PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Soldering Iron for R/C Products!

modPRO
09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.mod-pro.com/images/mp61-1.jpg

Model MP-61 is a cordless Soldering Iron powered by 3 AA batteries (included). This is perfect for R/C products or simply anything else that needs soldering but the poweroutlet is out of reach or not available.

For inquiry, more info and technical details please visit www.mod-pro.com (http://www.mod-pro.com/)

FlyingMonkey
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I want something like this. Especially with the way I fly, and as often as I am yanking and replacing spent batteries. I tend to break solder points at least once a week.

Just a note though...

Maybe showing a picture of the actual product, and not just a CGI mock-up. It would add confidence that there is an actual product.... :D

gfdengine204
09-14-2007, 03:07 PM
What is a CGI mock-up?

TICA
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
CGI = Computer Graphics Interface (or Imagery) is one use of CGI.

The cordless iron has a very low thermal mass at the tip. It will work for joining very light wire or wire to switch connections, but probably not 1/4 inch wide battery tabs.

FlyingMonkey
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Computer Generated Image

The website shows one in a photoshoot laying next to an RC car....

But it is real.

FlyingMonkey
09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
CGI = Computer Graphics Interface (or Imagery) is one use of CGI.

The cordless iron has a very low thermal mass at the tip. It will work for joining very light wire or wire to switch connections, but probably not 1/4 inch wide battery tabs.

I had a feeling that would be the case.

The only cordless soldering iron I had ever tried, was pretty weak...

phupper
09-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I tried one of the "Cold Heat" battery irons. It was hard to get solder to melt, and the tip would stick to the work. Tip finally burned up.

I have a butane powered protable (Radio Shack I think) I use for remote soldering jobs that works pretty well.

adamdb
09-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I have one that looks similar to this that is made by Weller. Also powered by 3 AA batteries, and it works great. These are in no way similar to the "Cold Heat" irons (mine actually works!). It is true that the small tip makes it unsuitable for soldering battery tabs or what-not, but it works great for wire to wire connections and similar.