PDA

View Full Version : Li-Poly Selection

skyvolt12
11-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Red,
I have a question for you. With all the different manufacture's of Li-poly cells how in the world do you select which one to get. It is something that has bug me for awhile. I would really like some direction to go. Thanks
Skyvolt12:confused:

hoppy
11-13-2005, 03:35 AM
See the discharge graphs here and elsewhere. These will give you a good idea if the manufacturers C ratings are accurate or inflated.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661
http://www.elektromodellflug.de/datenbank.htm
http://www.trextuning.com/ Do a search for Polyquest for more battery reports.

skyvolt12
11-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Thanks Hoppy,
It will take me awhile to digest this, I'll let you know how I make out.
Skyvolt12

Red Scholefield
11-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Red,
I have a question for you. With all the different manufacture's of Li-poly cells how in the world do you select which one to get. It is something that has bug me for awhile. I would really like some direction to go. Thanks
Skyvolt12:confused:

At this point in time with LiPo vendors changing suppliers like Hollywood's elite changeing wives it is a crap shoot. A good label today could be crap tomorrow. I would beware of any supplier that plays coy about who is manufacturing his cells or says they are made to his specifications when the LiPo industry spills more cells in days production than the hobby market will absorb in a year. I guess you will just have to observe, read and see what others comments are regarding a specific vendor.:cool:

A vendors reputation in other areas may be a small clue to their reliability as a LiPo vendor also.

flyranger
11-13-2005, 11:31 PM
I just recently went to LiPo for my Lil' Poke. I waited until I could get a supplier and manufacturer that I could trust to get by the "cell balancing" problem. Thunder Power does it for me. I bought their charger and balancer. Works great with the only batt pack I have so far. About a dozen charge cycles so far in the last three weeks.

Red Scholefield
11-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Great, Now let us know after 6-9 months how they are doing. :)

skyvolt12
11-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi Red,
I see what you are saying and I really apprecate the frankness. In the back of my mind I kind of figured that would be the reply. It boils down to "truth in claims" in my mind. So I will try to be more informed an also see what others with more knowledge are doing. Much Thanks
Skyvolt12

skyvolt12
11-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Flyranger,
I'm glad you have found a trusted supplier, If you would what size pack do you have? skyvolt12

flyranger
11-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi Flyranger,
I'm glad you have found a trusted supplier, If you would what size pack do you have? skyvolt12
I'm embarassed to say I overbought. It is a 2000mahr 3 cell. Driving that Park 400 at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle for 20 to 30 minutes in windy days. One day there was no wind at all and I shot touch and goes for about 40 minutes!! My neck gets sore (I'm kinda old, you know) before the batt goes flat!:p

skyvolt12
11-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi Flyranger,
Sore neck I see I hav'nt had that prob. yet, not on Ni cads or Nimh HOHO. There are so many guys using Li-pos, I guess I will bite the bullet and join in.
I have been flying a Bob Kopski design "skyvolt and Revolt" plus a couple of simple motor gliders. Right now I am in the process of building a .40 size Balsa USA Taube converted to Electric. If things go well it should be ready to go in the spring. Skyvolt 12