybe huh?!

It does have it's way of catching up to you.

It'll come back around though.:)

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah it just sucks ya know?! That is one really sweet plane...

It will be again though.. I'll have to rename her the Phoenix though... oh wait... I already did that with the airliner...:red:

Grasshopper
09-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Geez Bill, I'm really sorry to hear that. Take a few days away from it then go back and look it over. You'd be surprised what can be rebuilt. It's balsa and Monokote type covering isn't it? Look at it this way, all the expensive stuff that you paid for is still good so you're not out any money right? So, start stripping it down and slowly rebuilding it over the winter. It shouldn't cost too much for some balsa, ply, glue and covering materials and you still have a really nice plane. I'm sure any help you need you can get here on the forum too.

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks Tom, I plan on doing that, staying away from it anyway... I an't hardly bring myself to look at it at the moment anyway...

I have never really built one, I can sure take 'em apart though... I guess now is as good a time as any to learn huh?!

Grasshopper
09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks Tom, I plan on doing that, staying away from it anyway... I an't hardly bring myself to look at it at the moment anyway...

I have never really built one, I can sure take 'em apart though... I guess now is as good a time as any to learn huh?!

Surely if you can run in to a burning building or up to an airplane on fire, you can glue some wood together.:Q

firemanbill
09-02-2007, 11:19 PM
well when you put it that way...

simibill
09-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your waco Bill.

Don Sims
09-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Dang Bill, that stinks! Hope you bring it back in time for SEFF!

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks Guys... and Don if I have to pay somebody to do it I'll have it ready for SEFF!

Maybe I can even learn to fly by then...:red:

pd1
09-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Gee Bill, sorry to hear this.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Paul

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 01:06 AM
thanks Paul.

Murocflyer
09-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Oh man Bill, I am really sorry to hear that. That's terrible news for sure. My heart sank just reading the title. I hope once you get into it, it's not too bad and you'll get it repaired soon enough.

It happens that for sure, all too often I'm afraid. I heard someone say, never get too attached to your airplanes, no matter how much they cost. I know, shallow words, but I do feel for you Bill. I know how hard it can be.

Good luck in the repair effort.

Frank

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Oh man Bill, I am really sorry to hear that. That's terrible news for sure. My heart sank just reading the title. I hope once you get into it, it's not too bad and you'll get it repaired soon enough.

It happens that for sure, all too often I'm afraid. I heard someone say, never get too attached to your airplanes, no matter how much they cost. I know, shallow words, but I do feel for you Bill. I know how hard it can be.

Good luck in the repair effort.

Frank

Thanks Frank. I may be calling on you for help Bud!

Murocflyer
09-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks Frank. I may be calling on you for help Bud!

Anything you need Bill, I'm here for ya.

Frank

Biplane Murphy
09-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Sorry to hear about that pretty bipe.... Hope you fix her up.....
You are not alone in the bipe wrecking boat...
I had a bit of a crash landing with my SE5a yesterday.... Have to fix the lower wing (again).....second time I've broken that wing in half.....:<

aviatordave
09-03-2007, 02:28 AM
eeeks.

ouch.

Let it sit a day or so and it will come to you whether to rebuild it or cut your losses.

I've ben there myself, often better to just let it sit and think about it for a few days.

good luck

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 02:39 AM
I hate to hear that too Murph bit it does help... At least I know I'm not the only one...

Good advice guys to let her sit. I can't bear to look at it right now anyway...

smokejohnson
09-03-2007, 02:41 AM
My condolences for your loss Bill...I hope you can piece it back together and enjoy it once again. OK it's not that serious but I know it sucks and I hated reading it. I'm sure you will have it in the air again soon and better than new.

xuzme720
09-03-2007, 03:07 AM
hey Bill, I was really sad to read that. but if it's built up, it can be fixed. no doubt. even if you get someone else to do it. but if you don't look at the whole thing all at once, just concentrate on a small section at a time, I'm sure you'll be able to get her back in the air! just take some time first, you both deserve that...

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 03:11 AM
Thanks again everyone.

I cannot tell you how good it makes me feel to hear you all say the things you have.

Once again you all are the reason Wattflyer is so great!

Bub Steve
09-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Date Line!! Bills Luck Run's Out!!!nether-words Freeze Over And Lotto Industries Panic!!!!!!!!THIS REPORTER HAS HEARD FROM UNNAMED SOURCE'S THE HIS NEW PARKZONE CESSNA 210 CENTURION RTF IS IN THE MAIL!!! SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT GREAT LOOK'IN PLANE MAY SHE COME BACK BETTER THAT EVER , your bub, stevecooper

spitfire
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
bill, if you can't fix it i might be able to fix it for you, if
you want.

max2112
09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks again everyone.

I cannot tell you how good it makes me feel to hear you all say the things you have.

Once again you all are the reason Wattflyer is so great!

I agree 100% with that Bill.
I am sorry to read that the old proverbial bear got the WACO instead of the other way 'round.

I bet the Sharkster could give some good re-building advice!:ws:

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Spit but I'll give it a go and see what I can do with her.

I got all the covering off the bottom wing today and it's not too bad. Will need to cut and shape the 3 centermost ribs of the right side. The left side is fine.

The top wing is another story... It'll be a while on that one.:sad:

rea59
09-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks Spit but I'll give it a go and see what I can do with her.

I got all the covering off the bottom wing today and it's not too bad. Will need to cut and shape the 3 centermost ribs of the right side. The left side is fine.

The top wing is another story... It'll be a while on that one.:sad:

Now Bill you know you were supposed to wait and relax a couple of days before torturing yourself.:roll::Q

Glad to see your able to get to it.

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I couldn't resist Ray,

It helped to get the welder out this morning and fix the daughters trampoline... One of the leg brackets had broken off...

Manly tools and getting to use them are good therapy!:Q

I was feeling much better after that so I got into it...

crxmanpat
09-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Hmmm, methinks this is a ploy by Bill to knock us off course in our efforts to "relieve" him of the WACO. Why do you think there are no pictures, hmmm? Sounds a little too fishy if you ask me. :D

But seriously, sorry to hear about the crash Bill. I wish we could all get back our dumbthumb mistakes. But like they say, if you're not crashing, you're not flying. :)

Good luck getting her back together if that's the route you take. And don't worry, your new Cessna 210 is on the way soon. ;)

CHELLIE
09-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I know how you feel Bill, I just finished building a GP Ultimate Bi Plane, had a K&B 61 in it, I bought a brand new Airtronics Computer Radio for insurance, had it up inth air, and my radio went out on me, had little control over the plane then none, only a few mins into the flight, it was a beautiful plane, took me over a month to build it from a kit, No more Airtronics radios for me, Reasemble that Waco and put it back up in the Air, where it belongs :ws: Take care, Chellie

http://www.gravesrc.com/photos/GPMA0240-2.jpg

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 01:00 AM
ahhh see I knew we were kindred spirits Chellie! LOL... I hate that for you too. You had a lot in that one too, Hurts don't it? I have a foamy Ultimate from Ultrafly... It is a good flyer and a lot of fun.

It will be back, better than ever!

I got the covering off the top wing... ouch... I'm gonna need the plans for that one...

Anybody know where I can find a set of Pica plans for the Waco?

spitfire
09-04-2007, 01:44 AM
ahhh see I knew we were kindred spirits Chellie! LOL... I hate that for you too. You had a lot in that one too, Hurts don't it? I have a foamy Ultimate from Ultrafly... It is a good flyer and a lot of fun.

It will be back, better than ever!

I got the covering off the top wing... ouch... I'm gonna need the plans for that one...

Anybody know where I can find a set of Pica plans for the Waco?

no, but if you have all the pieces you might be able to make a pattern.

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 01:56 AM
I can reproduce the busted ribs no problem, The trouble is both halves of the upper wing are trashed in the center where they attach to each other. I dont have the mirror image of the other side to go on.

I am thinking they have to be pretty similar to the lower one so I may be able to go off of it.

I'm still at the data gathering phase right now. Back to work tomorrow so it'll be the end of the week before I do any more with it.

Bub Steve
09-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Maybe all those bugs you flew through a few weeks ago ganged up on ya? if You need any balsa let me know, your bub, scoooper

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 02:45 AM
can't blame the bugs on this one Steve, not that I thought about that! I have tried to come up with a million reasons to avoid the real one, which is I screwed up...

Thanks for the offer Steve! You're the best! I flew the slowstick for a while today... That helped me feel better too...:ws:

Bill

xuzme720
09-04-2007, 03:38 AM
hey Bill. I found some pics of the bare bones wings of a smaller Waco. I doubt they will help but just in case...

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 03:52 AM
can't blame the bugs on this one Steve, not that I thought about that! I have tried to come up with a million reasons to avoid the real one, which is I screwed up...

Thanks for the offer Steve! You're the best! I flew the slowstick for a while today... That helped me feel better too...:ws:

Bill

Blame the Monkey....

It works for everyeone else.

CHELLIE
09-04-2007, 03:56 AM
OMG, just look at all those little pieces of balsa glued up, Now i remember why I like foam so much :ws: ;-) take care, Chellie

efinkg
09-04-2007, 05:39 AM
Maybe here? Looks like it has what you need. http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Maybe here? Looks like it has what you need. http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/

Thanks, I looked at that one. Good info. AMA has plans and I may go that route.

spitfire
09-04-2007, 01:48 PM
OMG, just look at all those little pieces of balsa glued up, Now i remember why I like foam so much :ws: ;-) take care, Chellie

i like foam too, when i finish my spitfire:roll: i will probably not hardly ever go back:Q

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Oddly enough, I feel almost the opposite.

I have been playing with foam, but would like to do some balsa.

I won't give up on either one, I think both have a place in my hangar.

spitfire
09-04-2007, 02:05 PM

me too, but if you want to get a model (scratch-build) fast, use foam, because balsa takes so much patients/time, now if you want a winter time project, use balsa, because you not going to be done in two days:roll:

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I looked at that one. Good info. AMA has plans and I may go that route.

Bill have you tried to contact Cox to see if they will help you?

I'm getting to where I hate working on foam. Balsa is so much nicer to work with and you can actually sand it without little balls rolling up on it. As I worked on my E-Flite P-47 this weekend I seriously considered putting my Ultrafly P-40 up for sale. I really really dislike working with foam and am convinced that balsa flys better too. Although I will admit it tends to break up a little worse when it crashes. I can live with that.

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
As I worked on my E-Flite P-47 this weekend I seriously considered putting my Ultrafly P-40 up for sale. I really really dislike working with foam and am convinced that balsa flys better too.

I'll give you ten bucks!

spitfire
09-04-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm getting to where I hate working on foam. Balsa is so much nicer to work with and you can actually sand it without little balls rolling up on it. As I worked on my E-Flite P-47 this weekend I seriously considered putting my Ultrafly P-40 up for sale. I really really dislike working with foam and am convinced that balsa flys better too. Although I will admit it tends to break up a little worse when it crashes. I can live with that.

$15 bucks

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Keep going guys.

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
30, and that's my final offer!

spitfire
09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
$35

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
$30!

And a banana!

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey spitfire, what part of GA are you in?

Come join us at the Hodge's Hobbies All Electric Fall Fly In at the end of the month.

spitfire
09-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Hey spitfire, what part of GA are you in?

Come join us at the Hodge's Hobbies All Electric Fall Fly In at the end of the month.
Atlanta

i will look into it

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM
They are having a fly in this weekend up by you.

Warbirds over Atlanta. Details here... www.gmarc.com.

More dates for local events can be found at the Hodge's Hobbies Calendar (http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/eventcalendar.htm).

spitfire
09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
They are having a fly in this weekend up by you.

Warbirds over Atlanta. Details here... www.gmarc.com (http://www.gmarc.com).

More dates for local events can be found at the Hodge's Hobbies Calendar (http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/eventcalendar.htm).

i'll go if i have a model ready by then. and if mom lets me

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
See if you can order up a combat plane.

Or build one.

We had a blast doing combat this past weekend.

oh, right, sorry about the waco (need to keep this on topic)

spitfire
09-04-2007, 06:35 PM
See if you can order up a combat plane.

Or build one.

We had a blast doing combat this past weekend.

oh, right, sorry about the waco (need to keep this on topic)

ok, well i just wiped this up and i am not done but here's some pics

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Taken care of!:Q

Spoke to Jim at Cox and what I need will be in house in about 2 weeks.;-)

Biplane Murphy
09-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Sweet!!!!!.......... Glad to hear the Waco will be ready for us to steal soon.:Q;-):Q

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah me too... I mean ummm... well I'll just be glad to have her back in one piece

It's amazing how big and lonely my garage has looked all weekend!:sad:

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I can't believe that the Barbed Wire Bikini Team let it crash in the first place....

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 09:31 PM
They were on a break I guess... darn unions!;-)

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey Bill, I have an idea. Why don't you send the Waco to me, I'll look it over, rebuild it and have it all tested and ready to go for you at SEFF? Yea...that's it. It would work out for you not having to deal with that nasty balsa wood and help me by giving me a break from this nasty foam on my P-47.

So, I'll PM you my address. It should be easier to ship now (sorry, had to do that) and I'll even pay the shipping. Because...that's just the guy I am.

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey Bill, I have an idea. Why don't you send the Waco to me, I'll look it over, rebuild it and have it all tested and ready to go for you at SEFF? Yea...that's it. It would work out for you not having to deal with that nasty balsa wood and help me by giving me a break from this nasty foam on my P-47.

So, I'll PM you my address. It should be easier to ship now (sorry, had to do that) and I'll even pay the shipping. Because...that's jsut the guy I am.

How swell! You're the best Tom. I wouldn't want to put that burden on you though as I just am not the kind of guy to put somebody out like that. I mean it would take time away from your family, heck you'd even have to stay away from Wattflyer what with all the hours of labor you'd be putting in on it...

No, I think I'll just have to endure and take my lumps...

:Q:Q:Q

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Ok, but don't say I never offered to help. Now, where's that nasty old foam plane I've been working on?

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
They were on a break I guess... darn unions!;-)

what do onions have to do with this?

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
So, I'll PM you my address. It should be easier to ship now (sorry, had to do that) and I'll even pay the shipping. Because...that's just the guy I am.

What can we say? It was worth a try...

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
What can we say? It was worth a try...

I kind of figured it would go that way Monkey.

firemanbill
09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
what do onions have to do with this?

onions have nothing to do with it at all fm... Time for some reading glasses?:roll::Q

Bub Steve
09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
firemanbill::If this old, blind wind bag can fix em, Anyone can!!Epoxy instead of CA gives you a few moments to " get it strait" an will help with the "OH CRAP!!!"factor, less jig-work an set up too, ( bug juice works too!!)your bub, stevecooper

spitfire
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
$35

going once!

rea59
09-04-2007, 10:34 PM

As much as I really hate to do this I'm going to agree with the Monkey.:blah: I love the combat foamy I bought and have since built another one from scratch.:$ I've also started on a profile 3D plane.:ws: That said the scale looks and flight performance of balsa can't be beat.:ws: (not to mention the much more worthwhile crashes):< While spending months at a time on a balsa project I can always take a few days off and have a foamy built.:ws:

Taken care of!:Q

Spoke to Jim at Cox and what I need will be in house in about 2 weeks.;-)

Jim's great I knew he'd come through for you.:ws:

spitfire
09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
going once!
going twice!

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
going twice!

Going............to be waiting a long time for it at that price.:Q

crxmanpat
09-04-2007, 10:47 PM
LOL Tom!

I like both balsa and foam (even though I'm practically a GWS Spokesperson! :D). I don't descriminate, I crash all my planes equally. :Q:Q:Q

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
30 bucks and TWO bananas?

Biplane Murphy
09-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey Tom...... How about Monkey versus Spitfire Cage match? No rules and fight to the death... winner gets the plane...:Q:Q:Q

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey Tom...... How about Monkey versus Spitfire Cage match? No rules and fight to the death... winner gets the plane...:Q:Q:Q

I'm in! We'll do it at SEFF and post the videos on Wattflyer.

spitfire
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM

what!

spitfire
09-04-2007, 11:17 PM
well i don't want to hert FM, lets have a rc combat! using somthing of FMs and this...

gfdengine204
09-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Bill,

Been kinda busy, and just saw this thread for the first time. Holy crap. Of course, it's bound to happen to you and I. As firemen, we are made to destroy, not build. :) (OK, wheres my pike pole, there's a window somewhere neads a-breakin')

I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble. I am sure you'll do just fine.

Now if I could just get my props to get my planes back in working order.....<sigh>

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah AND I broke that 20 dollar prop too!:sad:

We had just talked about that and then I went out and done it...:sad:

remind me to not talk about breakin it once I get 'er fixed!:Q

FlyingMonkey
09-05-2007, 01:04 AM
well i don't want to hert FM, lets have a rc combat! using somthing of FMs and this...

Lets not hijack the thread. If you want to talk about abusing the monkey....

Well, there IS a thread for that.

Biplane Murphy
09-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Hi Bill.... Are they sending you plans? or a new wing?

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 02:56 AM
A new wing Murph, and the rest of it to go with it...;-) For a nominal fee this time around though!

Biplane Murphy
09-05-2007, 03:05 AM
A new wing Murph, and the rest of it to go with it...;-) For a nominal fee this time around though!

Right on.....I looked on their website yesterday, but no spare parts listing, so didn't mention it.....Good ole phone calls.....Makes the difference!!!

That'll make the repair super easy!!!;-)

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Right on.....I looked on their website yesterday, but no spare parts listing, so didn't mention it.....Good ole phone calls.....Makes the difference!!!

That'll make the repair super easy!!!;-)

Yeah it should simplify things quite a bit.

I weighed the options... money, time, frustraion, skill level at building. etc. and just felt like this would be easiest for me in the long run. More expensive? yeah, less frustrating? sure. Better end result? most definately!:Q

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 03:30 AM
ok here are the pics... It still hurts to look at these...:sad:

The damage to the fuse was caused by the wing support crushing down .

The wings... the wings lost the battle with the pine trees...

smokejohnson
09-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Ouch that hurts.

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Yes... Yes it does...

FlyingMonkey
09-05-2007, 03:35 AM
You're better off than the guy from this weekend.

Killed his plane on maiden day...

I saw the pieces in the trash later...

Grasshopper
09-05-2007, 03:36 AM
Man Bill that sucks. What have you got against those free planes anyway?

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 03:40 AM
I dunno Tom... I thinks that's why I've decided to "buy" a new one. I seem to do better with planes I actually have to pay for...:Q

Now my son on the other hand... He won that Stryker at hodges last fall and it is still going strong... He "Highly" recommended that if I want to continue the enjoyment of flying one I should "Buy" my own...

I think it makes him nervous when I fly it knowing it is of them there "free' ones!:Q

Bub Steve
09-05-2007, 04:46 AM
firemanbill:: I see a wing tip to mirror and plenty of rib's to finish templates from, Should'nt be to bad to make right, She looks the same color top & bottom, Biplanes are SOOOOO easy to disorient May-be a new color on the bottom ( or top) I lost my Se5a twice against the tree-line (green's a bad idea!) a few times I could'nt figger out whitch way she was go'in but lucked out, Now with catapiller yellow bottom ( scale guys have a hissie fit when they see her) and a brite white top with a Rudoff the red nose, I know which way she's-a-go'in even if it ain't where I want her to go! you bub, stevecooper

firemanbill
09-05-2007, 05:03 AM
That is very true Steve. It is easy to get disoriented with it.

My C-130 is like that too. All green! I tend to fly it really high above the treeline!:roll::ws:

Rabbitcreekok
09-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Just saw this thread, Bill. Until I saw the photos, I just knew it was a ruse to get us off the track to steal the WACO. It really did it in. By using the new wing, you will save some weight over repairing the old wings. Sometimes repairs add more weight than one realizes.

Sorry about the damage but I know you will get her in the air soon. Now that you have actually had to pay for something, you probably won't crash again. At least not soon. Maybe not bad. We all crash eventually, don't we?:tc:

Slowjohn
09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
So Sorry to hear about your Waco Bill. The others are right though. Let it sit for a while, fly something else that's relaxing to fly and when your ready take the plunge.
Sunday morning on a maiden I totaled a plane that I'd spent close to 3 yrs. off and on building it. It was a design off the top of my head, no plans or drawings or even pictures to go by but I knew what I wanted. The take-off was great and only required a few clicks of R. aileron trim and a click or two of down trim. It was very quick to respond, very crisp in the few maneuvers I tried. I was so pleased with it. So one minute or so into the maiden I did a large loop and then a aileron roll. Everything was just right I was thinking so I decided to see just how tight of a loop it'd do and that was the end of it. The right wing folded at about 150' up. I throttled back and tried to save it but it just seemed to spin faster and plummet faster till it hit. I knew it wouldn't be worth repairing before I even got to it and I was right. But what really made me sick was after I got home and was looking it over I found that the cause was my own fault. I had failed to fully box in the spars on that side but what really hurt was when I found the bent shaft on my brushless Jeti Phasor 30/3 inrunner. Is there anyway to get it replaced or somewhere I can send it to be repaired? It's several yrs. old but it still ran great.
Hope you can rebuild your Waco easy enough. Maybe one of the other experienced members of your club will give you a hand with it.

Good Luck &
Standing By,
SJ

Oops, ok, so I was still half asleep when I posted and I didn't see or read the other pages before I posted. Looks as if you have got it under control there Bill. What are you going to do with the wreckage?
SJ

spitfire
09-06-2007, 01:43 AM
hay bill sense your not going to fix your waco, can i have it? please.

firemanbill
09-06-2007, 01:46 AM
You didn't read the whole thing Spit. I'm just not going to fix it right away... I'm still going to fixit up but take my time. I am going to let my boy have it.

spitfire
09-06-2007, 01:55 AM
You didn't read the whole thing Spit. I'm just not going to fix it right away... I'm still going to fixit up but take my time. I am going to let my boy have it.

oh,:{ then can i help you? i am really good with this kind of stuff

firemanbill
09-06-2007, 02:03 AM
I think we are just going to use it as a learning experience for my son.

I have a couple of Master builders in my club willing to lend a hand and put us on the right path.

I appreciate the offer though.:ws:

spitfire
09-06-2007, 02:05 AM
I think we are just going to use it as a learning experience for my son.

I have a couple of Master builders in my club willing to lend a hand and put us on the right path.

I appreciate the offer though.:ws:

any time bill:ws:

Mr. Baggins
09-12-2007, 04:07 AM
I dropped by and checked out the Waco carnage tonight. Fuse looks good enough but Bill's got quite a few nights and #11 blades to get that wing back in shape. Sad sight but the big dog has another new shiny one on the way so plenty of time for that.

Great to see you and the little guy again Bill

firemanbill
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
you too Bill, glad you stopped by.:ws:

firemanbill
09-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Well the deal has been struck!

The new one is on the way! :D

Jim said they got 40 of them in this morning and 37..., well 38 now, have been sold already!

Grasshopper
09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Well the deal has been struck!

The new one is on the way! :D

Jim said they got 40 of them in this morning and 37..., well 38 now, have been sold already!

Just how many did you buy Bill? You need to go easy here, this "Buying a Plane" concept is all new to you.:D

firemanbill
09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
I know! ;-) It feels kind of weird... he asked for my card number and I said "what for?":D:D

I did a really good deal though!:D

Grasshopper
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I know! ;-) It feels kind of weird... he asked for my card number and I said "what for?":D:D

I did a really good deal though!:D

You know since you got such a good deal, you could have bought all of us one too. Or, at least just me.:Q

Biplane Murphy
09-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Just how many did you buy Bill? You need to go easy here, this "Buying a Plane" concept is all new to you.:D

I think he was tired of us trying to steal the Waco, and he is sending each of us one as a bribe to leave his alone.....:)....Thanks Bill..;-)

firemanbill
09-14-2007, 11:28 PM
He's got 2 left... You want his number?:ws:

firemanbill
09-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I think he was tired of us trying to steal the Waco, and he is sending each of us one as a bribe to leave his alone.....:)....Thanks Bill..;-)

Oh you are very welcome... let us all know when you get yours!;-):D

Grasshopper
09-14-2007, 11:29 PM
He's got 2 left... You want his number?:ws:

I'd love to have one but I can't afford all the other stuff you have to buy to finish it.:(

firemanbill
09-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I'd love to have one but I can't afford all the other stuff you have to buy to finish it.:(

Yeah ummm... I've already got all that!:o:D

spitfire
09-15-2007, 12:00 AM
can i have one, as a bribe, i mite steel yous if you don't;-)

firemanbill
09-15-2007, 12:06 AM
can i have one, as a bribe, i mite steel yous if you don't;-)

I will be watching it very, very close....;-):D too many of these yahoo's and hooligans around here that are already on the prowl!

Bub Steve
09-15-2007, 02:40 AM
Bill-Bub:::no need to give me one Bill, I'd rather fly yours so I don't have to sort though the bag of whats left of it when I get home!!I've been walk'in to my fly'in field per blown head-gasket (fixed now) I mod'ed my wheelbarrow Load an go!! I load em back in with a shovel!! your bub, scoooper

Biplane Murphy
09-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Bill-Bub:::no need to give me one Bill, I'd rather fly yours so I don't have to sort though the bag of whats left of it when I get home!!I've been walk'in to my fly'in field per blown head-gasket (fixed now) I mod'ed my wheelbarrow Load an go!! I load em back in with a shovel!! your bub, scoooper

Nice wheel Steve.....:)

firemanbill
09-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Now there's a man that loves to fly! Whatever it takes eh Steve?!:D

Bub Steve
09-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Bill::little less than a 1/2 mile to wheel em over there ( 300 yards as the crow would go!!)With the weather been'in so great I gotta go,I'd take the TR3A but theres NO ROOM! your bub stevecooper

firemanbill
09-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Bill::little less than a 1/2 mile to wheel em over there ( 300 yards as the crow would go!!)With the weather been'in so great I gotta go,I'd take the TR3A but theres NO ROOM! your bub stevecooper

WOW! boy ain't that nice! get it, and put a hitch on, it pull your lil wagon!:D

Bub Steve
09-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Bill:Travesty!!! Brit push not pull, ( it's has something to do with cricket?)never did figger that one out, your bub, stevecooper

firemanbill
09-15-2007, 03:41 AM
yeah well were not British now are we!:silly: Or are you?!;-):D

Bub Steve
09-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Bill::They don't make TV's or ESC's cause they can't figger out how to make em leak oil! but they got some nice airplanes! your bub, stevecooper

firemanbill
09-15-2007, 04:02 AM
LMAO! true! very true!