PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Build SE5a Foamie

Voyager2lcats
09-12-2007, 03:55 AM
I submitted these pictures on RCG, since Tony65x55 started the build thread for this design over "there". I figured I would start my own build thread here as a way to motivate me to work faster on this bird.:o The hardest part for me is going to be soldering the motor, ESC, and battery connections (way too hot at the garage work bench right now). I've got mini-deans connectors, so it should work nicely once I do it. So here are the first shots of this model. I will add more when I get the camera back from my wife. This is a pretty straightforward build, but I don't have a copy of the plans at this moment to post, but patience will be rewarded.:)

P.S. jpeg's aren't uploading for some reason. I'll add them tomorrow.

CHELLIE
09-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Waiting On Pins and Needles to see your Build :ws: I am sure it will be very very nice, Chellie

Ps you might have to resize the pictures to upload them

Bill G
09-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Are the file sizes too big? Need to be 100k or less I think. I always save with the "best for web" option in my photo editor.

The SE5A is a nice plane for scratchbuilding. The solid square fuse front should lend itself well to flat foam construction. I did a Guillows last year, and it flys well. My favorite WW1 bipe.

Soldering is my least favorite activity, especially since I have this old beat gun with a bad contact somewhere inside where one of the irons meets the coil wrap. I have to keep wrenching it with pliers to get it to heat up well enough to melt solder. I've got real good at it, since I know the sound of the "buzz" when its making good contact inside.:Q
Sure, I could get a new one, but its hard to spend money on anything that isn't an airplane or airplane gear.

Voyager2lcats
09-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Okay, successfully added jpegs- hooray! Thanks for the kind comments Chellie and Bill G! I have completed the attachment of the monoblock (holds motor, ESC, battery, and landing gear) and the tail fins, so I will update tomorrow:( I am trying to borrow a scroll saw from a friend to make a wing jig (heat them on it to add curve for airfoil). That is a side project in and of itself inspired by someone else on RCG (I am not advertising their site, honest!):) Take care everyone and bear with me. I will probably finish the fuselage, the wings and then the cabanes and struts before I attempt to solder.:blah:

Grasshopper
09-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Subscribed. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd loan you my scroll saw.

Voyager2lcats
09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Subscribed. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd loan you my scroll saw.

What? You mean you won't MAIL it to me?!:<: That's OK:( I am looking forward to your re-maiden(?) of your Jug. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. My little one (P-47) is cannibalized at the moment to run my P-40! I still need to fix the nose on my Cub- work and fun never end do they?

Geoffrito
09-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Ooooooh hope this works out for you, I'm a big fan of the SE5a, I'm thinking of building one from foam myself =]

Voyager2lcats
09-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Ooooooh hope this works out for you, I'm a big fan of the SE5a, I'm thinking of building one from foam myself =]

Hey Geoffrito, I think this is going to be a sweet little flyer, because the RCG users who posted the following pictures of their birds have videos that show a very stable slow flyer. Here are the plans and various pictures of others from the FOAMIE - SE5a - 32 inch! thread (by Tony65x55) on the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum on RCG.

Geoffrito
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
oh great, thanks! that'll save some time designing =).

Voyager2lcats
09-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Some of these are completed planes, two are of a wooden airfoil jig, one is plans for a Lewis machinegun, and one is the front of a real SE5a in a museum. Enjoy!

FlyingMonkey
09-13-2007, 02:31 AM
I might have to build one of these...

CHELLIE
09-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Those planes look really neet, and so simple, Looking for videos of them flying Now :ws: Take care and keep up the good work, Chellie

CHELLIE
09-13-2007, 04:23 AM
I submitted these pictures on RCG, since Tony65x55 started the build thread for this design over "there". I figured I would start my own build thread here as a way to motivate me to work faster on this bird.:o The hardest part for me is going to be soldering the motor, ESC, and battery connections (way too hot at the garage work bench right now). I've got mini-deans connectors, so it should work nicely once I do it. So here are the first shots of this model. I will add more when I get the camera back from my wife. This is a pretty straightforward build, but I don't have a copy of the plans at this moment to post, but patience will be rewarded.:)

P.S. jpeg's aren't uploading for some reason. I'll add them tomorrow.

use some bullet connectors for the motor esc and lipo, that way you can use them on different planes, I use the cheapy blue auto bullet connectors, they just crimp on, works good for me ;-) take care, Chellie

Voyager2lcats
09-13-2007, 04:34 AM
I might have to build one of these...

I'm telling you! This thing is really easy to assemble and structurally tough. I have some more build pics, so I'll try and load them now. If they don't load, I'll load them from work.:D

Nope. I keep timing out. I'll load them tomorrow.:mad:

Bob

Voyager2lcats
09-13-2007, 04:40 AM
use some bullet connectors for the motor esc and lipo, that way you can use them on different planes, I use the cheapy blue auto bullet connectors, they just crimp on, works good for me ;-) take care, Chellie

I considered them first Chellie, but I was worried about plugging into the "wrong" plug if I get in a hurry. I like the mini-deans because they are pretty much idiot proof (yes, I do mean Me!).;)

Bob

CHELLIE
09-13-2007, 05:44 AM
I considered them first Chellie, but I was worried about plugging into the "wrong" plug if I get in a hurry. I like the mini-deans because they are pretty much idiot proof (yes, I do mean Me!).;)

Bob

Hi Bob :ws: I know what you mean :Q thats why I use the female connector on the pos side and the male connector on the neg side of the lipo, that way I cant make a mistake :red: when plugging in the lipo, on the esc to motor I use the female on the esc wires , and the male connectors on the motor wires, Take care, Chellie

Bill G
09-13-2007, 06:08 AM

Bob
You can even do that with the keyed JST connectors by accident, when the female connector housing stretches out a bit.
I did that once, caught it quickly and ripped it back out. Didn't blow anything, but I always worry about the ESCs failing on that twin EDF because of that, whenever I fly it.:eek:

CHELLIE
09-13-2007, 07:27 AM
I found my new avitar on the web, thought it was Cute, so I think I will use it :silly: Take care, Chellie

Voyager2lcats
09-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I found my new avitar on the web, thought it was Cute, so I think I will use it :silly: Take care, Chellie

That lady must live in L.A.! That bra looks like it's working overtime.;)

Voyager2lcats
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I e-mailed these to my desktop PC at work, so it takes me an additional day to post pictures. They won't upload to WattFlyer from home for some reason. Anyway here are the latest; not earth-shaking but showing progress. The landing gear fits pretty snugly into it's slot, so I don't think it needs a retaining system (yet). The nose needs some more work- I might fit some paper "grille-work" to make it look like the radiator cooling inlets on the real thing. I intend to make the wing forming jig and heat my wings uniformly- could take me some time I'm afraid.

FlyingMonkey
09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
spiffy....

now I just need to get the new lady away from the main computer, so I can illegally print the plans using company resources.

gfdengine204
09-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Fred,

You are ahead of me there, at least. Even if I had the plans, I never have built anything more difficult than an ARF. I wouldn't know what to do with plans......<sigh>

I wish I had one of you guru's closer.

FlyingMonkey
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
It's real easy with this sort of plane....

If it's your first, print out two sets of plans.

Cut the shapes out of one set, and trace them onto your foam. (People using foam board will trace it on the paper, cut it out, THEN soak the foamboard for peeling.)

Once you have your pieces, you start gluing. Hopefully someone has started a build thread, so you can see how they are putting it together.

Voyager2lcats
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
It's real easy with this sort of plane....

If it's your first, print out two sets of plans.

Cut the shapes out of one set, and trace them onto your foam. (People using foam board will trace it on the paper, cut it out, THEN soak the foamboard for peeling.)

Once you have your pieces, you start gluing. Hopefully someone has started a build thread, so you can see how they are putting it together.

You make a good point. I-unfortunately already had it cut out- but I will post some of the earlier build thread pics from RCG. They have some nice layouts in piecing this together, however Tony65x55's thread is not really step by step, so I think I can remedy that and post it. I think foam board is ideal for this build: trace your templates onto it, cut it out, soak it in water to remove the paper, and start gluing it together.

FlyingMonkey
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll do that this weekend.

Maybe even take some pics.

Geoffrito
09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
nice job voyager..what are you using for hinges?

Saucerguy2
09-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Excellent work, that plane looks awsome!!! Good call on the wing support struts, the scale ones leave much to be desired.

Nice new avatar Chellie, now if I can just get her to change my oil. :)

Voyager2lcats
09-15-2007, 03:36 AM
nice job voyager..what are you using for hinges?

Don't laugh! That's Target brand clear tape- comes in a blue Scotch tape style dispenser- called Transparent Tape. I take two 1" sections of tape and tape them together with about 1/4 overlap in the middle so you have adhesive on top of one side and adhesive on bottom side of the other. Make about 8-10 of these for your elevator and alternate leading ends of tape on top of horizontal stabilizer and under the stabilizer and stick the trailing end on the elevator. I used this on my Piper Cub and it has NEVER failed.:)

Bob

Voyager2lcats
09-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Excellent work, that plane looks awsome!!! Good call on the wing support struts, the scale ones leave much to be desired.

Nice new avatar Chellie, now if I can just get her to change my oil. :)

Thanks SaucerGuy! That means a lot coming from you.:) I've trolled on some of your posts and I am impressed by your work.;)

Saucerguy2
09-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the compliment voyager, I just look at these scratch builds and can't compare them with the arf/rtf scene, many turn out so nice, you cannot tell if it's a handmade, or production creation. Keep up the good work.

There is nothing wrong with tape hinges, they are cheap and easy to repair if you damage them. If you wanted to go even more bulletproof, you can combine them with traditional hinges at the same time. Some people even go that route to eliminate the gap.

gfdengine204
09-15-2007, 04:00 AM
So for the plans, do I just print them on my regular 8 1/2" X 11" paper, or do I need to enlarge them, or what? Sorry if my questions seem stupid, I think I could really enjoy building some foamies like these, but I have this barrier called "fear due to lack of experience" rearing it's ugly head.

Voyager2lcats
09-15-2007, 04:15 AM
So for the plans, do I just print them on my regular 8 1/2" X 11" paper, or do I need to enlarge them, or what? Sorry if my questions seem stupid, I think I could really enjoy building some foamies like these, but I have this barrier called "fear due to lack of experience" rearing it's ugly head.

Just print them on regular 8 1/2 X 11 paper and cut out the templates and tape together; this thing is already scaled to be a 31" wing. I usually trace them onto something like cereal box cardboard and then tape together as well (they will last and you can reuse them if you want to build another plane:)). Don't be afraid of making mistakes, because it's really easy to make another part if you mess up the first one.
I usually tape mine together first just to test the fit, but you don't have to do that. I would use white glue the first time just because it is so forgiving. If you have gaps in your fit, use some Gorilla glue and let it expand over night (this will require some trial and error). Like I told Fred, I think some Dollar Store foam board is perfect for building this one. Give a try. As far as cutting, you can use a good carving knife from your kitchen and a steel ruler- makes excellent straight cuts on almost any foam.;) I hope this helps.

P.S. Kudos to Fred for noticing, the second .pdf has the tiled plans. The first .pdf is just an overview.

FlyingMonkey
09-15-2007, 04:19 AM
The second set of plans are the "tiled" version...

You just print these out, trace them on your posterboard, and start cutting.

It's not a big deal. You mess up, you just make another run to Walmart for more foam board.

Voyager2lcats
09-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Picture 1: Fuse parts

These are the parts resulting from cutting bluecore foam or foam board from the fuselage templates.

Starting at the top and left to right they are:

Front turtledeck tops (2, with circular cockpit cutout).
Top rear turtledeck.
Right fuselage side with monoblock sections, internal (servo) tray, and bulkhead laying on top of it. Bottom fuselage section beneath right fuselage.
Front cowl lying in front of left fuselage side, exhaust manifold below left fuselage half.Construction:

Lay the fuselage halves together and check for symmetry. Trim any excess with a kitchen knife or X-acto style hobby knife until both side match. Don’t trim excessively. Using either white glue, gorilla glue, UHUpor, or similar, glue the two turtledecks together. Set aside to dry. If you are using Gorilla glue, hold the parts together with blue painters masking tape after gluing to prevent glue expansion.

Glue the three sections of monoblock together. The two outside sections should be foam. The inner section should be a spongy foam (such as solid foam pool noodles). The inner section of the mono block should be cut with either a steak knife or a razor saw (X-acto makes them, or they can be found at Michael’s craft stores). Trace with an ink pen around the monoblock template and cut the spongey foam.

Once the monoblock is dry, align it with the right fuselage front and bottom. Lay the right fuselage side down flat. Using the monoblock as a guide, line up the left side fuselage to the rear of the right fuselage half and glue the two together. Lay something heavy like a bean bag on top of the glued fuselage halves to keep it from shifting or use painter's tape.

Once the fuselage tail glue joint dries (approximately 2-3 hours for white glue), align the top turtledeck with the front of the fuselage and the monoblock. The turtledeck should sit on top of the fuselage when it is glued down. Again, using painter’s tape, tape the turtledeck to the fuselage halves.

P.S. For those who are lovers of Hot Glue, you will note that the fourth picture attachment has a hot glue gun prominently displayed just behind the fuselage.

Voyager2lcats
09-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Good news! I'm getting a scrollsaw on loan from a friend at work tomorrow. I am really looking forward to cutting this wing jig and moving forward with this build. If all goes according to plan, I should be able to "m a s s produce" curved airfoils for any foamies I scratchbuild in the future.:)
I will be adding a second build summary either tomorrow or Thursday. There are some minor variables on building this plane, so I'll stick with simple. That's the beauty of scratch building- modify as you desire to. Want more scale detail? Go ahead. The only limits are your imagination and ability to fabricate parts. Good night!

Saucerguy2
09-26-2007, 04:45 AM
A scroll saw is one of the few powertools I don't own. I cut my jigs using some laminate sheers, it cuts through it quickly and is a rather cheap tool. I'm acquiring quite the collection of jigs as well.

FlyingMonkey
09-26-2007, 04:48 AM
there's the next thread...

show me your...... jigs!

Voyager2lcats
09-26-2007, 05:04 AM
there's the next thread...

show me your...... jigs!

Tomorrow. I was busy reading another post (by Yank51 btw), but good night FlyingMonkey. There's always tomorrow.;)

Saucerguy2
09-26-2007, 05:52 AM
I have them all over the place, so give me time to gather them up together. Good idea on a thread topic. Perhaps we may even have a jig swap, that part of the process is always the most time consuming.

Voyager2lcats
09-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Step 2: Insert bulkhead and servo tray cardboard templates into the fuselage. Using a ball point pen, trace the outlines of the templates where they come together. Remove templates. Apply your chosen adhesive to these marked areas and insert the bulkhead followed by the servo tray. Allow them to dry.

Cut out the cockpit oval on one of the front top turtledeck templates. Set the template on the top turtledeck and trace the cockpit oval. Using a number 11 X-acto knife blade, cut the oval through both sections of turtledeck.

Dry fit both the top rear turtledeck and the bottom rear fuselage pieces. Then glue in just the top rear turtledeck. Hold in place with painter’s tape or masking tape. You will glue in the bottom fuselage half later, after you fit the servos and the elevator and rudder connections.

Insert monoblock into front of fuselage. Make sure the monoblock fits into the fuselage smoothly. If it is loose, you might need to add additional layers of foam cut to shape. If it is tight, then that sharp steak knife will come in very handy for shaving the proper amount off of the monoblock.

Now you can go one of two ways for holding the monoblock in: 1. Gorilla glue it to the fuselage sides, 2. Cut out little square pieces of credit card plastic (ABS or styrene?), 8 in all, and use servo screws to hold the monoblock in place.

If you choose method number 1. Gorilla glue, then lightly wet the inside of the fuselage sides, apply lines of Gorilla glue to each side of the monoblock, and insert the monoblock into the fuselage after lining it up. You can use painter’s tape to hold the fuselage sides to the top turtledeck and underneath the fuselage bottom as a precaution from expanding Gorilla glue. I don’t know that it is necessary.

If you choose method number 2. Screws, you will need to cut out 8 (eight) pieces of credit card plastic in the shape of small rectangles or squares roughly ¼ “ in width and height. Match a nail or drill bit to the diameter of your chosen servo screw threaded section (I used the extras that came with my 3.6 gram Blue Arrow servos.) In making holes for the servo screws, it's better to be too narrow than too wide in the diameter. You are going to pierce each of the credit card sections in the center with a hole just large enough for the servo screw to fit into.

Now place two of the plastic credit card “squares” on one side of the monoblock (roughly center of mass), trace outlines in pen for each plastic square. Repeat on the opposite side of the monoblock. Using either a narrow chisel, or an X-acto knife, gently excavate the squares marked in pen and test fit the credit card pieces until they are flush fit into the monoblock. Gorilla glue all four in place. When they are dry, insert a servo screw and turn it into the plastic with a screwdriver until it is roughly halfway in. Twist the servo screw out and repeat until all four plastic pieces have been “threaded”.

Using the paper or cardboard template for the monoblock, mark the screw locations on the template and make holes through those marks. Line up the template on the fuselage. Mark the fuselage through the template holes. Using a thumbtack, nail, or toothpick, pierce the fuselage in each of the four locations you have marked with the monoblock template. This is where you will be placing the other four plastic credit card squares. Insert the monoblock into the fuselage to see if the four fuselage holes line up with the monoblock. The thumbtack is handy for testing alignment.

Pierce each of the remaining four credit card squares and using a thumbtack, line up each plastic square to the fuselage holes. Insert a servo screw into each plastic square and screw them into the fuselage until they dig into the foam. Trace around each piece as it is lined up with the fuselage hole. Excavate these individually, starting with the two rear mounting locations first. Once all of the mounting locations are “dug out” and properly aligned you may glue the plastic pieces into the fuselage exterior. Once they dry, screw the servo screws into the fuselage and into the monoblock. Voila! Monoblock is now mounted.

[Pictures to be inserted tomorrow!]:red:
P.S. My apologies, extracurricular activities kept me from posting, but tonight I will atone for it with an upload.

WWI Ace
09-27-2007, 12:43 AM
There is a new SE5A coming out soon from www.horizonhobby.com (http://www.horizonhobby.com) that is a small parkflyer. It even has the Lewis gun on the top wing!!! Steve.

FlyingMonkey
09-27-2007, 01:07 AM
yeah, basically the same plane as the e-flite jenny by the looks of it.

Voyager2lcats
09-27-2007, 03:55 PM
There is a new SE5A coming out soon from www.horizonhobby.com (http://www.horizonhobby.com) that is a small parkflyer. It even has the Lewis gun on the top wing!!! Steve.

I saw a very nice kit review over on RCG for making a scale Lewis gun out of balsa. I think I could make it out of foam. I am going to find it and add to this thread. But thanks.:)

P.S. Found the article, but here is an extract of the Lewis gun:

Wright Brothers RC WWI Scale Machine Guns Review
Michael Heer (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=3835) Jul 31, 2007

FlyingMonkey
09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I would guess some careful hobby knife work, and some card stock would make for an awesome gun.

Voyager2lcats
09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I would guess some careful hobby knife work, and some card stock would make for an awesome gun.

I really liked the look of it. It doesn't really look all that difficult to me. Time consuming. Card stock sounds good or styrene (all those old credit cards gain new life!:ws:). I'll do a small build thread on it when I (finally) get to it. Yikes! The attached pictures are by farnboro on the RCG site.

Voyager2lcats
09-28-2007, 03:00 PM
I have a question for any one interested in helping me: What kind of prop adapter would you recommend for the GWS 8" X 4" prop fitting onto the Hextronik 1300 Kv motor (I believe the shaft is 3 mm)? I test fitted the prop sitting on the shaft and it seemed a little wobbly.:confused:

WWI Ace
09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
If you bought that Hextronic motor from United Hobbies you could buy one of their GWS looking props. I bought one and it came with different sizes of spacers. Steve.

Voyager2lcats
09-28-2007, 07:29 PM
If you bought that Hextronic motor from United Hobbies you could buy one of their GWS looking props. I bought one and it came with different sizes of spacers. Steve.

Thanks WWI Ace! That's a great suggestion. I'll check their web site (aren't they Hobby City or something now?). I don't like buying accessories until I have enough info to go on. That sounds like what I want.;)

Saucerguy2
09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
They make 3 mm aluminum spinners, I have a ton of them, any hobby shop worth their weight in dirt should have them in stock. I just wish they'd also stock steel ones, that aluminum bends just by breathing on it.

Voyager2lcats
09-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Hey SG, thanks for the heads up.;) The closest LHS is 20 miles away, but it's pretty good. A steel spinner would look sharp (I just need a little one). I'll give it a look/see. Last time I was there I just bought some wire and the owner looked insulted(!). I think I would have bought more if my wife had not been along.:rolleyes:

Saucerguy2
09-29-2007, 06:20 AM
The wife thing will do that to his sales, hehe. I go in for a prop, come out with am armload and go, what just happened??? :D

Voyager2lcats
09-29-2007, 03:43 PM
The "Wife Dynamic" is a known brake on hobby spending! Now, if you can persuade her that you can do dual functions (e.g. put up that paneling in the kitchen she wants AND cut jigs with it) you will probably get some "Spouse Credit" and not take much flak. Always perform house repair, yard work, or major errands before undertaking any jigs, soldering, or plane construction (at least during daylight hours).:)

Voyager2lcats
10-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I managed to cut out the formers for my wing forming jig this weekend. I did a quick cutting of some bracing material (pine) for the leading edge and trailing edge. Now this is a heat forming jig for the oven- about 32 inches long. So I can get left and right wings on it easily. I will be testing it out next week. I will post some pics, but it's fairly crude following the KISS method- Keep It Simple, Stupid. I am anxious to use it in the kitchen oven at 200º for 15 minutes to form the curve. Nothing like experimenting.:)

Voyager2lcats
10-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, believe it or not, I made some progress this weekend. It involved the very boring and time-consuming process of soldering connectors to the brushless motor, ESC, and the battery. I put mini-deans on all of them. I still need to match up the motor leads to the proper ESC leads to see how the motor "fires up". I am not the best solderer so hopefully there will be a good electrical connection. I guess the worst thing is if I have a bunch of "cold" solder joints and have to do it all over again. Practice makes perfect.:( I am going to test it this evening and see if I have a working circuit.:rolleyes:

Geoffrito
10-14-2007, 11:24 PM
I just ordered the electronics for mine =]
the wings came out a bit wonky, but they'll do...

Voyager2lcats
10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
I just ordered the electronics for mine =]
the wings came out a bit wonky, but they'll do...

So what happened? You don't have a good airfoil? Fit is not what you hoped? I am stalled on the wings right now because I need/want to fit my wing heat jig together and curve the wings. Please post a picture if you can. I'd like to see what you've got. I don't care how "bad" you might think it looks- I'd still like to see it. Give it a go.:)

Geoffrito
10-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll try to coax the camera into some sort of operation. There is an airfoil, it's just...less than even. It's a bit warped, but a little work will probably fix that...

Geoffrito
10-15-2007, 02:15 AM
What are you using for covering?

Voyager2lcats
10-15-2007, 04:56 AM
What are you using for covering?

Geoffrito, I will hit the rough spots with a paste mix of light weight spackle and possibly brush on a light coat of water soluable polyurethane (WSP). If I like the finished product enough, I'll just paint it with acrylic paint and not bother with the WSP. Some people use the light weight plastic coverings and tack (i.e. iron) them on, but I have no experience doing that.

P.S. An easy way to fix the warp of your wings is to get a large coffee mug and fill it with boiling water or your favorite boiled hot beverage and slowly hold sections of your wing along the side of the mug as you hold it by the handle next to the edge of the kitchen counter. Start with the inner span of the wing and work your way to the wingtip. You will be surprise at how well this works. It isn't easy, you need to put slight pressure on the wing while you hold it to the mug and slide the wing downward along the mug after about a minute.

Old Fart
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Voyager,

Do you have the non-tiled plan file? According to the network, I have a plotter _somewhere_ on the floor below me :)

What I did with my Dr.1 build was to take the full size plans, cut them to slightly larger than the plan lines, use 3M spray Artists adhesive to stick them to the 6mm Depron and then cut out. You can peel the paper off the Depron several days later - even a week.

Voyager2lcats
10-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Voyager,

Do you have the non-tiled plan file? According to the network, I have a plotter _somewhere_ on the floor below me :)

What I did with my Dr.1 build was to take the full size plans, cut them to slightly larger than the plan lines, use 3M spray Artists adhesive to stick them to the 6mm Depron and then cut out. You can peel the paper off the Depron several days later - even a week.

Hey I like that! I will check for full size plans and post. Give me a few minutes!
These are in order: 1. DXF, 2. DWG (autocad), 3. DWG (older autocad). I can't actually view these so if they are of no use to you, then my apologies, but that's all there is.

Old Fart
10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
The first two came up as "unsupported file format" in my file viewer, third one worked ok. Is there a control dimension I can use to tell me if I have it scaled correctly when I plot it?

Thanks

Voyager2lcats
10-16-2007, 03:55 AM
The first two came up as "unsupported file format" in my file viewer, third one worked ok. Is there a control dimension I can use to tell me if I have it scaled correctly when I plot it?

Thanks

OF,
I am afraid I don't know since I did not design the plans or convert them to autocad. The wingspan should come to 31" if that helps any. You can build larger scale than that and everything should still be good.:)

Old Fart
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
No problem Voyager. I'm on page 22 of the original thread on RCG (damn airport keeps coming up with real work, it's starting to interfere with my hobby!), I may ping the original designer later today. As long as I can find one measurable dimension, I can check the plot scale. Most folks don't think to put a graphic scale on their plans (except Steve Shumate) :)

Voyager2lcats
10-16-2007, 05:00 PM
No problem Voyager. I'm on page 22 of the original thread on RCG (damn airport keeps coming up with real work, it's starting to interfere with my hobby!), I may ping the original designer later today. As long as I can find one measurable dimension, I can check the plot scale. Most folks don't think to put a graphic scale on their plans (except Steve Shumate) :)

I have noticed that with a plan for a Curtiss XP-55 (in .pdf) that I was looking at. Silly really- a scale really helps out with sizing the print if you want to reduce or increase. Good luck at LAX, I am sure they keep you busy.

Voyager2lcats
10-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Last night I worked on the front cowl cover and put some ventilator holes (semi-scale and also practical cooling) in it. I did a little solder boo-boo on my battery: positive pole is matched to negative on it. Almost test plugged it into ESC- that would have been BAD. I will resolder this weekend. Wing heat-forming jig is almost ready. I need to drill starter holes for wood screws to fit this thing together. Extensive wood sanding is also required to finish air foil formers to uniform specifications. Blah!:blah:

Grasshopper
10-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Any pictures?

Voyager2lcats
10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Any pictures?

Okay, you lured me online. Right now, no new pics, but I could be loading tonight. Not much to show, wood forms are cut for the jig; the cowl is looking pretty good and I did a little sanding of the fuselage at the top to make it rounder. Still needs work. Oh yeah, motor stick is now Gorilla glued into the monoblock. My wife has been asking me when am I going to finish this thing- she's tired of watching me fly just the Piper Cub! Yeesh!

P.S. Here are the pics- boy is my new DSL connection nice!

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 05:21 AM
Well, I tried out my assembled wing heating jig this weekend and the results have been mediocre. The oven curled the wing upward along the "grain" which gave me the beginnings of a large drink cup! Then I tried an iron with steam- scorched the skin and no airfoil.:( Then I set it over the kitchen sink and poured hot water over it for the best result- mild curve not enough to fly with. I am trying a pressure method overnight with the scrap wood leftover from making the airfoil blocks. Since they mirror the shape of the airfoil, I set the foam in the jig and place the scrap blocks over the foam and place the edge of wooden mitre box on the leading edge and another mitre box on the trailing edge. They are close together enough that I set my 12 volt battery charger on top (it's heavy!). I'll check tomorrow morning and see the "damage".;) If this doesn't work, I'm headed to Lowe's for a $10 heat gun.

Saucerguy2
10-22-2007, 06:07 AM
You sound like my trying to vaccume form parts, for some reason I go through all of these little steps trying to get it to work only to find it's only "close" but no cigar. You then look back and think, well, I just destroyed some expensive stock and wasted all of this time attempting it with what I have on hand.

I haven't built a foam bending system as you did, but I do have an alternative that will work just as well. Create a set of ribs out of foam board and simply glue them to the underside of the wing, it will get the bend you require with ease. Just experiement with some scrap, you'll see how it pulls back on the ribs, reducing the original airfoil shape slightly.

Grasshopper
10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Okay, you lured me online. Right now, no new pics, but I could be loading tonight. Not much to show, wood forms are cut for the jig; the cowl is looking pretty good and I did a little sanding of the fuselage at the top to make it rounder. Still needs work. Oh yeah, motor stick is now Gorilla glued into the monoblock. My wife has been asking me when am I going to finish this thing- she's tired of watching me fly just the Piper Cub! Yeesh!

P.S. Here are the pics- boy is my new DSL connection nice!

Looks good Cats! At least your wife is after you to finish it so she can watch you fly. When I had my P-47 on the kitchen table, mine was after me to get it the heck out of the house. She doesn't care to watch them fly. In fact, in the 2 years I've been back in it, she's only gone with me once and that was two years ago when I maidened my PZ J3. That was my first electric flight.

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
You sound like my trying to vaccume form parts, for some reason I go through all of these little steps trying to get it to work only to find it's only "close" but no cigar. You then look back and think, well, I just destroyed some expensive stock and wasted all of this time attempting it with what I have on hand.

I haven't built a foam bending system as you did, but I do have an alternative that will work just as well. Create a set of ribs out of foam board and simply glue them to the underside of the wing, it will get the bend you require with ease. Just experiement with some scrap, you'll see how it pulls back on the ribs, reducing the original airfoil shape slightly.

Did I ever tell you that you are the man? I have seen that method a lot, and it didn't even occur to me! Too simple. Thanks a great deal (I checked the "thanks").:)

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Looks good Cats! At least your wife is after you to finish it so she can watch you fly. When I had my P-47 on the kitchen table, mine was after me to get it the heck out of the house. She doesn't care to watch them fly. In fact, in the 2 years I've been back in it, she's only gone with me once and that was two years ago when I maidened my PZ J3. That was my first electric flight.

Grasshopper you are going to love this- my wife, son, and I went out to fly on Sunday afternoon. While I am flying, my wife asks if she can try.:eek: I tell her okay, as soon as I land we'll walk through pre-flight and then controls. Well, Biplane Murphy's (he, he!) law struck and the plane battery was low, so she couldn't fly. But she's got the bug! So hopefully I can finish this thing and she and I will fly together.:)

Grasshopper
10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
That's cool! That could open up a whole new area in financial support for the hobby.:D

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
That's cool! That could open up a whole new area in financial support for the hobby.:D

She loves aerospace stuff- especially space exploration- so she is very supportive of my obsession. Just as long as I get housework done.;) I told her about the Easy Built PT-19 and she is not convinced I "need" it.:( I guess I'll have to start flying those little Cox warbirds until there is nothing left of them!:blah:

Grasshopper
10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
She loves aerospace stuff- especially space exploration- so she is very supportive of my obsession. Just as long as I get housework done.;) I told her about the Easy Built PT-19 and she is not convinced I "need" it.:( I guess I'll have to start flying those little Cox warbirds until there is nothing left of them!:blah:

When did the word "Need" ever become an issue in this hobby?:D

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
When did the word "Need" ever become an issue in this hobby?:D

You are speaking from experience I take it?;)

Grasshopper
10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
You are speaking from experience I take it?;)

Well of course. I probably didn't "need" any of the last 10 or 15 planes I bought. But I did "want" them really bad.

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Well of course. I probably didn't "need" any of the last 10 or 15 planes I bought. But I did "want" them really bad.

Usually, "want" trumps "need", but then I seem to recall your wife is very good with numbers and financing! You're lucky to have gotten this far. LOL.:)

Grasshopper
10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Usually, "want" trumps "need", but then I seem to recall your wife is very good with numbers and financing! You're lucky to have gotten this far. LOL.:)

She doesn't care what I spend as long as I keep it coming from my RC slush fund. I buy and sell a few things on e-bay, swap model planes and equipment. I keep a checking account specifically for this so as long as I don't dip in to "our" funds, she's fine with it all.

You got me to thinking about how many planes I have bought. I just sat here and made a list. Since I started in to electrics in December of 2005, I have bought 27 planes. I have sold or traded several of them. I've also sold several of the planes I built. If I get tired of flying them, I let them go for a reasonable price to buy something else.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your thread off on a tangent. :o

Old Fart
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm, thinking to build this with flat wings (and ailerons). Fighters need a roll rate :)

BUCKSHOT
10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I Was Thinking The Same OR I ALSO HAVE A COUPLE OLD PZ J3 CUB WINGS LYING AROUND

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 05:50 PM
She doesn't care what I spend as long as I keep it coming from my RC slush fund. I buy and sell a few things on e-bay, swap model planes and equipment. I keep a checking account specifically for this so as long as I don't dip in to "our" funds, she's fine with it all.

You got me to thinking about how many planes I have bought. I just sat here and made a list. Since I started in to electrics in December of 2005, I have bought 27 planes. I have sold or traded several of them. I've also sold several of the planes I built. If I get tired of flying them, I let them go for a reasonable price to buy something else.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your thread off on a tangent. :o

No prob. Happens all the time.:D Ever heard of FlyingMonkey? LOL!;)

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm, thinking to build this with flat wings (and ailerons). Fighters need a roll rate :)

That is always an option. Right now I don't have enough servos to go around, so it will have to wait. Would you put ailerons on both top and bottom wings and link them. What type of, and how many servos would you use? I am always curious about what others like in their planes.;)

Old Fart
10-22-2007, 07:03 PM
That is always an option. Right now I don't have enough servos to go around, so it will have to wait. Would you put ailerons on both top and bottom wings and link them. What type of, and how many servos would you use? I am always curious about what others like in their planes.;)

Probably a pair of HS-55's (I have a lot of those laying around). Once you've experienced the benefits of dual aileron servos -it's hard to live with the limitations of a single one!

Just the bottom wing - I'm already building a Dr.1 with ailerons on all three wings :)

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Probably a pair of HS-55's (I have a lot of those laying around). Once you've experienced the benefits of dual aileron servos -it's hard to live with the limitations of a single one!

Just the bottom wing - I'm already building a Dr.1 with ailerons on all three wings :)

Old Fart (I hate calling anyone that!:<:), thanks for the information. I am sure this one will do great with ailerons. I want to see how she does with rudder and elevator. I'll make new wings later for ailerons.

Old Fart
10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Old Fart (I hate calling anyone that!:<:), thanks for the information. I am sure this one will do great with ailerons. I want to see how she does with rudder and elevator. I'll make new wings later for ailerons.

No problem - "Old Fart" is a lot better than what the United Airlines folks called me over the weekend!

Tony posted a full size .pdf over on RCG - I sent it to the plotter about an hour ago. I still need to come up with a control dimension to check the plot.

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
No problem - "Old Fart" is a lot better than what the United Airlines folks called me over the weekend!

Tony posted a full size .pdf over on RCG - I sent it to the plotter about an hour ago. I still need to come up with a control dimension to check the plot.

OF, I saw your posts over on RCG. Does Tony give the SE5a's dimensions anywhere? I don't remember seeing any.:confused:

Old Fart
10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
No scale that I've found.

Good news - the plotter delivery kid just dropped off my plot. It looks good - can anyone tell me what the dimension is from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge? - I can check it from that.

She winked at me and told me that "is the strangest A-380 Airbus I've seen come off the plotter" :)

Voyager2lcats
10-22-2007, 10:41 PM
No scale that I've found.

Good news - the plotter delivery kid just dropped off my plot. It looks good - can anyone tell me what the dimension is from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge? - I can check it from that.

She winked at me and told me that "is the strangest A-380 Airbus I've seen come off the plotter" :)

I'll measure my template tonight and PM it to you- how's that?;)

Saucerguy2
10-22-2007, 11:06 PM
I measured the Guillow's version se5 with it's 24" wingspan, the chord is 4 1/4 if this helps any.

Check out http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25328&highlight=simple+stick
in regards to how I did the ribs on the wing using crafts board, also take note of the use of plastic strapping, it really helps stiffen up the wings.

Old Fart
10-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I'll measure my template tonight and PM it to you- how's that?;)

Works for me. With the day I'm having, I'll be 4 beers and 3 cigars into Relaxation Mode:)

Thanks!

Voyager2lcats
10-23-2007, 05:43 AM
I measured the Guillow's version se5 with it's 24" wingspan, the chord is 4 1/4 if this helps any.

Check out http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25328&highlight=simple+stick
in regards to how I did the ribs on the wing using crafts board, also take note of the use of plastic strapping, it really helps stiffen up the wings.

Hey SG, thank you very much for the assistance. This undercamber setup is a no brainer (wow, I should have seen it instead of piddling around!). Very nice build thread BTW. The recommended chord for the SE5a is 4 1/4, so no problem there.:)

Old Fart
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Scale is dead on with Tony's full size .pdf file, I'm going to order (2) more from the plotter (need two to cut out and glue to the foam, one for reference)

BUCKSHOT
10-24-2007, 09:07 PM
how do you think it would fly with a flat lower wing,i have the upper wing off a hz j3 cub to be modified for the top & what size motor & battery ?

Voyager2lcats
10-25-2007, 04:46 AM
how do you think it would fly with a flat lower wing,i have the upper wing off a hz j3 cub to be modified for the top & what size motor & battery ?

Buckshot, one guy on RCG had a flat lower wing and he didn't seem to think it affected flyability- but what the heck do I know?:o Saucerguy or Old Fart could probably tell you more.

Saucerguy2
10-25-2007, 05:02 AM
You'll just have less lift, with today's gear, you won't notice it that much, but will want an airfoil if you end up with a heavier plane. My Guillow's se5, I was thankful I had airfoil in both wings since with the 3 cell lipo, it really weighted it down. Once airborn, in spite of the weight element, it floated right along.

Old Fart
10-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm building mine without the airfoil more to get ailerons than anything else. That and I'm a lazy Old Fart :)

BUCKSHOT
10-25-2007, 09:59 PM
thank's guy's

Voyager2lcats
10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I have no updated pictures at this time, but I can promise more as soon as I recharge the digital camera. Progress has been good, just slow. My Hextronik Blue Wonder brushless motor works like a champ; I just need to solder the mini deans to the ESC on the motor leads to finish off the job. I have two wings done at this time- they will be the bottoms. Once I fit ribs to the top two wings and the center wing sections, I will be ready to fit the whole thing together and maiden. I won't paint it until I prove it can fly (I feel pretty confident about this one). If anyone has built and flown one of these SE5as, please post your comments and pictures- they are welcome. Fly when you can,

Bob

Geoffrito
10-28-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm still working on mine. I mounted the motor today and have started covering with econokote. Best of luck ;)

Voyager2lcats
10-28-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm still working on mine. I mounted the motor today and have started covering with econokote. Best of luck ;)

Hey, good to hear from you! I don't know whether to use So-Lite or econokote or if I will cover it at all. I am going to test out the acryilic paint I've got and see if I like the effect. I am going glossy!:) My wife is looking forward to seeing this one fly. She keeps telling me how much more substantial this plane is to my Cub. I think she's on the money. I was walking her through the controls on my transmitter this weekend. I am going to teach her to fly my Piper Cub as soon as the wind gets calmer- probably this next weekend. Post some pics if you can- not a big deal if you can't. This one is a winner in my book.:)

Geoffrito
10-29-2007, 12:50 AM
actually, i have most of the fuse covered now...still need to fix up those wings ;)
I spent a while this morning carving a pilot mold from clay....the plaster is drying right now...hopefully i'll be able to mold some plastic with it :)

I wasn't going to cover it at all, but i figured the joins were a bit iffy, so econokote it is.

Voyager2lcats
10-29-2007, 04:48 AM
actually, i have most of the fuse covered now...still need to fix up those wings ;)
I spent a while this morning carving a pilot mold from clay....the plaster is drying right now...hopefully i'll be able to mold some plastic with it :)

I wasn't going to cover it at all, but i figured the joins were a bit iffy, so econokote it is.

Hey Geoffrito, glad to hear it. I am working on the wings tonight (except for right now of course!;)). I am going to get back to work. Good luck on your pilot and let me know how he comes out. Take care,

Bob

Old Fart
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Bob, when you maiden your "naked" plane (I don't paint mine either before verifying that they aren't going to perish in a Gravity Storm), throw some colored tape on the bottom surfaces - much easier to orient the plane.

Just don't get lazy - my F-14 & Sonic Liner are still just tape :)

Voyager2lcats
10-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Bob, when you maiden your "naked" plane (I don't paint mine either before verifying that they aren't going to perish in a Gravity Storm), throw some colored tape on the bottom surfaces - much easier to orient the plane.

Just don't get lazy - my F-14 & Sonic Liner are still just tape :)

Old Fart, no problem. I will probably paint the bottom wings bright gloss red.:) I am going to make that my exception to my "naked" flyer.;)

Voyager2lcats
10-29-2007, 10:45 PM
A couple of posts back, Old Fart asked if anyone had the dimensions and I said I would PM them to him. Then I thought today, "Why don't I post them for everyone who is interested and that way help out anyone who wants to check their plans?" Thank Old Fart for prompting me to do this in the first place. So here they are:

SE5a Plan Dimensions

Wings (4 each): L=14", W=5 1/2"; Center Panels (2): L=3", W=4"; Front Cowl: W=2", H=2 1/2"; Fuselage Sides (2): L=21 1/2", H (Front)=2 1/2", H(Tail)=7/8"; Front Turtle Decks (Top and bottom): L= 10 1/4",W=2"; Top Rear Turtle Deck: L=10 1/4", W=2"; Bottom Rear Turtle Deck: L=11 1/2", W=2"; Vertical Stabilizer: L=3 3/4", H=2"; Rudder: L=3 3/4", H=5 1/8"; Horizontal Stabilizer & Elevators: L=12 1/8", W=4"; Monobloc: L=5", H=2 3/8", W=1 1/2"; Wing Struts(4): L=5 5/16", W=7/16"

Omitted: Cabanes, Tail Skid. Forgot!

Voyager2lcats
10-30-2007, 05:36 AM

If you want to learn something, check out SaucerGuy's threads: I didn't believe hot glue was all it was cracked up to be. Until I tried gluing wing formers under an uncambered wing to make the 4 1/4 chord needed for the SE5a. Give some credit to FlyingMonkey as well- he has been preaching it at me from the beginning. What can I say? I'm a slow learner, but I got there.:) If it works, I like it. Hot glue works from a low temperature heat gun; It's very easy to apply and I really like the resiliency of the glue. I am using a little bit of everything on this one: Gorilla glue, white glue, hot glue, and Target clear tape. Fly when you can.

Bob

Geoffrito
10-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Well I took some pictures of the fuselage. As you can see, it's mostly covered in white econokote...just a few areas to get. Haven't installed radio gear, although you can probably see that the motor is there. Still http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z114/geoffrito/se5a003.jpghttp://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z114/geoffrito/se5a002.jpghttp://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z114/geoffrito/se5a001.jpgneed to sand and cover the wings.

Voyager2lcats
10-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Geoffrito,
Very nice! I don't have radio gear installed either. I ordered a Blue Bird receiver and two E-Sky 8g servos from BP Hobbies today, so I'll probably see them next Monday. ESC and battery are fitted- although I am wondering what I am going to use as a battery hatch and how I will use rubber bands and/or velcro patches to keep it inside the fuselage. I am open to ideas at this time!;) My wings are still a work in progress still need to do the top ones.:o Thanks for the pictures!:)

Well I took some pictures of the fuselage. As you can see, it's mostly covered in white econokote...just a few areas to get. Haven't installed radio gear, although you can probably see that the motor is there. Still need to sand and cover the wings.

Geoffrito
10-31-2007, 08:52 PM
thank you! you're too kind :)
I've been focusing mainly on the fuselage...fixing the wings might be an ordeal after they way I botched them. ah well... a bit of sanding will probably do the trick. I was thinking of using small magnets for the battery hatch...my lipo fits the hole exactly, so that ought to be good.
are you using anything to reinforce the wings?

Voyager2lcats
10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes, I borrowed SaucerGuy's recommendation to use the strapping tape that is used to bind newspapers (tough nylon strips) and adhering it to each wing with packing tape. Two down, two to go! Since I am using airfoil formers under each wing, I have a flat approximately 3/8" foam spar running most of the underside of each wing. They seem pretty light and yet sturdy- the proof is going to be during the maiden flight.:rolleyes:
If you are REALLY dissatisfied with the wings, you could always make another set (it would be a minor ordeal). I like the idea of small magnets- I keep thinking about using them, but never doing it. Do any of the home repair "warehouses" (Lowe's or Home Depot) sell them? They are the really strong rare earth metal ones.

thank you! you're too kind :)
I've been focusing mainly on the fuselage...fixing the wings might be an ordeal after they way I botched them. ah well... a bit of sanding will probably do the trick. I was thinking of using small magnets for the battery hatch...my lipo fits the hole exactly, so that ought to be good.
are you using anything to reinforce the wings?

Old Fart
10-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Bob, try Radio Shack for the magnets. As with anything else there - plan on finding it yourself :)

Geoffrito
11-01-2007, 03:08 AM
I think I can fix up the wings with a bit (lot) of sanding.....
where do you get said strapping tape? sounds like a brilliant idea ;)

Grasshopper
11-01-2007, 03:11 AM
I found some really small and strong magnets at Hobby Lobby (the craft store). They were in packs of 8 for under $3.

Voyager2lcats
11-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Old Fart and Tom, thank you for the suggestions on magnets. Just so happens there are a Hobby Lobby (crafts version) and a Radio Shack close by. I will investigate said commercial establishments.;)
Geoffrito, I get the nylon packing straps off of the Fort Jackson Leader stack that gets delivered to our office on Thursdays.:D That won't help you, but SaucerGuy says you can get packs of it at Lowe's hardware. I haven't checked the one nearest me, but I will the next time I am there you can bet your sweet bippy (quote from TV show "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" when I was a child!). Yes, I am old.;) Check out SaucerGuy's earlier post on this thread about his Simple Stick scratch build- it has a link that will illustrate exactly what to do. It looks like the ideal stiffener at very little cost in weight. Keep building fellows, one of us is going to fly this baby yet!

Grasshopper
11-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Here are the magnets I found Bob. Actually, there are 10 to a pack.

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=31361&dep=50&cat=6&subcat=10&Search=Y

Voyager2lcats
11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Tom, you are quite the scrounger for all things RC-related.;) But thank you again. How many of these magnets do you think it would take to hold a 70 gram battery with an 8 mm foam battery hatch? I will try to read my crystal ball here, I am guessing you will say to make it out of balsa or ply.;)

Here are the magnets I found Bob. Actually, there are 10 to a pack.

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=31361&dep=50&cat=6&subcat=10&Search=Y

Grasshopper
11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Tom, you are quite the scrounger for all things RC-related.;) But thank you again. How many of these magnets do you think it would take to hold a 70 gram battery with an 8 mm foam battery hatch? I will try to read my crystal ball here, I am guessing you will say to make it out of balsa or ply.;)

I ran some quick calculations on my foam battery hatch conversion program it it says to use just enough but no so many that you add too much weight. Let me know if I can help with anything else.:rolleyes:

Voyager2lcats
11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Hmm. Is that a trace of sarcasm I detect? Wow, I really need one of those balsa-to-foam converters. Do you have any extras laying around? Ouch. Yeah, I did ask a silly question.:red: Your efforts are not being discounted. I think the old "try the magnets and see what works" method is the route to take. Some days you just have to take your flying cats with a grain of salt.:)

I ran some quick calculations on my foam battery hatch conversion program it it says to use just enough but no so many that you add too much weight. Let me know if I can help with anything else.:rolleyes:

Voyager2lcats
11-02-2007, 05:37 AM
These pictures aren't completely up-to-date; I've got the airfoil ribs in place on the top wings. I have added basswood struts to the landing gear to make it look more scale. I like the blue color. I like it so much I am thinking of going mostly blue above on wings and fuselage. I have the battery velcroed into the battery slot at present. Yes, I will be getting magnets (thank you again Tom and Old Fart for your advice) for the battery hatch. Currently, I need to finish the wing center pieces, fit the wings together, add cabanes and struts, and magnetize the battery hatch. Interior is ready for Rx and servos once they arrive on Monday. Attach control lines and horns to rudder and elevator and she'll be done. Enjoy.

Grasshopper
11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Looks nice Bob.

Voyager2lcats
11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks Tom, it's a little labor of love. I cannot wait to fly this one.:)

Looks nice Bob.

Voyager2lcats
11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't have much to add in this post, but I have received the last components necessary for making this little bipe fly.:) Receiver is a Blue Bird BMR-04, and servos are E-Sky EK2-050 8 gram micro servos. Wings are together.:):) Now I need to make struts and cabanes followed by serious fun.;) I will post pics when she is together. Oh yes, must shop for magnets.

Voyager2lcats
11-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I mentioned I received my Rx and servos? Well, I took way too long last night, but they are installed. Not too sure about the permanence of present servo mount method- taped them in. I think I will be cutting a styrene servo mount and gluing to the servo tray. That way I can screw the servos to it and remove them if one/both should lock or burn out- assuming I have a plane left after such an event.;) It's going to be close- this weekend could be a double red letter if I get my wife to fly and I maiden the SE5a. I will still have to paint the lower wing bright red in order to honor Old Fart and make the plane discernible (like that word?:)) at a distance. For everyone who has posted to this thread or read it and enjoyed it, I thank you and wish you good flying weather.

Grasshopper
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Good luck with the flight Bob. Do we get to see any pictures of the finished plane?

Voyager2lcats
11-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Tom, you bet! I would not think of depriving anyone of that. I wish I was faster, because I would love to put the bright blue paint job on her before the maiden. But flying is more important than appearance (Gasp! Yes, I said it.;)). It seems a little nose-heavy at present, but I will know more once control horns and wings are in place. I still have the little ball bearing counterweight lying around from my Estes P-47, so it might find employment once again if the CG is way off.:) Balancing an airplane is always such fun- not!;)

Good luck with the flight Bob. Do we get to see any pictures of the finished plane?

Geoffrito
11-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Voyager, have you attached the struts yet? I was wondering if there was some step I was missing here, because the foam seems a bit flimsy to hold them. Best of luck with the maiden =)

Voyager2lcats
11-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Voyager, have you attached the struts yet? I was wondering if there was some step I was missing here, because the foam seems a bit flimsy to hold them. Best of luck with the maiden =)

Hey Geoffrito, I was working on them tonight. I haven't finished them because the glue is drying.:o I left the top bracing off and have them stuck in the top wing until I fit the bottom bracing into the bottom wing. I glued the struts to the bottom bracings and will fit them to the bottom wing and align with top wing. Cabanes are done at least. Whoo, how to answer your question? If your fit is flimsy, I would suggest Gorilla glue to expand in the wing slots and "firm up" the fit of your struts. I believe the cabanes will do most of the work in supporting the upper wing, but I am not there yet. Hey you're ahead of me- how did that happen?:rolleyes: SaucerGuy or Old Fart are good people to ask. If they see this, I am sure one or both will chime in. Looks like you're in the lead right now Geoffrito. If you get the Gorilla glue, let me know if that does the trick. You might even need to use nylon line to tighten up your struts (just like the real ones did;)). I wish I could be of more help.

Geoffrito
11-11-2007, 03:10 PM
actually, I'm not ready to attach the wings..I'm still sanding them smooth, but I should be able to start covering them soon. Of course, I need to attach pushrods too and fix the elevator, because the two halves aren't really connected firmly enough. I might be able to install some of the struts tonight...time will tell!! best of luck.

Old Fart
11-11-2007, 05:57 PM
My first guess would be UHU or POR

Geoffrito
11-19-2007, 03:09 AM
Well, the plane is covered and epoxy on the top wing is curing now. I decided to make the bottom wing removable for access to the electronics. So far i've installed the rudder pushrod and figured out servo mounting, but thats about it. The wheels I whipped up from some scrap balsa and FFF....I might be getting some O-rings to use as tyres as mine, hewn from urethane foam, are admittedly a bit rough. Hopefully she'll be ready to maiden by next weekend =D

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z114/geoffrito/SE5a005.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z114/geoffrito/SE5a004.jpghttp://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z114/geoffrito/SE5a003-1.jpg

Voyager2lcats
11-19-2007, 05:37 AM
It's almost the moment of truth. I need to finish the battery hatch and laterally balance her. She rolls over to the left when I balance her. This will not do. I will be placing a washer or two on the right wing and see how it goes. It might be the wheels that are doing it- they're really a bit heavy so I may get some light ones in near future. I still need to adapt a mini deans plug to charge the battery, so BP Hobbies should get another order tomorrow.:) I am going to try and post my latest pic and upload the rest later (time consuming on the non-DSL computer).

Grasshopper
11-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Looks good Bob! I'll bet she flys great.

Voyager2lcats
11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Looking very nice. I am afraid my wings look quite crude by comparison. The question remains: Will she fly? I will find out this coming weekend if the weather is right (fingers crossed). Looks like my pictures posted from (yawn) last night. I know she's not pretty, but she is mine.;) Take care and look forward to see how your flying goes.

Well, the plane is covered and epoxy on the top wing is curing now. I decided to make the bottom wing removable for access to the electronics. So far i've installed the rudder pushrod and figured out servo mounting, but thats about it. The wheels I whipped up from some scrap balsa and FFF....I might be getting some O-rings to use as tyres as mine, hewn from urethane foam, are admittedly a bit rough. Hopefully she'll be ready to maiden by next weekend =D

Voyager2lcats
11-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey Tom,

Thank you. I will let you know how she flies! Or if she doesn't.:( Maidens are definitely the time to sweat bullets.:eek: I will post any crash photos for everyone's "amusement".;) I've got the rare earth magnets from Hobby Lobby, by the way. They were the last pack in the store!!! That particular store is so lame- no RC related material. If it weren't for the crafts section, I wouldn't have the magnets. I had good luck.:) Fly when you can. Congratulations on flying your rejuvenated E-Flite P-47, she looks beautiful.

Looks good Bob! I'll bet she flys great.

Geoffrito
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Looking very nice. I am afraid my wings look quite crude by comparison. The question remains: Will she fly? I will find out this coming weekend if the weather is right (fingers crossed). Looks like my pictures posted from (yawn) last night. I know she's not pretty, but she is mine.;) Take care and look forward to see how your flying goes.

ha! My wings wouldn't look half as good without my handy monokote ;)
they're covered with epoxy and carbon fiber all over the place... can't tell underneath the red/white though =D

I need to finish my landing gear, battery hatch and control linkages...as well as permanently install radio gear.... then its all systems go!
best of luck on your maiden.

Voyager2lcats
11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
You've got to do what you've got to do to make her look pretty. Me, I have a long way to go in that department. If she doesn't fly right, it will take even longer as I obsess over what is wrong. I don't do any additional work until I prove the bird can fly.:rolleyes:

ha! My wings wouldn't look half as good without my handy monokote ;)
they're covered with epoxy and carbon fiber all over the place... can't tell underneath the red/white though =D

I need to finish my landing gear, battery hatch and control linkages...as well as permanently install radio gear.... then its all systems go!
best of luck on your maiden.

Geoffrito
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Well i suppose...but I think this one will fly well...its especially light, considering how sturdy it all is... particularly the wings.
Anyway, i've figured out rough placement of everything..its a bit cramped, so there's not much room to move things around for balance... on the plus side the battery is a perfect fit in the monobloc recess. All i really need to do is attach the wheels, prop, and pushrods :D

I'm really happy with it...looks wicked.

Voyager2lcats
11-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Hey Geoffrito,
I would agree there is not much room to move servos or battery for balancing. The CG on mine is about 2" instead of 2.5", but I don't think it will be a big deal once she's airborne. We'll see. I am going to paint the bottom wing some more tomorrow night. I need to take a break tonight. I ordered a mini deans plug, alligator clip charge plugs and a 3 mm prop saver today, so they'll be arriving some time late in the week, maybe early next week. I could try and fly without charging, but would prefer not to.:( Keep those pictures coming. Good night!

Voyager2lcats
12-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, she's ready to go (plane, not my wife!). Hopefully she'll feel better tomorrow, because the weather the past three days has been unbelievably beautiful. I recommend South Carolina in November and December for RC flying.;) Since I promised I would not fly without my wife present to record the glorious event, I am in a self-imposed holding pattern. What I will try to do this week is add some build thread pictures for this plane. I will try to make alternate suggestions as time permits. I have definitely come to the conclusion that there are multiple ways of building this plane, and all of them are correct! Fly when you can and hope to hear from you.

Voyager2lcats
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I am going to fly during lunch today to see how this baby flies. Good, bad, or indifferent, this plane is going to rise off the ground and get some air time. No camera, no one but me unfortunately, but I can't watch two good weekends go by without flying this thing and then see the weather go bad. Maybe I'll have pictures for the new year and post them!:)

Bob

pburt1975
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I am going to fly during lunch today to see how this baby flies. Good, bad, or indifferent, this plane is going to rise off the ground and get some air time. No camera, no one but me unfortunately, but I can't watch two good weekends go by without flying this thing and then see the weather go bad. Maybe I'll have pictures for the new year and post them!:)

Bob

Just bring it home in one piece cap'n and all's forgiven :)

Good luck on your maiden!! very nice looking Bipe!

Voyager2lcats
12-10-2007, 05:19 PM
pburt1975,

Thank you. Bringing it home in one piece is my major objective. Test flight is all this is- nothing fancy. No maneuvers other than one circular fly-by and a landing.;)

Just bring it home in one piece cap'n and all's forgiven :)

Good luck on your maiden!! very nice looking Bipe!

FlyingMonkey
12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
that's what you say now...

Voyager2lcats
12-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Ah FlyingMonkey, you are very close to correct. I flew it twice. Got hooked by a gust the first time and did a ground loop. Then it 's show time! She flies like a champ, definitely a docile flier. Plopped her down on the tarmac and put her in the car trunk returned to work and will celebrate with a nice paint job of the entire plane in the near future.

that's what you say now...

Grasshopper
12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Congrats on the maiden Bob. Looking forward to seeing the paint job.

Voyager2lcats
12-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Thank you Tom. I was pleasantly surprised at how well she flew- she's a bit heavy with the NiMH, but has plenty of power. Lifts off very well-mannered!:) Paint job is forthcoming.

Congrats on the maiden Bob. Looking forward to seeing the paint job.

Voyager2lcats
01-08-2008, 04:36 AM
After a long pause for the holidays, I am trying to make this thread relevant by actually posting a picture. This is what "Voyager" looks like with Apple Barrel acrylic gloss Real Blue(about 75 cents @ Michaels). I have started the underside wing with Real Red, so I'll show it when there is actually more to show than a partial (ugly) unfinished underside.;) I hope this thread has been helpful to those of you interested in doing a nice scratch build project for the winter. Thanks for everyone's input and comments. For those of you who are lurking, I hope you have enjoyed seeing this pleasant little bipe. Fly when you can,

Bob

P.S. I will be adding my "Flying Cat" logo to the fuselage sides under the cockpit.:)

degreen60
01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
The plane needs a gun on top of the upper wing. Look here. Enlarge and print it out. Glue it on foam. Should look good.

http://paperwings.phobby.com/images/free_downloads/weapons/vickers_k.pdf

Voyager2lcats
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey degreen60,
You're correct, but I am going for a "civilian" SE5a!;) I think it is one of the most streamlined WW1 Allied fighters and certainly gives the Tiger Moth a run for the money in the looks and handling categories. Fly when you can,

Bob

The plane needs a gun on top of the upper wing. Look here. Enlarge and print it out. Glue it on foam. Should look good.

http://paperwings.phobby.com/images/free_downloads/weapons/vickers_k.pdf

Grasshopper
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I like the blue and white paint scheme I think they look cool in those colors.

Voyager2lcats
01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I just wanted to do a different take on it. Nothing historical, just the plane itself in my own "livery".:) I have a long way to go on doing a top notch paint job. But it's a lot of fun once I commit myself!;) Thanks again.

I like the blue and white paint scheme I think they look cool in those colors.

Voyager2lcats
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, the NiMH is sitting too far forward in the SE5a- which I mentioned before but failed to do anything about. The wind was gusting today and I flew anyway(! BAD!!). I tried taking off from grass, but she's too heavy with that fat NiMH in there, so I used the road next to the soccer field where I flew. She lifted off with close to full up elevator:blah:, and I got her over the field when the wind blew her sideways and she was still too low to turn and maintain altitude so I cut power and dove into the ground pretty much none the worse for wear!:) She's tough. I definitely need to rethink the landing gear axle, because it is always coming disconnected after a hard landing. I am going to balance her tomorrow and find a better battery placement than at present- battery definitely needs to move rearward to balance the plane better (presently slightly nose-heavy). She looks good. Flying nose heavy isn't too bad, but balanced is better!;)

Bob

Geoffrito
02-18-2008, 04:34 AM
I just wanted to do a different take on it. Nothing historical, just the plane itself in my own "livery".:) I have a long way to go on doing a top notch paint job. But it's a lot of fun once I commit myself!;) Thanks again.

Same deal with mine, the red/white, I suppose. Although I need to finish it up- the build is in the stage I find most boring; all the wiring up and hooking up electronics. :blah:
almost done though... almost.

Voyager2lcats
02-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Hey Geoffrito, good for you! Building: I hate soldering the most. I am always messing it up and having to redo joints that are gloppy or suspect. I am always glad when I test the motor and servos and everything behaves normally. This was my first brushless motor and ESC, so I was a little concerned I would mess it up. Right now I need to balance CG (would you believe the battery is going in behind the servos?), repair/replace landing gear axle, and glue a cracked spar on the right wing. Oy!!:blah:

Bob

Same deal with mine, the red/white, I suppose. Although I need to finish it up- the build is in the stage I find most boring; all the wiring up and hooking up electronics. :blah:
almost done though... almost.

Voyager2lcats
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I have not posted anything meaningful to WattFlyer in quite a while, but I have rebuilt the SE5a (wings, electronics, LiPo) and I have flown it. It needs lateral balance (might be wing warping or combination imbalance). I have finally joined the 2.4 Ghz club as local ranges operate on 72 Mhz at times with fatal effects on transmitters/receivers.:blah: I will be posting some pictures soon. Cheers to all my WattFlyer friends.

Bob

baz49exe
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey Bob. you're back on line!:D
An SE5a sounds great; really looking forward to the finished pics on here.
I would really like to have a WW1 type in my collection :cool:.

solentlife
01-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Maybe a look up at Scratchbuild listings where I built a full supposed 3D SE5 ?

I reduced it to sport ... not being a 3D person.

Nigel

Voyager2lcats
01-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Barry I am making more effort at viewing as I am currently not in the mood to build (flying weather has gotten cold as well). I still need to find where I stashed my GWS props for this model!????

Bob