PDA

View Full Version : quick poll i cant afford to make another mistake

rmbler
11-15-2005, 02:22 AM
hi all just need a quick answer and as many as possible in your opinion how do you rate the hibbico mkII field charger for li-po's i need to make an educated and safe purchase please as many of you that have a second tell me what you think.
thanks,
Phil

ps. yes i posted this on RCU as well but i need to be sure this is a safe charger

Darrell B.
11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
It will charge Lipos but is severely limited as to its flexibility. I would rather see you choose a Lipo dedicated charger that will offer more safeguards, and a larger variety of charge settings. One that will charge as many amps as you may need.

My vote: go with the Astro 109.

Good Luck,
Darrell

RiverPlane
11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I use the MKII to charge my GWS 2S1P 7.4 V 2200 maH LiPo. Put the Amp knob in 0.5 A for the first 2 or 3 charges, then you can use 0.7 / 0.8 A, MAX 1 A. The charge time is longer, but is safer for the life of the battery.
Push 3 times the button 'til gets green, then the charge cut itself (with a 3 times chime) when 8.4 V is reached (measured with a polimeter without been discharged). I hook the polimeter in the Meter, but its measures are differents during charge process than measuring the batt itself once unplugged from charger (you can push the buton once, disconnect the batt and do the measure; then plug the batt again, push the button 3 times... etc.)

hole digger
11-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Astro 109 slam dunk!:D

bz1mcr
11-15-2005, 04:02 PM
I have one and love it. I see no safety issues other than you must manually tell it what type of battery is connected. NiCad, NiMH, or LiPo.

It will not charge Lipos to absolute full charge (4.24V/cell). It stops short at about 4.0-4.1 V/cell. That is a nice safety factor for us casual flyers, but the racers and others who want absolute peak performance won't get it from this charger.

There was a thread with a lot of discussion about it at RCGroups a few weeks ago.

strawcuter
11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
I agree with the Astro 109

DickCorby
11-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Buy a good charger up fornt, and you avoid the problems associated with Li-Po's The only thing left that can screw up is you. Cheap chargers can cost you a bundle in the long run. Get a charger dedicated to Li-Po's only. You'll be glad you did.

Astro has been in my box for 2 years now. Charging anything from 1S to 9S, 350 MAH to 6000MAH, and it still works like a charm. Dont settle for less than the best charger.

heartbeat
11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
I am just getting in to e-fly. The guys at my field use the MK II about 2 to 1. They fly 3D and others. it seems to do the job very well. I have been using it on my other airplanes for nicds and nmh a long time and i love it. No one that I know has ever had one, that has blowen up.(but just the thought makes me think twice). They tell me to stay with the batt, till it has charged,just to be safe and this old man in Texas is going to do just that.

Rugar
11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Another vote for the Astro Flight 109.

heartbeat
11-15-2005, 07:13 PM
HAY YOU ARE FROM california that vote dosent count . darn i was born there. but thats my dads fault. (ALWAYS USE THE ELEVATOR WHEN LANDING) OLD MAN IN TEXAS

DickCorby
11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
I am just getting in to e-fly. The guys at my field use the MK II about 2 to 1. They fly 3D and others. it seems to do the job very well. I have been using it on my other airplanes for nicds and nmh a long time and i love it. No one that I know has ever had one, that has blowen up.(but just the thought makes me think twice). They tell me to stay with the batt, till it has charged,just to be safe and this old man in Texas is going to do just that.

Another consideration is when you begin to build bigger planes and go up to packs above 2000 MAH, you need the added output to still get a charge in an hour at the 1 C rate. I'm charging 9S-2P packs in my bigger planes, and doing it in approximately one hour. The smaller charger might get the pack up in 3-4 hours or longer.

For small packs in the foamy flying range, you are OK. It still isnt charging at the 1C rate in most cases, and takes a lot longer to get a pack charged. The guys flying the stryker at the field are waiting about 1.5 hours for a flyable charge.

I just like to advise people to think down the road in their pursuit of the hobby. If this is something you feel you will be doing for a long time make a larger investment it top of the line gear at the start. If you arent sure, got cheap.

Rugar
11-15-2005, 07:34 PM
HAY YOU ARE FROM california that vote dosent count . darn i was born there. but thats my dads fault. (ALWAYS USE THE ELEVATOR WHEN LANDING) OLD MAN IN TEXAS

Heartbeat,
This is off topic, but you can put "(ALWAYS USE THE ELEVATOR WHEN LANDING)" in your signature so you don't have to type it out for every post. It will do it automatically for you. Just click on "User CP" which is in the top left of your screen, then click on "Edit Signature" which will be on the top left, and then type in the white box anything that you want to come up for all your posts. Then just click "Save Signature and thats it.

yorcram
11-15-2005, 07:37 PM
I use the Mk2. so far no problems with it.
As stated already, it will not give a full charge ( so it can't over charge your Lipo's ) to the batteries. It is good for parkflyers but won't handle large battery packs. I only fly small stuff so it meets my needs.

Cheers,
Marc

RiverPlane
11-15-2005, 07:56 PM
MKII cost me less than $50, has two ports and do the job very well. At THIS moment I don't need a $150 - 6000mAh chager. Maybe later.

Steve
11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Astro 109 or Triton.

I have a Triton and a MKII (The MKII was my first charger). I use the Triton for lipos, NIMH's and to recharge my lead cells that I have hooked up to my MKII. I use the MKII as a field charger..mostly for NIMH's and occasionally for lipos, but only if I can keep a close eye on it. I've had occasions when it continues to charge NIMH's until they get quite hot, so I tend not to trust it with my lipos.

heartbeat
11-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks Rugger Thanks Alot. You Are A Good Man

Rugar
11-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks Rugger Thanks Alot. You Are A Good Man
Your quite welcome. Now no more wise cracks about Calif. (I do it enough on my own! :p)

ragbag
11-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Multiplex LN 5014

Astro 109

As you get into it, then you can go for the whiz bang of the day. Either one of these will serve you well until that day. The LN5014 is a multi unit charger, the 109 is lipo only and a little more costly.

.02 worth.
By George

FlyingAgain
11-16-2005, 02:55 AM
I have the Hobbico MkII charger. I have been using it a little over a year now with no problems. It is limited to smaller batteries. The max charge rate for lipos is 1 amp. If I remember right it also has a 2 hour safety cutoff. That means you need to stay under 2000Mah or the charger will cut off before the charge completes. For NiCd and NiMh it can go to 2 amps. So you need to stay under 4000Mah for those. I'm happy with this charger for now since I'm not using any large capacity cells.

heartbeat
11-16-2005, 03:27 AM
he he he i was born in San Diego

RiverPlane
11-16-2005, 03:43 AM
FlyingAgain:
If I remember right it also has a 2 hour safety cutoff
I did charge my LiPo the first time more than 3 hours at 0.6 A ratio 'til I decided to stop. Later I realize it has a chime function.

rmbler
11-17-2005, 02:22 AM
thanks for the input everyone seems like the astro 109 is the hands down winner.

regards,
Phil

FlyingAgain
11-17-2005, 02:48 AM
I looked at the manual for the Hobbico MkII. The safety time value I mentioned in an earlier post was wrong. The saftey time out for NiCd and NiMh is 120 minutes but the time out for LiPo is 180 minutes.

rmbler
11-17-2005, 05:38 AM
i think i gonna ge the astro 109 looks like the choice of most of the people here.

thanks everyone,
Phil.