PDA

View Full Version : Of birds and trees...

WishIWasAPunkRocker
09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Just a quick post and a couple of pictures of a recent series of unfortunate events that I thought I'd share with you all.

As Marchino has posted elsewhere on this forum, I chanced to meet him at his flying field as I have kind of adopted it as well. Marchino was a little unfortunate with his SC, however latter that same day, I beat him hands down in the Mother Nature/Gravity vs. Super Cub Stakes...

After leaving the flying field I went to a family lunch, then down to a local school with a large oval to have a bit more fun with the SC with my two nephews. As luck would have it, after throwing it into the air, four magpies swooped down from on high and started doing the most amazing aerobatics around the plane - it was an absolute spectacle, something I've never seen before and real Discovery Channel stuff (the magpies were protecting there nests from this perceived intruder). One of them in particular even left small peck marks in the tail.

Needless to say, the kids loved it and as soon as the first battery was dead we bought her in for a second and a third run - and that’s when it all started going wrong...

Just as the last battery started to die the persistant one went hell for leather at it and I rolled out of the way - straight into the very top of a 20m (60ft) gum tree... and there it stayed.

For the rest of the day we entertained ourselves with throwing (and losing to the tree) footballs, tennis balls, shackles with string tied onto them, rocks, etc at it. The tree wasn't climbable - no branches until at least 10 meters up - and even if we could, the branches it was stuck in wouldn’t have supported a person any way. Night came, and the SC spent the night in the wild...

The next day, we went down with my older nephews 20 pound bow and shot arrows over it with string attached in an attempt to snag the branch it was on and bring it down. As silly as this may seem it worked to a point and we succeeded in dislodging it - only to have the wind blow it down while we were setting up for another shot. No one was watching and it hit the ground with the result you see...

End score: Mother Nature: 2 footballs, 1 netball, 1 shackle, about 20 meters of string (biodegradable) and two arrows.

Us: 1 broken Super Cub...

She wins again - can still here the Maggie’s laughing...

Grasshopper
09-04-2007, 05:23 PM
That looks like that one little branch just reached out and grabbed it.

spitfire
09-05-2007, 12:33 AM
are you planing on rebuilding it?

it looks real easy to fix, if you don't want to fix it i can, and if you don't want it anymore, i will take it.

pd1
09-05-2007, 12:45 AM
You were soooo close to missing it.
I strained mine through a tree this weekend.

It's absolutely amazing how fast a tree can move.

One second it's rooted to the ground, next second it snags your plane, then in a flash it's back rooted to the ground again.
Just amazing.

Hope the repairs go well.

Paul

WishIWasAPunkRocker
09-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Sorry Spitfire, that wing has already had the damage cut out of it and a similar section taken out of the other side. The ailerons are going to be cut further into the wing and the whole lot braced and glued back together with polyurethane awaiting the brushless/LiPo mod planned for next month when it will be reborn as the 'Clipped Wing Super Cub'...

Gnascher
09-05-2007, 12:58 AM
You were soooo close to missing it.
I strained mine through a tree this weekend.

It's absolutely amazing how fast a tree can move.

One second it's rooted to the ground, next second it snags your plane, then in a flash it's back rooted to the ground again.
Just amazing.

Hope the repairs go well.

Paul

It's also amazing how the ground can just jump up and turn into a vertical wall for a millisecond ... isn't it Paul?

pd1
09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
It's also amazing how the ground can just jump up and turn into a vertical wall for a millisecond ... isn't it Paul?

I'll stick with the moving tree story.
You'll have to make up your own story.

Paul

Gnascher
09-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I'll stick with the moving tree story.
You'll have to make up your own story.

Paul

Well, that's the way I saw it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.