PDA

View Full Version : Battle with a hawk. The hawk won.

fisch13
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
This morning i was out flying my E starter in my back yard. I live at the edge of a cliff here that looks out onto the wheat fields of the palouse. Normally a perfect place to fly with thermals to play around in because of the wind. Well this morning a hawk was soaring around and i decided it was a good idea to chase him around a bit. He left the area and I went back to flying. As I was on my approach from about 100 feet out roughly 50 feet in the air he dived in and smacked my plane. Well it caused a malfunction in my elevator and my plane to go into 4 loops and dive straight into the ground. So much for messing with the hawk. I guess i will need to pick up a new plane this weekend. I was looking for something with some more speed and some more aerobatic capabilities but roughly using the same gear maybe a low wing type of plane. Any suggestions welcome. Also looking for something pretty cheap around 60 bucks as i am a college student.

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 09:54 PM
How cool is that... well not that it tore up your plane, but I bet it was a sight to see!

I guess it doesn't pay to mess with mother nature huh?!:Q:roll:

How good at were you at flying this one...? Give us a bit more background on your skill set and some folks can throw some good recommendations out there.

Oh and welcome to Wattflyer!

fisch13
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I was pretty decent at it. I could fly the plane inverted. Pretty tough to do with this plane as its a trainer. Like i said I have been flying for about 8 years so I got a pretty good jump on the cross over from gliders and what not. I only the crashed the plane once before this one and that was because i forgot to check the cg and the control throws were not even close. Oh and before the hawk incident i was trying to hover the e starter but at high altitude.

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh I didn't see where you said you had been flying that long, still don't, but anyway....

What motor do you have in it. A good plane is the Mini Ultra stick, still a high wing but not much dihedral in the wing at all, if any. She is quick, agile, and a good areobat.

If you have the stock brushed motor in the estarter though it won't be enough for it.

Anything that is a more high performance is going to take more motor though.

fisch13
09-03-2007, 10:12 PM
My bad i thought i had said that. I got a Emax 2822 in it and am running 3 cell lipos. Thanks for the suggestion i will have to check it out. Thanks. Oh and it was pretty cool to watch all my neighbors have been coming over asking about it. At least if i was going to lose a plane i lost it in a pretty cool way. Thanks

firemanbill
09-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah what a story! Best of luck to you! Let us know how it turns out.:ws:

fisch13
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
will do thanks.

fr4nk1yn
09-03-2007, 11:21 PM
YAY! I love when nature wins! Sorry it's a vegetarian thing.
Try a Formosa next. That's what I went to after the E-Starter.

Strange in a way. I had a "thing" come after my plane earlier today.
I'm not sure what it was but it looked like a large pigeon.
I thought it was just flying by until it turned after me. It took quite a few rolls and loops before it finally flew away.

fisch13
09-03-2007, 11:36 PM
ya the one that attacked mine dove from quite aways up and hit with a good amount of speed. It all happened pretty quick and I tried to roll away from it but the E starter on approach was no match for a hawk. I was thinking about the formosa but I was thinking of going back to balsa. I don't like how quickly the foam planes get hangar rash and I think covering them looks sorta weird. I still got a week til i can visit a hobby store so i got some time to ponder.

CustomCougar
09-17-2007, 02:19 AM
ya the one that attacked mine dove from quite aways up and hit with a good amount of speed. It all happened pretty quick and I tried to roll away from it but the E starter on approach was no match for a hawk. I was thinking about the formosa but I was thinking of going back to balsa. I don't like how quickly the foam planes get hangar rash and I think covering them looks sorta weird. I still got a week til i can visit a hobby store so i got some time to ponder.

I also would recommend a Formosa. Get the low wing thing down pat with a repairable foamy. You can always 'glass the high wear areas to prevent most hanger rash. I love the way the Formosa flys (just got a 2nd one). I've never flown balsa, but have read many posts from balsa plane flyers praising the 'Mosa.

CustomCougar
09-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Oh....and save those E-Starter parts. Put it back together as 2nd plane. I retired mine over a year ago after it was repaired so many times that I thought it would never fly good again.
But recently, I did a frame up restoration and got it flying again, surprisingly good. Used if for practice painting and other experiments like spackling, balsa reinforcement etc. It lives again!

Ribcracker
09-17-2007, 02:43 AM
The Great Planes Mini Super Sportster is only $75. I think it's a great low-wing aileron trainer with very good manners. And...it's balsa!