PDA

View Full Version : Air Hogs Aero Ace

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

meegosh
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Has anyone tried one of these little wonders? I have been reading about them over on RCU and it is getting great reviews. Also, there is already quite a list of modifications to be done to them. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with these Air Hogs Aero Ace from Toys R Us. They sell for $29.99 and I saw two of them at the TRU 2 miles from my house. I hid them behind some crappy toys so that I can be sure to get them next time I stop in. :) Hopefully that will be today!

Any comments about these? Thanks in advance.

spark
11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
There's another thread over at RCG about it too. What they're saying is true! Just for kicks I picked one up the other day, and right out of the box after a battery charge, it flew perfectly. I didn't have any problems getting used to its flying abilities and it truely is the first plane that I can fly in my own back yard. I was easily making left and right turns and fig 8s for about 5 minutes till I finally hit a branch. I lowered throttle and it just flopped on the ground, no damage. I've tried other slow flyers in the yard without much success, but this little plane is a really kick in a small space and flies really well. I may get another just to mod. It's worth the 30 bux.

Mike Freas
11-15-2005, 09:34 PM
My son got a 25 dollar gift certificate for Toys R Us for his b-day. Last Friday I took him down there and we start looking around. Because I'm so into R/C he wanted a small plane to fly. I have had several AirHog products and been happy with all the air powered ones but the electric non R/C birds sucked. They had it advertised for 15.98 and it's his money so I got that and a 12 pack of AA's. We got up to the counter and it rang up as 39.99 and I raised the BS flag. The manager took my wife back to where it was and sure enough the sign was there so the manager gave it to us for 16 bucks! I still thought that it was going to be a round file addition after the first flight but the built in lipo gave me hope. We took it out the next morning and the thing flies great! At full power it tends to porpus a bit so throttle management is a must to gain altitude. It doesn't really like the wind to much but does just fine for it's size. The thing that really surprised me was the my son (6) can fly the thing with NO problems at all. He has lots of G3 time which helps but he LOVES this little bird as do I. It's been a few days now and every evening I take the thing out front for a flight. I have yet to run the battery all the way down but 10 min flights are very easy with throttle management. I would really like to get another one to have for myself.

I would also like to put a plug in for the Estest's air powered rocket ( 15 bucks at Wal-Mart). I also got this for my son and it's another great toy for the kids that doesn't require stock in any battery company. We had the rockets up at around the 200' mark in front of the house for a few hours stright. The only down side is the air pump can be broken when several kids try to pump at once. I think Santa will bring another one for him.

meegosh
11-15-2005, 09:47 PM
That's exactly what everyone is saying about this little plane. I'm not sure why they haven't caught on more since you can fly it almost anywhere. I think my buddies an I are going to get a few and do some late night flying in an empty parking lot since we all have day jobs.

Should be a blast. I am also considering adding the lights to it so you can see it better at night.

Got a link to the thread on RCG?

spark
11-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Kind of long thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484

There are only 3 different frequencies on 27mhz, A, B, and C.
Don't remember if the box is marked with freq. or not. Back of Tx has a sticker on it.

meegosh
11-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, people over at RCU told me there is markings on the front of the box and the frequency that is inside the box is checked. So hopefully they will have a couple different frequencies there so that I can pick up a few for my friends and I to mess with. I might aswell get the $5 insurance on it because I know that I am bound to fly it straight into a tree at some point. :)

Thanks for the replies guys and hopefully I will have some pictures of it today. I will try a video but it may be hard if I am flying by myself...

P.S. I see you did the radio mod (removing throttle spring)... how easy was it to do? Any tips before I tear it apart?

Mike Freas
11-16-2005, 07:00 PM
What insurance are you talking about? I would not worry to much about running into things with it. I have hit just about everything in my front yard with no damage what so ever. Most of the time it will hit and keep on flying if your high enough off the ground. I have clipped tree limbs and sent the bird into a flat spin for a few feet and it simply recovers. The biggest danger is kids chasing it around and trying to be the first one to get to it when it lands.

spark
11-16-2005, 07:53 PM
I might aswell get the $5 insurance on it because I know that I am bound to fly it straight into a tree at some point. :)

P.S. I see you did the radio mod (removing throttle spring)... how easy was it to do? Any tips before I tear it apart?

Like Mike said, flying it straight into a tree probably won't hurt it any. They are very light for the type of foam that's used, so damage will be minimal.

For the Tx mod, take the 7 screws out of the back and remove the FCC sticker on the top, and unscrew and remove the antenna, and just carefully, since there are wires connecting the two, pull the front and back apart. Just loosen the screw holding the spring on the throttle stick and push the spring out of the way and retighten the screw and put it back together. Pretty easy.

Mike Freas
11-16-2005, 09:15 PM
I have yet to see any damage on mine and I have flown into the side of my house, trees, street signs, my car and a few death spirals from about 10 ft. The only thing I have had to do was add some hot glue in a few spots where the wing joints and struts lost their stickyness (sp)

spark
11-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Here is another thread about them started back in June by a guy in the Netherlands. Has some more useful info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382167

NitroCharged
11-16-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm busy playing with mods to the rxer at the moment. :)

savydad
11-19-2005, 07:38 AM
I've really enjoyed mine, which I've had over a month now. I took out the spring in the throttle stick, and adjusted the cg with a small washer in the nose. Recently I took off the bottom wings and it flies faster and more stable, with longer flights from lower drag. Excellent plane for $30 imho

Todd

hoppy
11-20-2005, 04:21 PM
ON SALE BLACK FRIDAY
SKYWINDER STUNT PLANE

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001A8EI4/ref=pd_null_recs_t_i/102-4684652-3841766?v=glance&s=toys

Got me the AeroAce today and was surprised at how small it is. Really neat little package and the 10min (advertised) flying time is a big +. Did the throttle control mod which can be done by just slightly opening the throttle side of the case. Can't wait to chase the cat!

Mike Freas
11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
I went out to the local dirt lot on Sunday and everyone was asking questions about this little thing. I think the local Toys-r-Us is going to be sold out soon! One technicial note. I did manage to loose control attempting a high altitude flight. I'd bet I was close to the 300' mark when it happened.

Mike Freas
11-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Well my Ace seems to be dead. I had it packed in a case for the long Thanksgiving trip and it got slightly smashed on the way. I figured it would be no big deal but it will not fly anymore. I have tried everything I can think of but it turns hard left and goes into a spiral every time you launch it. I pulled the bottom wings. No effect. I taped the bottom wings on the top wings like some folks from RCU. No effect. I'm at a loss now. The only time you can get it to fly is with full right stick and it still goes left. It sounds like both motors are turning at the same RPM. Anyone have any ideas?

NitroCharged
11-25-2005, 10:36 PM
in what direction are the motors pointing?
Has one gone out of whack and is pointing funny?
I got mine to turn tight circles by trimming down the rudder and turning both motors inward towards the fuse so the blades were just missing the rear of the wing. :)
While I was trying to get it right I had the problem you had and it wasnt easy to tell that the motor wasnt positioned properly.

Larry Marshall
11-25-2005, 10:42 PM
now. The only time you can get it to fly is with full right stick and it still goes left. It sounds like both motors are turning at the same RPM. Anyone have any ideas?

Sure sounds to me like one or more of the control surfaces have gotten out of alignment. My guess would be either a warp in one wing panel or the rudder. What happens if you just try to glide it?

NitroCharged
11-25-2005, 10:50 PM
good question :)

Mike Freas
12-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Forgot that I posted that question here also. I had a wing warp problem that I solved by bending the wing and test gliding it. I really don't like the way it flies without the bottom wing as it's to fast to fly in front of the house.

hoppy
12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
AeroAce - All are NOT created equal
Aeroace (AA) #1.
A blue, channel A model that had the following flight characteristics-
Left turns caused the plane to dive strongly. Usually into the ground.
Right turns only banked slightly.
Porpoised strongly at all flight speeds.
Adding nose weight to the point the plane never would fly (rise) still didn't solve the porpoising problem. Neither did elevator adjustments. It either porpoised or dove into the ground.
Nothing in the alignment of the parts looked wrong. Oh, by the way, I also tried the no lower wing mod and the cut off the lower wing at the struts mod. Neither helped.
After reading all the reports about how well these planes were flying I decided mine had a serious problem so I returned it for a replacement.

AeroAce #2
A yellow, channel B model that flew pretty good right out of the box. Easy to fly in a small space. No serious porpoising, no left turn dives. It was easy to put it in a harrier position.
Now we're walking the walk!!!
Lesson learned - if it doesn't fly right, take it back..... it's that specific plane that has a problem.

I noticed that the "good flyer" has it's right wings 1/4" higher than the corresponding left wings...definitely asymmetrical.
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_invisible.gif

hoppy
12-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Pictures- How does yours look?

qban_flyer
12-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Gosh!

That left top wing panel looks awfully warped and bent, not to mention the way the struts are missaligned.

Do all of them look this bad? I was going to trek to TRUs tomorrow to get me one of them. I think I'll still go, but I'll do so just to see what these things look like up close. :confused:

spark
12-04-2005, 03:34 AM
Pretty symmetrical here....it's a channel C.

hoppy
12-04-2005, 03:41 AM
So much for that theory...... I think qban is right, the left wing is warped down. The strut positions just look out of line - optical illusion in the photo.

hoppy
12-04-2005, 04:49 AM

You need a better paint job - take it back :)

kepople
12-04-2005, 05:07 AM
I have been trying find a couple of these, but no one shows them on web sites or has them in stock around Dallas.

Toys Rus carries them?
Kirby

savydad
12-04-2005, 05:30 AM
yes, toys'r'us has them in stores, just not @amazon or tru.com...many have found them in all bigger cities with good stock

Todd

qban_flyer
12-04-2005, 03:22 PM

YUP! It certainly does.

How does it fly?

I'll be at their store in another 45 minutes to check them out, and possibly get me one of them. :)

spark
12-04-2005, 04:44 PM
This place lists them online, but at a higher price than TRU.

http://flyingtoystore.com/radio-control.html

qban_flyer
12-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Well, I visited the T"R"Us store near me to check these things out.

Out of six in stock I opened four before I found one without flaws of one type or another. Some had warped wings while others had missaligned parts.

I got me version A which is black and silver and I can honestly say that it is as cute as Lady Bug. I don't think I'll add the provided decals as they might make it "heavier".

I've read elsewhere in this and other threads about their small size, but I was not prepared for something this small, you got to see it to believe it. The thing's wingspan is 8 5/8" and its length just measures 9 1/4"!

Total weight is 15 grams, just .6 ounces! Can't wait to get its battery all charged up to go fly it. Or as the manual puts it, "play it" (?).

If it flies as good as it looks, @ $29.99 this will be one the better bargains available in R/C land today. :)

rocket_jim
12-04-2005, 11:25 PM
This place lists them online, but at a higher price than TRU.

http://flyingtoystore.com/radio-control.html

Thanks, I've made several phone calls to local toy stores and several wasted trips to TRU looking for these. It's good to know where they actually can be found.

nstaller
12-05-2005, 05:59 AM
I picked one up the other day and I love it.My sons have been flying/crashing it everyday and it is still flying fine.The only mod I am gonna do is put some LG on it(it needs a little nose weight).Even my 2 yr old has been flying it!:D :D

qban_flyer
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I picked one up the other day and I love it.My sons have been flying/crashing it everyday and it is still flying fine.The only mod I am gonna do is put some LG on it(it needs a little nose weight).Even my 2 yr old has been flying it!:D :D

I just got back home from that park .2 mile from the house. First things, first. I have to find a way to disengage the spring from that throttle stick. I had to fight it to be able to keep the model at the same attitude and speed. :o

I guess they do it this way in order for the thing not to start spinning the props accidentally on powering up when kids are using them. There may even be a post on this thread regarding this 'mod'. :)

Once I do that, this thing will be a rather nice addition to my hangar. Those two little motors (1/4" dia) are rather powerful! I'll say this much, it is cute in the air, turns on a dime and it will be something different to fly in the back yard, especially with temps @ 36°, brrrr!!! :p

Really a winner, especially when total investment (inc. 6 AA alkaline cells for the TX/CHARGER) was under $37!!!

qban_flyer
12-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Can't wait to chase the cat!

Now, that's an idea worth considering when the feline friend misbehaves! :D

hoppy
12-05-2005, 02:36 PM
1. Peel back FCC sticker
2. Remove 7 screws holding TX together
3. Gently open TX case about 1/2" on throttle stick side.
4. Using a small screwdriver, pop spring leg off of the tang on the throttle stick.
5. Reassemble.

qban_flyer
12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
1. Peel back FCC sticker
2. Remove 7 screws holding TX together
3. Gently open TX case about 1/2" on throttle stick side.
4. Using a small screwdriver, pop spring leg off of the tang on the throttle stick.
5. Reassemble.

Thanks Hoppy.

This little thing promises to be one of the must fun flying machines I haver messed with. :D

frvrngn
12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
I just picked up an Orange channel C. It flies great! I cant believe how fun this little plane is for $30. I am using Energizer 2500mah NiMh batteries and have over a dozen charges with no loss yet in charge time. How many charges are you guys averaging before you need to recharge the TX batts? I am going to go purchase another this week so I can mod and play with it more and leave this one alone. I may even get another for my wife to fly with, she's too afraid to touch my larger planes and there is no way she could hurt the Aero Ace. Best $30 I spent on this hobby in a while.

savydad
12-05-2005, 07:56 PM
frvrngn, I charge mine every 10 cycles or so, the range gets affected pretty badly on my 2200mah AA's after about dozen recharges. Yes, agree the best $30 I've spent in r/c after 15 years. No other "toy" out there is capable of this much.

qban, just like hoppy said, it's a matter of 5 minutes or so...there is a screw on the side of the throttle stick if you need to loosen it a bit to make the spring lose it's catch, it might make it easier. Glad you found one, they're getting kinda scarce now that the real r/c guys know about them. There's a txt file with all the mods listed in it over on rcg, just do a search for "x-twin mod" it's near the end of the thread.

Todd

frvrngn
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Never thought about the range issue with the tx batteries getting worn down. I will pull mine out today and charge them back up. Thats the one bad thing I have heard about this little plane. When it gets out of range it likes to go full throttle and just fly away until a breeze can knock it into a spiral or the battery dies. I have been keeping it pretty close and low because of that.

My next one I want to pull the bottom wings off and shave down the fuse where they attach. From what I read about it, it makes the plane a lot faster and more maneuverable. I'll leave this one alone for the backyard and take the quicker one out to the little park in my develpment. Luckily my local TRU has several in stock!

spark
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
In case anyone is having problems with their AA having a left or right turning tendency, this pic shows how the motors should both be pointing straight ahead and parallel with the fuselage stick. They are sometimes put on at an angle at the factory which can cause the turning problems.

Edit: It is not difficult to remove the motors and reposition them in the correct orientation. They are just stuck on with contact glue.

qban_flyer
12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I just picked up an Orange channel C. It flies great! I cant believe how fun this little plane is for $30. The orange one is the one I wanted, it was damaged slightly so I went with the black & siver one on channel A. Best $30 I spent on this hobby in a while.Absolutely correct! :D

qban_flyer
12-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, agree the best $30 I've spent in r/c after 15 years. No other "toy" out there is capable of this much.

qban, just like hoppy said, it's a matter of 5 minutes or so...there is a screw on the side of the throttle stick if you need to loosen it a bit to make the spring lose it's catch, it might make it easier. Glad you found one, they're getting kinda scarce now that the real r/c guys know about them. There's a txt file with all the mods listed in it over on rcg, just do a search for "x-twin mod" it's near the end of the thread.

Todd

Thanks for the tip on other mods.

Yes, I know the "real" R/C guys will be snatching them up from the shelves. I sent a mass e-mailing to my R/C list this a.m., and four of them have purchased the A/A so far. Too bad the channel range is limited to only three frequencies.

This thing is a fun filled bargain! I'm gonna get two more as Christmas presents for two of my nephews. They have been pestering me to get them R/C planes, but so far I have been reticent to do so in case they don't stick with it. The Aero Ace solves that problem. :D

qban_flyer
12-05-2005, 08:50 PM
In case anyone is having problems with their AA having a left or right turning tendency, this pic shows how the motors should both be pointing straight ahead and parallel with the fuselage stick. They are sometimes put on at an angle at the factory which can cause the turning problems.

I noticed that defect on two of the ones I rejected. The orange one, the one I liked best had one of the motors misaligned. One of the red ones had a warped wing.

My black & silver turns on a dime both right and left, and the trim button on the TX works admirably. :D

WHAT A BARGAIN!

hoppy
12-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Now my AeroAce (#3) has a skipping motor. hmmmmm, cough,hmmmmmmmmmm,cough,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mm,cough,hmmmm,cough
..well you get the point.
Anybody else had this problem?

qban_flyer
12-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Now my AeroAce (#3) has a skipping motor. hmmmmm, cough,hmmmmmmmmmm,cough,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mm,cough,hmmmm,cough
..well you get the point.
Anybody else had this problem?

HMMM!!!

Mine is only one day old, I wonder if I should get it vaccinated against the Aero Ace flu? That cough doesn't sound good at all. How long have you owned your Aero Ace Hoppy?:confused:

PS. I just disabled the clip/spring from the throttle stick. Wasn't bad at all.

savydad
12-06-2005, 06:04 AM
frvrngn, I forgot to say, I've pulled the bottom wings off mine, it does fly faster, but more stable. The range problem is that the throttle keeps the last setting it was at when it goes out of range, so if that's wot it will stay there. I've went running after mine a few times after a short climb out to get it back into range. I wouldn't worry about flying it mono in the backyard, I fly mine in about a 50x50 with the mono no problems. The charge lasts longer and it doesn't like to porpoise near as much, plus it will handle a decent amount of wind like this too. Have Fun!

Todd

hoppy
12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Another Question -
If I throttle up and then turn the TX off, the motor will run for maybe 3-10sec and then shut off. Does yours do the same? I've read that they will just keep running forever but mine shuts off after a bit. Knowing if others does the same thing will help me isolate my motor skipping to the rx or the tx.

spark
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
After I turned off the Tx, the revs decreased twice in about 10 secs which may not have kept the AA in the air, but the motors kept running.

hoppy
12-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks start, I had the 'rev decrease' happen once in 5 TX shutoff tests. So it looks like it might be a RX problem. LOL I hope t-r-u gets a new supply in....for some reason, their stock has been depleted.

frvrngn
12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
hoppy - I did the tx shut off test today, mine just keeps on running at full throttle till I turn the tx back on and cycle the stick to turn the motors off.

On that note - I am having some serious range issues today. Normally I just fly in my back yard. Today I took it to my little park/soccer field in my development. It will only get out about 50-60 feet before the range is shot. I had to run after it a few times as it will just stay powered on and keep flying when it loses signal. Not fun to run after a little orange speck cycling the throttle on and off hoping to cut the motors. My batteries are pretty fresh too (only 4 charges on them). I could occasionally get it flying out to 75 feet or so but it was pretty sketchy. I didnt want to gain any altitude with the controls being iffy so I have been keeping it at 20ft or under. Anybody extend the antenna? I dont know if I can solder anything to that tiny little wire without melting the wire! I just have a Weller 25w pencil.

I did try flying with just the top wing today since it was a little breezy. It definately flies faster that way but will tip stall pretty quick if a breeze caught it. Otherwise its actually a little more stable in regular flying. It didnt porpoise as much. With both wings on today I could get it to hover near perfectly with the wind we had! I'd just toss it up and keep modulating the throttle against the wind. It would stay in the space of a car easily! When done I just dropped the throttle and it fell into my hand. Still really happy with the little plane, I just need a little more range...

tann200
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Got the x-twin aero ace today (yellow biplane A channel). Flies really great, considering there is -2c and a bit windy outside. I have a small flu, but still was too tempted to go outside and test fly it. Even my girlfriend gave a try and she was thought its cool.
Got already 2x 15 minute flights out of hit, and planning to do another trip outside :P This thing really performs, even in factory setup.

hoppy
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
If you do lengthen the antenna, it should be 2X or 4X of the original length. Some have done it.

If you got it from tru, I'd just take it back and exchange it. SOunds like the TX/RX tuning is off.

spark
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM
60 feet seems to be a common number mentioned as the max distance for the AA and there have already been a number of fly-aways, so I doubt if exchanging it for another will do you much good as far as increasing the range.

There have been a few mods to increase the range, such as using 8 rechargable nimhs instead of 6 alkaline cells, by adding two more nimhs to the outside of the back of the Tx.

This guy took his AA apart and added a 10 inch antenna to the Rx in addition to the already existing antenna and says that his range is now about double what it was.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4648035&postcount=751

spark
12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Here are links to a couple of pics that show the inside and electronics of the AA...

Inside the AA -
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/1/3/5/4/3/664415.attach?o8OyozIxDzxhnaOaBmL7AQDkAGgcoJSaMFHl EzcjMJp=

AA electronics -
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/4/2/5/8/3/532283.attach?JP6Hq7yhYzcjMmf6ZmVlBQZ2nJ6uM7HyZxMd pTIa

The TX extra nimhs mod -
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/7/9/5/7/8/656427.attach?ISugo7DgL74gpTkyqTHhnaOaBmL6AwDlAmgc oJSaMFHlEzcjMJp=

qban_flyer
12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Haven't had any range problems with mine so far. I have flown it as far away from as 125' or so. Rather difficult to see at that distance.

I flew mine today again. It's the first flight since the throttle stick mod, much easier to control than before.

I can even get it to loop (using the porpoising effect to my advantage). I get it high enough (100') then apply hard left to get it into a dive. I keep the motors off 'till about 50' off the grass after which I apply full throttle, the combined speed or the dive, thrust of the motors and porpoising characteristics of the A/A makes it go into one "sorta loop" maneuver.

Rather peculiar. Next thing I will try is to get it higher and see if I can get it to spin. :D

spark
12-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Although the AA will likely fly for a long time without damage, save the electronics and you may be able to adapt them to this little bipe from Harbor Freight....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91311

qban_flyer
12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Although the AA will likely fly for a long time without damage, save the electronics and you may be able to adapt them to this little bipe from Harbor Freight....

This one here looks promising too. Better than 900' range and a conventional tail would make it rather easy to adjust and fly. The fact they promise 15 minute flights lead me to believe they are using Li-Pos here too! :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92912

hoppy
12-07-2005, 03:26 AM

I understand that is a modified Acro-Bipe - is that correct?

AA #3 still dropping power momentarily- Can't find anything that causes it. Guess I could dig out some electronic test equipment and look for glitches. BTW, my range has been at least 150' on the 2 models I've had.

spark
12-07-2005, 05:58 AM
hoppy, not sure what an Acro Bipe is. Do you have a link?

150 feet is very good range, that's a keeper if you can get rid of the cough. I just wanted to let other users know about there being a number of fly-aways due to short range and to be careful in that regard. A range check may be in order before you try flying too far away.

If we knew a ham operator, maybe he could tell us how to make a simple field strength meter and how to tune our Tx for max output. Looks like the Rx has a tuning coil, but you would almost need an o-scope to tune the Rx. Best idea would be to just put a longer antenna on it if you're having range problems.

The Big Lots sale ad that was in today's mail, has Targus nimh's on sale. They have both 2200ma and 2000ma Targus nimhs. Anyone know if Targus nimhs are any good? They would come in handy for the AA Tx.

frvrngn
12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
150ft?!? I would love that! I lost mine to a roof this evening. Luckily the wind knocked it off since it was 30ft up. I wasnt any further than 40 ft max including altitude and it just kept on powering away & up. Luckily it hit the roof, otherwise it would have been in the woods. I have the batts back in the charger for overnight and going to try again first thing in the AM when the winds are calm. If it goes awol again the bottom wings are getting glued back on and its heading back to TRU. Its only a couple days old. It flies great if I can keep a signal going to it. If you guys are getting 150ft out of 'em, its just not worth tweaking vs. taking it back.

EDIT: I just did a range check in my house. My whole first floor is open from end to end so it made it easy. I can get a whole 30feet before it gets glitchy. This is with brand new Akaline's I threw in for the test. 40ft I get nadda. 35ft was iffy if I moved the tx around, certain angles worked a little better, but at 40ft zip no matter what. Guess I am heading back to TRU at lunch. I hope they have more! I still think its a great little plane to have around. Just too much potential to give up yet!

qban_flyer
12-07-2005, 01:35 PM
150ft?!?I just did a range check in my house. My whole first floor is open from end to end so it made it easy. I can get a whole 30feet before it gets glitchy. This is with brand new Akaline's I threw in for the test. 40ft I get nadda. 35ft was iffy if I moved the tx around, certain angles worked a little better, but at 40ft zip no matter what. Guess I am heading back to TRU at lunch. I hope they have more! I still think its a great little plane to have around. Just too much potential to give up yet!

Were you pointing the antenna in the direction of the plane? If so it would account for you loss of signal?:confused: The so called "cone of silence" comes into play when the TX antenna is pointed in the direction of the RX.

qban_flyer
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
I understand that is a modified Acro-Bipe - is that correct?

AA #3 still dropping power momentarily- Can't find anything that causes it. Guess I could dig out some electronic test equipment and look for glitches. BTW, my range has been at least 150' on the 2 models I've had.

Hoppy.

If the power drop affects both motors it could be a problem with the throttle pot. Try and move the stcik rapidly up and down to dislodge any possible foreign matter from the pot's wiper.

If only one motor is being affected it could be the steering pot, in which case you would have to move the steering stick right and left rapidly to see if it corrects the problem.

If you can't correct the problem, take it back! They have a 30 day return policy for refunds and or exchanges.

hoppy
12-07-2005, 02:19 PM
It's both motors and I've tried the 'exercise the control' trick to no avail.. maybe some contact cleaner would do the trick. I hate intermittent failures. I've banged it, shook it, pulled it, and I can't get it to skip but then as I'm sitting there looking at it, a skip drops in for a visit.

frvrngn
12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Took the little guy outside today to do a range check. Was a little better depending on how the plane and TX were orientated. I placed it on a stool and walked around it in growing circles cycling the throttle. I got a whole 45 feet before it started glitching! 15 feet can be a lot for a plane this small, but I think thats still far too short a range if others are getting over 100. Its off to TRU I go! I plan on buying 2 this time though :)

qban_flyer
12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
It's both motors and I've tried the 'exercise the control' trick to no avail.. maybe some contact cleaner would do the trick. I hate intermittent failures. I've banged it, shook it, pulled it, and I can't get it to skip but then as I'm sitting there looking at it, a skip drops in for a visit.

I wonder if that spring clip throttle return thingy is not there to put pressure on the pot components and to preven this from happening. Mess with the "trim" pot also, one can never know what could be failing here, though I think in your case it is the throttle pot. If it keeps doing the same thing, take it back and exchange it for another one.

I plan on flying the living wings off mine for the first 30 days just to make sure it does not go haywire on me after the 30 day grace period is over.

I flew it htis morning without the throttle spring for the first time. What a difference. I can now make it climb instead of porpoise all over creation and landings are much easier. :)

qban_flyer
12-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Took the little guy outside today to do a range check. Was a little better depending on how the plane and TX were orientated. I placed it on a stool and walked around it in growing circles cycling the throttle. I got a whole 45 feet before it started glitching! 15 feet can be a lot for a plane this small, but I think thats still far too short a range if others are getting over 100. Its off to TRU I go! I plan on buying 2 this time though :)

I can't fly mine any further than 125' unless I wanted to hit the trees. So far it appears that the range on mine is OK.

I stopped by two other Toys "r" US stores in the area and they had everyting Airg Hogs related, but the Aero Ace. I want to get a couple more to give as X-Mas presents. I'm a cheap skate! :D

spark
12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I've banged it, shook it, pulled it, and I can't get it to skip but then as I'm sitting there looking at it, a skip drops in for a visit.

Don't look at it. :p

frvrngn
12-07-2005, 08:56 PM
I just got back from TRU. They only had two left, so I took both of them. I got another orange and a silver/blue. At least they are on different channels! Over the weekend when I bought my first orange, they had at least 7 or 8 in stock. These little planes are popular! I wonder how many are being bought as gifts for kids vs. rc guys like us buying them all up...

Hopefully at least one of my new ones will have a better range. It was great fun to fly when I had control over it! EDIT: Orange #2 has much better range. It was over 60 ft, then I was running out of yard for my range check and it was getting hard to hear it running. BUT - it flies Aweful. The right engine is spinning signifincantly faster than the left. Its very audible and visual, when the throttle is cut the right engine takes a good second longer to spin down. So it just wants to fly around in left hand circles. The steering trim is less than helpful. If I hold it my hand with the throttle on and move the little pot back and forth I can hear very subtle variations, but it seems to have sweet spots where a lot of change happens and then nothing. Even with full right trim it still flies in left hand circles. The new plane will also not gain any altitude. I have to stay full throttle to keep the circles head high. If I give full right stick it will just make larger left hand circles and drop altitude. Back to TRU but they dont have any more in stock. I hopefully the blue one will be the best of both...

EDIT #2) - Third time is a charm! The Blue/Silver flies fantastic. I havent lost signal yet and it flies so smooth and stable. Its actually a better flier than Orange #1 which I thought was a great flier. This one makes that one seem like a bad flier! So - if you have glitches, or a funky flier take it back. There are good ones in the mix, you just have to be patient!

qban - have you taken the lower wing off yet? It will be a whole new plane to fly. More stable and quicker, but you can still fly it in small areas easily. I am happy I didnt do the throttle mod to the one I had to return but if one of the new ones is a keeper thats first on my list after the wing removal.

qban_flyer
12-07-2005, 11:34 PM
These little planes are popular! I wonder how many are being bought as gifts for kids vs. rc guys like us buying them all up...You'd be surprised to know how many 'regular' R/C guys are getting those for themselves!:D

EDIT #2) - Third time is a charm! The Blue/Silver flies fantastic. I havent lost signal yet and it flies so smooth and stable. Its actually a better flier than Orange #1 which I thought was a great flier. This one makes that one seem like a bad flier! So - if you have glitches, or a funky flier take it back. There are good ones in the mix, you just have to be patient! There is something about that Silver color that makes them fly better! Mine is Black/Silver. :D

qban - have you taken the lower wing off yet? It will be a whole new plane to fly. More stable and quicker, but you can still fly it in small areas easily. I am happy I didnt do the throttle mod to the one I had to return but if one of the new ones is a keeper thats first on my list after the wing removal. Not yet, I may do that over the week end. I am having so much fun with it the way it is, I hate to mess with it before it's time. How difficult is it to remove the lower wing? :)

hoppy
12-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Don't look at it. :p

I tried your suggestion but it was awlful hard to fly, and not very enjoyable either.

sikorsky
12-08-2005, 12:35 AM
There is a question:
Can I use the components of the Silverlit/Airhogs to do a sweet 2mot airplane of my own design?

NitroCharged
12-08-2005, 12:56 AM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484)
Check out the action in this thread! :)

hoppy
12-08-2005, 01:56 AM
[quote=start;26942]hoppy, not sure what an Acro Bipe is. Do you have a link?
If we knew a ham operator,

quote]

acro-bipe
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432816&highlight=acro+bipe
Search for funcraft also

If we only knew a ham operator - LOL - "he could tell us how to make a simple field strength meter " I'll send you a schematic if you want one...it's old. Just start walking away from the TX, when the glitching starts, turn the adjusting screw so it's better.:)

Here's your simple field strength meter-
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/noapr97.htm
http://cs.okanagan.bc.ca/ve7ouc/eng/kc6wdk-mirror/fsm.html

The problem is you don't know what frequencies are getting stronger/weaker.

spark
12-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Ham guy, eh? Do germanium diodes (1N34) go bad? Would some from 45 years ago still work? LOL

I would just connect the FSM to a scope and tune it that way. Still don't
know what frequency its using though. What's up with your calorie...er....frequency counter? Shouldn't it be reading 27+/- mhz rather than 2 whateverhz? Go check out the FCC Id. Num. It should tell you what freq. they're on.

qban_flyer
12-08-2005, 05:10 AM
There is a question:
Can I use the components of the Silverlit/Airhogs to do a sweet 2mot airplane of my own design?

As long as you are happy with differential steering (roll-yaw) and don't need elevator control I suppose you can. You can trim it for a nice shallow glide with no power and use its throttle to control its climb angle and attitude. :)

hoppy
12-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Ham guy, eh? Do germanium diodes (1N34) go bad? Would some from 45 years ago still work? LOL

I would just connect the FSM to a scope and tune it that way. Still don't
know what frequency its using though. What's up with your calorie...er....frequency counter? Shouldn't it be reading 27+/- mhz rather than 2 whateverhz? Go check out the FCC Id. Num. It should tell you what freq. they're on.

They are 27mhz - but I'm wondering if it's pulsed which would screw up my counter. But I'm not getting out my scope to look at it but I do have a continuous coverage RX which can tune that frequency. Is it worth it? nahhhhh.

sikorsky
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
@qban_flyer

I would like to do either a Piaggio Avanti 180 (pusherprops) or a very small Shorts 330, the plane from which I have send pics to you.:)

qban_flyer
12-08-2005, 11:37 PM
@qban_flyer

I would like to do either a Piaggio Avanti 180 (pusherprops) or a very small Shorts 330, the plane from which I have send pics to you.:)

The Piaggio Avanti would lend itself to this type of radio since it uses a pusher type twin power plant with counter-rotating propellers.

Are you planning making it out of Depron of vey light balsa? :)

hoppy
12-10-2005, 11:27 PM
The one with the cough is back at tru. This is a "new" one.

hoppy
12-10-2005, 11:29 PM
WING CHORD LENGTHENING

I saw this earlier and tried it today. The extensions are parallel with the wing shape and about 1/2" deep. Held on with tape on both sides.

The plane flew remarkably differently-
Wing rock was reduced
Very high climb rate
Sharper turning radius

Based on this, I will make it permanent.

Before this mod I tried the drooping winglets. They did nothing for my plane...in fact performance was decreased. I think the guy that used them had a monowing.

spark
12-11-2005, 03:11 AM
How about a side or 3/4 rear view. It's hard to tell whether they're on the top or bottom wing or both. If they're on the top wing, why? Why not the bottom wing, full span. Does it slow it down enough to fly in your living room? With low throttle setting, does it maintain altitude or keep rising?

hoppy
12-11-2005, 04:26 AM
I'll fill you in tomorrow after I run some more flight tests. The extensions are butt jointed and on top wing only. You can do it with a piece of egg carton foam and a couple pieces of scotch tape.

qban_flyer
12-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Glad you posted a photo and description of your experiment, Hoppy.

I'll be waiting for the results of your test flights too. :)

Hivoltage
12-12-2005, 02:30 AM
I had a friend asking about buying his kid a plane to get started into RC. He is tight on cash and I was going to recommend a Slow Stick. After reading about this...I had him pick one up so his son will get one for Christmas and I will be teaching him. I had him pick me one up too.!!!!!!

spark
12-12-2005, 03:06 AM
Although a bit on the small size, for the $$ investment they make a very good RC trainer for someone just getting started. Because of their light weight, they suffer very little or no damage when crashed. Avoid flying them in windy conditions and perform a range check before flying and they should give many hours of pleasure and training.

qban_flyer
12-12-2005, 04:04 AM
I had a friend asking about buying his kid a plane to get started into RC. He is tight on cash and I was going to recommend a Slow Stick. After reading about this...I had him pick one up so his son will get one for Christmas and I will be teaching him. I had him pick me one up too.!!!!!!

You both will love the Ari Hogs Aero Ace. Make sure he gets them on different channels! :)

spark
12-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Save a few bux....

http://toysrus.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_toysrus/roto_differentlyabled_a/products/65537.jpg?sid=6397

qban_flyer
12-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Save a few bux....

http://toysrus.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_toysrus/roto_differentlyabled_a/products/65537.jpg

Thanks!!! :)

qban_flyer
12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
I accidentally discovered the motors are "fastened" to the wings with double sided servo tape, so if anyone's A/A motor's seem to be out of alignment, all one has to do is to "peel" it off and re-attach to the wing in proper alignment. :p

spark
12-12-2005, 07:10 PM
With the Tx antenna 'down' on my first set, I put it on a ledge on the block basement wall and gave 1/3 throttle. I walked the AA 17 steps (50 feet) to the other side of the basement and the motors continued to churn happily.

Just had to check to make sure that $5.00 off coupon still worked.

It did. :D

Sure wish the temp would go over 20* so I could go outside and try it.

Mike Freas
12-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Wish I would have had that 5 bucks off when I went shopping. Santa just picked up another Hog for my son. Now I can have his!

qban_flyer
12-13-2005, 03:44 AM
My Aero Ace was flying beautifully trimmed, in calm weather this morning, and I was having a ball with it. It was way up in the sky when its right motor stopped working altogether and sent it into a right spin. :o

I throttled back, but by then it was headed in the wrong direction and too close to a church's rooftop. It is now resting comfortably there, four blocks from home. :o

Nope, there is no way in you know where I'm going to ask the priest permission to go fetch it! :eek:

Went to TRU to get another one, out of them. Will try other stores! :p

I have printed the coupon just to save myself a few $$$$$ :D

savydad
12-13-2005, 09:16 PM
If you do ask, you might get a few involved after they retrieve it for you...my church loves when I bring my planes to their lot. I always get a crowd if it's not too cold, and I've considered getting an indoor event scheduled in our gym. The churches are really liking it when anyone can use their property for enjoyment, and usually willing to help out. I fly my bigger planes at a church right beside my house and they have soccer some nights during the summer....great attention, and I answer questions when they start showing up. Haven't risked anything yet, as I land when anyone gets close, but they all like it, especially the kids.

Todd

frvrngn
12-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Same here, I have a church next door to my development with a huge field that I fly in all the time. The grounds keeper used to fly control line back in the day! I had my Slo V out the first time he came out to see what was happening. He was amazed at how quiet and light weight the plane was. He always pops out to watch me fly now. I brought my Mega powered wing out a while back and he was shocked that something battery powered was that fast (and loud!). I dont fly there when service is in or something is going on at the fields. I dont trust my flying ability enough with that many people around. I even offered to let him fly my SloV around, but he kindly refused.

qban - If you dont ask, just keep checking back. The plane is so light that the smallest gust will blow it off the roof. Mine ended up on my neighbors roof a few days ago. By the time I stopped talking with him, got my long extension ladder out and setup, the plane blew off! I was just starting up the ladder when it came fluttering down.

qban_flyer
12-13-2005, 09:59 PM
qban - If you dont ask, just keep checking back. The plane is so light that the smallest gust will blow it off the roof. Mine ended up on my neighbors roof a few days ago. By the time I stopped talking with him, got my long extension ladder out and setup, the plane blew off! I was just starting up the ladder when it came fluttering down.

I went by there this morning. No sign of the little thing yet, though there hasn't been any winds to speak of to move it yet. :o

I'll keep checking two or three times daily. The only thing that worries me is that tomorrow night and Thursday morning we are going to have sleet and freezing rain! :eek:

1987tc
12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Since I live in a little bump in the road town there is no local source for this plane. Does anyone have a link to some place online that carries them?
Wes

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Since I live in a little bump in the road town there is no local sourse for this plane. Does anyone have a link to someplace online that carries them?
Wes

Wes,

I've been told that Amazon.com sells them. :confused:

Aero Ace Air Hogs links are listed below.

http://www.spinmaster.com/products/whatsNew.jsp

http://www.spinmaster.com/products/airHogs/airhogsProduct.jsp?key=178

frvrngn
12-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I wish Amazon sold them. I have all these gift credits for them from my Visa. There was a place online in this thread but they are sold out. My local TRU is out and they dont know when they are getting more in. I stop by there every couple days on my lunch break and no luck. The first time I walked in they had 5 or 6! I should have bought the all ;) At least my #3 Silver/blue is still going strong :D

1987tc
12-14-2005, 11:53 PM
spinmaster shows information but has no information on where to buy.

usopa
12-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the 10 bucks in coupons,I bought two today,one for me and one for a friend who has no flight exp. like me. I chased that thing all over his backyard in 6 inches of snow, i bet that was a site,,two old geiser`s playing with a little plane!!! Queston? what are the three aluminum tab decals for.

Hivoltage
12-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I just opened mine and wasn't too impressed, but I havnt flown it yet. There is no elevator that I can see.

DannyR
12-15-2005, 02:34 AM
I just opened mine and wasn't too impressed, but I havnt flown it yet. There is no elevator that I can see.

The elevator needs to be cut loose. Look at the instructions that came with the plane and all will be clear.

Danny

DannyR
12-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the 10 bucks in coupons,I bought two today,one for me and one for a friend who has no flight exp. like me. I chased that thing all over his backyard in 6 inches of snow, i bet that was a site,,two old geiser`s playing with a little plane!!! Queston? what are the three aluminum tab decals for.

If you place them on the elevator tabs (one on each elevator half) and one on the rudder, and cut the rudder and elevator tabs loose on the ends the aluminum decals will provide a way to hold the control surfaces in whatever position you put them in. This allows you to physically trim the plane's flight characteristics.

Danny

usopa
12-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Thanks Danny I`ll give that a try.

Mike Freas
12-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I simply added a screw with two small washers to the nose to trim the bird. The thing comes out of the box tail heavy so adding a bit of weight to the nose makes it fly much better. I didn't need to use the tabs that came with it, the elevator and rudder tabs don't really need them.

frvrngn
12-16-2005, 06:00 PM
qban - did the little guy make it down from the church yet? We had quite the ice storm yesterday. I have tree limbs and bushes down all over the place. I guess you guys got it too. Hopefully it blew off before turning into a popcicle!

qban_flyer
12-16-2005, 10:39 PM
qban - did the little guy make it down from the church yet? We had quite the ice storm yesterday. I have tree limbs and bushes down all over the place. I guess you guys got it too. Hopefully it blew off before turning into a popcicle!

Nope!

The ice storm came and went and the little Aero Ace must have turned into an Aero Ice up on that roof! :eek:

I'll be getting me another one tomorrow at TRU. :)

hoppy
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
A Mod to make "Turn Control" active when throttle is off.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454609#post4766124

sikorsky
12-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Today I had my maiden with the X-Wing Bipe.
Model is very nice (black fus, upper wing red), but pumps while flying. Normal flight only possible at 1/3rd power.

hoppy
12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
That's the way she flies...

NitroCharged
12-22-2005, 12:40 AM
mine too - full power and its like its trying to loop :D
I have a small nut stuck to the nose of my xtwin to keep it level at 1/3rd throttle

Mike Freas
12-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Yup, just a bit of weight on the nose will fix that.

qban_flyer
12-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Or use the elevator trim tabs. All it requires is a bit of down trim to get it to climb at a respectable angle without looping.

I adjusted mine by test gliding it after each tiny adjustment. Shades of the old single channel days. Once I got is to glide at a very nice shallow angle in a straight path, eveything fell in place after both elevators and rudder tabs were adjusted.

I'll have to try the above described mod to steer it with the throttle off. Since I have an extra TX on the same channel, I can afford to mess with it.:o

NitroCharged
12-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Let us know if you do the mod. It would be good to get feedback from those who try it. :)

RonJ
12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
MOTOR ALIGNMENT TIP
Took two new AA's to our weekly indoor session (rubber & small electric flyers). Good group of trimming experts were on hand. Found out that if you align the motors so the props are parallel to the trailing edge of the wing the turning ability is much better. One took four small servo screws to balance, mine took only 3 (in the nose).

hoppy
12-29-2005, 05:11 AM
OK, I guess 'pointing in' as described by nitrocharger is a little more prop towards the tail than 'parallel to the wing' but still more inward than the as received condition so inward as in pointing more to the tail is the way to go.

Now try the cut off 1/3 of the vertical stabilizer trick which has been mentioned as a way to further decrease turn radius.

I would try it but my plane was on its way to the South Pole the last time I saw it.

Mike Freas
12-29-2005, 05:18 AM
The second AA that Santa got for my son only had a range of 3 ft! I almost lost the thing when it decided to keep flying. I took it back to TRU but they didn't have any left on the shelf. I hope to have another one on the 3rd. The little flight time I did get with it showed that my older AA is getting tired in the battery department. I don't know if it's work getting a new cell or not.

mrTrout
12-29-2005, 05:36 AM
I bought one for my girlfriend's son, and we kinda opened it up before giving it to him to make sure it was 'safe'... :)
these little planes ROCK!!! I went out and bought 4 more! only one of them needed more than a little trimming before being able to fly properly. Also, they are very light so they can't really fly well in more than a slight breeze. They can fly indoors, if you have a large room (I fly mine at work)
almost indestructable too... as long as you don't step on it.

NitroCharged
12-29-2005, 06:57 AM
sorry to hear the your plane headed into the sunset hoppy :(

hoppy
12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
sorry to hear the your plane headed into the sunset hoppy :(

It was the BiWing with the lower wing removed.... the dang thing would climb at the lowest throttle setting so the more I worked on bringing it back to me in the 10+mph wind the higher and farther away it got. Finally I put the TX down and we waved good-bye to it. I must add that even at a distance where I couldn't see which direction it was pointing, it was still reacting to the turn control function. It was one of those happenings where with each passing second got you deeper in trouble but the hope that things would get better kept you going. 10mph wind, yeah I know, DUMB.

jmauld
12-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Mine almost got away from me the other day. I find that if I put the throttle to the lowest setting and turn it, it will lose attitude, even if it gets into a strong wind. I did try real hard to get it back before I did the turn to bring it down trick. I was amazed at how far it got. I could barely see it, and it was still receiving a signal from me.

meegosh
12-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Got mine flying the other day, I don't know why everyone wants to mod these suckers out right away. These fly perfectly stock. I may consider buying another (if I can find one) to do some mods to but I think I like the way it handles stock.

The only mods I might consider is the throttle spring removal and adding some LEDs so I can fly this thing at night! I need some more info on the LED's though, I do not know what type of resistor I would need to run it off the motor leads.

qban_flyer
12-30-2005, 12:04 AM
The only mods I might consider is the throttle spring removal and adding some LEDs so I can fly this thing at night! I need some more info on the LED's though, I do not know what type of resistor I would need to run it off the motor leads.

That's the only mod I did to mine. Triming the elevator tabs for a shallow glide with no power made it a joy to fly. Unfortunately, I lost it to a Church's rooftop!:o

TRU still doesn't have back in stock.:eek:

nstaller
12-30-2005, 04:39 AM
My son and I took his out for the first time today and we almost lost it. The throttle hung up wide open and wouldnt respond at all. Luckily it landed on a nearby roof where we were able to retrieve it.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

hoppy
12-30-2005, 05:35 AM
My son and I took his out for the first time today and we almost lost it. The throttle hung up wide open and wouldnt respond at all. Luckily it landed on a nearby roof where we were able to retrieve it.

Did you range check it with the TX antenna fully extended? Some have reported very short range. The reason I ask is that when the plane loses contact with the TX, the motors continue on at the last setting. You can demonstrate this by giving the motor power and then turning off the TX with the throttle in a power on position. The motor will continue to run at the last power setting. It would be nice if it turned itself off when it loss signal but that isn't what happens - result - fly away:(

Mike Freas
12-30-2005, 08:50 AM

My new one did the same thing and I returned it. The second AA I got didn't have the antenna sticking out the back like the first. Wonder if that was the problem?

meegosh
12-30-2005, 08:21 PM
My new one did the same thing and I returned it. The second AA I got didn't have the antenna sticking out the back like the first. Wonder if that was the problem?

Hrmm.... mine doesn't have the ant sticking out anywhere. That might have been a problem but I doubt it would really affect it if it was connected properly. Maybe because it was outside the plane that it disconnected it from the inside. No clue man!!! :confused:

hoppy
12-31-2005, 06:51 PM
TARGET had AA's on the shelf today in warm, sunny, Florida.:)

hoppy
12-31-2005, 07:04 PM
A Change in the AA electronics?
My new AA motor's shut down after a 2 sec loss of signal. (Turned TX off with throttle on). The old ones would continue to run.
Is this an anomaly or a design change?

meegosh
01-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I dont know... I hope my target has some. I'll go check in a little. I hate flordia, you guys have all the AA"s and the sun!! :mad:

meegosh
01-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Target didn't have any in stock, checked TRU again and they had one but it looks like one of the wing supports is smashed and it will always turn left. I know I can rebuild it with straws or something but I am just going to return it and wait till they get some more in stock. There's one more TRU to check before I give up!

qban_flyer
01-02-2006, 05:37 PM
I went to my local TRU yesterday looking for another AA. None available, but they had another interesting looking thing. A Tyco R/C Sky Scorcher model with two motors, though not a bipe it's a nice looking 19" wingspan plane to just have around.

I went to check its price on their auto price checker and was floored to see that it retailed for $39.99 but was on sale for $12. I bought the last two they had on the spot.

Came home, charged one up and put a 9V battery in the "TX", a rather funny looking blue box with red buttons affair, similar to some the FlyZone $40 RTF planes use. As the AA and some of the FlyZone models, the Sky Scorcher uses thrust vectoring for turning. The amount of thrust WOT is amazing, but what surprised me most is that unlike the AA, its motors are still operational when the throttle is off, and unlike the AA the S/S still can turn when powered off. Onboard batteries are a 4.8V 130 mil NiMH pack, so I don't expect 10 minute flights out of it as I had with my AA.

AUW is 3.2 oz. Can't wait for the rain to stop so that I can give it a whirl outdoors.:D

n001pa
01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
That is acutally kind neat looking. Let us know how it turns out.

I went to my local TRU and all they had was a two channel bipe that looks just like the AA but is from FlyZone. Is it the same plane? I would have gotten it but the box was destroyed and taped back together. I bet it was a Christmas return.

spark
01-02-2006, 11:10 PM
There are many of these twin-motored thrust steering planes around but none of them have the following that the Aero Ace has been given. The Aero Ace is unique in being the smallest, lightest of the thrust steering planes but is also one of the best flyers, and is nearly crash resistant. I can fly this 8" span model in my back yard but doubt if any of the others with larger spans would fit in the small area. The twin motor thrust steering concept is not new. It just works very well in the AA.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJC6&P=7

The Ultrix bipe was said to not fly as well as the AA, nor for the same length of time.
Any of these other models deserve there own thread since they have nothing to do with the AA other than similar control mechanisms.

Rabbitcreekok
01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I bought the AA and the Ulrtix Bipe. Don't spend the extra $10 on the Ultrix. The motors are either on or off. It has so little power it hardly flies. The AA is a great flyer. As soon as I go to Tulsa, I plan to get another. I have flown my AA in my church gym and it is great. Have not flown it outdoors since the state in on fire and the wind is blowing a gale.

The tail surfaces on mine are slightly twisted and are not parallel with the wings. This causes it to fly large circles to the left. It turns right, but not as well as to the left, of course. I have not tried to trim the turn out. I try to rotate the tube fuse but it doesn't stay. Still is fun to fly.

Has anyone broken a prop yet and if so, where do you get a new one?

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 01:02 AM
That is acutally kind neat looking. Let us know how it turns out.

I went to my local TRU and all they had was a two channel bipe that looks just like the AA but is from FlyZone. Is it the same plane? I would have gotten it but the box was destroyed and taped back together. I bet it was a Christmas return.

I've been told the LHS owner that the FlyZone Ultrix a good very flying machine. He has sold 14 of them and no returns. I think it should fly as good as the Aero Ace since it appears to have quite a bit of thrust.

Its TX operates on the same principle as my Sky Scorcher's, and the motors still run when the right or left "directional" control gets depressed.:)

The Sky Sorcher is a very good flyer too, though it requires more room than my Aero Ace. On the other hand, being a bit heavier it is not affected by the breeze as much as the Aero Ace.

spark
01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Sorry for diluting the AA thread, but this is a new model that I haven't seen before. Uses a motor/prop in the rudder to control direction. Cheaper and has a nice looking Tx. May have to give one a try.

http://raidentech.com/miparetoflyr.html

hoppy
01-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Sorry for diluting the AA thread, but this is a new model that I haven't seen before. Uses a motor/prop in the rudder to control direction. Cheaper and has a nice looking Tx. May have to give one a try.

http://raidentech.com/miparetoflyr.html

You can be an old romantic with one of those -

DannyR
01-04-2006, 04:44 AM
I bought the AA and the Ulrtix Bipe. Don't spend the extra $10 on the Ultrix. The motors are either on or off. It has so little power it hardly flies. The AA is a great flyer. As soon as I go to Tulsa, I plan to get another. I have flown my AA in my church gym and it is great. Have not flown it outdoors since the state in on fire and the wind is blowing a gale.

The tail surfaces on mine are slightly twisted and are not parallel with the wings. This causes it to fly large circles to the left. It turns right, but not as well as to the left, of course. I have not tried to trim the turn out. I try to rotate the tube fuse but it doesn't stay. Still is fun to fly.

Has anyone broken a prop yet and if so, where do you get a new one?

The plastic piece that holds the elevator and rudder is just press fit into the tail tube. The tail tube does not move. Hold the tail tube steady and rotate the plastic tail piece until the elevator and rudder are properly aligned.

Danny

Rabbitcreekok
01-04-2006, 05:34 AM
The plastic piece that holds the elevator and rudder is just press fit into the tail tube. The tail tube does not move. Hold the tail tube steady and rotate the plastic tail piece until the elevator and rudder are properly aligned.

Presto chango. That fixed the problem. I was trying to turn the tail tube in the fuselage. I was afraid the tail would break off if I twisted it.

Thanks a lot Danny

spark
01-04-2006, 05:38 AM
You can be an old romantic with one of those -

That's a good reason to order one....so I did. Will let ya guys know how it works. Looking at the specs, it has an 11.8" wingspan but it weighs 28 oz. Should fly like a lead balloon. LOL. Looks like they have the prop on backwards or the motor spins CW instead of CCW. Be interesting to see "Flies to over minutes" is how many minutes. :D

If that prop in the tail has much thrust, you should be able to turn it in its own length. Should make for good spins.

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 06:03 AM
I can see that tail "rotor" make the model turn to the right or to the left, but not in both directions from what I can see in the photo.

Are they are reversing the motor rotation in flight in order to turn both ways?:confused:

Would that make it a Bi-Rotational Tail plane?:confused:

n001pa
01-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I can see that tail "rotor" make the model turn to the right or to the left, but not in both directions from what I can see in the photo.

Are they are reversing the motor rotation in flight in order to turn both ways?:confused:

Would that make it a Bi-Rotational Tail plane?:confused:

Yes they reverse the motor for turn control. I believe Harbor Freight had a similar plane to this about a year ago. One of the mags reviewed one and if memory serves me they really liked it.

This is also the same company that has the Peter Pan ducted fan that uses the same control set up. I am really thinking hard about trying it out. Let me know how yours turns out.

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes they reverse the motor for turn control. I believe Harbor Freight had a similar plane to this about a year ago. One of the mags reviewed one and if memory serves me they really liked it.

This is also the same company that has the Peter Pan ducted fan that uses the same control set up. I am really thinking hard about trying it out. Let me know how yours turns out.

HMMM!

I may have to reconsider my position on this one as it is a cute one. I also liked the looks of the ducted fan version of it.

My hangar is being taken over by these little planes. The largest one is the a Cub I got at Harbor Freight, not bad though I hate its throttle location on the TX.:eek:

tann200
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
First i had the yellow A channel Biplane, that had range about 75 metres, turned on 3 meter radius and flew pretty good with moderate wind.
Then my friend bought the C channel blue biplane, that performed even better. same range, but tighter turns. he could do a turn on 1.5 meter radius and overall performance was better.
Then my yellow X-twin broke down. The tx wouldnt charge the plane anymore even with new batteries so i replaced it, and got the red monowing.
That one sucks big time. The range at stock setup was 10-15 meters:eek:
then it would climb even at lowest throttle. No level flight.
So i took it apart and changed the rx antenna for thicker and longer wire. got range of 40 metres now. its moderate i would say.
My other friend bought the yellow monowing and it had the same issues that my new monowing. No range, constant climb etc.

So my point is that generally biplanes are better designed and have better radio equipment installed, unfortunately i cant find the biplane version in Estonia anymore.

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
I own three of them.

Although all three of them are supposed to be exactly the same biplane, yet they all fly different. One of them had to have the elevator trim tabs pushed down. The black & silver needed to have the motors re-aligned. The third one flew off the box with no need for any adjustments.:confused:

I like all three! If they had any more channels available, I would get me a few more of them.:D

frvrngn
01-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Qban - did you ever get your little guy off the church roof? I lost one of my 3 up in a tall pine out back over the holidays. Was up there 3 days till the wind knocked it down. Still flies great :) I completely agree they all fly different. My best flier is still my first good one, a silver/blue that didnt need any trimming and has great range. My red one is now my faster flier with the lower wings removed, but that one has occasional range issues. Luckily I can run faster than it flies to get it back into range! My orange one is a good flier with some down trim and nose weight. My wife flies that one, she likes that it doesnt climb very well so isnt worried about it getting to high or far away.

I like the look of those two raidentechs with the tail prop. I am also waiting to see what the new Aero Ace Jet is like. These little planes are lots of fun for such little investment!

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Qban - did you ever get your little guy off the church roof? I lost one of my 3 up in a tall pine out back over the holidays. Was up there 3 days till the wind knocked it down. Still flies great :) I completely agree they all fly different. My best flier is still my first good one, a silver/blue that didnt need any trimming and has great range. My red one is now my faster flier with the lower wings removed, but that one has occasional range issues. Luckily I can run faster than it flies to get it back into range! My orange one is a good flier with some down trim and nose weight. My wife flies that one, she likes that it doesnt climb very well so isnt worried about it getting to high or far away.

I like the look of those two raidentechs with the tail prop. I am also waiting to see what the new Aero Ace Jet is like. These little planes are lots of fun for such little investment!

Nope!

We had a horrendous ice storm the following day followed by bucket loads of rain. I have a notion it is as soggy as it can be so I went out and bought me a few more. One on each channel, though I think the best flyer of them all was the black and silver one, the "flyaway".:o

A friend of mine has one of the silver and blue ones. It flies superbly. Glad to hear your better half is involved in the hobby via the Aero Ace.:)

I was looking at another one they have. It's a tractor type twin motor that has an actuator operated elevator to make it loop. It sells for $39.99, been tempted to get one of them at TRU and comes in black or silver. Really cool looking, but as usual, I forgot its name.:o

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I must have hit the submit reply twice and doubled the post.

The bomber is a really cool looking bird, though.:)

meegosh
01-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey everyone... I now have all three of the channels.. I got one for me, one for my brother and one for my girlfriend. We are all having a blast flying them, even when it is raining(misting)!!! We have created a game you guys could try out, its actually quite fun.

We were trying for mid-air collisions for so long :) We had one, just by pure luck and I made my bro's spiral into the ground while mine did a 360 and kept flying :) We stuck a broom stick in the ground with the other end sawed off flat. We placed a bottle of water with a couple drinks left in it on top of the broom stick. Now we fly around it like bats and try to knock of the bottle of water. It is quite fun, especially at night with all of our leds on. I'll try to have a bystander take a movie of it. It is so funny looking at all the planes trying to go for the bottle of water.

Stupid fun but these things are so indestructable that we just try to break 'em!

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Stupid fun but these things are so indestructable that we just try to break 'em!

That's what these little things are all about!!!:D

FUN!!!:)

zappedalaskan
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Bert,
The true air Hog is the one in your avatar. a bit off topic, but that is one sweet bird, love the cover job :)
Take care,
Jay

Mike Freas
01-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Is anyone else having a hard time getting these? I had to take the one Santa brought back because it didn't have any range. They said that they were getting a shipment in on the 3rd. Well I called today and they didn't have any so I figured I would order one over the phone from them. Well they don't have it in the system and can't help me get one. TRU is worthless!@

qban_flyer
01-07-2006, 01:10 AM

hoppy
01-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Is anyone else having a hard time getting these? I had to take the one Santa brought back because it didn't have any range. They said that they were getting a shipment in on the 3rd. Well I called today and they didn't have any so I figured I would order one over the phone from them. Well they don't have it in the system and can't help me get one. TRU is worthless!@

Try Target and Walmart.

qban_flyer
01-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Each Target store I have visited has had at least eight to ten of them in different colors and all three channles.:)

TRU on the other hand, is out of them in most stores.:o

tom63
01-14-2006, 08:05 PM
me thinks something got lost in translation for the weight :D . that would make it pretty heavy.
i've seen several planes about the same size with a single puller motor and the tiny on in the tail for turns. haven't yet read anything about how they fly. please let us know when you get yours.
thanks, tom

That's a good reason to order one....so I did. Will let ya guys know how it works. Looking at the specs, it has an 11.8" wingspan but it weighs 28 oz. Should fly like a lead balloon. LOL. Looks like they have the prop on backwards or the motor spins CW instead of CCW. Be interesting to see "Flies to over minutes" is how many minutes. :D

If that prop in the tail has much thrust, you should be able to turn it in its own length. Should make for good spins.

tom63
01-14-2006, 08:14 PM
i bought one at walmart wednesday the 11th of december. the box shows 6 frequencies now. walmart had four planes all different freq. looks like they decided to add more.
also i think they are changing the programing. i've read where some posters say the motors keep running at full speed if thats where the throttle was when the tx was switched off to simulate the plane flying out of range. others say their motors shut off completely after two seconds. i hung mine from a dental floss sling and turned the tx off while the motors were running at max. after 15 seconds of nothing happening the plane changed to left turn mode and stayed there.

tom

Kind of long thread.

There are only 3 different frequencies on 27mhz, A, B, and C.
Don't remember if the box is marked with freq. or not. Back of Tx has a sticker on it.

tom63
01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
leds will work without a resistor, the battery voltage is ok and won't burn them out. but a resistor should be added to reduce the current. one in series with each led. you want 100 ohms. radio shack has then in 1/4 watt, they are so small they weigh nothing. i use them to make light packs that plug into any unused receiver channel on my bigger three channel home made planes.

tom

Got mine flying the other day, I don't know why everyone wants to mod these suckers out right away. These fly perfectly stock. I may consider buying another (if I can find one) to do some mods to but I think I like the way it handles stock.

spark
01-16-2006, 04:18 PM
i bought one at walmart wednesday the 11th of december. the box shows 6 frequencies now. walmart had four planes all different freq. looks like they decided to add more.

tom

The box may show 6 color schemes, but there are only 3 channels, A, B, and C, unless you found some boxes that listed D, E, and F as channels. They are all on the same 27 mhz. frequency, they just use different codings to select what channel on they are on.

ronmar1
01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I bought one of these little fellows a while back and fell in LOVE with it.;) Tons of fun and simply indestructable.

I read where they're hard to get in some areas and the local Walley World had a stack of them for $39.95 each. Soooo, I bought 5 more to have on hand.:eek: I knew someone (if not my self) would eventually need one, and I can always use the parts to build my own micro flyer.

I know Walmart is about $10 bucks higher than TRU, but we're not fortunate enough to have a Toys R Us anywhere around here. There's a target in Knoxville, but they are always out of stock, so when I found them I stocked up. Thought I'd need a couple of spares to replace the one I was flying, but it's about a month old now and still going strong.:)

I've not robbed the electronics from one yet. I've been enjoying flying them "as is" too much to opperate on one. I know eventually one will become a parts donor for a new creation.:p

I'll have to say this has been the best money I've ever spent on this hobby and I've been flying for years.

Ron

tom63
01-16-2006, 08:18 PM
the box showed frequencies a through f, mine was f. all six are on 27 mhz. each actually is 27.??? mhz. rather than have people try to remember the exact frequency of their plane they assigned letters. that works good for people with planes numbered that way but isn't much help if you fly at a field with someone flying a plane on 27.145. won't do much good to ask each other what frequency they are using. might be able to find out what the actual freq is for each letter tho.

The box may show 6 color schemes, but there are only 3 channels, A, B, and C, unless you found some boxes that listed D, E, and F as channels. They are all on the same 27 mhz. frequency, they just use different codings to select what channel on they are on.

hoppy
01-16-2006, 10:42 PM
To my knowledge it's like Spary said, the Aero Ace uses a digital control mode and all the A,B, and C planes use the same frequency, not different frequencies, but different digital addresses for the RX. I don't know what D, E, and F are using...it could be just different digital addresses or a different frequency. Interesting that the production line is ahead of the website information which is still showing 3 channels.

Tom,
You seem to have the latest model. Do the motors shut down when the TX is turned off with the throttle in an on position?

tom63
01-16-2006, 10:54 PM
i thought they might, i'd read posts where people said the motors stayed on which would let the plane fly away if it got out of range. then later people posted that their plane's motors shut off after a couple of seconds.
i hung mine from a dental floss sling and shut the tx off with the motors running about 3/4 max. at first nothing happened, the plane was still pushing straight ahead. then after 15 seconds it went into a left turn. i tried it a couple more times at different throttle ssttings and it always went into a left turn after 15 seconds.
by the way, hanging it from the floss sling lets you adjust the motor trim for exact straight ahead thrust. then if it turns to either side while flying you can adjust the rudder. that way you aren't having the motors compensate for a needed rudder trim. i looped the floss under each side of the top wing next to the body. that way the thrust kept it steady. hanging it from a single centered point would let it flop all around.

To my knowledge it's like Spary said, the Aero Ace uses a digital control mode and all the A,B, and C planes use the same frequency, not different frequencies, but different digital addresses for the RX. I don't know what D, E, and F are using...it could be just different digital addresses or a different frequency. Interesting that the production line is ahead of the website information which is still showing 3 channels.

Tom,
You seem to have the latest model. Do the motors shut down when the TX is turned off with the throttle in an on position?

spark
01-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Thought I would repost the Aeroace Tx schematic here that had been posted elsewhere, in case anyone is interested in the electronic side of things.

One member reported that there is a current draw on the batteries even when the switch (SW3) is turned off. You can see why that occurs because the switch only disconnects the voltage (Vdd) from the encoder (U1). It doesn't completely disconnect the batteries from the circuit.

Another item to note is how the batteries have a center tap. What is unusual about that is that only 3 cells (4.5v) provide current and voltage to the encoder and Rf section of the Tx, but all 6 batteries (9v) provide voltage and current to the charger section of the Tx. This can be important when users want to add 2 additional cells to the 6 cells in the Tx to provide more voltage when using rechargable nimhs instead of 6 alkaline cells.

If the additional cells are added in the wrong place, the charger may not perform correctly and may overcharge the lipo cell. The safe way to add more voltage to increase the Tx range, would be to add one nimh cell to the side of the tap that powers the Rf section, although some users have added an additional cell to both sides of the center tap.

touchngo55
01-22-2006, 03:09 AM
i went to the local toys-r us today and low and behold they finally got the areo ace .of course i bout it .have i all charged up and waiting to get airborne.iT seems to me i read a few replies on detaching the spring to the throttle stick.i really prefer the stick to stay at a setting i want.

thanks .ken

spark
01-22-2006, 04:52 AM
The throttle spring mod was mentioned 2 or 3 times in this thread. Just go back to the first post and start reading, you'll find it.

Steely Dan fan
02-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Hello! New to the forum. I was visiting www.aeroacemods.com (http://www.aeroacemods.com) and they mentioned this site. I got into electric R/C last summer, and have flown larger, balsa wood electrics and some foamies. I picked up two AA's, and have been having a blast with them. Got mine at Target. I plan to go get some more and try out some more mods.

One mod that I have done is to take the bottom wing off my blue one (per the now rediculously long thread(s) on rcgroups on the AA). Basically the bottom wing comes off with a little carefully applied pulling. I then sanded the wing root down with my dremel and some sandpaper, and then used the supplied air hogs stickers to cover most of the "scars" from this "operation"

This mod appeared to greatly increase the speed and improve some of the flying characteristics. However, it made the plane fly faster. I kept the second wing on my red one. Now I have one for "slow flying" and one for a (little) bit faster flying!

Next up, I think I may try to put some wheels on it. www.aeroacemods.com (http://www.aeroacemods.com) has a wheels mod, but I'm tempted to just try to make some landing gear of my own. I may, however, try their lighting mod.

qban_flyer
02-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the link to the AA mods page GW! :)

sikorsky
02-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Tomorrow German Toyfair opens at Nürnberg.
I've seen some new Silverlit models are coming.
Best (for me) will be an AVANTI styled pusher.:)

Steely Dan fan
02-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the welcome! :)

Im thinking of trying some Lego plastic wheels, with the plastic "block" part removed (just the wheels and axel) and see if they can work as "landing gear" for the AA.

BTW, if the "humble GWS Slow Stick will always rule the R/C skies", I would submit that the GWS Pico Stick would come in a close second! (I love my Pico!)

qban_flyer
02-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome! :)

BTW, if the "humble GWS Slow Stick will always rule the R/C skies", I would submit that the GWS Pico Stick would come in a close second! (I love my Pico!)

It does, it does!

Both GWS Sticks are Legendary Performers. ;)

I honestly believe there have been more of these two models sold than any other. :D

They are rather popular and Versatility is their middle name. :)

Steely Dan fan
02-02-2006, 03:41 AM
Well, I tried some various LEGO wheels on the AA. They appeared to work reasonably well on the ground, rolled nice, but pretty much made the AA an awful R/C car. I think the angle of attack needs to be higher to attain lift off, so the wheels need to be extended more to get the wings higher and get a better angle of attack. Will continue to experiment...

Mike Freas
02-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Has anyone had any luck replacing the lipo cell and where did you get the replacement? My older AA is starting to lag behind the new one in the power department. Oh and my local Target finally started to carry these. It did however take two trips to get one that worked correctly. I recommend to anyone that wants to buy one to take a screw driver and 6 AA's to test it in the store.

Rabbitcreekok
02-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Mike,

Has anyone had any luck replacing the lipo cell and where did you get the replacement?

They are available at www.aeroacemods.com (http://www.aeroacemods.com) along with some other mods. They are one stop shopping for the AeroAce.

spark
02-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Any of these lipos would work ok in the AeroAce.

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=A0320069&pid=U205373

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V349961&pid=V663460

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V384280&pid=U306800

http://www.maxamps.com/index.html?lmd=38743.678854 click the 160 lipo

Mike Freas
02-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Weird. The largest capacity cell (170 mah) is 3 bucks less then the others. I guess I could pick a few of these up. Thanks.

rahtware
02-04-2006, 12:49 AM
I can't believe I bought one of these.

Had problems with zooming so added weight to the nose as per this thread... yuck! Then I tried realigning the motors... double yuck! I gave up and pulled out one of my "rubber band" books and went through the basics. This is what solved my problem...

The angle of the horizontal stab was set too high!

It now glides in with the power off... The only problem is that even at the lowest throttle setting it wan'ts to climb (no, not zoom). To get it down I have to put it into a set of tight turns until it is low enough and lined up with the lawn, then shut off the throttle and let it glide in.:)

qban_flyer
02-04-2006, 05:22 AM
I solved the porpoising problem on my red one by bending the elevator trim tabs downwards until I was able to achieve a fairly nice straight forward glide, not too shallow, not too steep.

The blue and gray (silver?) one didn't need any trim at all. It flew right out of the box! :D

rahtware
02-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I solved the porpoising problem on my red one by bending the elevator trim tabs downwards until I was able to achieve a fairly nice straight forward glide, not too shallow, not too steep.

The blue and gray (silver?) one didn't need any trim at all. It flew right out of the box! :D Qban

I tried that, but mine was so out of wack that the "trim" tabs didn't have enough effect.

opquickie
02-04-2006, 08:26 PM

The blue and gray (silver?) one didn't need any trim at all. It flew right out of the box! :D

yeah, i hear alot of complaints about the "porpoising" but this is all it really takes. it might slow it down a little but i fly level at half throttle (how it should be) with my single wing and all i do is drop the elevators down a good 20-30*

losi24
02-07-2006, 05:25 AM
i got mine today. i just love the thing to death! just as Qban flyer said, it is sure a cutie! i removed the throttle spring on mine. i got red, channel B. flies great! i get about 8 minute run times. i will post pics when i can figure out how...

losi24
02-07-2006, 05:38 AM
terrible quality, but, o well.

rahtware
02-07-2006, 05:56 AM

Qban

Try the "little stick in front of the vert stab" as that does the same thing, but causes less drag then bending down the tabs...

losi24
02-07-2006, 05:59 AM
rahtware, i will try that trick as mine wont stop porposing not matter what i do.

qban_flyer
02-07-2006, 07:20 AM
i got mine today. i just love the thing to death! just as Qban flyer said, it is sure a cutie! i removed the throttle spring on mine. i got red, channel B. flies great! i get about 8 minute run times. i will post pics when i can figure out how...

Hi Losi,

I have a red one as well. I added a silver and black plus a silver and blue one to my A/A stable last week. Aren't these little things fun? Almost everyone at the clubs I belong to have one of them, some have multiples. :)

qban_flyer
02-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Qban

Try the "little stick in front of the vert stab" as that does the same thing, but causes less drag then bending down the tabs...

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that trick as well. :)

rahtware
02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Qban

I noticed in your pictures that you don't use the stickers. I debated that but gave in to them as I thought they might strengthen the thin tail pieces... Your thoughts?

gsxrpilot
02-07-2006, 04:34 PM
I think the stickers just add unnecessary weight. I used a sharpie to add a little decoration with no weight gain.

rahtware
02-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I think the stickers just add unnecessary weight. I used a sharpie to add a little decoration with no weight gain.

Gotcha... I wasn't sure, so decided to error on the side of safety. I picked this one up for a nephew (8 yrs old) to fly (he wanted to fly my Stryker!), but had so much fun with it I am thinking of getting one for myself!!!

gsxrpilot
02-07-2006, 08:04 PM
OK but just a warning, I picked up the first one for my 6 year old daughter and then 3 more for myself! They are addicting. (maybe I need AAA areoace anonymous :)

Tim Wolff
02-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Weird. The largest capacity cell (170 mah) is 3 bucks less then the others. I guess I could pick a few of these up. Thanks.

The 170 is cheap because it's current capacity (C rating) blows chunks. The MaxAmps 160 has been tested to 12C. To 10C w/o concern about overheating the cell. It is the best bang for the buck currently available in small cells.

rca
02-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Qban

Larry or Qban,

I must have missed this mod, what "little stick" are your referring too? Quick search didn't bring anything up.

Thanks.

Ron

BTW, I got my Aero Ace at Target today. They had about 6 of them. Got the blue one and have charged it up at work and scared one of my neighbors when I fired it up. It looks like I am going to enjoy this.

rahtware
02-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Larry or Qban,

I must have missed this mod, what "little stick" are your referring too? Quick search didn't bring anything up.

Thanks.

Ron

BTW, I got my Aero Ace at Target today. They had about 6 of them. Got the blue one and have charged it up at work and scared one of my neighbors when I fired it up. It looks like I am going to enjoy this.

Post 178, this thread.

rca
02-08-2006, 12:50 AM
D'oh!

Thanks.

rahtware
02-08-2006, 01:14 AM
The 170 is cheap because it's current capacity (C rating) blows chunks. The MaxAmps 160 has been tested to 12C. To 10C w/o concern about overheating the cell. It is the best bang for the buck currently available in small cells.

2nd that!

I have a 2S pack of these lil-darlins and they are working fine with a GWS 4 Rx, 2 Blue Arrow 3.6s, a CC Pixie 7 and a GWS 7060 on a LPS B2C-C that sucks over an amp... The little pack barely gets warm.

qban_flyer
02-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Larry or Qban,

Thanks.

Ron

Love those last sentences! :D

qban_flyer
02-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Qban

I noticed in your pictures that you don't use the stickers. I debated that but gave in to them as I thought they might strengthen the thin tail pieces... Your thoughts?

Photos were taken before I used a black marker to apply a "sunbrust pattern" to the top wing. I didn't want the extra weight of the stickers on the plane, besides I have seen some where the stickers begin to peel off in time. :)

qban_flyer
02-08-2006, 02:58 AM
OK but just a warning, I picked up the first one for my 6 year old daughter and then 3 more for myself! They are addicting. (maybe I need AAA areoace anonymous :)

Where does one join the AAA? :D

trmclean
02-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Hello all!

Been flying an Aero Ace with my daughter for a couple weeks now. Wife saw the fun and now we have three!

My orange "C" version just started acting weird yesterday. Previously, it had been flying quite well and responsive. Yesterday, that changed!

My normally nimble little plane developed a mind of its own. Immediately, I found I had no control and the silly little thing just started flying away in circles. No response to the throttle or the turn controls. Fortunately, the plane hit a low branch in the neighbor's tree and tumbled to the ground. Out of time and a bit leery of any further "flights" I retrieved the plane and left for work. Later that day, I tried again and found the motors were responding intermitently to the controls.

Not sure what changed from one day to the next, but I figured that something must be going wrong in the transmitter or receiver. Fresh batteries didn't change anything.

Anyway, back to Target for an exchange. Fortunately, they had another "C" and I picked it up. We'll see how it responds tomorrow.

One thing, while picking up my replacement plane, I noticed that they had several of the new F-16 planes. Has anyone had any experiences with these? They were labeled for "outdoor" use and a higher level of skill required. Noticed they had NiMh batteries.

Tom

losi24
02-08-2006, 06:42 AM
i got mine to fly right today. now it is great! i am taking mine to idaho with me on a trip. i love the versitility of them!

rca
02-08-2006, 06:59 AM
I just picked up my AA today and had a chance to fly it tonight after I got the rest of the family to bed. My first flights were not glamorous as I flew into several bushes and trees. Funny I never seemed to notice them when flying my Blade CX.

The beauty is that it doesn't seem to matter. The little AA just flew into a tree and lightly fell to the ground. This thing is fun and pretty solid.

That said, since I will be flying at night a lot I think I am going to add some LED's to my AA. I have some extras from Super Bright LED's which I think will work well. I've got the resistor values figured out, thanks to RC Cams website.

My main question, how easy is it to get to the Lipo in these planes. I know I could just tap into the wires running to the motors, but I think I want to wire a little jumper in for the LEDs and run it directly to the Lipo. It looks to me like the top wing covers the access to the Lipos from the top. Can you remove the top wing, make adjustments and then reattach?

Has anybody pulled the top wing off and used rubber bands and some bambo skewers in the fuse to keep it on? That might add too much weight, but I'm just brainstorming as I type.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

rca

rca
02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I guess I was assuming I would remove the lower wing from the bipe if I wanted to use the rubber band method for the top wing.

Food for thought.

rca

losi24
02-08-2006, 02:39 PM
rca,
removing the bottom wing makes the AA quicker. at least, that's what everyone thats done it says. more food for thought if you have a smaller yard.:)

spark
02-08-2006, 10:27 PM
For the problem of the AA stalling and porpoising....

The tail boom on the AA is just thin plastic. To align the stabilizer Angle of Attack to more closely equal the AoA of the wings, it is possible to bend the tail boom. It will likely kink and it usually needs more than one bend (kink) to change the AoA of the stab. It will try to straighten itself but the kinks will leave just enough bend to help align the stab.

In the pic, the two red arrows indicate where I placed the bends and kinks and the long orange line shows how the AoA of both the wings and stab are nearly the same angle. It glides much better without stalling indoors, but there is too much snow outside to try it outdoors.

hogy
02-10-2006, 03:41 PM
hi to u all
bought my first AA in jan. hit on this thread so went out and got 2 more. have put a very small screw (about 1mm longer than eye glass screw) in the nose and bent a little down on rear stab. the glide is pretty good. i fly out front of the house (dead end street) with a lot of trees on each side. it still flies faster than i can run and have to work at it to keep it lower than the over hanging branches. no decals, just sharpie decoration. am new to rc flying and this is the best fun for the buck ive had in a long time. i think these things are definately habbit forming.

gary.

rahtware
02-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Gary

Get rid of the screw and work more on adjusting the elevator.

Weight = speed.

If you want it to fly slower you could, with the bend to the boom that you did, bend down both elevator tabs. The more, that still gives a good glide, the better as they will add a lot of drag.

Drag = slower speed.

Hope this helps.

hogy
02-10-2006, 10:05 PM
:D Gary

Get rid of the screw and add work more on adjusting the elevator.

Weight = speed.

If you want it to fly slower you could, with the bend to the boom that you did, bend down both elevator tabs. The more, that still gives a good glide, the better as they will add a lot of drag.

Drag = slower speed.

Hope this helps.

tks larry

will give it a try. thats beauty of having 3 planes. the slower the speed the better chance i have of missing the trees. even though we had about 3in. of soft snow last night i managed to get in 6 flights this morning as it was a next to nil wind conditions. does not happen to often during the day light hours. last flight the tree got it. got it back, no harm.:D. it has started snowing again and the wind is up just a touch to much.

gary

Mike Freas
02-12-2006, 03:41 AM
Has anyone else had a problem with the TX not charging anymore? My second AA flies great but the charger has quit charging. At first I though it was a loose connection on the circuit board but my other TX charges it fine. I have put several different sets of batteries in it but no difference. I don't want to have to buy another TX just to charge the bird.

qban_flyer
02-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Has anyone else had a problem with the TX not charging anymore? My second AA flies great but the charger has quit charging. At first I though it was a loose connection on the circuit board but my other TX charges it fine. I have put several different sets of batteries in it but no difference. I don't want to have to buy another TX just to charge the bird.

I would recommend that you go back where you bought it at, get a new one, exactly like the one you have. If the TX that comes with the new one charge your plane, then put your "bad" TX in the box and return the newly bought unit back to the store as either defective or as a non wanted.

I had to return one that stopped charging after five uses. I have a notion it was the connector at the TX end. I tried the plane with my other two AA TXs and was able to charge it, so back to TRU I went and did what I suggest above. Everything has been OK since. :o

Mike Freas
02-12-2006, 06:20 AM
The only problem with that is one of the neighborhood kids put a nice kink in the antenna. I have a charger that will charge it if I cut the lead off the TX but that would be no fun having to haul a charger around.

qban_flyer
02-12-2006, 07:56 AM
The only problem with that is one of the neighborhood kids put a nice kink in the antenna. I have a charger that will charge it if I cut the lead off the TX but that would be no fun having to haul a charger around.

Then you can return it as damaged or deffective goods. I have heard others having different problems witheir throttle control not responding properly at times, even when the AA is just two feet from the TX.

I have a notion their electrical connectors to be of, well, shall we say, of inferior quality? Even for a RTF $30 plane. ;)

hoppy
02-12-2006, 03:19 PM

2 solutions - Return it to the store as defective or call Spinmaster and they'll send you a replacement. The Spinmaster telephone number is in the instruction manual.

hogy
02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
? to all AA bi wing fliyers

has anyone tried to add clear tape to make a flap to slow it down,on the lower wing.

also we are 2 to 3 hundered ft. from the local expressway. the channel a for

aa tx is off. the rx is on. all of a sudden, the aa props are on full power
for 3 or 4 sec. ? is what is causing this,cell phone, cb, or ????

dern cannt even get thing to work.

ths guys. gary

Mike Freas
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
2 solutions - Return it to the store as defective or call Spinmaster and they'll send you a replacement. The Spinmaster telephone number is in the instruction manual.

I may just have to try that.

qban_flyer
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Regarding the flap mod, there is another user, elsewhere on this thread who tried that and found it rather nice. It minimized his wing's continual lateral rocking (rolling) and made it a more stable flyer. :)

Oldpilot
02-14-2006, 12:37 AM
LARRY COSTA.

The full qoutation is:- " Nil Panicus et Nil Bastardo Carborundum."

(Translated :- Don't panic and don't let the bastards grind you down".)

Cheers. Patrick. :cool: ;) :D

qban_flyer
02-14-2006, 02:50 AM
i got mine to fly right today. now it is great! i am taking mine to idaho with me on a trip. i love the versitility of them!

Have you given it a name yet? :)

rahtware
02-14-2006, 05:11 AM
LARRY COSTA.

The full qoutation is:- " Nil Panicus et Nil Bastardo Carborundum."

(Translated :- Don't panic and don't let the bastards grind you down".)

Cheers. Patrick. :cool: ;) :D

Oh, but I was quoting the Portuguese version...:rolleyes:

Oldpilot
02-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Larry. LOL. :D

rahtware
02-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Finally got my 10 year old nephew together with his ‘Hog and all I can say is SUCCESS!!!

It flies slow enough so he had time to react and his learning curve was minutes, not days, as with most RC trainers. And the fact that it is almost indestructible is a big plus, more stick time, less rebuilding time. Add to that a decent run time and this little bipe is a real winner.

The only problems that I can see with the little plane are: Unless you are lucky enough to get a good one off the line you do need to know enough about aerodynamics (or know where this thread is) to get most of them to fly at all. The fact that the AA doesn’t use a rudder to steer causes a bit of frustration….

“OH NO it’s going to fast… and it’s heading straight for that poison oak bush!!!” :(

Normal reaction, even for my nephew (who hasn’t been tainted by “normal” RC) was to kill the throttle and then try to turn… Both he and the plane got a good scrubbing. And lastly is the wind factor… DON’T even try to fly the AA in any kind of breeze!

I’m not complaining as all planes are a compromise to solve a specific problem and the AA solves the “how much fun can be crammed into $30” problem very well!:D

Oldpilot
02-15-2006, 03:23 AM
DANG !!!

Uncle Petes Toys, in Warringah Mall are out of stock. Don't expect to have any more in for TWO MONTHS. UGH !!! :(

rahtware
02-15-2006, 04:45 AM
DANG !!!

Uncle Petes Toys, in Warringah Mall are out of stock. Don't expect to have any more in for TWO MONTHS. UGH !!! :(

OP
check this out...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92304

Harbor Freight Tools sell these for $30US. I saw a couple of guys flying these last weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how well they flew. The climb out is impressive and they seem durable...

Although I did see one destroyed when the pilot did a loop to close to the ground... No problem he said as he had bought a $10 insurance policy from HFT when he bought the plane and said it was a "no questions asked" policy!

The only problem I saw was the same as with the AHAA, they also steer using the difference between the two motors... no elevator or rudder... Full throttle to climb and low throttle to drop... No throttle, no turn!

walter2323
02-15-2006, 05:16 AM
I picked one up at Wal-Mart today (normally wouldn't step foot in that place, but it's the only canadian distributor) for $39.92 + tax.

I had a lot of fun learning to fly with reversed steering on this one, as the left-right controls were backwards. Bashed it up pretty nicely and exchanged it this evening for a proper one. I haven't flown the replacement yet, but if it's anything like the first one I had it's going to be a lot of fun! I find it a little hard to control compared to airplanes with actual control surfaces, so that it's hard to fly indoors without smashing into things. I suspect some modifications will help with that.

Most importantly I want to address the climb-stall / porpoising problem... I'll read through your suggestions and see what I can do. The one I returned got better when the battery was half charged, and with a bit of down-trim on the elevator tabs. We'll see!

Fun little thing anyway. Got a second one coming so I can chop one of them up and do some home brewing :)

qban_flyer
02-15-2006, 05:42 AM
DANG !!!

Life is though isn't it? The wait, unless you can find it elsewhere, is worth it.

I bought one fo the Harbor Freight models on Special for $29.99, not nearly as nice a flyer as the Aero Ace. A bit faster and not as sturdy as well. :)

rahtware
02-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Life is though isn't it? The wait, unless you can find it elsewhere, is worth it.

I bought one fo the Harbor Freight models on Special for $29.99, not nearly as nice a flyer as the Aero Ace. A bit faster and not as sturdy as well. :)

WOW!!!

From what I saw I wonder if they are the same planes... The Yellow planes that I watched being flown did very well.

Like I said the climb rate was impressive, better even then my stock Stryker. Of course that came by the planes light weight so the actual flying speed was much lower then the Stryker.

I have to admit that I didn't fly the planes, but the guys flying them didn't seem to be having any trouble getting them to go where the wanted them to go.

qban_flyer
02-15-2006, 06:12 PM
WOW!!!

From what I saw I wonder if they are the same planes... The Yellow planes that I watched being flown did very well.

Like I said the climb rate was impressive, better even then my stock Stryker. Of course that came by the planes light weight so the actual flying speed was much lower then the Stryker.

I have to admit that I didn't fly the planes, but the guys flying them didn't seem to be having any trouble getting them to go where the wanted them to go.

When compared to the Aero Ace, the Harbor Freight Yellow Bee is heavier (over five times), faster, larger and not as forgiving of pilots mistakes as the A/A. The Yellow Bee is a good model, but not one that can be flown from one's back or front yards.

The Yellow Bee wings and tail feathers are made of a different type of foam as the Aero Ace, and its fuselage is made of what appears to be ABS plastic, one that will not take the abuse the Aero Ace endures.

R/C system appears to be similar on both models as they use thrust vectoring for steering. Both are nice flyers for $30, but the Aero Ace can fly in extremely confined spaces while the Yellow Bee can't. :)

spark
02-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Here's a new e-flyer that someone may like.

http://www.raidentech.com/rcfldidorare.html

qban_flyer
02-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Here's a new e-flyer that someone may like.

http://www.raidentech.com/rcfldidorare.html

Now, thats' something cute and very different type of Kat. I like the price too! :D

Thanks for the photo and link! :)

hoppy
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
BINGO! Ding Dong

Getting back to the thread topic, an observation on the flying characteristics of the AA with the lower wing removed.

Plane with no nose weight, motors facing stock (straight back) and neutral elevator.
Much porpoising and severe diving tendency during left hand turns. Diving effect was much less severe during right hand turns. All in all, not very enjoyable to fly.

Moved motors to parallel with wing..no nose weight, neutral elevator.
Plane flew level with no porpoising..turns were flat. I couldn't believe the difference the motor angle made. Only problem was the tendency to climb even at the lowest throttle setting. The "turn mod with throttle off" made this a non-problem though as it could be brought back down with directional control. This motor angle change made it an entirely FUN plane to fly.

spark
02-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Moved motors to parallel with wing..no nose weight, neutral elevator.

Did you by chance mean to say...the motors were perpendicular to the trailing edge and the props were parallel with the trailing edge?

crast test dummie
02-19-2006, 12:58 AM
I purchased a plane almost just like this about a year ago. It was free flight not RC. I gotta get one of these!!!! Very cool little plane. The one I got would fly in circles in my living room, it would climb almost to the top of my celing and then decend. I have 18 ft celings in my great room [new 21 century term for a family room or living room, OH boy!], it drives my cat batty. He [the cat] loves to chase it. I'll have to check at my local t-r-us.

How long does it take to charge the Lipo? Do you charge it with a wall wart? This think beats the Heck out of the $300.00 butterfly that I was looking at and it is perfect for my 8 yearold grandson.

Thanks in advance for the info?

CTD

hoppy
02-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Did you by chance mean to say...the motors were perpendicular to the trailing edge and the props were parallel with the trailing edge?

I meant to say that the crobolizing effect of the offset motors corrects the pibulation of delaminarized flow.

spark
02-19-2006, 03:01 AM
I meant to say that the crobolizing effect of the offset motors corrects the pibulation of delaminarized flow.

That Ding Dong flyer should suit you just fine. :p

SKYPIX
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi all:

Most everybody's questions are handled in this RCGroups thread:

I've got a few of these little guys...they all need tweaking now and then but they're a hoot to fly.

aligning the motors parallel with the wings helps. So does moving the motors further out, but you have to open the fuselage to do that.

I also gooped in the motors, the double-sided tape kept letting the motors drop off the wing in a hard landing. (roof landing; tree landing; car landing, etc. :D)

Also, pulling open the fuselage at the split, carving out some nose foam, and moving the battery forward helps with the porpoising aft-CG thing. It's real easy, takes five minutes, then just CA (foam safe just to be sure) the fuse back together. Piece of cake.

I also pull out the interbay struts, tape over the holes they left,
and it flies just fine.

The RCGroups thread also has info and pictures (click on micro-builder to see his posts to the thread, he's a whiz with the mods). There are mods with upper wing add ons and a lot more.

I added some wing material to my upper wing, pics attached. Left the bottom wing on. Bird flies like a little sailplane: yaws around a bit but completely controllable and very sensitive to any little lift in the backyard.

there are also antenna mods so you can extend the range. these little guys don't have much range and it's a pain to chase them if the wind gets ahold of them, which anything over about 2 mph will challenge your thumbs.

Also many AA owners remove the spring on the throttle so there's not the constant tension. And make it possible to use rechargeable batteries, which is my next mod.

Happy flying!

Jim

leadcork
02-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Isn't anybody building and flying real indoor electrics (5-10 mph, less than 4 oz)? Also, real micro components (weighed in grams and fractions) seem to be very hard to find in the hobby shops. Are we that few?

SKYPIX
02-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Isn't anybody building and flying real indoor electrics (5-10 mph, less than 4 oz)? Also, real micro components (weighed in grams and fractions) seem to be very hard to find in the hobby shops. Are we that few?

read the thread at RC Groups, link posted above: there's plenty of micro building going on as you'll see there.

joe999
02-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Any of these lipos would work ok in the AeroAce.

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=A0320069&pid=U205373

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V349961&pid=V663460

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V384280&pid=U306800

http://www.maxamps.com/index.html?lmd=38743.678854 click the 160 lipo
Are there any fast charges available for this plane?

Will this charger work?
http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=EFLC3000#

Specs:

For 3.7V or 7.4V batteries.
Automatically detects between one and two cells
LED light and beeper to indicate charging status
Protects against reverse polarity
Includes JST (BEC) plug and Mini-T™ plug adapters

Mike Freas
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
For safety the answer is no. You have to remember your charging a lipo cell that can't be charged more then 1c. If I remember right the cell in the AA is 90 mah so that's 9 tenths of an amp if my higher math is right. It only takes my AA like 15 min to charge. Take the money you would have spent on the charger and buy another AA.

joe999
02-27-2006, 11:31 PM
For safety the answer is no. You have to remember your charging a lipo cell that can't be charged more then 1c. If I remember right the cell in the AA is 90 mah so that's 9 tenths of an amp if my higher math is right. It only takes my AA like 15 min to charge. Take the money you would have spent on the charger and buy another AA.

Yes. I thougth about that - getting another Plane. With me, the re-charge time is taking upwards of 40 minutes.

15 minutes sure would be nice. Is this what everyone else is averaging to fully charge your AA?

Mike Freas
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I should have not said 15 min. I don't fly my AA until it's dead so it doesn't take that long. I have seen my sons AA take over 40 min when he flew it until it died. I also have a charging issue I have to resolve....mine doesn't work.

SKYPIX
02-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Sorry, I quoted Joe instead of Mike:

I think that's .09 amps, or 9/100. Milli stands for thousandths, 1000 milliamps is 1 amp per hour. So 1 milliamp is 1/1000th of an amp, 100 milliamps is 1/10th of an amp, so 90 milliamps would be 90/1000 or 9/100 amp, right?

Don't mean to sound like a know it all, :rolleyes: I just figured that's where your charge time calc went south.

Yes. I thougth about that - getting another Plane. With me, the re-charge time is taking upwards of 40 minutes.

15 minutes sure would be nice. Is this what everyone else is averaging to fully charge your AA?

joe999
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Don't mean to sound like a know it all, :rolleyes: I just figured that's where your charge time calc went south.
Hi. Sorry, you lost me there.

When I use the AA Transmitter to charge the plane, it takes about 40 minutes to fully charge the plane. I also fly the plane until is it completely dead.

These planes are sure fun to fly! I am going to get another plane so that I can charge one while flying the other.

Also, Toys R US sure have some very nice and easy return policy. :D I recommend to anyone thinking of buying one to get it a TRU.

SKYPIX
02-28-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah, sorry Joe, I hit the quote in your post instead of Mikes. :o

spark
02-28-2006, 03:28 AM
The lipo in the AeroAce is a 130ma Fullriver lipo. It can't be charged with an external charger other than the AA transmitter. There is a polarity diode in the circuit in the plane that will not allow a different charger to detect the proper lipo voltage.

RookiePilot
03-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey, all.

Love this thread. I bought an AA yesterday and have run it about 20 minutes so far. I haven't had any success. Now, I'm a complete novice with flying planes, but my 20 month-old son loves them, so I thought this would be nice for him to chase.

Problem is, I can't seem to get it to stay off the ground. the throttle doesn't seem to do much of anything, and no matter how I set the flaps (since I don't know what pushing them up vs. down does, I've tried both), it slowly goes to the ground.

I'm thinking about taking this back to Target to replace it. By the way, mine is the yellow and red one, and it turns off if I turn off the remote control.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rookieboy

qban_flyer
03-06-2006, 09:49 PM
RookiePilot,

Take it back and exchange it as it appears to have something wrong with its TX.

Make sure your battery pack is fully charged before attempting to fly the replacement. :D

RookiePilot
03-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Qban,

Thanks for the tip. I took it back and got the Orange and black one. Charged up in about 10 minutes and flew great right out of the box. :D I LOVE it! I had to change the trim knob thing a bit, but nothing major. With this one, I'm concerned that it'll fly too high and get stuck in a tree!

A little different engine behavior in this one. Turn on both power switches, and nothing happens ("uh oh, gotta take this one back, too!"), push the throttle, and the engines rev up and it'll fly. I think I flew it out of range once; it crashed, and it sounded like the motors were still running until I got closer and then they shut off. So I'm not sure whether this one will fly away if it gets out of range.

I've heard so many people describing which colors they have that I've been wondering...is one more reliable than another? In theory they shouldn't be, but it might be interested to have a poll or something that determines that.

I can't wait to fly this one for my son!

RookiePilot

hoppy
03-06-2006, 10:05 PM
The motor "run condition" on loss of signal is an interesting subject. On some AA's, the motors shut off after about 2 sec of no signal. On others, the motors will slow down with one slower than the other to effect a turn but keep running. I just got one directly from SpinMaster and it has the "slow down" mode.

qban_flyer
03-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Qban,

Thanks for the tip. I took it back and got the Orange and black one. Charged up in about 10 minutes and flew great right out of the box. :D I LOVE it! I had to change the trim knob thing a bit, but nothing major. With this one, I'm concerned that it'll fly too high and get stuck in a tree!

A little different engine behavior in this one. Turn on both power switches, and nothing happens ("uh oh, gotta take this one back, too!"), push the throttle, and the engines rev up and it'll fly. I think I flew it out of range once; it crashed, and it sounded like the motors were still running until I got closer and then they shut off. So I'm not sure whether this one will fly away if it gets out of range.

I've heard so many people describing which colors they have that I've been wondering...is one more reliable than another? In theory they shouldn't be, but it might be interested to have a poll or something that determines that.

I can't wait to fly this one for my son!

RookiePilot

Hello RP,

Their quality control must be rather low. I have seen silver ones that are extremely good as well as some that were so horrid they had to be exchanged at the stores. Color scheme makes no difference, it is more a matter of luck with these "things". :)

Try and keep it within 75' from you. This goes for both lateral distance as well as altitude. Failure to do so and chances are you will loose it. :eek:

A friend of mine was having such a ball with his silver one that it got out of range before its "specified" 300' radio range was anywhere being reached. The motors did not stop running so the AA just flew away, we chased after it but we were not able to get it within range again. We looked like two old idiots chasing after that little thing. My red one keeps the motors running non-stop when I turn the TX power switch off, meaning it will keep running should it get out of range (whatever that range may happen to be). :eek:

Last time we saw it it looked like a little peck in the sky happily flying away. Don was very dissapointed and so was I, his was one of the best flying AAs I have ever seen, and we have loads of them in our club. Don't let yours get too far away from you! :)