PDA

View Full Version : Remaideded my Wattage Cessna 182 today.

alienx
09-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I bought this plane as my second plane a little over 2 years ago. I had a PZ Cub first and then I figured this would be a good second plane because it was just a Cessna (:)). And it was a "real" plane because it was balsa (at least the wing was anyway!). Well, I new nothing about wing loading or AUW or high/low rates or exponential, or too much of anything else at the time. So as you might expect, it was a short maiden. It darted around the parking lot I was flying at like a bat chasing bugs. I managed to do a controlled crash, and then I put the plane away and tried others. This one has been in my storage shed for almost two years. I finally got motivated to take it out and see what it flys like.

Well, it flew like a champ (or a madman!::o). I got one flight because I was taxiing back to the parking lot and my prop spun off. And since I was working on it last night, I obviously left the allen wrenches at home!:red:

The plane is the only plane I have ever had that required it to be flown fast. It weighs more than 28 oz. and has a 41" span, but the wing is pretty tiny in other regards. It also has ZERO dihedral. That was only an issue if you like to relax and fly thumbs off ever (figuratively of course).

To keep a long story short, I hand launched it and it was pretty well trimmed. It had no really bad habits, in fact, it was a lot of fun to fly. Very stable, if not for the lack of dihedral. The problem was I knew I would have to land it on the entry road to the field. It is pretty long, but not in great shape, and it has power lined polls right on one side. So I did a couple of "slow" passes down the field to see what it felt like, and then took my chances landing it. The only other plane I've had wheels on is my Super Miss tail-dragger. I never had much luck on that one because it floats a lot, and the gear is very springy, so I usually ended up hopping it into a crash. But it has wide gear, and 2.5" wheels. the Cessna has narrow gear, and 1.25" mains. Should be fun!

So after 2 passes down the grass, I set up over the far end of the road at about 50' and just throttled back a little below cruise. The plane was on a nice glide slope but covering a lot of ground quickly. I had to go around. The next time, I just did the same thing with a hair less power and it got close enough to the runway to actually land. It was rock solid on the gear, no bouncing or turning. But it moved pretty quickly. It was like skipping a stone in a pond. On the way back to my car, I spun the prop off and that was it for that plane today.

I have no idea how many flights this thing will end up with. It's a pretty high risk plane. Just way too fast. If it didn't weigh so much already, I might have tried to put some flaps on it. And I can only fly it at the field when nobody is there because I need to land on the road. But it was great to get it back in the air with a different set of skills now. To be honest, it flew just like I remebered it, I just had a better chance to control it this time.

Here's a pic or two. The one with the road is after the flight. I just wanted to give it some perspective.

Andy

Grasshopper
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
That's a nice looking plane Andy. Glad you had fun with it.

alienx
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Tom. I hope to fly it again!

Bill G
09-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Most of the ARFs like this plane have undercambers, which really slow things down. I put a Cessna 182 wing on my AR234, and was amazed at the speed difference over the undercambered wing that was on it. The Cessna 182 wing is a pretty sleek wing. Flew great though. The lack of dihedral is not a problem for stability, with the Arado being another high wing design. Very stable.

Love the Cessnas too.
Here's my 20" 150

Airhead
09-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Good lookin" plane. congrats.:)

alienx
09-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Most of the ARFs like this plane have undercambers, which really slow things down. I put a Cessna 182 wing on my AR234, and was amazed at the speed difference over the undercambered wing that was on it. The Cessna 182 wing is a pretty sleek wing. Flew great though. The lack of dihedral is not a problem for stability, with the Arado being another high wing design. Very stable.

Love the Cessnas too.
Here's my 20" 150

Well, I flew mine a few more times and it IS the most stable plane I think I have ever flown. Still a handful to land on my entrance road, but a treat while she's in the air!

alienx
09-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks. This is unfortunately what it looks like now.

I have the parts to do another, so I think it will fly again. I kind of wish it wasn't so sweet in the air. Then I could just forget about it!!

Anyway, I was trying to take off and I got a little towards the pole side of the road and ended up flying it right into a telephone pole. This is the first plane I've crashed in a long time just from being bad!

Grasshopper
09-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Ouch! Sorry to see that Andy.

alienx
09-27-2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks Tom. This one doesn't sting so much. That plane had an expiration date on it from day 1. I thought about just selling the other parts on ebay, but it did fly really nicely. I might have to put the wing back on the other fuse and cowl I have. We'll see.

I just wish I had some video of it so you guys could see how well it flew.

Oh yea, now that I think about it, It should have died on the previous flight. It was foggy that morning and the visibility was right at or below the tree tops. It came and went as the fog rolled through. On the previous flight, it started to get into the mist, and just as I thought to fly lower, it instantly disappeared completely. I had absolutely no idea where it was. So I put a slight bank in and about 3 seconds later it popped out the bottom of the fog , right over the trees at the far end of the field. It wasn't within 100 feet of where I was looking. I instinctively grabbed the elevator, and it happened to have the wings level enough to save it. So I got one more flight out of it tan I deserved!! Now, I'm a little ashamed that I treated a nice plane like that with so little respect.:red:

Bill G
09-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks. This is unfortunately what it looks like now.

I have the parts to do another, so I think it will fly again. I kind of wish it wasn't so sweet in the air. Then I could just forget about it!!

Anyway, I was trying to take off and I got a little towards the pole side of the road and ended up flying it right into a telephone pole. This is the first plane I've crashed in a long time just from being bad!

Looks like very light framing in that plane. Probably may not have taken that much impact to do the damage. You outta see how the front end of my Piper Cherokee is built up now!:eek:

I got tired of the nose wheel causing fuse damage, and rebuilt the hell out of it the second time around.

alienx
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Looks like very light framing in that plane. Probably may not have taken that much impact to do the damage. You outta see how the front end of my Piper Cherokee is built up now!:eek:

I got tired of the nose wheel causing fuse damage, and rebuilt the hell out of it the second time around.

I know what you mean! And you are correct. It's all light ply, but not too much of it. I have no idea what the plastic shell weighs, but it's hard to see where all the weight is coming from. I think it might be the wing itself. It is very sturdy.

I have a brand new fuse and cowl, so I should be able to just swap the parts over (less the battery I had to vent). I would love to put this one behind me but it flew to darned well (not to mention the fact that it lands extremely smoothly, but fast!!. Maybe I'll see if I can add another ounce or so and try to put some flaps on the wing ...

Bill G
10-02-2007, 06:15 PM
My tricycle gear Piper Cherokee had a similar effect due to the incredible stress on the nose gear. If you rebuild it, I'd rebuild the hell out ot it:D like I did. I "repaired" it once, and then it got damaged again. The second time it got seriously rebuilt.